Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2013, 12:15 PM   #1
Babsy
DIS Veteran

Better TPV rooms - GF or CR?

OK, this is getting ridiculous! I am so confused and it is all my fault! I keep second guessing where to stay. To date we have been booked in the Poly (until we learned about construction), AKL, WL, GF LG, and presently CR tower TPV. Now I am wondering: should we really stay GF TPV? ArrrGH!!! Which has the better view of the MK? Which has the better pool? If there is construction noise at the Poly, will it be a problem at the GF?

I WISH that we could stay at the POLY. It is my first choice by leaps and bounds, but with small children and infants that need daytime naps and playtime the risk of staying there with potential noise issues is a deal breaker for us.

So that leaves me vacillating between resorts. There are only 2 other monorail resorts so the choice should be simple, right? But it isn't.

PLEASE HELP! Is there something that I am missing that should make the choice obvious?

The GF is incredibly beautiful and the CR is wonderfully energetic and walking distance to the MK. I love the boat to the GF, though. How to choose?
Babsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:04 PM   #2
gretchenohar@hotmail

DIS Veteran

Wish I could answer, but I can't. Hope you hear something soon.
gretchenohar@hotmail is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-18-2013, 09:19 PM   #3
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babsy View Post
OK, this is getting ridiculous! I am so confused and it is all my fault! I keep second guessing where to stay. To date we have been booked in the Poly (until we learned about construction), AKL, WL, GF LG, and presently CR tower TPV. Now I am wondering: should we really stay GF TPV? ArrrGH!!! Which has the better view of the MK? Which has the better pool? If there is construction noise at the Poly, will it be a problem at the GF?

I WISH that we could stay at the POLY. It is my first choice by leaps and bounds, but with small children and infants that need daytime naps and playtime the risk of staying there with potential noise issues is a deal breaker for us.

So that leaves me vacillating between resorts. There are only 2 other monorail resorts so the choice should be simple, right? But it isn't.

PLEASE HELP! Is there something that I am missing that should make the choice obvious?

The GF is incredibly beautiful and the CR is wonderfully energetic and walking distance to the MK. I love the boat to the GF, though. How to choose?
I can't comment on the CR as we've never stayed there (we are trying it in December), but the GF is a beautiful resort. If you are choosing strictly by theme/decor, my choice would be the GF. If you are choosing by the better TPV, I would go with the CR. We've never had a TPV at the GF, but my guess is the best view of MK is from the CR. Good luck.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:50 PM   #4
2012DisneyWorldBride
I was a Disney Bride on 12.8.12
I put ketchup on my ketchup

We stayed TPV GF for our Disney wedding/honeymoon last December. We booked it again for this December for our anniversary. Our TPV room was AMAZING!!! It was truly magical. Plus the grounds and main building at GF are gorgeous!

We have never stayed at CR. I think there TPV rooms are probably great too, but I'm not a fan of their room design.

Michelle & Jeff's 12/8/12 Disney Wishes Wedding WP/GF/DP Morocco - Planning Journal and Trip Report!!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2850449
Our Wedding / Honeymoon Trip - 8 Day Deluxe Dining Plan Review With Pictures!!! Didn't finish...
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3037533
Michelle - Jeff (DH) - Chanel (Maltese Puppy)
Disney Trips: AP - for as long as I can remember - AKL 8/2011, GF 12/2012 & AKL 12/2012, CBR 9/2013 & GF 12/2013, CBR 8/2014 & GF 12/2014
2012DisneyWorldBride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 10:49 PM   #5
Babsy
DIS Veteran

Thank you all!! It is odd that despite going to WDW as often as I have I still find it so hard to make resort decisions for some trips. Sometimes I just Know where I want to stay. Other times (when it REALLY matters) it is so hard! Just too many great choices, I guess.

Well, this time my son, DIL, and granddaughters are going with DH and me, so the decision has been finally made by them for me. Surprisingly to me, it is the CR!! I was leaning towards the GF at last count but DS says he wants to stay where he can walk to the MK with DGDs. The theming seems subtle, but I can definitely see Walt's tomorrowland futuristic feel to the CR...so now I am getting excited to be staying here! With a split stay in the CR and the YC we will be walking to 3 of the 4 theme parks. You gotta love that!!!

Guess it's time to dust off the elliptical machine and get in shape!! LOL

Thank you again for your insights - when you are torn by difficult choices it really does help to get input with different perspectives.
Mickeynut1, your comment about the great CR TPV was especially helpful. It makes me feel good about the CR choice.
2012DWBride, I know what you mean about the CR theme, but I am trying to look at it in a retro Walt's vision way. Looks like another time I will be staying in the beautiful GF.
gretchen...thanks for bumping my post and the good karma!
Old 09-18-2013, 10:57 PM   #6
rcraw45425
I'm a 43 year old mom with a scar on my navel!

CR is closer and will be a sort of sideways view whereas the GF will be more straight on.
these are from the tower TPV at CR, tower club (14th floor)

All were taken with a smartphone so apologies for the quality
offsite'71,'86,'95,'04,Swan'98,CR'98,GF'99,CR'01,C R'03,WL'04,Polynesian'04,YC'05,GF'05,POFQ'05,CR'05 ,YC'06,PBH'06,CR'07,AS Sports,YC CL1/08,GF11/08, HRH 07/09, WL CL 11/09, PBH 1/10, CR Tower Club 1 bedroom suite 5/10,Royal Pacific Resort Club 12/10, BWI,Disney Dream 4/11,CSR/Grand Floridian 12/11,CR tower 10/12, AKL 1/13, Polynesian 6/13,Polynesian 10/13, PBH CL 11/13, BC 3/14 (2 BR suite), Hard Rock Hotel for Diagon Alley Opening Day (7/14),Swan (11/14)

rcraw45425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 04:07 PM   #7
Babsy
DIS Veteran

THank you, Robin!! Looking at pics really helps get proper perspective!
Old 09-19-2013, 04:37 PM   #8
kirby428
Mousejunkie Wannabe

CR towers over the other views...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babsy View Post

Just came back from a CR room with TPV. Room 4345. Wasn't even the highest but we could see over the top of the entire MK enough to see Splash Mt. If you want view, nothing beats UP. Sat on balcony for WISHES and could still hear the music from the MK. Wouldn't stay here again just ahead of a music event like Night of Joy cuz they blasted loud music during overnight practices and made it hard to sleep even with a sound maker in the room to suppress outside sounds. Book wisely!

kirby428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:54 PM   #9
Babsy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirby428 View Post
Just came back from a CR room with TPV. Room 4345. Wasn't even the highest but we could see over the top of the entire MK enough to see Splash Mt. If you want view, nothing beats UP. Sat on balcony for WISHES and could still hear the music from the MK. Wouldn't stay here again just ahead of a music event like Night of Joy cuz they blasted loud music during overnight practices and made it hard to sleep even with a sound maker in the room to suppress outside sounds. Book wisely!
Good to know! I did ask for a high floor in my requests.
Old 09-19-2013, 11:43 PM   #10
AMB1
Mouseketeer

We have stayed at both. The view from GF is magical. I loved seeing the castle in the distance and watching the fireworks. The CR gives you a bigger view and shows you more than just the castle, but I didn't love seeing the backstage areas and the parking lots. If I was choosing for view alone, I would pick GF. For a split stay with Epcot though, I think you are making a great choice. A few days at CR and a few days at the YC is really the best of both worlds. Yes the GF has beautiful grounds, but you are going to get the beautiful grounds of the YC when you switch over. In the meantime, you'll walk into the MK and enjoy the very, very comfy beds at the CR!I'm starting to think we need a split stay!

2015 Disney Fantasy
2014 Disney Magic/POFQ
2013 Disney Wonder Alaska
2012 Beach Club
2010 Contemporary
2009 Grand Floridian
2005 Boardwalk Inn
AMB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:04 AM   #11
hgeisler
DIS Veteran

IMO the tpv room at the CR cannot be beat. It is amazing to wake up every morning with Cinderella's castle right outside your balcony.
hgeisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:41 AM   #12
kirby428
Mousejunkie Wannabe

More park than backstage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgeisler View Post
IMO the tpv room at the CR cannot be beat. It is amazing to wake up every morning with Cinderella's castle right outside your balcony.
The night view from the CR tower deserves special mention. Tom Morrow lights are glorious at night. We could see the photo strobe go off at Splash Mt. The lights on the lake twinkle and the Water Pagent reds and greens can be tracked as it slowly moves to the next show. During the day, there was enough trees to hide most backstage areas from 4345 level. Judge for yourself with a trip to the California Grille. That said it is important to remember there are no bad views anywhere on property if you are actually THERE. Find a favorite and then find 20 more so you can argue about it here and be absolutely right about your choice.

kirby428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 04:12 PM   #13
Babsy
DIS Veteran

Thank you! I wasn't even thinking of the night time view, but I would imagine it to be wonderful!!
Old 09-20-2013, 04:33 PM   #14
DisneyChristmas
Mouseketeer since '55

We have been lucky enough to experience CL TPV at both the GF and CR. (Those Disney Visa points really help!)

There is a better chance of getting a super TPV at the CR just because there are more rooms in this category.

Yes, the night views are wonderful! Yes, sit on your balcony for Wishes!

These photos were taken with a telephoto lens, sure - but you're this close to the park!

DisneyChristmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 05:20 PM   #15
Babsy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyChristmas View Post
We have been lucky enough to experience CL TPV at both the GF and CR. (Those Disney Visa points really help!)

There is a better chance of getting a super TPV at the CR just because there are more rooms in this category.

Yes, the night views are wonderful! Yes, sit on your balcony for Wishes!

These photos were taken with a telephoto lens, sure - but you're this close to the park!

Oh my!! Those pics are stunning!! Thank you for sharing!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: