Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2013, 12:23 AM   #1
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Onboard Airline Check-In service when you get free checked bags

Hi!

Because DH travels a ton for work, he gets two free checked bags on United, and so do we when we travel with him.

I have been assuming that the Onboard Airline Check-In service is connected to the airline's systems in the same way that RAC's systems at WDW are, so they will be able to see this?

Can anyone answer that nagging little question I have? We didn't have a qualifying flight out on our first cruise so I just don't know.

Thank you so much in advance!!!

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 04:28 AM   #2
Bear3412
DIS Veteran

You are giving DCL's IT team too much credit.

It's supposed to work that way, and has more than not. But check with the concierge before you leave at 9:30 to assure you haven't been charged on the OBA. Of course if you have it's OK. Just call later and get those bag fees reimbursed. It will only be two weeks for said fees to credit to your CC. Oh, you paid any OBA with a gift card. Guess what, out of the $1000 applied to the account they choose to apply the $100 bag fees to the two $50 DCL Gift Cards used that we threw out.
Yep. I suggest you make sure you are not charged the fees prior to debark. And obviously keep any, and all GC. Duh...

No seriously. It should be seamless, but if you have time definitely visit GS to mention your status with the airline. They will be able to minimize the likely charge. lol. In fact they should note the account as "no bag fees", after you prove you are a lifetime platinum GS customer.

I'd still keep my GC though. lol.

Good Luck

Last edited by Bear3412; 09-19-2013 at 04:37 AM.
Bear3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-19-2013, 07:44 AM   #3
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

I agree with above....definitely check with Guest Services during the cruise to make sure they know you get free bags. I have done this for 3 cruises (flying United) and I always bring down my credit card (which gives me the free bags) to make sure they know. They make a notation on your file. Sometime the system works automatically, sometimes not so I always just go down to make sure. I always seem to see people on the guest service line on morning of debark with issues on this so being proactive earlier in the cruise helps!

Also, the Onboard Airline check in service has to be confirmed during check-in at the cruise terminal the day you board the ship. Once I thought I had it confirmed it but I obviously did not and never received our boarding passes and it was a bit of hassle near the end of the cruise to try to arrange it. so, at check in at the terminal just tell them you want to participate in the OAC program. It really is a great program.

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 1 time

)“DON'T BE SAD IT'S OVER, BE HAPPY IT HAPPENED!!
mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:08 AM   #4
DanceGirl914
Mouseketeer

Jet Blue

So with Jet Blue - first bag for each person is free. Am I being silly to assume that they know this information.
Should I also confirm this with someone at guest services.

Thanks

Past visits: Offsite with parents - 1983, March 2008 - Pop, May 2009 - ASMo, December 2010 - Pop, Sept 2011 - POFQ

Our first cruise Oct 5,2013
Next cruise Sept 27, 2014

DanceGirl914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:39 AM   #5
Mickeyhugger
DIS Veteran

Wish our family had been as lucky.

When we sailed the Fantasy summer 2012, we also got free bags (through our AA MasterCard.)

DH went to guest services night before AND the next morning (before debarkation,) and both times was reassured there was no charge. Guess what? We WERE charged. He was on the phone when we got home, (with AA) and later to DCL. It was a nightmare. We've never been reimbursed, and since then, have done self-debark. Not worth the hassle.

Mickeyhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:34 AM   #6
dizney-cruiser
DiZney CraZy ºoº
we dont want no stinkin snow in NJ!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanceGirl914 View Post
So with Jet Blue - first bag for each person is free. Am I being silly to assume that they know this information.
Should I also confirm this with someone at guest services.

Thanks
That policy is for the entire airline so they "should" know that

dizney-cruiser
(Janice)

2004 (Wonder); 2006 (Magic); 2007 (Wonder);
2008 (Magic Double Dip); 2010 (Magic Double Dip); 2011 (Dream B2B);
2012 (Fantasy B2B); 2013 (Fantasy); 2014 (Fantasy);

2015 (B2B Fantasy!)
dizney-cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:55 AM   #7
jetskigrl

Ignorance is definitely bliss sometimes!
Ok...lets shake things up a bit

We had no problem with our Jetblue flight. They follow the airline's policy and jetblue is first bag free for all travelers.

On our last cruise, I flew American and had purchased a fare that included one bag free. Early in the cruise, I took a copy of my flight information that included the fare I paid and the fare outline (that showed one free bag). The CM said that they would call the airline to verify the information. I'm guessing that either the paperwork was enough or they called the airline to verify because I was not charged for the bags by DCL.

Next Up:
jetskigrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:22 AM   #8
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Wow am I glad I started this thread! It was so easy with RAC. Yikes. I'll make sure DH brings his card and maybe print out the page about us getting them too. And hope. And I won't use gift cards.

Thank you so much for the answers and experiences!

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: