Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2013, 01:18 PM   #1
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Smile You've decided not to book the Poly, so what's your back up?

Well, now that we have the official announcement of the Poly DVC, and it appears that construction through 2015 is imminent...I would imagine that some people will put a Poly stay on hold for now.

I know that it was our 1st choice for our 2014 trip, however, we don't want to risk the disturbance of construction and/or having amenities out of service, so we are currently booked at BWI CL. (I say currently because I am a known resort changer, and my resort is ALWAYS subject to change)

So, my initial thought was to chose another monorail resort, either CR or GF, but I'm not excited about the theme at either, and then there is also the concern that the monorail being down may be an issue, like it was when the GF DVC was being built and the service was drastically cut down.

So, for now BWI seems like a great choice...what about you? What's your back up plan??

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 01:34 PM   #2
pixarmom
DIS Veteran

Hi Mousemommy!

We initially booked Poly for 2014 - Princess Half Marathon weekend. And our backup is . . . BWI CL! We switched our reservation to BWI CL last month for all the reasons you mentioned. Just too much uncertainty with the construction/pool/GCH, and we'll be back to enjoy the renovated Poly in 2015 or 2016. We do like CR CL, but I'm not a fan of the transportation to Epcot from CR, and we spend a lot of time at Epcot. CR is perfect for a night or two when we're spending lots of time at MK (MNSSHP, for example!) and our boys love it, but it's hard to give up the great theming and atmosphere at Poly, BWI or BC/YC. Poly is such a perfect monorail resort because it has everything - easy access to Epcot from TTC, easy access to MK, great theming, fun pool, nice views, tranquil music, yummy dining options, etc. But BWI has so many advantages too - easy access to Epcot and DHS without relying on bus or monorail, fun pool, really wonderful views, relaxing boardwalk music, and a zillion great dining options SO close by around the Epcot resort area and in World Showcase. And of course, we really love CL at BWI - so comfortable and welcoming.

So BWI CL is an ideal back-up plan for us. In fact, when we return to Poly in future years, we'll probably do another split stay between Poly and BWI (or maybe BC after they renovate CL there.)
Disneyland (x many), Polynesisan (x many), Beach Club (x many), Boardwalk (x3), Yacht Club, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge (x2), Animal Kingdom Lodge, Port Orleans French Quarter, Dolphin, Coronado Springs (x3), Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans-Riverside, All Star Sports, All Star Music, 2011 Disney Dream, 2012 Disney Wonder to Alaska, 2012 MNSSHP, 2013 Disneyland 10K, 2014 Princess Half Marathon and 5K

January 2015: WDW Marathon and 5K (AOA/AKL/GF/Poly)
March/April 2015: WL/CR
pixarmom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-18-2013, 01:42 PM   #3
pigletto
DIS Veteran

Boardwalk Inn would be my backup. In fact, I far prefer that location as we can walk to two parks and Epcot is our favorite park.
Old 09-18-2013, 01:59 PM   #4
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixarmom View Post
Hi Mousemommy!

We initially booked Poly for 2014 - Princess Half Marathon weekend. And our backup is . . . BWI CL! We switched our reservation to BWI CL last month for all the reasons you mentioned. Just too much uncertainty with the construction/pool/GCH, and we'll be back to enjoy the renovated Poly in 2015 or 2016. We do like CR CL, but I'm not a fan of the transportation to Epcot from CR, and we spend a lot of time at Epcot. CR is perfect for a night or two when we're spending lots of time at MK (MNSSHP, for example!) and our boys love it, but it's hard to give up the great theming and atmosphere at Poly, BWI or BC/YC. Poly is such a perfect monorail resort because it has everything - easy access to Epcot from TTC, easy access to MK, great theming, fun pool, nice views, tranquil music, yummy dining options, etc. But BWI has so many advantages too - easy access to Epcot and DHS without relying on bus or monorail, fun pool, really wonderful views, relaxing boardwalk music, and a zillion great dining options SO close by around the Epcot resort area and in World Showcase. And of course, we really love CL at BWI - so comfortable and welcoming.

So BWI CL is an ideal back-up plan for us. In fact, when we return to Poly in future years, we'll probably do another split stay between Poly and BWI (or maybe BC after they renovate CL there.)
Hello!

BWI is actually DH's 1st choice if I'm being honest, so now seemed like a great time to try it.

As you might recall, we stayed at YC in April and absolutely LOVED being in the Epcot area, so in that respect I am very excited to get back there.

I do have some issues with the pool. Yes, I am one of those people, but aside from good old Pennywise, the BWI pool reminds me alot of the WL pool, which my kids loved!

BWI looks absolutely lovely though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigletto View Post
Boardwalk Inn would be my backup. In fact, I far prefer that location as we can walk to two parks and Epcot is our favorite park.
I agree with that! I honestly don't think you can beat the location of the Epcot resorts. Even the monorail doesn't trump my own two feet for convenience!

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Old 09-18-2013, 02:02 PM   #5
pens4821
Mouseketeer

Was going to do a split stay Poly in January, but not sure if Wishes from the beach will be impacted. We're most likely going to do CR TPV. For sure we're going to do CR for the second part of the trip, just not sure which view or wing.

I know many don't like the theming of the CR, but I like the contemporary style. Doesn't seem real Disney oriented, but I still love CR. Never stayed in the Tower before, and think that'll just add to it.
pens4821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 02:12 PM   #6
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pens4821 View Post
Was going to do a split stay Poly in January, but not sure if Wishes from the beach will be impacted. We're most likely going to do CR TPV. For sure we're going to do CR for the second part of the trip, just not sure which view or wing.

I know many don't like the theming of the CR, but I like the contemporary style. Doesn't seem real Disney oriented, but I still love CR. Never stayed in the Tower before, and think that'll just add to it.
If we stayed at CR, it would definitely be with a TPV.

I honestly think that the view to the park is as Disney as it gets.

PAST TRIPS:
Old 09-18-2013, 02:50 PM   #7
Masonmj84
DIS Veteran

Was going to do a split involving the Poly (we like doing MK resort/EP resort splits) and, yesterday, changed the MK leg from Poly to CR (garden wing garden view - was tempted to book the tower but just couldn't justify the price difference given the room interiors are basically the same).

EP resort leg will be BWI (have never stayed here before - clown pool always seemed a bit). But I'm thinking it will be a nice change from the usually chaotic nature of BC, plus its location is a bit better (closer to HS while not being all that much farther from EP).

We will miss the ambiance of the Poly (am still planning ADRs for 'Ohana and Kona) but I'm slowly warming up to the idea of CR.

Even though the theming of CR seems a bit underwhelming (especially compared to Poly), it does have some practical advantages for us:

1. We can walk to/from MK instead of having to rely on the Monorail (or boats). This will be particularly nice after Wishes. It will also be nice to not have to worry about the Monorail potentially being down for our pre-park opening breakfasts at CRT, Chef Mickey's, and Crystal Palace.

2. We're planning meals at both HDDR and Artist Point. From CR, we can get to these using just one form of Disney transportation (blue launch boat), whereas coming from Poly requires using two forms of transportation.

3. Garden wing rooms are cheaper than any rooms at the Poly.
Old 09-18-2013, 02:51 PM   #8
pixarmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemommy1 View Post
Hello!

I do have some issues with the pool. Yes, I am one of those people, but aside from good old Pennywise, the BWI pool reminds me alot of the WL pool, which my kids loved!

BWI looks absolutely lovely though!

I agree with that! I honestly don't think you can beat the location of the Epcot resorts. Even the monorail doesn't trump my own two feet for convenience!
As much as our boys love the monorail (and I do too!) my feet have been far more reliable than the monorail in recent years!

And absolutely no judgment from me on the clown pool issues! I was definitely in that camp before our first BWI stay. We walked around the BWI pool area once while staying at BC just to see if I could adjust to that clown. It looked as awful as it did in the photos! Fast forward to our BWI stay when we were actually swimming in the pool - I forgot about the clown and think the BWI slide is the best at Disney. (Our boys prefer the SAB slide, but I like the BWI slide because it's not enclosed - open all the way down.) The Luna Park pool area, however, is still relatively tiny and initially, I missed SAB. But then we found the BWI quiet pool. Yay, but shhhh . . . it's uncrowded, surrounded by gardens and so relaxing. My favorite quiet pool on property!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemommy1 View Post
If we stayed at CR, it would definitely be with a TPV.

I honestly think that the view to the park is as Disney as it gets.
Just a quick thought regarding CR, if you decide to go in that direction at some point. Last year, we booked CR CL with a Bay Lake View. Not all that much more expensive than the non-CL TPV and I thought it was the best of all worlds - peaceful bay view from the room, amazing theme park view from the lounge, and all the benefits of CL. We really loved CL there - the CMs were outstanding, it gave CR a much more welcoming feel and it was so convenient having breakfast, snacks, etc. right there down the hall.
Disneyland (x many), Polynesisan (x many), Beach Club (x many), Boardwalk (x3), Yacht Club, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge (x2), Animal Kingdom Lodge, Port Orleans French Quarter, Dolphin, Coronado Springs (x3), Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans-Riverside, All Star Sports, All Star Music, 2011 Disney Dream, 2012 Disney Wonder to Alaska, 2012 MNSSHP, 2013 Disneyland 10K, 2014 Princess Half Marathon and 5K

January 2015: WDW Marathon and 5K (AOA/AKL/GF/Poly)
March/April 2015: WL/CR
pixarmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 04:44 PM   #9
princessap
DIS Veteran

Mousemommy I thought you had switched to GF???
princessap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 04:46 PM   #10
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessap View Post
Mousemommy I thought you had switched to GF???
Yup, that happened. But I have since switched away....

I just couldn't get excited about it.

Who knows where we will actually end up.

PAST TRIPS:
Old 09-18-2013, 04:50 PM   #11
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigletto View Post
Old 09-18-2013, 04:54 PM   #12
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixarmom View Post
As much as our boys love the monorail (and I do too!) my feet have been far more reliable than the monorail in recent years!

And absolutely no judgment from me on the clown pool issues! I was definitely in that camp before our first BWI stay. We walked around the BWI pool area once while staying at BC just to see if I could adjust to that clown. It looked as awful as it did in the photos! Fast forward to our BWI stay when we were actually swimming in the pool - I forgot about the clown and think the BWI slide is the best at Disney. (Our boys prefer the SAB slide, but I like the BWI slide because it's not enclosed - open all the way down.) The Luna Park pool area, however, is still relatively tiny and initially, I missed SAB. But then we found the BWI quiet pool. Yay, but shhhh . . . it's uncrowded, surrounded by gardens and so relaxing. My favorite quiet pool on property!

Just a quick thought regarding CR, if you decide to go in that direction at some point. Last year, we booked CR CL with a Bay Lake View. Not all that much more expensive than the non-CL TPV and I thought it was the best of all worlds - peaceful bay view from the room, amazing theme park view from the lounge, and all the benefits of CL. We really loved CL there - the CMs were outstanding, it gave CR a much more welcoming feel and it was so convenient having breakfast, snacks, etc. right there down the hall.
I would really like CR CL, I think. But, since we spend a lot of time at the resort, I'm not sure how we'd feel about spending a lot of time at CR..... It just seems so blahhhhh..... the pool is blah, the scenery is blah...blah, blah,blah....

Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel like it would get really boring really quick...

PAST TRIPS:
Old 09-18-2013, 05:09 PM   #13
DisneyMomx7
DIS Veteran

Our original plan was to go back to the Polynesian this year - looks like that's out.

Our new plan is to go back to the GF - we had a fantastic TPV room there this summer. Of course lots depends on AP rates. If we can't get a good rate we might try CR or maybe we'll end up back at BC/YC! For now though, we are going to book the GF.

GF-2003,2004,2005,2006,2008,2009,2011,2013,2014
YC-2006,2007,2008,2014 POLY- 2006,2007,2008
BC-2008,2009,2010,2011,2012,2013
HRH-2004,2006, RPR-2012, 2014
DisneyMomx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:12 PM   #14
princessap
DIS Veteran

I really wanted the poly again for September 2014 but looks like it is out (unless they offer amazing deals with all the construction )

So we are debating between GF and CR...have CR garden wing booked right now but trying to rent a villa at GF!!!
princessap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:18 PM   #15
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessap View Post
I really wanted the poly again for September 2014 but looks like it is out (unless they offer amazing deals with all the construction )

So we are debating between GF and CR...have CR garden wing booked right now but trying to rent a villa at GF!!!
I really do like the decor at GFV!

PAST TRIPS:

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: