Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2013, 04:45 PM   #31
chrisrunty
DIS Veteran

To clarify my experience from IAH to port in May: We used a private car service on the way down, and used Disney transportation on the way back. Disney picked us up at Hotel Galvez the morning of the cruise and put us on a bus for all of 2 miles to the port. When the cruise was over Disney bus transported us to the airport. (that was only returned transportation with Disney) We are going again in November but doing Disney transportation both ways. They do indeed if you book the hotel with them as a package deal pick you up at IAH day before, drive you to your hotel, pick you up the morning of the cruise and transport you to the port, and on the return back to the airport. I agree Galveston is a logistical pain compared to other ones. But for us Disney was at least simple.
chrisrunty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 05:38 PM   #32
KimDHR
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbuddy88 View Post
I think you may have done what I did. I think That price is not round trip. When you go all the way through the booking you get to the payment screen and the total will 2 times what they show you on that first screen with the car choices. I thought since they asked if it was one way or round trip the first number was a round trip quote but it wasn't.
I bet you're right. I didn't go all the way to the payment screen, but entered that it was round trip. That makes much more sense. Sigh. Doesn't help any of our pocket books! I am going to call the galveston cool tours and book transportation with them. I'm tired of looking and for the convenience, I think that will be the best option for my family.

good luck everyone!
KimDHR is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-20-2013, 07:42 PM   #33
Alexander
DIS Veteran

I loved our cruise out of Galveston, but the logistics of getting to and from the port have me reconsidering if I'd ever do it again! They need more rental car agencies on the island. They actually had them until Hurricane Ike hit in 2008. The island is still rebuilding and trying to recover.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:20 PM   #34
alaskanabbott
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander View Post
I loved our cruise out of Galveston, but the logistics of getting to and from the port have me reconsidering if I'd ever do it again! They need more rental car agencies on the island. They actually had them until Hurricane Ike hit in 2008. The island is still rebuilding and trying to recover.
This! We loved the actual cruise, but getting to and from airport to port was a nightmare. And we didn't care for Galveston. I would cruise from there again if the price was right, but I wouldn't book more than one night previous in town. DH however says no way, and he gets final say
TR-THE WEEK OF YES!http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2428215
GKTW-3/10 ASMO-2/11 Disney Wonder-2/12Disney Wonder-11/12Disney Magic-1/13
alaskanabbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 12:51 AM   #35
Carrie in AZ
DIS Veteran

I talked to Steve at Cool Tours and he was so nice, but they are booked for our dates Oct 4 and 12 so we can't use them. He seemed great! Good luck everyone!
June 2011 - CR/BCV
Thanksgiving 2010 - Disneyland
Nov 2009 - CR/Poly Oct 2009 - GCH Nov 2008 - BC
June 2008 - GCH Oct 2007 - DLH
Nov 2006 - POR June 2004 - DLH
Apr 2002 - POR Nov 1999 - Dixie Landings
Carrie in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 01:01 PM   #36
KimDHR
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrie in AZ View Post
I talked to Steve at Cool Tours and he was so nice, but they are booked for our dates Oct 4 and 12 so we can't use them. He seemed great! Good luck everyone!
Yes, he was very nice and easy to deal with. We are set for our cruise--it may have helped us with flexibility because we come in the day before and we don't need to be back to the airport until Saturday evening. Now I just need to sort out a hotel for the night and our plans will be set.
Old 09-21-2013, 03:31 PM   #37
lilbuddy88
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimDHR View Post
Yes, he was very nice and easy to deal with. We are set for our cruise--it may have helped us with flexibility because we come in the day before and we don't need to be back to the airport until Saturday evening. Now I just need to sort out a hotel for the night and our plans will be set.
He was very hospitable. I get the impression its a small business. I'm glad someone was able to use the info.. Let me know how it goes. We don't cruise until November 30.
lilbuddy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 06:11 PM   #38
KimDHR
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbuddy88 View Post
He was very hospitable. I get the impression its a small business. I'm glad someone was able to use the info.. Let me know how it goes. We don't cruise until November 30.
I will definitely come back and update our experience. We cruise Oct 12. As we have pretty much all day on Saturday after debarkation, cool tours is going to hold our luggage for us on the condition that we take their hop on hop off city tour. Which works since we'll have the day and no way to get around. We'll explore Galveston most of the day and head to the airport around 4pm.

Now I just need to find a hotel... hopefully that will be a trifle easier!
Old 09-22-2013, 01:03 AM   #39
hurleysweety
DISPrincess in Training
Makes a mean Monte Cristo

For anyone reading this thread and looking for options for getting to the port, don't rule out renting a car for the week. We are booked on the Oct 26th cruise and booked it back in June. At that time a rental for the 9 days we'd need it (coming in 2 days early) was almost $500.

By following and sharing updates with my fellow cruisers, I was able to use a USAA discount to get it down to $279. And due to following the rates, mostly in late August, I now have a rate down to $155 for a standard size car (through Alamo)! We were quoted by multiple agencies (cabs, limos, shuttles) anywhere between $100-$120 for the 2 of us for a one-way transfer (plus tip, of course).

In addition, we found a great rate for parking and a very reputable place too (could park at our hotel for free, but wanted the convenient option for disembarking). Bonus for the trip that we'll have a car which we enjoy (grab last minute items at the store, drive around a new area, restaurant options outside of walking distance, see the sites, etc).

So just keep checking! If you're anything like us, you like knowing that if you want to go somewhere, or see something, or just simply forgot something, you have a car to get there.
Past Trips: WDW: Feb 1997 BWI, June 2008 *Honeymoon!*, May 2010 OKW & POR *2-year anniversary*, May 2011 OKW/BWV *3-year anniversary*, October 2011 VWL & POP DLR: 1994, Thanksgiving 2003 Portofino Suites, Oct. 2004, Oct. 2005, Nov. 2006 Carousel Inn, May 2007 Fairfield Inn, May 2009 DH Bday Trip Marriott Suites Anaheim, May 2009 *1-year anniversary*, GCH Suite, June 2009 Worldmark, Sept 2009 PPH, December 2009 Holiday Inn Anaheim Resort, April 2010 Holiday Inn Anaheim Resort, January 2011 Staybridge, September 2011 Red Lion, June 2012 Hilton Anaheim *4-year anniversary (celebrated late), Oct 2012 Ayres Anaheim, May 2013 GCH *5-year anniversary*, Sept 2013 Red Lion, Nov 2013 (1 Day Trip) Red Lion, Dec 2013 *Club 33* Castle Inn
DCL:October 2013 - HalloWonder (Halloween) Cruise - Wonder 7 Night Bahamas from Galveston
hurleysweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 05:42 PM   #40
KatMeows
Earning My Ears

Some one found this great deal for Hobby .... http://www.lq.com/lq/coolsavings/pac...20110110014546

could be HUGE savings for some!
KatMeows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:29 PM   #41
MommyTo5
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMeows View Post
Some one found this great deal for Hobby .... http://www.lq.com/lq/coolsavings/pac...20110110014546

could be HUGE savings for some!
We were considering this, but the Trip Advisor reviews are pretty bad...

WDW 3/1978, 3/1984, 1/2001, 2/2002, 9/2002, 1/2003, 2/2004, 2/2006, 2/2007, 1/2008, 10/2009 DLR 6/2010
DCL {MAGIC} Western Caribbean 1/2005, 11/2008, 10/2009 Eastern Caribbean 10/2010
DCL {WONDER} Hawaii 10/2012 Western Caribbean 11/2013 NEXT UP: Westbound Panama Canal 5/2014
MommyTo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:10 PM   #42
sullins5
alias the 'disneychick'

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyTo5 View Post
We were considering this, but the Trip Advisor reviews are pretty bad...
I checked into it too, thinking we might save the $200. car rental and the price of the hotel. But ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww..the ratings were atrocious on Tripadvisor.com. Really bad. Think we'll keep what we have, and be safe rather than sorry.
[/COLOR="Blue"]'93 off-site WDW, '94 CBR May & Oct., '98 CBR, '01 CBR, '04 CBR, '05 Peabody, '06 Pop, '06 Embassy Suites, '08 CBR, '09 CBR, '10 CBR, '11 Oct Disney Magic, '12 May CBR, '13 Sept Disney Wonder, Planning for 2015 EBTA![/COLOR]
sullins5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:30 PM   #43
TBMommy
Earning My Ears

We are also trying to figure out transportation to Galveston from Hobby. It is the only reason I haven't booked this cruise yet.

We are a family of 5 and need 2 car seats. A rental wont work because we need a minivan or larger but I can't find anything out of Hobby for under $850. Disney doesn't offer transportation from Hobby, and flying from where we are, there are no flights that arrive or depart in a time frame that would allow us to use it anyway from either airport. Which leaves us with shuttles, but I really don't want to lug around two car seats all the way there, on the ship and home again.

Galveston =
TBMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:59 PM   #44
sullins5
alias the 'disneychick'

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBMommy View Post
We are also trying to figure out transportation to Galveston from Hobby. It is the only reason I haven't booked this cruise yet.

We are a family of 5 and need 2 car seats. A rental wont work because we need a minivan or larger but I can't find anything out of Hobby for under $850. Disney doesn't offer transportation from Hobby, and flying from where we are, there are no flights that arrive or depart in a time frame that would allow us to use it anyway from either airport. Which leaves us with shuttles, but I really don't want to lug around two car seats all the way there, on the ship and home again.

Galveston =
You might call ahead and check Cool Tours prices in Galveston! I called after seeing his recommendation on here, and unfortunately he was booked for our upcoming cruise. But I was VERY impressed with his kindness and customer service. He even apologized he was booked! And keep checking the transportation board in the planning section. That's how I found my car rental, in the Sept Car Rental thread. Who knows? You might find a great code for a rental!
[/COLOR="Blue"]'93 off-site WDW, '94 CBR May & Oct., '98 CBR, '01 CBR, '04 CBR, '05 Peabody, '06 Pop, '06 Embassy Suites, '08 CBR, '09 CBR, '10 CBR, '11 Oct Disney Magic, '12 May CBR, '13 Sept Disney Wonder, Planning for 2015 EBTA![/COLOR]
sullins5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:14 PM   #45
KatMeows
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBMommy View Post

Galveston =
I'm seeing full-size cars for about $225 and SUVs for $450 for a week....
KatMeows is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
galveston, rental, shuttle, transportation

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: