Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2013, 07:41 AM   #1
Jazzerfan
Mouseketeer

OLD KEY WEST - Food Options?

I know OKW has Olivia's Restaurant; however, was just wondering about the other offerings for just getting a quick bite or cup of coffee??? What about mug refills?

I am considering staying there next August, but want convenience of getting coffee or quick drink refill?

Also, any suggestions on rooms closest to main building (Hospitality House). What is considered "PREFERRED"? The layout map makes me feel this resort might be very spread out. Do I need a golf cart rental or can make around on foot?
Coronado (Apr-2006)
Carribbean Beach (Aug-2007)
All-Star Movies (Nov-2008)
Pop Century (Aug-2009)
All-Star Music (Nov-2010)
All-Star Music-Family Suite (Aug-2011)
All-Star Music (Nov-2012)
Yacht Club (Aug-2014)

SCJCMCMCo
Jazzerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:58 AM   #2
amcnj
DIS Veteran

Hi. Besides Olivia's, there is Good's Food to Go by the main pool area, and also the Turtle Shack by the pool on Turtle Pond Rd.
amcnj is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-19-2013, 08:08 AM   #3
nolanboys
DIS Veteran

We will be staying at okw for the fifth time this March. We've stayed in the HH category only once. The resort is spread out but nothing too bad. Even when we've stayed near Turtle Pond near the back of the resort, it is only a 10 minute walk. The main area has a snack shop to get a quick bite. That is also where there is a mug refill and coffee. There is also a mug refill at the Turtle pond area. We have also gotten sandwiches there. Okw does not have QS food courts like the moderates or values. We like that we have a kitchenette when staying in a studio or full kitchen when staying in a 1/2 bdrm. We ship down dry goods, and have brakfast in our room. We also bring coffee with us and make it with the coffee pot in the room. The store there has a decent variety. Our kids are more than happy to have a frozen pizza or cheese and crackers, yogurt and some fruit for a break from park food. Tecsort may not be for everyone, but we love it. We bought into DVC after staying there twice. We gave our kids the pick of where to stay next March and they all voted OKW. We love the relaxing vibe after being in the parks.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:45 AM   #4
jmasgat
DIS Veteran

I'm a fan of buildings 24 and 25. They are off Peninsular Rd, so quieter. They are close to a bus stop and within short walking distance of HH. I have also stayed in/liked building 11 and bldg 14 (on the right side as you look at the building away from the intersection) These buildings are right across the street from HH. And especially with bldg 11--no buses go by.

Can you tell I like quiet spots?
jmasgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:56 AM   #5
Jazzerfan
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolanboys View Post
We will be staying at okw for the fifth time this March. We've stayed in the HH category only once. The resort is spread out but nothing too bad. Even when we've stayed near Turtle Pond near the back of the resort, it is only a 10 minute walk. The main area has a snack shop to get a quick bite. That is also where there is a mug refill and coffee. There is also a mug refill at the Turtle pond area. We have also gotten sandwiches there. Okw does not have QS food courts like the moderates or values. We like that we have a kitchenette when staying in a studio or full kitchen when staying in a 1/2 bdrm. We ship down dry goods, and have brakfast in our room. We also bring coffee with us and make it with the coffee pot in the room. The store there has a decent variety. Our kids are more than happy to have a frozen pizza or cheese and crackers, yogurt and some fruit for a break from park food. Tecsort may not be for everyone, but we love it. We bought into DVC after staying there twice. We gave our kids the pick of where to stay next March and they all voted OKW. We love the relaxing vibe after being in the parks.
Thanks - this gives me some good insight on location etc. I kept seeing posts about how spread out the resort is, but I'm ok with a short walk. I understand the resort is very lush and pretty.

I'm the same way and like to ship down items for my stay. What about the game room? I know my older son would want to check it out?
Coronado (Apr-2006)
Carribbean Beach (Aug-2007)
All-Star Movies (Nov-2008)
Pop Century (Aug-2009)
All-Star Music (Nov-2010)
All-Star Music-Family Suite (Aug-2011)
All-Star Music (Nov-2012)
Yacht Club (Aug-2014)

SCJCMCMCo
Jazzerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:46 PM   #6
LynnTH
DIS Veteran

We stayed there for the 1st time this past June. Me, DH, DS14 and DD12. Kids absolutely loved this place. In fact we spent less days at the parks because they loved the resort so much. We were in Bldg 12, which is a Preferred Bldg. It is in back of the Hospitality House. We just had to cross the back parking lot and were in the main area in a few minutes. We all had the mug refill and used that quite often. Kids loved the pool, arcade, basketball, fuseball, shuffleboard. They spend alot of time at the community hall also watching movies, playing video games or making crafts. It was a very relaxing and beautiful place and wouldn't hesitate to stay there again. Kids were also old enough that they could go the main area by themselves and do things or get a bit to eat.
LynnTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:50 PM   #7
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Bldg 11, 12, 13 and 14, plus Bldg 23, 24, 25 and 26 all are considered Hospitality House area (HHA) and are a booking category for points stays. If you pay cash directly to Disney, you probably won't get any of these buildings.

Goods to Go is a small counter service with limited offerings right next to the main pool. There are a few picnic tables on the adjacent boardwalk area to eat. Or you take it to the pool to eat. It is not a food court by any means. They have mug refills there.

There is also a seasonal even smaller counter service at the Turtle Pond pool. So it has limited hours and is closed some times of the year.

Golf carts are not permitted at OKW unless you are a CM getting from one building or another to perform some housekeeping or maintenance service. You can catch any bus and get off at the HHA. Then you can walk over to the Peninsular Road bus and take any bus back to your area.

Most buildings do not have elevators. So you might be climbing steps to get to your villa. There is a small game room near the Community Hall.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: