Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2013, 08:34 PM   #1
twokiddos
Earning My Ears

Charging things to your room? How much?

Just wondering, how much can you charge to your room? I really don't want to be carrying around cash.....would rather pay at the hotel at the end.....

I assume they take debit, right? I also don't want to charge it to my credit card.

We're staying at Port Orleans Riverside if that makes a difference.
twokiddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:38 PM   #2
momto3gr8boys
DIS Veteran

You can charge as much as you want, and with the exception of a few of the small snack carts, you can charge everywhere on your KTTW card. The limit for the mods before they take payment is $1,000. And they do take debit but will put a hold on your card which will tie up your cash. Just make sure to have some extra for that.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

momto3gr8boys is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-19-2013, 09:01 PM   #3
sandyplayer
Mouseketeer

Unfortunately a lot! Like every time my DH wants to walk by the bar and grab two piña coladas....yup charge them to the room....it adds up, we were on the dining plan last time and still had about $1200 in room charges last time

We will be more strategic this time (although DH says no way)
sandyplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:07 PM   #4
jcjen519
DIS Veteran

the max you can charge at a deluxe or dvc is 1500. they may not automatically charge the card when that is hit. we had to call in and ask them to because the cards were being declined. but once you hit the max you want the card charged and then the max starts over. so essentially i dont think there really is a limit.

2015March- 6 days AKV-CL spring break 2014: December: YC CL, 12/12 dream concierge, 10 days AKV-CL July: 4 days boardwalk villas/CR TPV CL June -1 day OKW, 8 days GF RPC May - 4 days GF RPC march-April - 10 days Poly cl/ 2013: Bay Lake Tower TPV, fantasy concierge, bc cl, poly cl (2x), gf sl, vero beach resort 2012 - Vero beach resort, OKW, Poly cl (too many to count before that)
Husband, myself and 4 year old son
jcjen519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:16 PM   #5
msjprincess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto3gr8boys View Post
You can charge as much as you want, and with the exception of a few of the small snack carts, you can charge everywhere on your KTTW card. The limit for the mods before they take payment is $1,000. And they do take debit but will put a hold on your card which will tie up your cash. Just make sure to have some extra for that.

They don't put a hold on your card. They just charge $1 to make sure that the card is valid. The $1 charge drops off in a day or two.
msjprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:05 PM   #6
momto3gr8boys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcjen519 View Post
the max you can charge at a deluxe or dvc is 1500. they may not automatically charge the card when that is hit. we had to call in and ask them to because the cards were being declined. but once you hit the max you want the card charged and then the max starts over. so essentially i dont think there really is a limit.
I never had to call and charged (eek) way more than that last month. They told me they take a payment nightly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by msjprincess View Post

They don't put a hold on your card. They just charge $1 to make sure that the card is valid. The $1 charge drops off in a day or two.
This may be new, and I know they don't hold credit cards, but in 2010 when I used my debit card there was a hold on it. I specifically remember because it became compromised during my stay (someone got the number somehow and I had charges from Germany and Spain while at WDW, and I had to comb through every transaction with the bank while I was still at the BC. There was a hold placed on it at that time and the funds were unavailable.

Old 09-19-2013, 10:43 PM   #7
jcjen519
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I never had to call and charged (eek) way more than that last month. They told me they take a payment nightly?

its only been the case for us once that we had cards declined and had to call. but we were told they charge cc on file when you hit the max...otherwise its done the night before check out i believe?

2015March- 6 days AKV-CL spring break 2014: December: YC CL, 12/12 dream concierge, 10 days AKV-CL July: 4 days boardwalk villas/CR TPV CL June -1 day OKW, 8 days GF RPC May - 4 days GF RPC march-April - 10 days Poly cl/ 2013: Bay Lake Tower TPV, fantasy concierge, bc cl, poly cl (2x), gf sl, vero beach resort 2012 - Vero beach resort, OKW, Poly cl (too many to count before that)
Husband, myself and 4 year old son
jcjen519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 04:05 AM   #8
momto3gr8boys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcjen519 View Post

its only been the case for us once that we had cards declined and had to call. but we were told they charge cc on file when you hit the max...otherwise its done the night before check out i believe?
That's what I thought too. But on this last trip I did some mental math as we were heading to Chef Mickeys and was afraid that might tip us over the limit. So I stopped by the front desk to check and the CM said not to worry as they typically take a nightly payment. Maybe it's new (this was last month)? I would imagine it is easier that way over having to have guests call for authorization. The deluxes have a high limit, but with only a $500 at the values I imagine it happens more frequently.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Old 09-20-2013, 04:50 AM   #9
kristenrice
DIS Veteran

Quote:

That's what I thought too. But on this last trip I did some mental math as we were heading to Chef Mickeys and was afraid that might tip us over the limit. So I stopped by the front desk to check and the CM said not to worry as they typically take a nightly payment. Maybe it's new (this was last month)? I would imagine it is easier that way over having to have guests call for authorization. The deluxes have a high limit, but with only a $500 at the values I imagine it happens more frequently.

Taking a payment nightly makes sense. There have been reports of people putting a CC on file, charging things up to just below the limit and then canceling the credit card. Then when Disney went to charge the card at checkout, it was invalid and the guests were long gone. This happened to an unsuspecting DVC owner who'd rented out their points and the owner was on the hook for the bill.

2001 OKW 2002 WL for HONEYMOON!January 2008 POP/OKW October 2008 AKV GIRLS ONLY! June 2009 AKV October 2009 POP with my BFF for my Birthday April 2010 AKV April 2011 HHI Oct 2011 BLT/BWV with DSiL June 2012 GRAND GATHERING at OKW April 2013 HHI November 2013 AKV *1st Half-Marathon*Oct 2014 Surprising the Nieces at AKV
kristenrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:55 AM   #10
msjprincess
DIS Veteran

I have never had them charge nightly including my trip to the YC last month. They told me at check-in that if I reached the $1500 limit and my card was declined I could tell them to charge my card and then start all over. I was there 12 days so I knew I would go over the $1500 limit. I went down every few days to pay off the balance. Those are the only times that my card was charged.
msjprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:14 AM   #11
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

I have used my debit card for room charging in the past...never had a hold on it. I did have to remember to make sure the debit card allowed more than a $300 a day charge on it though!!!! Got caught once when dh had changed his debit card but not mine...I checked out of the resort a day after he did. And I had left my card as the card of record. The card was declined since I was way over the $300 daily charging limit on that card!!!
On Sept 7, I went to the front desk of BWVs. I told them I wanted my room charges cleared right then...that way I could start fresh since my dh was leaving the next morning. They charged my card for the amount I had run up from the 3rd to the 7th!! There was no nightly charging. Same at the end of my stay on the 11th..it was all charged to my card early that morning.

goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:44 AM   #12
kirby428
Mousejunkie Wannabe

Backup card

Quote:
Originally Posted by twokiddos View Post
Just wondering, how much can you charge to your room? I really don't want to be carrying around cash.....would rather pay at the hotel at the end.....

I assume they take debit, right? I also don't want to charge it to my credit card.

We're staying at Port Orleans Riverside if that makes a difference.
Glad when I had a backup credit card when I hit my MagicBand charge limit after 3 days in the parks and the EPCOT gift shop refused the $10 purchase. Had a 1000 limit at the CR. Easy to get there fast. During 2010 at a value resort it was 500. Hold your nose and hide a big bill in you sock if you don't like plastic. There are always ATM here and there but when the nice CM makes the sale, you want a prepared sock full of options right there on the spot so someone else does not buy that last shirt on earth that is your size XL. They always run out of my XL size only in the one I want the most. (Insert DONALD temper attack icon here).

kirby428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:53 AM   #13
ParrotBill
A parrot's life for me
Stalked by a little Einstein

No nightly charging during my stays at AKV and BCV in August.

We use a debit card that has a VISA charging capability, so I think to most POS system it looks like a charge card. We had no hold and no test charge.

35+ WDW, 2 DL, 1 DLP visits

ParrotBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:55 AM   #14
MKFan-PR
Certified MK Freak! Work is what I do for Vacation money!

Once you put a credit / debit card on file, they only verify if it's valid. No holds are placed on the funds (other hotels do; Disney doesn't). Your credit limit will be based on the resort level: $500 at Values, $800 at Mods and $1000 at Deluxes, IIRC. If you reach your limit, they won't automatically charge the accumulated balance to the card; you have to ask them to do it. Only then will they charge the card and restore your CL. The only time they charge to your card automatically is on checkout. If your KTTW card is declined when making a purchase you can usually solve it with a phone call to the resort, telling them to charge the balance to the card. To avoid issues what I usually do is check our charges every couple of days and tell the CM to charge the card if I'm nearing my limit.

Two words of caution with debit cards, though (from personal experience ):

1) Check if your card has a daily purchase limit, or a maximum transaction amount limit. Call the bank / issuer. If it's too low, you can usually ask them to change it temporarily if you explain that you will be on vacation.

2) With some debit cards, when using it for tourist / vacation items like hotel charges, car rentals, etc, the issuer might debit the amount charged, and will also add a temporary hold on the transaction of about 15% of the amount charged, (for 'incidentals' is how they explained it to me ). The additional amount will be cleared in a couple of days, but it will affect your balance. This means that if you're clearing your balance at, say, a Value, Disney will charge $500, but your bank account transactions will show a charge of $575: the $500 charge plus the additional 15% hold. After a couple of days you'll see the charge revert to $500, with the $75 restored to your account.

'73 - Offsite w/Parents * '75 - CR w/Parents * '77 - Offsite w/Parents * '83 - Offsite w/Parents * 10/94 - CBR - DW * 09/95 - Poly - DW * 11/96 - POFQ - DW * 11/97 - WL - DW * 10/99 - CSR - DW, DD * 08/02 - CBR - DW, DD * 12/03 - Poly - DW, DD * 07-08/05 - POFQ - DW, DD * 12/08 - CBR - DW, DD * 01/12 - AS-Mo DW, DD * 01/14 - POP DW, DD
MKFan-PR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:59 AM   #15
SharonZ
DIS Veteran

There is no hold for debit cards. Although, you should check with your bank to see what your "daily charging" limit is. It's quite possible that you may have enough money in your account, but be denied because your daily charging limiting has been exceeded.
SharonZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: