Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2013, 07:11 PM   #16
marylandgirl
Mouseketeer

We stayed in April and loved everything about it. Our Casitas room was great and we were upgraded to a lake view for free. We had breakfast at the Pepper Market and thought the food was good and our waitress attentive and friendly. Maybe it was the time of year you went there or something. But I believe CSR is a great resort and would recommend it. It's a moderately priced resort so I don't except it to be 5 star service when I go, but I enjoy it.
marylandgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:22 PM   #17
Peepster

Earning My Ears

We've stayed almost everywhere and this resort wins our prize as the least favorite by a mile. We hit all the most rude CM's ever in one place, longest walk to room and bus stop, room not the cleanest....oh, suffice to say we must have hit it all wrong and we know that can happen to one and never to another. However we did make a pact to not tempt fate again.
Peepster is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-17-2013, 08:35 PM   #18
Robbi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peepster View Post
We've stayed almost everywhere and this resort wins our prize as the least favorite by a mile. We hit all the most rude CM's ever in one place, longest walk to room and bus stop, room not the cleanest....oh, suffice to say we must have hit it all wrong and we know that can happen to one and never to another. However we did make a pact to not tempt fate again.
This was our experience at the Poly 2x. On top of that, they sent us to the wrong building. Then none of the CMs on the grounds could tell us where the correct building was located.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:02 PM   #19
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

There are maps of the Poly scattered about the grounds or at least there used to be.

I don't care for CSR either but we had tons of trouble with the room key plus I didn't care for the theming.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:08 PM   #20
Robbi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planogirl View Post
There are maps of the Poly scattered about the grounds or at least there used to be.

I don't care for CSR either but we had tons of trouble with the room key plus I didn't care for the theming.
Which is how we found our building. The CM at check in sent us to Rapa Nui and we were supposed to be in Tuvalu. You'd think a CM could tell you where a building was located or at least point us to a map instead of shrugging their shoulders.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:29 PM   #21
lindsroc
DIS Veteran

Stayed there once, didn't like it. It didn't feel "Disney" to me.

1st Disney trip Oct 29 2007 - Saratoga Springs ... Trip #2, April/May 2009 - Coronado Springs Resort
Trip #3, May 2010 - Offsite ... Trip #4, May 2011 -Polynesian
Trip #5, October 2013 - Boardwalk Inn
lindsroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:26 PM   #22
karmacats
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peepster View Post
I'm with you! I really want to like the resort, but I just don't (except for the pool, which I love).

Our first stay way back in 1998 was ok - the resort was pretty new, and we were used to values/offsite, so we were pretty happy with it.

We stayed here again in 2011 for a short 3-night visit. Asked for a room in a quiet location; ended up next to the elevator. It seemed quiet enough when we checked in late at night so we didn't bother to move. The bottom of our bathtub was coated in black soot-like stuff; we thought maybe the cleaning folks had rinsed out a mop in there or something, so we just washed it down the drain and went to bed. Fast forward to the next morning. Woken up at 6 a.m. by everyone in our building passing by our room to get to the elevator, and then kept up by the constant ding-ding, ding-ding of the elevator opening. Go to shower to wake myself up, and the black soot is back. Hmmm, mysterious. We decide not to bother with a room change because we've only got 2 more nights, but ask mousekeeping to scrub the tub. Come back in the evening - more black. Finally crouch and look under the faucet area - it's full of black mold. Presumably the "soot" was mold spores. Next morning go to front desk and ask them to fix this while we're at the parks; get home hours later and it's still there. Go to front desk again, tell them we're going to pool for an hour and would like this fixed while we're gone because we need to shower after swimming; get back and mold is still there. Ended up using a lot of towels that week because we kept having to wash the tub ourselves. Also ended up with the least rest ever on a vacation thanks to our noisy location. On our way out, stopped by the front desk again to tell them our mold issue was never resolved and they promised to completely replace the faucet assembly for the next guests. I hope they did, because many people are sensitive to mold.

Decided to give CSR one more try last year, figuring the 2011 room was just a fluke. Checked in at 1 pm, was told mousekeeping was working on room and they would text us when ready. No problem; I know checkin is 3. By 3:30 still had not received a text. Stood in line forever to get to the checkin counter again to check on status of room. Told it's not ready. Now, how can that be when mousekeeping was working on it 2.5 hours ago? Then the snotty girl behind the desk proceeds to tell me how checkin is 5 and the rooms generally aren't ready until then, at which point i ask to speak to her manager and, voila, my room is suddenly ready. I normally love talking to CMs, but this checkin girl just had a chip on her shoulder as big as anything. Long story short, it turns out the room had been ready for 2 hours and we could have been resting from our 14 hour drive instead of dragging our exhausted behinds all over the resort while we waited. Our room was ok (they made a big deal about upgrading us to a room overlooking the lion fountain), but the location was really far away from an elevator and very inconvenient to both the main building and parking.

Also, just a little gripe, but I hate the door that separates the bathroom area from the main room. It's pretty, but it's already a very tight squeeze between the bed and the wall, and adding the door just makes it tighter. I wear size 8.5 women's shoes, not a particularly large size, and i have to turn my feet sideways to squish in there. Not very well-thought-out at all.

Anyway, after our horrible room the second visit and the horrible check-in service the third, we decided no more. We love POR, and that's our moderate of choice from now on.
karmacats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:30 PM   #23
siestakey
Malificent Fan

Stayed once, never again. POFQ is the best place ever!!

siestakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:13 PM   #24
E-P-C-O-T
DIS Veteran

I almost feel bad saying this, but, we have tried it twice and sincerely tried to love CSR, but, it really isn't the resort for my family. Just so you have an idea DH, has had a convention there the past 2 years and will attend the convention in 2014 and except for 2012, we don't stay at CSR. He would rather drive to the convention, than walking to it. We don't like the food options, how far everything is (and I love to walk) or the convention feel of the hotel (and we have stayed there for a convention). For some reason we find the CMs to be less friendly and lacking the Disney magic that we always experience at other resorts.

May09 CSR /AKV/BWV Sep09 VWL Jan10 POP/AKV APR10 POP Jun10 AKL/BWV Sep10 BCV Jan11 POP/BWV May11 BCV/BWV Jun/Jul11 SWAN/SSR Sep11 AKV/BWV/BCV Jan12 POP/BCV Feb 12 SSR May12 POP/AKV/BCV Sep12 2012 AKV/BCV/Disney Dream Dec12 Reunion Resort/WL May/Jun13 AKV/BCV/Reunion Resort/BLT Oct13 AKL Dec/Jan14 BCV/AOA/AKV Jan BCV

Currently planning many other trips, but, Mommy is running low on DVC points
E-P-C-O-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:49 PM   #25
SammiL
Mouseketeer

I appreciated how quiet the resort was, especially since I was doing a split stay and came directly from Pop. I also loved the rooms, pretty grounds, and the dig site. BUT, getting anywhere felt like a hike and I didn't care for the food. I ran into an issue with the squirrels like the OPs wife as well. They're obviously used to being fed/finding food around the pool and aren't afraid of people what so ever! They ran all over our towels and bags to try and snatch a fry.. Ended up catching one drinking our piña colada when we turned our backs! Overall, I enjoyed my stay at CSR but prob wouldn't choose to stay there again.

Disneyland - many, many times and counting
WDW - 1994 offsite // 2013 Split POP and CSR // Oct 2014 AOA and POR

SammiL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:49 AM   #26
T1gger
Tigger Girl

It's a shame to hear of the less than magical experiences at CSR - we had a great holiday there and loved the resort and thankfully didn't have any of the problems some others have had (that black mold - ewww!!)

It was our first time at Disney so maybe not having anything else to compare it to made a difference but we thought the resort was beautiful - I think we were lucky with our room allocations - a corner room in a building about halfway between the main building and the dig pool.

We didnt find the walk to the main building bad - in fact it was really nice as it was so beautiful and I loved that the Pepper Market (at the time) was a buffet on the QDSP

We did toy with going back but I always worry it isn't as good second time round so are going elsewhere but have lovely memories of CSR and I hope they address the issues people are having as it is a gorgeous resort.

(and yes there is music playing - they have speakers in the bushes along the paths beside the main building)

Dec 85 Off-site
Apr 10 Off-site
Oct 12 CSR
Oct 14 OKW
T1gger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:36 AM   #27
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmacats View Post

Also, just a little gripe, but I hate the door that separates the bathroom area from the main room. It's pretty, but it's already a very tight squeeze between the bed and the wall, and adding the door just makes it tighter. I wear size 8.5 women's shoes, not a particularly large size, and i have to turn my feet sideways to squish in there. Not very well-thought-out at all.
Really? Those doors are one of my favorite things about the rooms at CSR! I wish they would put them in all of the resorts! They make it much easier to get ready in the morning without waking up the rest of the family.

I wear a size 9 or 9 1/2 shoe, and had no trouble getting into the sink area. And the door is built into the wall, so I'm not sure why it was giving you trouble. I think the side next to the wall by the bed is always a bit snug, the door doesn't really have anything to do with it.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:46 AM   #28
Jack&Ryan'smom
DIS Veteran

We were just there 9/2- 9/7 for the first time . We usually stay at POR but wanted to try some place different this trip. I liked it but didn't live it. We loved the pool & the rooms. We loved how quiet the resort was. We did not like the food choices . Pepper mart was awful! Hated the whole set up. I would rather have a large food court that had more hours of operation.
The squirrels were a huge problem as others have mentioned! They were fearless. They climbed on tables and were on lounge chairs.
Staff was very nice. No problems with them.
Think we will stick with POR on any future trips.

1981-Offsite...1986-Poly...1987-Contemporary...1992-CBR...1995-All Star Sports (Honeymoon Part2)...1997-Old Tree Houses...1999-Offsite (Never Again!)...2002-All Star Music (DS#1 1st Trip)...2007-POR(DS#2 1st Trip)...2009-POP...2011-POR...2013 - CSR.

No More ticker...
Jack&Ryan'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:54 AM   #29
E&As Mom
Mouseketeer

Just returned from our 2nd stay @ CSR and

can't wait to go back in September 2015 (gosh, that seems SO far away)!

It's true that the Disney theming is probably a little more subdued, but I'm okay with that, since we see it so much at every park, store, and most restaurants. Our family enjoys the spread out feel of the resort, only because it makes it seem a little more quiet after long busy days at the parks. The multiple bus stops don't bother us, but mainly that's probably because we have requested (and stayed) in Ranchos bulding 7B, which is very close to bus station #4; that is the 3rd stop for the park buses, so only 1 left after we catch the bus. I personally love the doors that separate the bathroom area from the room, as it affords me the opportunity to get ready for the day, having a little privacy while letting my DDs and DH sleep in a little while longer. The area between the bed and the wall... well, DH and I usually take the bed by the door. We used the quiet pool probably as much as the main pool this trip. Love the main pool theming, the nightly campfires with s'mores, and the movies by the pool in the evenings. I know that a lot of other resorts probably do this too, but it sure is nice. The grounds are beautiful to us, and the resort is incredible lit up at night. We enjoyed strolling the grounds in the evening just to take it all in.

I would agree that the Pepper Market isn't much to write home about as far as quality goes. The tipping aspect doesn't bother me; the wait staff has always been very attentive to us and friendly the few times we have eaten there.

I guess my point is that it's great that there are so many choices @ WDW as far as resorts go, sizewise, theming, and price. There is something out there for everyone!

OP, I hope your DH is feeling better!

Visits:
1977 - mid 1990s - Too many visits to count, 1999 - Delayed Honeymoon and DH's 1st trip to The World , 2008 - POR - Grand Gathering of 14 Mousekeeteers and our girls' first trip to The World, 2010 - CBR, 2011 - CSR, 2013 - All Star Sports - Surprise trip to proudly watch my niece march @ MK, 2013 - CSR, 2014 - Old Key West - Celebration Vacation! , 2015 - Yacht Club
DCL:
October 2014 - Disney Wonder
E&As Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 10:29 AM   #30
gogo
DIS Veteran

We really like CSR. We've stayed quite a few times. The resort is large but so are many of the resorts. One of the things I enjoy about CSR is the diverse theming. I love how the different sections are all so different. When at Disney I like to get up early and walk around the lake.

I did feel that the marketplace was packed in the morning for breakfast. It is a small location. And, our toilet didn't flush in the a.m. I had to call maintenance. But, I can see this happening anywhere. Some of the negatives I've read are possible at all the resorts. I'm not sure how it only applies to CSR.

As far as the squirrels being fearless, its probably because of people feeding them. That can be true at any of the resorts. I don't think aggressive squirrels are only at CSR.

CSR feels more adult oriented which for some it a positive experience. I know a lot of people like POFQ. I like it but felt the pool was more geared toward young kids. Anyhow, I think anyone considering CSR should try it.
gogo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: