Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-17-2013, 01:46 PM   #1
love2travel13
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 7

Best option for family of 5

My extended family (total group of 12) is looking to book VGT rooms for November Wonder sailing out of Galveston. My family (4), my in-laws (2), one sister in law (1), another sister in law (5) each want to book a VGT. Max for VGT is 4.

First question - I know she could book 2 VGTs or 2 of whatever combination. Or can we book 1 of the kids with the grandparents in their VGT? I understand this would affect muster drill is there anything else or is this considered against a policy of some sort? I think I also read something about who is allowed to get off the ship with the child based on the cabin assignments.

Second question - With a VGT can you still go to Supervisor desk at the port on day of departure and inquire about possible upgrades/cost?

Thank you!
love2travel13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 01:52 PM   #2
lanejudy
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 4,632
DISboards Moderator

It does sound like the simplest solution would be to book 1 child in with the grandparents...or better yet, with the SIL who is paying full fare for just 1 person in the stateroom. You are correct the child will need to go to the muster station assigned. No guarantee rooms will be near each other, possibly not even on the same deck. DCL doesn't really care who sleeps in which room -- however, there likely will NOT be a 5th sleeping spot for the child to sleep in the family's stateroom onboard.

As long as the parents are on the cruise, which stateroom the child is booked into will not impact his/her ability to get off the ship.

I believe *GTs can be upgraded at port, but not certain.

Enjoy your cruise!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 09-17-2013, 01:57 PM   #3
neg58
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,664

Yes, you can book the 5th passenger with the couple or the single (much better deal to book with the single SIL, as she'll be paying for 2 in her cabin anyway), but then that person would be on the MIL/SIL's bill. Easy enough to work out as each person is itemized, but just be aware that tips and excursions will be billed to that cabin even if the child sleeps elsewhere. Because it is a 5th person, you can't change the official cabin assignment, but you would be able to get another key if you need it.

You can sign permission forms for any adult to take the child off the ship, so yes, the grandparents would give permission for the parent to take the child off the ship!

You can upgrade from a VGT, but be aware that the price will be based on the lowest category, so I think that is a 7a. Even if you are assigned a 4a, if you want to upgrade to concierge, the price will be based off that 7a.
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:14 PM   #4
love2travel13
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 7

Thank you lanejudy and neg58 for the prompt replies, very helpful!

Do you know why when calling DCL they would say VGT are not eligible for upgrade at port?

Thank you!
love2travel13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:22 PM   #5
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran
 
PrincessShmoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 16,657

Quote:
Originally Posted by neg58 View Post
Yes, you can book the 5th passenger with the couple or the single (much better deal to book with the single SIL, as she'll be paying for 2 in her cabin anyway), but then that person would be on the MIL/SIL's bill. Easy enough to work out as each person is itemized, but just be aware that tips and excursions will be billed to that cabin even if the child sleeps elsewhere. Because it is a 5th person, you can't change the official cabin assignment, but you would be able to get another key if you need it.

You can sign permission forms for any adult to take the child off the ship, so yes, the grandparents would give permission for the parent to take the child off the ship!

You can upgrade from a VGT, but be aware that the price will be based on the lowest category, so I think that is a 7a. Even if you are assigned a 4a, if you want to upgrade to concierge, the price will be based off that 7a.
I believe the tips and excursions are charged to each individual's KTTW card. At least all the end of cruise bills we've received were broken out by KTTW card. You can back up the child's KTTW card with the parents CC.


Quote:
Originally Posted by love2travel13 View Post
Thank you lanejudy and neg58 for the prompt replies, very helpful!

Do you know why when calling DCL they would say VGT are not eligible for upgrade at port?

Thank you!
Because you probably got a CM who doesn't know any better. You'll find many of the CMs answering the phones have never even been near a DCL ship, much less know how everything works.

I've read many reports of *GTs being able to upgrade at the port (as long as there is availability).
__________________

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:24 PM   #6
lanejudy
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 4,632
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by love2travel13 View Post
Thank you lanejudy and neg58 for the prompt replies, very helpful!

Do you know why when calling DCL they would say VGT are not eligible for upgrade at port?

Thank you!
I do not know, other than phone CMs are not always the most knowledgeable (unfortunately, a lot of incorrect info comes from phone CMs). I have not done an upgrade from a VGT but have read posts that it's possible -- but be aware that the upgrade cost will be based on the lowest verandah category (which is a 7A I think). With a VGT, you could get assigned a 4A, so upgrading to concierge is only the next step up but could be a bigger cost.
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:33 PM   #7
love2travel13
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 7

Ok, great thank you all! Would really like to have a 4A so if don't get that when stateroom is assigned, wanted to inquire about a possible upgrade to one at the port. If not, we'll be happy with whatever we get. I would probably inquire about concierge just out of curiosity .
love2travel13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 04:34 AM   #8
TeamH5
Mouseketeer
 
TeamH5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 372

Quote:
Originally Posted by love2travel13 View Post
Ok, great thank you all! Would really like to have a 4A so if don't get that when stateroom is assigned, wanted to inquire about a possible upgrade to one at the port. If not, we'll be happy with whatever we get. I would probably inquire about concierge just out of curiosity .
You know, if you get a 4A then you could ask for the kid to be switched back to his parents' room, since 4A's will fit 5 people. They might not let you if that muster station is already full but they should base muster station population off the max allowable per room.. Worth a shot before asking for concierge!
__________________
DH ME DD-6 DD-6 DS-5 & #4 on the way sometime late April 2014

Disney newbies:
Lived the Dream January 2012
WDW AoA August 2013
Waitin for the Magic WBTA Sept 2014
TeamH5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:41 AM   #9
lanejudy
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 4,632
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamH5 View Post
You know, if you get a 4A then you could ask for the kid to be switched back to his parents' room, since 4A's will fit 5 people. They might not let you if that muster station is already full but they should base muster station population off the max allowable per room.. Worth a shot before asking for concierge!
Bolded above is incorrect...muster station capacity is NOT based on maximum room capacity. This happens frequently that people say "my stateroom can hold another passenger I want to add Aunt Sally but DCL won't let me." Total ship capacity is actually lower than the sum of sleeping spaces in each stateroom. More sleeping spaces (ceiling bunk, murphy bed) are available to allow for optimum flexibility with booking families, but as the ship fills those additional sleeping spaces may not be available in any given stateroom.

The child can sleep in any stateroom, but will need to attend the muster drill at the location for the assigned/reserved stateroom. If OP gets a 4A, there should be a 5th bed option, most other staterooms will not include a 5th sleeping space. Certainly someone could sleep on the floor, maybe bring an air mattress; or if 2 of the kids are quite young they may be able to share the sofa bed with heads at each end. But regardless of where anyone sleeps, each person will be on the list for the muster station of the stateroom noted on the reservation.
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:45 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.