Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2013, 03:36 PM   #16
Dug720
SQUIRREL!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomagic View Post

Wouldn't you still need a KTTW card or something similar? Just thinking about times in port where "security" checked our ID's & KTTW cards before allowing us to proceed back to the ship.
The band would pull up the same info your KTTW card would.

And you should really carry ID with you whenever you leave the ship anyway.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:58 PM   #17
gomagic
Go Bucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dug720 View Post
The band would pull up the same info your KTTW card would.

And you should really carry ID with you whenever you leave the ship anyway.
I'm NOT talking about when you actually board the ship again in port - where the crew member scans your card etc. I said when the "security" in port checks your ID and KTTW card before allowing you to proceed to the ship. Also I never said I wouldn't take my ID with me. I am well aware of the fact that I am required to have it with me when I leave the ship. No need to remind me of that!
Register to remove

Old 09-17-2013, 04:16 PM   #18
truck1
Growing older but not up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfox97
They ARE testing Magic Bands on the cruise line 100%. We were told it would be 2-3 years before they make it onto the ships. They actually started testing them first at Castaway Cay.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Its been around for a while now. In 09 or 10 my kids had them in the clubs on one or both of the classics. At the time it was only the ship. It was supposed to be able to help locate a child at any point on the ships.
truck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 04:55 PM   #19
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck1 View Post
Its been around for a while now. In 09 or 10 my kids had them in the clubs on one or both of the classics. At the time it was only the ship. It was supposed to be able to help locate a child at any point on the ships.
Not those truck1; the Magic Bands like they have in the parks that will eventually replace our KTTW cards My daughter has had those Kids Club Mickey Bands since 2010 as well; they have been around a while....

2015 - Wonder Mar 4n; Magic June 11n Norway/Iceland; Dream Oct 4n ~ 2014 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Magic - Oct SOUTHERN/B2B repo ~ 2013 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Dream Oct 4n; Oct Magic B2B ~
2012 Feb Dream & Fantasy x2 - June Eastern, Dec Western ~ 2011 Magic x2 - Jan 5n DD, Oct Western ~ 2010 Wonder Aug 5n DD ~ 2005 Fairytale Wedding @ GF Wedding Pavilion & 3n Wonder

Last edited by Silverfox97; 09-17-2013 at 09:38 PM.
Silverfox97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:13 PM   #20
clten
DIS Veteran

I'm definitely in the "hope they don't" camp. It would be more inconvenient for me to have a band rather than a card. I don't want to have something I need to wear all day just to be able to get into and out of my room. Rather have a flat card in my pocket. Wouldn't need it for photos or anything else that they currently use the Magic Bands for so it is a whole lot of technology for no benefit to me. And the pp is correct, you will need something for port security. On one of our cruises this spring, not only did they look at the KTTW card to make sure we were sailing with Disney, they had to look at the dates to make sure we were sailing with Disney this week. Not info that you can get to them with a Magic Band.

(Other reasons the cards are better: Look better in scrapbooks; when they don't credit a cruise to your CC status, can't send a photocopy of a MagicBand as proof you were there; MagicBands don't fit in the slot to power the electricity in the room (I'd prefer to be a little greener than wear a band all week) and most importantly, I can't look at my dining rotation on a MagicBand.)
clten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:21 PM   #21
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Quote:
That was a misconception many of us had about the kid club bracelets. It simply scans when the kid goes in and out of the club. There is no GPS device in the device.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:33 PM   #22
wdw_monster
Mouseketeer

I think theatric band would be great on the cruise, better then having to carry that card with you everywhere but I guess you would have to have your Id with you still

Old 09-17-2013, 10:40 PM   #23
wdw_monster
Mouseketeer

* the magic band dang auto spell

Old 09-17-2013, 10:51 PM   #24
erocrobro
DIS Veteran

I would definitely vote for the bands both on the cruise and in the parks. I don't carry a purse on a cruise, and I wore a lot of maxi dresses or sundresses with no pockets. That meant I had to wear my KTTW card around my neck on a lanyard, but remove it every time we did a picture. Removing a bracelet wouldn't mess up my hair like removing a lanyard (I know, girl problems!) Also, I'm sure my kids would much rather wear a Mickey Band than the chunky monitor they wear for the clubs.

erocrobro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:29 AM   #25
perfectmatch300
United We Stand
Will ride anything with "roller coaster" in the name!

We are among the group who would greatly prefer to use a card as opposed to a band.
Old 09-18-2013, 01:08 AM   #26
n8nally
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfox97 View Post
They ARE testing Magic Bands on the cruise line 100%. We were told it would be 2-3 years before they make it onto the ships. They actually started testing them first at Castaway Cay.

I heard the same thing from the big wig Disney execs that were showing annual passholders the MagicBands over the summer at Odyssey at Epcot!

I've eaten at 148 out of 247 restaurants at Walt Disney World (60%)
I've eaten at 56 out of 87 quick service/counter service restaurants at Walt Disney World (64%)
I've eaten at 39 out of 73 table-service restaurants at Walt Disney World (53%)
I've eaten at 6 out of 18 signature restaurants at Walt Disney World (33%)
I've eaten at 2 out of 3 dinner show restaurants at Walt Disney World (67%)

n8nally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:51 AM   #27
truck1
Growing older but not up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgraves

That was a misconception many of us had about the kid club bracelets. It simply scans when the kid goes in and out of the club. There is no GPS device in the device.
The original ones did. I think they still do. There was a thread not long ago where someone's child fell asleep in a dead zone in a club and the family got mad because no one could find them. The cm told the family that the child hadn't checked out. It wasn't showing a location in the club. I'm not going to debate how and how long it took to find the child but the systems been there. The way the I found out was I was talking to the cm while waiting for my kids. They told me at the time the system was only in place on the ship. They were working on CC next. That was in 09 or 10ish. It came about from parents coming to get there kids and the crew having to track the kids down on the phone during scavenger hunts for example. .I'm pretty sure that the bands they use for the kids clubs are the same as the magic bands the difference being what programs are loaded and enabled.
truck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:10 AM   #28
seashellmama
Mouseketeer

Neither the Magic Bands nor the kids club Mickey Bands have GPS, or any other locating device. They may both have active RFID, but it was made very clear when we signed the kids up last week that they do NOT have the ability to tell where a kid is on the ship.
seashellmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:17 AM   #29
cypressmom
Love my Disney vacations!

Are they waterproof?

Disney World, 1986,1995, 2011 & 2014
Disneyland, 2001, 2007, 2010, 2011 & 2013
Disney Cruise Line, 2012 & 2014
cypressmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:28 AM   #30
jjje
One time I saw a guy wear cut-off jean shorts to dinner.

Quote:
The original ones did. I think they still do. There was a thread not long ago where someone's child fell asleep in a dead zone in a club and the family got mad because no one could find them. The cm told the family that the child hadn't checked out. It wasn't showing a location in the club. I'm not going to debate how and how long it took to find the child but the systems been there. The way the I found out was I was talking to the cm while waiting for my kids. They told me at the time the system was only in place on the ship. They were working on CC next. That was in 09 or 10ish. It came about from parents coming to get there kids and the crew having to track the kids down on the phone during scavenger hunts for example. .I'm pretty sure that the bands they use for the kids clubs are the same as the magic bands the difference being what programs are loaded and enabled.
When we were on the Magic this past February my husband asked specifically about the bracelets and GPS capability and we were told the bracelets do NOT work that way. They can tell if the kid is in the Lab or the Club because kids are required to tap in and tap out of each area. They can't tell you any more than that.

Mom Dad and two perfectly imperfect kids Son (13) and Daughter (8)

1982-89 too many trips to Disneyland to count, 1991 Disneyland Paris, 1994 Disney World @ Beach Club, 1999 Honeymoon in Disney World @ Caribbean Beach Resort, 2001 Disney World @ All Star Music, 2004 Disney World during Hurricane Jeanne @ All Star Sports, 2005 Disney World off property, 2006 Disney World with a newborn @ All Star Movies, 2008 Disney World to celebrate surrogacy #1 @ Port Orleans French Quarter, 2010 Disneyland to celebrate surrogacy #2, 2012 Disney World @ Port Orleans Riverside to celebrate surrogacy #3, 2013 Bahamas on the Magic, 2013 Caribbean on the Wonder, 2014 Panama Canal on the Wonder
jjje is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: