Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2013, 08:23 AM   #1
papertraveller
DIS Veteran

Taking Grandpa

Hi,
I have a notion to ask Grandpa along for a cruise sometime in 2015. We would have three staterooms for seven people: two parents and a kid in each of two rooms, and then Grandpa in the third.
The kicker is that if we book it that way, Grandpa has to pay double fare.
I don't want to break any rules, but could we book a kid in with him -- and then have the kid sleep in the room with his parents?
No flames please. If it's against the rules, then so be it. I'll look for another vacation option.
2009 WDW @ Poly;
2010 Aboard the Disney Magic (Eastern); August first trip home @ BLT; MNSSHP @ BLT; Marriott's Grande Vista;
2011 AKL Kidani; Vero Beach; Disney Magic (Western); BLT ; MNSSHP @ BLT; Marriott's Royal Palms;
2012 Beach Club Villas; Wilderness Lodge; Disney Magic (Eastern); Vero Beach; BLT; Marriott's Grande Vista;
2013 BLT; Disney Fantasy (Eastern); Wilderness Lodge; OKW-BLT; December Marriott's Cypress Harbor;
2014 OKW; Marriott's Lakeshore Reserve;
papertraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:27 AM   #2
ColoradoDisneyFreaks
DIS Veteran

It's absolutely not against the rules. You can book a child as the passenger #2 in his stateroom, but keep in mind, that passenger #2 fare will be higher than the child would be as a passenger #3 in one of the other staterooms, and unless you're selecting your rooms (out to 2015 you probably are), you may not have rooms close together. Otherwise, go for it!
Register to remove

Old 09-18-2013, 08:33 AM   #3
Four Swampers
Picture is Disney Wonder at Cabo San Lucas

This is perfectly fine. As PP mentioned, the child will pay more by being #2 in grandpa's room than #3 in parents' room; however, the overall cost should be less than if you pay double for grandpa.

Not only is this fine, but your cabin stewards can change things up during the cruise. For example, if grandpa were willing to have the kids to his room for a sleepover one night, his steward can make up the room for them to sleep there that night. Then the parents could all have a room to themselves one night. Or more, depending on how generous grandpa is feeling.
Four Swampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:39 AM   #4
crabby5
Earning My Ears

we've done this

Hi! My husband and I have 1 daughter and my father-in-law wanted to come with us, so we booked my husband and him in one room and my daughter and I in another to get the double occupancy for the room, we ended up paying a little bit more but it wasn't a problem. I don't think it was an issue, our room steward couldn't have cared less.
We're acutally getting ready to book another DCL cruise (probably tonight YAY!) and plan on doing this again.
Hope this helps.
crabby5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:09 AM   #5
jjje
One time I saw a guy wear cut-off jean shorts to dinner.

You're good to go with that plan. Have a wonderful cruise with your family!

Mom Dad and two perfectly imperfect kids Son (13) and Daughter (8)

1982-89 too many trips to Disneyland to count, 1991 Disneyland Paris, 1994 Disney World @ Beach Club, 1999 Honeymoon in Disney World @ Caribbean Beach Resort, 2001 Disney World @ All Star Music, 2004 Disney World during Hurricane Jeanne @ All Star Sports, 2005 Disney World off property, 2006 Disney World with a newborn @ All Star Movies, 2008 Disney World to celebrate surrogacy #1 @ Port Orleans French Quarter, 2010 Disneyland to celebrate surrogacy #2, 2012 Disney World @ Port Orleans Riverside to celebrate surrogacy #3, 2013 Bahamas on the Magic, 2013 Caribbean on the Wonder, 2014 Panama Canal on the Wonder

jjje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:14 AM   #6
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

That plan is absolutely fine!
Just keep in mind, though, that whatever child is booked into Grandpa's stateroom must attend the muster drill with Grandpa -- and in the unlikely event of emergecy would need to report to that muster station. Even if you select your staterooms and they are close to each other, it is still possible to have different muster stations. If the muster station issue is concerning for you, maybe book one of the adults into Grandpa's room which leaves the child to muster with one parent.

Enjoy your cruise!
lanejudy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:21 AM   #7
calismic
Mouseketeer

We are doing this as well for our cruise in March. Not only is it not against the rules, but a Disney CM was the one who suggested it to me. We placed my daughter in the room with my FIL and it saved us $700! When your rooms open up just talk to the steward and explain you will need the bed made up in your room not your fathers.

calismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:22 AM   #8
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Sounds like a good plan!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: