Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2013, 08:35 PM   #1
WallyBear
Earning My Ears

The Perfect Resort for an 8 and 4 year old

We are taking our 4 year old (almost 5) and just turned 8 year old to Disney next year for the trip of a lifetime. I was convinced that renting points for Bay Lake Towers was the way to go, but now that I see that the Villas at the Grand Floridian are opening soon I was wondering if that would be a better location on the off chance we could secure a room. Any advice from the Disney experts who know the lay of the land? I am a bit overwelmed with all of the choices.....

Thanks
WallyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:16 PM   #2
beequeen
Mouseketeer

They might enjoy staying at Animal Kingdom Lodge. You can get a room that overlooks a "savanah" with live animals. Imagine waking up to zebras and giraffes!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-17-2013, 09:53 PM   #3
yeahdisney
DIS Veteran

If you will be spending time at resort and pool I would pick AKL Kidani.
yeahdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 01:02 AM   #4
Disneyhenry
DIS Veteran

I am gonna go with what beequeen and yeahdisney said, AKL they have lots of resort activities, great food, lovely pools, awesome views and if you can swing it stay in a CL room, they get the chance to go on special tours that is reserved for only AKL CL guest. I agree that renting points is the way to go too, so if you do that a one bedroom would be a great option too. HAVE FUN

Disneyland 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008,2007, 2005, 2004, 2003, 2002, 2001, 2000, 1999, 1998, 1997, 1994
WDW Split stay AKV-Kinadi and POP 2011
DCL - DREAM 2011, Wonder to Hawaii 2012
Dec 2013 Family Reunion at WL!
Disneyhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:40 AM   #5
maryandtyson
Mouseketeer

Another option

You were planning BLT, right? I love AKL and will be there in 10 short days. But if you are looking for convenience on the monorail then maybe AKL won't work for you. I think BLT would be just fine. Great location! You can try GF. I heard the rooms are spectacular. But much more expensive, I think. Not sure when you are going.

Another option is Wilderness Lodge. We stayed there when my girls were about the same age as your children. They walked into the lobby and said, "Wow!." This resort has boat access to MK, which was super fun for the girls and super convenient for us. The pool is a lot of fun too! Rubber duckie races, hula hoop contest, which my older DD won!

Either way, your kids won't care where you stay. They are in WDW!! Have fun!
Old 09-18-2013, 05:53 AM   #6
disneyfreak33
DIS Veteran

Another vote for AKL. Our girls LOVED it. We had the Savannah view and we could not get them to come in from the balacony.

They sat out there for quite some time with their drinks on the table, coloring, and watching the animals.
disneyfreak33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:31 AM   #7
HM
A tag from the TF is better than a personalized licence plate

I also say AKL or WL for those ages.
HM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:46 AM   #8
karenklo
DIS Veteran

Our kids have loved all the resorts we have stayed at for different reasons. AKL however seems to have become the favorite. BLT will be nice because at that age our kids loved the MK and we went there every day!!

karenklo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:52 AM   #9
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HM View Post
I also say AKL or WL for those ages.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:45 AM   #10
Sheilby
Labels aren't my thing

If I only had two kids I would pick WL. Since we are a family of 5 we can't do that without going to a 2 bedroom :-(
Old 09-18-2013, 11:51 AM   #11
WallyBear
Earning My Ears

Thanks so much for the great replies. My husband suggested WL or AKL but I was concerned about traveling back and forth from the hotel to the parks. I expect our youngest will need down time in the afternoon. Is it pretty easy to travel back and forth?
WallyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:53 AM   #12
mckelvey72
Mouseketeer

Another vote for WL...and they have bunk bed rooms so the 8 year old could have their own "space" and the 4 can sleep on the bottom.

It is beautiful....having said that, we have never stayed anywhere else. It is our favorite and the kids don't want to try other places!!

mckelvey72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:17 PM   #13
HM
A tag from the TF is better than a personalized licence plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyBear View Post
Thanks so much for the great replies. My husband suggested WL or AKL but I was concerned about traveling back and forth from the hotel to the parks. I expect our youngest will need down time in the afternoon. Is it pretty easy to travel back and forth?
When we took our 4 and 6 year olds the first time, we planned on downtime at the resort in the afternoon (we were at ASMu). What we found was that our kids were too excited and hyped up to ever relax and we gave up on that plan after the first day. We just took our time in parks and stayed all day.

Now that the kids are grown up and we've been to the parks a lot, we spend time at the pool in the afternoon and we don't find the traveling back and forth to be that much of a problem at all.
HM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:47 PM   #14
Marthasor
DIS Veteran

Quote:
IMHO, no, it's not easy to travel back and forth from the hotels to the parks unless you are on the monorail or at an EP resort and visiting EP or DHS. With an 8 and 4 year old, if you plan to mostly spend time in MK, I would choose BLT or VGF. You didn't mention if you have boys or girls or both. If girls, I would lean more toward VGF. With boys, BLT. If you have one of each, I think I would choose BLT. It's fun and walking to MK can't be beat.

AKL is GORGEOUS, but if you are doing a lot of park touring or want to go back in the afternoon, it is off the beaten path. WL is nice, but I found the food options to be incredibly limited and except for the boat to MK, you have to take the bus everywhere else. When we stayed there, we shared the bus with FW and it took FOREVER.

I vote BLT or VGF!
Marthasor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:57 PM   #15
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
We are taking our 4 year old (almost 5) and just turned 8 year old to Disney next year for the trip of a lifetime. I was convinced that renting points for Bay Lake Towers was the way to go, but now that I see that the Villas at the Grand Floridian are opening soon I was wondering if that would be a better location on the off chance we could secure a room. Any advice from the Disney experts who know the lay of the land? I am a bit overwelmed with all of the choices.....

Thanks
I hope you were planning on a one bedroom villa and not a studio at BLT. The BLT studio is really small and not very suitable for a family. Much better for a couple or a couple with one small child.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: