Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2013, 01:55 PM   #1
ArwenMarie
DIS Veteran

Stormalong Bay Opinion

We just got back from a stay at Beach Club...We have two kids, elementary-school age.

I was SO not impressed with Stormalong Bay.

First of all, the pirate ship slide, while it looks awesome, is the biggest pain ever. The way you have to walk across the path and all the way over and then come back down. Ugh.

All of the ropes are annoying too. I understand the need to keep the pool for guests, but they need to have more openings. I felt like I had to walk a mile just to get back into the pool area from Hurricane Hanna's.

It was also SO crowded. Enough said there.

The layout is so confusing as well. Maybe I just didn't figure it out enough.

Anyway, SAB was the reason we went with BC, but to us, it's a minus now. I would much prefer a regular pool. I think with older children it might be more fun.

Anyone else not a fan?
ArwenMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:07 PM   #2
Masonmj84
DIS Veteran

I too think it's somewhat overrated.

Feel exactly the same way you do about the slide (plus, it's very bumpy).

Also don't like how the lazy river is so deep and that some pool sections are disconnected.

The sand bottom was kind of cool but nothing to really wow over IMO.

That being said, I thought the guy doing the kids' activities was terrific. He really seemed to love his job and truly seemed to care about making things fun and memorable for the kids.

FWIW, we were there in early December, so it wasn't that crowded (one day it was only in the 60's and we practically had the place, including the hot tubs, to ourselves).

To me, the biggest selling point of BC/YC isn't SAB, it's the location.
Register to remove

Old 09-17-2013, 02:21 PM   #3
msjprincess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArwenMarie View Post
We just got back from a stay at Beach Club...We have two kids, elementary-school age.

I was SO not impressed with Stormalong Bay.

First of all, the pirate ship slide, while it looks awesome, is the biggest pain ever. The way you have to walk across the path and all the way over and then come back down. Ugh.

All of the ropes are annoying too. I understand the need to keep the pool for guests, but they need to have more openings. I felt like I had to walk a mile just to get back into the pool area from Hurricane Hanna's.

It was also SO crowded. Enough said there.

The layout is so confusing as well. Maybe I just didn't figure it out enough.

Anyway, SAB was the reason we went with BC, but to us, it's a minus now. I would much prefer a regular pool. I think with older children it might be more fun.

Anyone else not a fan?
When I was there 2 weeks ago there was an opening right next to Hurricane Hannah's.
msjprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:23 PM   #4
starousse
DIS Veteran

I too, agree with you 100% about all of the points you make. The slide was completely out of the way and a complete pain to get to. I hated walking in a bathing suit away from the hotel across that walkway. The entire pool area seemed like one big maze. You had to walk over bridges and up and down stairs to get from the kiddie pool to the regular pool. I have two kids, 7 and 4, and it was more stressful than relaxing. The only positive was the good poolside waitress service.
starousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:29 PM   #5
ArwenMarie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by msjprincess View Post
When I was there 2 weeks ago there was an opening right next to Hurricane Hannah's.
Really? I saw an opening right there, but it was always roped off when we were there.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:32 PM   #6
jade1
If your lucky enough to live on the lake, your lucky enough.

I can see that. But we (older) like to tread water in the 8 foot section (only spot in WDW we have found) while the rest run all over the place. Then we stay on the beach chairs which is never crowded, and go down the slide from there once in a while.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:33 PM   #7
ArwenMarie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masonmj84 View Post
I too think it's somewhat overrated.

Feel exactly the same way you do about the slide (plus, it's very bumpy).

Also don't like how the lazy river is so deep and that some pool sections are disconnected.

The sand bottom was kind of cool but nothing to really wow over IMO.

That being said, I thought the guy doing the kids' activities was terrific. He really seemed to love his job and truly seemed to care about making things fun and memorable for the kids.

FWIW, we were there in early December, so it wasn't that crowded (one day it was only in the 60's and we practically had the place, including the hot tubs, to ourselves).

To me, the biggest selling point of BC/YC isn't SAB, it's the location.
I agree, the location is amazing. SAB is what sort of tipped us over into wanting to try it.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:34 PM   #8
ArwenMarie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by starousse View Post
I too, agree with you 100% about all of the points you make. The slide was completely out of the way and a complete pain to get to. I hated walking in a bathing suit away from the hotel across that walkway. The entire pool area seemed like one big maze. You had to walk over bridges and up and down stairs to get from the kiddie pool to the regular pool. I have two kids, 7 and 4, and it was more stressful than relaxing. The only positive was the good poolside waitress service.
It was very stressful. We went twice and then made excuses for the rest of the trip lol.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:35 PM   #9
sesame_123
Mouseketeer

And there is a regular/quiet pool at the villas there too.
sesame_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:35 PM   #10
ArwenMarie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade1 View Post
I can see that. But we (older) like to tread water in the 8 foot section (only spot in WDW we have found) while the rest run all over the place. Then we stay on the beach chairs which is never crowded, and go down the slide from there once in a while.
I can see with older kids it would be fun and a nice change from the regular pools.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:37 PM   #11
gwynne
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArwenMarie View Post
It was very stressful. We went twice and then made excuses for the rest of the trip lol.
Did you get a chance to try the quiet pools? They are very nice.

TY Kook
Trip planning is half the fun! Ad astra per aspera ~Ginny~
gwynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:40 PM   #12
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

When we stayed at YC in April, we enjoyed SAB, but had most of the same issues.

The sand actually hurt our feet.

But yes, going to Hurricane Hannah's was a PITA because you had to go over all of God's creation to get there. There was no opening when we were there. Not so much fun when your carrying a bunch of food and drinks....

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:42 PM   #13
freckles04
DIS Veteran

I always wanted to stay at BC to try SAB but I can't pay rack rate for it and haven't been able to nab a discount for it. But this thread is making me feel a bit better about my choice of POR.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:49 PM   #14
ElizabethB
I have a raw meat fetish. Who knew!!??

We love SAB -- often it's more important to us than the parks. We love the variety of things to do there. It doesn't bother us to walk across the pathway to get to the slide. We can spend hours on a tube enjoying the lazy river. We love the sandy bottom, too.
ElizabethB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 03:17 PM   #15
ArwenMarie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynne View Post
Did you get a chance to try the quiet pools? They are very nice.
We did, that's where we ended up They were nice (and relatively empty).

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: