Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2013, 11:02 PM   #1
KimDHR
Earning My Ears

Houston Airport to Galveston transportation?

Hello! I apologize in advance if this has already been asked--we are a little time strapped so I can't read through everything on the forums. We just booked a Disney Wonder cruise out of Galveston in October, on fairly short notice, but at a great rate, and we're super excited. The one piece I don't have lined up yet is how to get from Houston International Airport to the pier. We are coming in the day before the cruise so we don't have to worry as much about airline delays. There are 5 of us, so taking any kind of shuttle is cost prohibitive. Does anyone have the scoop on the best way to do rental cars, or some other option? I am wondering if it is cheaper to do one way rentals in both directions, or to rent for a week and leave the rental at the hotel (several hotels offer free cruise parking with an overnight stay). I am having trouble with the rental car websites and finding the Galveston port as a "location." Would love to hear any suggestions or best/most economical way to get to the port. Thanks in advance!
KimDHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:37 PM   #2
Emichan21
Earning My Ears

The problem is that there aren't any car rental locations on the island. You would have to drive back to the mainland and drop off the car. Probably in Texas City. Your best bet is to rent a limo/car service.
Emichan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-18-2013, 11:39 PM   #3
Carrie in AZ
DIS Veteran

Well, we are sailing on October 5th out of Galveston on the Wonder, and I have spent the last week doing a ton of research and slicing and dicing the costs. It appears cabs are about $95 each way, town cars like Execucar are about $130/140 each way. I haven't found a good option for one way rentals as the rep at Enterprise quoted me a $100 drop off fee for doing a one-way plus the cost of the rental which would come out to about $150 each way. It may cost the same to rent the car for the entire week and just park it. Totally ridiculous for about two hours driving time (approx. one hour each way, probably less).

Since we are trying to do this cruise as economically as possible, we have decided to rent the car for the week using our miles and points since we have quite a few. I know using them for the rental car isn't getting the most value out of them, but it will be no out of pocket cost to us and that is appealing for this trip.

We are not thrilled with the transportation options quite frankly. The whole thing seems ridiculous or ridiculously expensive! And, we don't have a high tolerance for "funky", so I don't have a large comfort level with some of the transportation companies with which I've spoken.

Good luck and have a great cruise!
July 2013 Aulani
June 2012 - GCH July 2012 - Aulani
June 2011 - CR/BCV
Thanksgiving 2010 - Disneyland
Nov 2009 - CR/Poly Oct 2009 - GCH Nov 2008 - BC
June 2008 - GCH Oct 2007 - DLH
Nov 2006 - POR June 2004 - DLH
Apr 2002 - POR Nov 1999 - Dixie Landings
Carrie in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:30 AM   #4
sullins5
alias the 'disneychick'

Hi! We sail in 9 Days! And yep, went through all the searching, asking on the forum, and inquiring all I could. We chose to rent a car, and park it free for the week. Did find a great rate a few weeks back, but that does require digging for codes. Prices did wind up coming out to about $100 each way. So, you can rent a taxi (and then won't have to worry about parking your car) for that price, or use a car service and pay tips (also on a taxi), or try Supershuttle (believe they have a van you can use if you get multiple people). Wish I could be more precise, but there really is no cheap option for getting from HOU to Galveston. Pm me if I can help you more.
Old 09-19-2013, 11:09 AM   #5
lilbuddy88
Mouseketeer

Welcome to the "Galveston Transportation Headache" Club

Anyway we leave at the end of November and found Cool Tours Galveston.

They are picking us up from HOU the day before and dropping us at our Galveston Hotel and then picking us up from the terminal and dropping us (2 adults 2 Children) at the Airport for $140 round trip. They have great reviews on TripAdvisor.
lilbuddy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:30 AM   #6
ukintheus
DIS Veteran

I'm sure that you have already looked into this, but if you are flying into IAH (Intercontinental) (not HOU which is Hobby), then DCL do offer shuttles to and from the cruise terminal. I'm sure you've already looked into those, and for 5 people they are pricey, but given all the issues with transportation and the costs, they may not be a bad alternative to the stress and headache of trying to figure out another option.

Good luck. As others have posted, the great rate out of Galveston is wonderful , the transportation issues make it a bit of a logistical nightmare.

Jenny & Scott
2000-POFQ, 2005-FW, 2006-FW, 2008-FW, Feb 2009-CBR/POFQ, Sept 2009-ASM,2010 BWI/WL/AKL/DCL Magic Western, July 2011 BWI/DCL Dream, Nov 2011 FW/AKL, May 2012 GF/DCL Fantasy-Eastern/BWI, Oct 2012 DCL Magic-Western, Feb 2013 DCL Magic-Cozumel, Apr 2013 DCL Magic-CC/WDW/KW, Sept 2013 - DCL Wonder-Bahamas, Dec 2013 - DCL Wonder-NYE-Cozumel, March 2014 - DCL Magic-4 night, Patiently waiting for: Nov 2014-Dream, Nov 2015- DCL Wonder B2B-Western & Bahamas-Galveston, DCL Wonder 2015 NYE Cruise-Bahamas-Galveston
ukintheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:53 AM   #7
jjje
One time I saw a guy wear cut-off jean shorts to dinner.

There's no good option, there's only a less bad option. I did a ton of research and worked out all the costs of all the possibilities and in the end (for our last cruise and for our upcoming one) to use the Disney transfers. It ends up being a bit more expensive than some other choices (although not much) but it's pretty no-hassle and guaranteed to get you to the ship on time.

Mom Dad and two perfectly imperfect kids Son (13) and Daughter (8)

1982-89 too many trips to Disneyland to count, 1991 Disneyland Paris, 1994 Disney World @ Beach Club, 1999 Honeymoon in Disney World @ Caribbean Beach Resort, 2001 Disney World @ All Star Music, 2004 Disney World during Hurricane Jeanne @ All Star Sports, 2005 Disney World off property, 2006 Disney World with a newborn @ All Star Movies, 2008 Disney World to celebrate surrogacy #1 @ Port Orleans French Quarter, 2010 Disneyland to celebrate surrogacy #2, 2012 Disney World @ Port Orleans Riverside to celebrate surrogacy #3, 2013 Bahamas on the Magic, 2013 Caribbean on the Wonder, 2014 Panama Canal on the Wonder
jjje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 03:12 PM   #8
KimDHR
Earning My Ears

Thank you for all the responses! I will look into some of those options. Yes, for 5 of us at $90 a pop, I know we can do better than the disney transport. I think a rental for the week or the "cool" option above may be our best bet. have fun everyone! It may be a pain to get to the ship but then it should be worry free for a week!
Old 09-19-2013, 06:49 PM   #9
sullins5
alias the 'disneychick'

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbuddy88 View Post
Welcome to the "Galveston Transportation Headache" Club

Anyway we leave at the end of November and found Cool Tours Galveston.

They are picking us up from HOU the day before and dropping us at our Galveston Hotel and then picking us up from the terminal and dropping us (2 adults 2 Children) at the Airport for $140 round trip. They have great reviews on TripAdvisor.
Thanks for the heads up on this! I did call today, but for our family of 4, they had transportation on the 27th of Sept., but totally sold out the 5th of October. His words "Wow, sorry, but we have NO availability for the 5th! I wonder what's going on?" I told him, "More cruises?"
Anyway, didn't help us, but might help some!!
Old 09-19-2013, 08:33 PM   #10
Alexander
DIS Veteran

Whatever you do, DO NOT USE SUPER SHUTTLE! I won't go into details, but at least 60 people were left stranded at the port on disembarkation day for over 2 hours.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:45 PM   #11
KimDHR
Earning My Ears

Shoot, I was just coming over here to say I found a good rate with super shuttle. Our flight out of TX is not until 8pm, so we would probably stay in Galveston for the afternoon and just be beach bums, with a 4pm pick up time from a hotel near the pier, so maybe there wouldn't be such a crowd? I've had good experiences with Super Shuttle in the past (in different locations, never been to Galveston). I looked up rental cars and for the entire week they are kind of more than I want to spend. sigh.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:48 PM   #12
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimDHR View Post
Shoot, I was just coming over here to say I found a good rate with super shuttle. Our flight out of TX is not until 8pm, so we would probably stay in Galveston for the afternoon and just be beach bums, with a 4pm pick up time from a hotel near the pier, so maybe there wouldn't be such a crowd? I've had good experiences with Super Shuttle in the past (in different locations, never been to Galveston). I looked up rental cars and for the entire week they are kind of more than I want to spend. sigh.
We've used Super Shuttle in the LA area several times with no problems. Maybe it was a one time problem? Or maybe the Galveston area Super Shuttle has a problem? Have there been any other complaints against them?

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:55 PM   #13
KimDHR
Earning My Ears

I called a couple of other options that were recommended elsewhere--but with a car company and 5 people they were telling me it would be a stretch limo for 199 each way, and yellow cab is 180 each way. I left a message for the cool tours place and will cross my fingers. Otherwise we may need to take our chances on super shuttle, which looks like it would be 155 roundtrip for an SUV that fits 5 passengers. Clearly the cheapest option I've found so far.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:57 PM   #14
Alexander
DIS Veteran

It is a Galveston problem. They won't come to the pier until they have a full van coming in from the airport. You call them when you are ready to disembark and they give you a pick up time. When said pick up time comes and goes, you call again to be told it will be at least 90 minutes more. There were desperate people grabbing cabs and trying to get on cruiseline shuttles at the last minute because they were going to miss flights. Definitely not an isolated event in Galveston, many people have reported major problems.

Now getting to the port was great, it was a fiasco trying to get back.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:27 PM   #15
BAIC03
Earning My Ears

Why does no one seem to use the DCL transfers?

BAIC03 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
galveston, rental, shuttle, transportation

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: