Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2013, 12:35 PM   #46
HBGdancermom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArwenMarie View Post
Oh yeah, it is more work and walking. But we found it also more fun, so more worth the work. My point was that if someone is looking at BC because of SAB for an enhanced water experience, they might also just want think about going to the waterparks instead.

I still loved BC, the location is amazing!!! Being so close to World Showcase/Epcot, and it's such a pretty walk and just being able to stroll home after Illuminations, awesome!
We are staying for the first time at BC in Oct. I really picked the resort for the location!!! Love it! I think the SAB will be great for us as well since our kids are older and really good swimmers (swimteam year round...oh help me...) I would have been way to much of a nervous Nelly if we had gone there when the kids were smaller.

Glad you had a great trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJA View Post
My kids still love SAB (now age 10) but I loved it more when they were toddlers. That section that is shallow water and sandy bottom was an incredible amount of fun for us probably when the kids were ages 1 through 4. We sometimes spent an entire day there. Then when the kids became somewhat good swimmers, maybe ages 5 through 7, it became a little more challenging because they were interested in the other parts of SAB too. So we were constantly moving to different chairs/locations and it was kind of a hassle. Now my kids are older and we just stay in the "big kid" section and it's fine. They love it I think because it is so large and spread out -- they never get bored. At other Disney resorts, they tend to get bored after a while, but never at SAB.
I am hoping this will be us this year!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by v.t. View Post
Our only complaint with SAB is that we couldn't get the boys out of there. They also wanted to stay up late every night to play volleyball and then wouldn't get up for RD. Of course the kids are older......
I know this will be us!!
Old 09-19-2013, 01:24 PM   #47
ladyandthetramp2
Mouseketeer

I couldn't agree with the OP more!!!!!
ladyandthetramp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-19-2013, 01:55 PM   #48
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran

I'm with OP on all counts. I've actually got one more thing I didn't like about SAB. When we were there, SAB never opened until 10am. Every other resort we've stayed at the main pool opened at 8am. Actually the pools are technically open 24hrs but they have lifeguards starting at 8am. We're early birds and we spend every 3rd day at our resort. It's nice going out for a swim in the morning. SAB was originally one of the big selling points about YC when we stayed there. We didn't get to use it as much because it wasn't open early.

My kids are decent swimmers and are older. They love big slides and water features but they do tend to really enjoy simpler pools with nice theming (they love the volcano pool at Poly and the Nemo pool at AoA). They ended up wanting to stay in one area pretty much the whole time we were in the pool. Plus, DD13 (then 11) got kicked in the head twice during the kids pool games. I hope they've figured out how to prevent that from happening to other kids.

We did love the sand and the sinking sand was a definite highlight. I'd love to see the sand at other pools. That and the whirlpool area were the only things we really enjoyed about the pool. We spent a lot more time in the quiet pool. Since SAB was the biggest reason we chose YC, that was disappointing but we enjoyed it more than SAB.

Multi-Allergy & Autism Dining Reviews: February 2014 * DL & LA July 2013 * February 2013 * August 2012 * February 2012 * August 2011 * August 2010

February 2014 AKL: me, DH, DD15, DD13 * July 2013 DL offsite (Tropicana): me, DH, DD15, DD12, DSD30, DSSil * February 2013 WDW Poly: me, DH, DD14, DD12
August 2012 WDW FW Cabin & AoA Nemo: me, DH, DD14, DD12, DD12's BFF11 * February 2012 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD14, DD11 * August 2011 WDW YC: me, DH, DD13, DD11
February 2011 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD13, DD10, DSD28, DSSil * August 2010 WDW POFQ & Poly CL: me, DH, DD12, DD10 * June 2010 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD12, DD9
December 2009 WDW POFQ: me, DH, DD11, DD9 * February 2009 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD11, DD8 * August 2008 WDW SSR: me, DH, DSD25, DSD24, DD10, DD8
September 2007 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD9, DD7 * April 2002 DLR offsite: me, DH, DSD19, DSD17, DD4, DD1.5 * June 2000 DLR offsite: me(pregnant), DH, DSD17, DSD15, DD2
January 1994 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD11, DSD9 * January 1992 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD9, DSD7
clanmcculloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 03:30 PM   #49
jenrose66
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArwenMarie View Post
We just got back from a stay at Beach Club...We have two kids, elementary-school age.

I was SO not impressed with Stormalong Bay.

First of all, the pirate ship slide, while it looks awesome, is the biggest pain ever. The way you have to walk across the path and all the way over and then come back down. Ugh.

All of the ropes are annoying too. I understand the need to keep the pool for guests, but they need to have more openings. I felt like I had to walk a mile just to get back into the pool area from Hurricane Hanna's.

It was also SO crowded. Enough said there.

The layout is so confusing as well. Maybe I just didn't figure it out enough.

Anyway, SAB was the reason we went with BC, but to us, it's a minus now. I would much prefer a regular pool. I think with older children it might be more fun.

Anyone else not a fan?
would agree with your assessment. The layout was confusing, going over the various bridges barefoot was uncomfortable and if you have multiple kids who want to play in different areas it would make supervision tough.

I thought the sand bottom was neat and the play area with sand buckets were cute, but I'd prefer to stay at the board walk with my family if I found myself able to stay in that area again.
Old 09-19-2013, 03:34 PM   #50
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by clanmcculloch View Post
I'm with OP on all counts. I've actually got one more thing I didn't like about SAB. When we were there, SAB never opened until 10am. Every other resort we've stayed at the main pool opened at 8am. Actually the pools are technically open 24hrs but they have lifeguards starting at 8am. We're early birds and we spend every 3rd day at our resort. It's nice going out for a swim in the morning. SAB was originally one of the big selling points about YC when we stayed there. We didn't get to use it as much because it wasn't open early.
It isn't open late either, and that is why my family didn't care for it. We are swim after a long day in the parks people. You can't do that and enjoy SAB.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 03:41 PM   #51
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Our recent trip was the first at BC for us and we really liked SAB. We spent alot more time there than we have at any other resort pool, and its definitely a reason we'd stay at BC again.
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:23 PM   #52
wendybeth75
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by freckles04 View Post
I always wanted to stay at BC to try SAB but I can't pay rack rate for it and haven't been able to nab a discount for it. But this thread is making me feel a bit better about my choice of POR.
I love POR! I have stayed both at BC and POR and love both places, you wont be sorry at POR! Try the build your own pasta from the food court while you are there, very Yumtastic!

July 2000 Off Property,Oct 2003 All Star sports, Apr 2011 POR, Sept 2011 POR, Oct 2012 BC, Dec 2012 POR, Oct 2013 POLY, Dec 2013 Caribe Royale, Apr 2014 AKL/WL-CL June 2014 POR, October 2014 POR

wendybeth75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:46 PM   #53
jamescanuck2001
Mouseketeer

Have used SAB several times.... it was much better (open, much more accessible) when it wasn't blocked off to control access

Now it feels cramped

For next trip considering Marriott Grande Lakes... can anyone here compare SAB to Grande Lakes pool
Old 09-20-2013, 02:15 AM   #54
Hibernians
Donald Duck Changed My Life

I completely disagree with the OP - our first stay at BCV was in 2007 when our 4 children were ages 8,8,6 and 5. My wife and I had no problem with the layout of SAB; yes its sprawling and a little bit confusing at first, but we quickly figured out where we needed to be in order to watch our children - we have since been back to BCV 2 more times and have experienced no issues whatsoever.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: