Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2013, 06:56 AM   #16
MistressGracey
Earning My Ears

We were booked at the Poly for the Princess Half Marathon weekend but as of last week we made the switch to Wilderness Lodge. Its my best friend's first Disney trip (were staying the week after the race) and I didnt want her first resort to be full of construction/noise/not be able to use all the amenities... FWIW Boardwalk was my second pick but again she's the newbie and she loves the look of WL so WL it is!
Ft Wilderness Campground June 1992, Comfort Inn LBV August 1993, Howard Johnson DTD July 1994, Comfort Inn LBV June 1995, Caribe Royal LBV April 1996, Holiday Inn LBV April 1997, Holiday Inn LBV April 1998, Holiday Inn LBV March 1999, Hilton DTD March 2001, Orlando Vista LBV April 2008, Best Western DTD April 2009, Wilderness Lodge January 2010, AKL/Polynesian CL September 2010, Best Western DTD February 2011, POP/POFQ August 2011, Coronado Springs April 2012, Yacht Club/AOA September 2012, ASMu December 2012, ASMo/CBR May 2013, ASSp/PORiverside September 2013, Holiday Inn Universal December 2013, ASSp February 2014
Coming Soon: 1st Trip to Disneyland June 2014
MistressGracey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:04 AM   #17
Nancyg56
DIS Veteran

If I was not staying at teh Poly, I would choose AKL. It is a gorgeous resort!
Register to remove

Old 09-19-2013, 07:08 AM   #18
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistressGracey View Post
We were booked at the Poly for the Princess Half Marathon weekend but as of last week we made the switch to Wilderness Lodge. Its my best friend's first Disney trip (were staying the week after the race) and I didnt want her first resort to be full of construction/noise/not be able to use all the amenities... FWIW Boardwalk was my second pick but again she's the newbie and she loves the look of WL so WL it is!
WL is my absolute fave!

I love your screen name by the way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancyg56 View Post
If I was not staying at teh Poly, I would choose AKL. It is a gorgeous resort!
AKL is on our short list as well. Because we are not booking Poly, I have been booked at CR Garden Wing, GF Sugarloaf, AKL CL, and most recently BWI CL....Eventually, my trip will be here and I will end up at the trip I'm at for that moment. It's like resort roulette!

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ
Mousemommy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:15 PM   #19
Dizneefamily+4
Wish I could live in Cinderella's Castle!

After 6 trips in the last 9 years - with the last 3 years being annual trips, we've decided to take a year off after this last Poly stay we took in August. We're actually going to wait and see how this whole fp+ () thing rolls out and since we knew we wouldn't be booking Poly during construction, we just decided to take a year off.

We know we'll be back in Aug. 2015. If Poly is still undergoing construction, we won't book it. I would love to try CR. Hate the theme (or lackthereof,) but LOVE the walkability to MK. Our fave mod is POFQ, so may stay there again - we like it's small size and boat access to DTD. However, I'm really intrigued by staying in the Epcot area and trying out the BC. I really haven't looked into BWI, but I may! We do really like Deluxe and by taking a year off, that leaves even more time to save more money, so I'm leaning towards those Epcot area deluxes! Time will tell I guess!
'10 - POR/WL
Aug. '11 - POLY
Aug. '12 - POFQ
Aug. '13 - POLY
Dizneefamily+4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 04:59 PM   #20
Grace&Carolinesmom
DIS Veteran

Well, given the upcoming construction/destruction of the Poly, we have decided to stay at GF in July 2014. I haven't pulled the trigger yet on a ressie as we are trying to narrow down the exact dates. It will be after July 14 and ending before the second week of August.

I am hoping for a refurb at GF before our stay as the bedspreads are quite grandma like circa 1980s. I wish they were more like my grandma's bedspreads circa 1960s/1970s with the chenille look as that at least looks homey and not so polyester scratchy

Anyhoo.... I am excited about GF as we have always loved their food offerings and the pools look even nicer since the courtyard pool went zero entry with the popjets and we prefer the open slide design at the beach pool as well. I like that the room design includes several seating options that are NOT the bed

I am keeping an eye on CR BLV just in case we need a second choice when/if discounts come out next spring??

CR--May 2006 Poly--April 2007 Poly--April 2009
YC-- April 2010 CSR--Oct 2011 GF--July 2014

Grace&Carolinesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:30 PM   #21
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizneefamily+4 View Post
After 6 trips in the last 9 years - with the last 3 years being annual trips, we've decided to take a year off after this last Poly stay we took in August. We're actually going to wait and see how this whole fp+ () thing rolls out and since we knew we wouldn't be booking Poly during construction, we just decided to take a year off.

We know we'll be back in Aug. 2015. If Poly is still undergoing construction, we won't book it. I would love to try CR. Hate the theme (or lackthereof,) but LOVE the walkability to MK. Our fave mod is POFQ, so may stay there again - we like it's small size and boat access to DTD. However, I'm really intrigued by staying in the Epcot area and trying out the BC. I really haven't looked into BWI, but I may! We do really like Deluxe and by taking a year off, that leaves even more time to save more money, so I'm leaning towards those Epcot area deluxes! Time will tell I guess!
I think I recall that "taking a break" story from you guys before....

I suspect a POFQ next August for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace&Carolinesmom View Post
Well, given the upcoming construction/destruction of the Poly, we have decided to stay at GF in July 2014. I haven't pulled the trigger yet on a ressie as we are trying to narrow down the exact dates. It will be after July 14 and ending before the second week of August.

I am hoping for a refurb at GF before our stay as the bedspreads are quite grandma like circa 1980s. I wish they were more like my grandma's bedspreads circa 1960s/1970s with the chenille look as that at least looks homey and not so polyester scratchy

Anyhoo.... I am excited about GF as we have always loved their food offerings and the pools look even nicer since the courtyard pool went zero entry with the popjets and we prefer the open slide design at the beach pool as well. I like that the room design includes several seating options that are NOT the bed

I am keeping an eye on CR BLV just in case we need a second choice when/if discounts come out next spring??
If there is a room refurb at GF, it could end up back on the short list, but DH really has his heart set on BWI.

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ
Mousemommy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:49 PM   #22
Babsy
DIS Veteran

Lots of BWI fans!!

We have moved to the CR for Nov, but it was a difficult choice. We are splitting the stay with the YC in Epcot area. In Jan we are doing the CR, cruise and finishing up with AKL. Now, I'm starting to think of March with a GF/BWI split stay. You guys have me thinking it's time to check it out again. Looks like we'll be able to make do until the Poly gets all spruced up again!

Missing the Poly big time this Nov though..
Babsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:03 AM   #23
fla4fun
DIS Veteran

Well, I had the Poly booked for my early December trip, but it was my second choice (technically, 6th choice, as I had tried to get anything at an Epcot resort first) and I chose it as much for the walking ability to TTC as anything else. I hadn't planned on changing resorts due to construction, but I did change to BC when something came available there, because the Epcot resorts area was my first choice for that trip (I spend a lot of time at Epcot and the Studios during the Christmas season). My personal backup choice in the MK area would be either CR or WL because GF doesn't interest me. But every resort has it's pros and cons.

I stayed in the Contemporary back in early 1991 when they were doing a massive renovation on the resort. You came down the escalators from the 4th floor in plywood tunnels that funneled you into the big room where the arcade had been - which they took out and put in a temporary check in desk. The lobby was a mess - but to be honest, we didn't notice it after we checked in. Yes, there were a lot of closures around the resort to be sure, but the only time you saw construction was on your way from the transportation to your room. We also stayed there when they took out the original pool and put in the one that exists now. I've been at YC/BC and BWI/BWV when their pools were out of commission and they made it as easy as they could to access another feature pool. We didn't know about most of this construction in advance because there wasn't anything on the Internet and we didn't get any letters from Disney. Even the most recent pool closure I've had to deal with, I didn't get a letter from Disney until AFTER I returned from the trip.

I guess my point is that you have to be prepared for disruptions at ANY resort. I am sure they will do the best they can to minimize issues at Poly like they did at GF and CR when their DVC were built. It's possible you could end up with some sort of construction at your second choice of resort as well.
fla4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:35 AM   #24
TandLMommy28
DIS Veteran

We were thinking about Poly but I'm not paying all that money to deal with construction. So we are doing WL. I really wanted to be on the monorail but I am not a fan of GF or Contemporary. I'm pretty excited about WL though. We will be taking our new baby, who will be 15 months old on the trip. We plan to spend most of our time at MK so having the boats will be nice.

TandLMommy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:01 AM   #25
kirby428
Mousejunkie Wannabe

Tower MK view rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pens4821 View Post
Was going to do a split stay Poly in January, but not sure if Wishes from the beach will be impacted. We're most likely going to do CR TPV. For sure we're going to do CR for the second part of the trip, just not sure which view or wing.

I know many don't like the theming of the CR, but I like the contemporary style. Doesn't seem real Disney oriented, but I still love CR. Never stayed in the Tower before, and think that'll just add to it.
...when it comes to WISHES. It is close enough to HEAR the music from the MK speakers too. Nothing beats being at eyeball level with the lights in the sky and for me, I gotta be close enough to hear the BOOMS without even a split second time delay. Oh and my balcony beat a public beach for private options. That said, I still love the Polynesian best. If you can not tear yourself away from TONGA TOAST then ask for a room in AOTEAROA which would be well away from any construction nasty. We had to endure those obnoxious beeps from machines in reverse gear from the new bus depot work on the TPV in the CR tower. Sure it was faint, but still noticed when the sliding glass door was open and most unwelcome. Can blame anyone for not wanting that urban noise pollution on vacation but the Disney bus stops are by far the WORST when they lower and raise the bus to engage the wheelly ramp. Take ear plugs.

kirby428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 02:49 PM   #26
MIKEYD820
Earning My Ears

No Poly - No problem

We were booked at the Poly for our September 2014 trip, but changed over to BC when they announced the construction info.
Now my boys 15 & 9 and their friend are super excited about the BC pool.
We will give Poly anouther try sometime in the future.
As my wife said, who cares we are still going to Disney!!
Hoping I did not make a mistake since we have never stayed at BC before.
MIKEYD820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 03:00 PM   #27
FungLu
Earning My Ears

Booked Poly 2 months ago for June 2014, and will only change resorts if pool and/or GCH are in refurb. How late is too late to book TPV at CR?
FungLu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 03:21 PM   #28
DisneyChristmas
Mouseketeer since '55

We were booked for the Poly in December 2013 in Hawaii CL with TPV. This trip was delayed a year as I was doing chemo in 2012. I'm healthy now and was so looking forward to the serene Poly.

But we got our letter a few days ago. I don't want to pay top dollar to watch the lagoon under construction.

That same night we called and swicthed to CL TPV at the CR. We've done that before. The view is excellent. The noise from busses is a bit much...but again the view is excellent. I'll miss the quiet water gazing in the mornings and late evenings. DH will miss traveling by small boat to the MK. We'll both miss the quiet pool in the afternoons.

I hope that we didn't decide too quickly. But we were scared off by the construction predictions. Unfortunately in 2014 the construction will be even more widespread at the Poly.
DisneyChristmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 03:32 PM   #29
princessap
DIS Veteran

We switched our fall 2014 trip because of construction issues...only problem now is I cannot decide where to switch it to! LOL.

But once the poly is done construction I will plan a trip just to stay there again!
princessap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 04:29 PM   #30
kmb584
DIS Veteran

We'd be switching to either BLT, CR Tower, or GF RPC! I love WL so I'd have to consider that one too!

Me (30) DD (5)
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney
kmb584 is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: