Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2013, 02:33 AM   #1
slzer0
DIS Veteran

RFID during Magic refit?

I was just reading about MagicBands, and I was thinking... wouldnt it make sense for the refit to include the MB tech, if theyre planning on eventually moving the cruises to MB vs KTTW?

Although the lights are KTTW-based. But then they have to know people are working around that.

Thoughts?
Anyon
He cruising Magic when she's back at sea, maybe keep an eye out?
Old 09-17-2013, 07:06 AM   #2
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

I really hope not!

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-17-2013, 07:10 AM   #3
slzer0
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgraves
I really hope not!
Why not? You wouldnt prefer a bracelet to a card hanging around your neck?
Old 09-17-2013, 07:16 AM   #4
DisneyNutMary
DIS Veteran

Magic bands as opposed to KTTW on the ships would be great. Less worry about the kids losing them. And one less thing to remember to grab on the way out the door is always a good thing.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:28 AM   #5
piglet33
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyNutMary View Post
Magic bands as opposed to KTTW on the ships would be great. Less worry about the kids losing them. And one less thing to remember to grab on the way out the door is always a good thing.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:30 AM   #6
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

This was brought up on the boards the other day and I am not sure how I would feel. I do not think I would like to wear the band all week long on a cruise. Many kids were complaining about wearing the thinner kids club bracelets so I don't know how they would feel about the bigger MB's.

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 1 time

)“DON'T BE SAD IT'S OVER, BE HAPPY IT HAPPENED!!
mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:15 AM   #7
seashellmama
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmouse37 View Post
This was brought up on the boards the other day and I am not sure how I would feel. I do not think I would like to wear the band all week long on a cruise. Many kids were complaining about wearing the thinner kids club bracelets so I don't know how they would feel about the bigger MB's.
While the paper band portion of the kids club band is thin, the device is decidedly not thin- it's like a bulky watch. My kids dealt OK with them (one took hers off the first night, but was able to sleep with it the other two nights), but didn't love them at all. The magic bands are soft and smooth- both of my kids have left theirs on almost continuously for the past five nights (I see that the same daughter who took the kids club band off once has her magic band and watch off right now while she sleeps), and they're easy to take off and put back on (but hard to remove accidentally). At the Great Wolf Lodge, they have paper RFID wristbands which are really convenient, too, but I especially like that I *can* take the MB off because sometimes I get sensory overload and need to change things up.

Anyway, you don't have to wear it if you don't want to- it could go in a pocket or looped around a lanyard on your neck, to give little difference from having a card.

All that to say, we are loving the Magic Bands here at WDW for the ease and convenience of not having to dig the card out, and especially for the kids to be able to keep theirs easily (including while swimming), and would have definitely enjoyed having them on the ship last week.
seashellmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:20 AM   #8
n8nally
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmouse37 View Post

MJ
We're back from our vacation just over a week now, and my DD wears her Magic Band as an ACCESSORY, lol! She had it on the other day for church and I asked her what she was doing with her MagicBand on (our annual passes are tied to them so I would rather not lose them since we will be using them often) and she replied simply: "I like it!"

n8nally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:22 AM   #9
n8nally
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by slzer0 View Post
I was just reading about MagicBands, and I was thinking... wouldnt it make sense for the refit to include the MB tech, if theyre planning on eventually moving the cruises to MB vs KTTW?

Although the lights are KTTW-based. But then they have to know people are working around that.

Thoughts?
Anyon
He cruising Magic when she's back at sea, maybe keep an eye out?
My guess is, they probably are!

n8nally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:32 AM   #10
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Quote:
I don't like either of them. I put my KTTW card in my pocket. I wouldn't want one of those bands in my pocket all day. I don't want a tan line from that when I get home and I wouldn't wear them in pictures. We always cut the kids' bands off when they weren't in the club for that reason as well.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:38 AM   #11
lindylou2_2002
Mouseketeer

I think it would be great, We found them very easy and comfortable to wear last month in wdw. even the girls who don't like wearing the Kids club bands as they irritate.
lindylou2_2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:43 AM   #12
aprilchem
DIS Veteran

I would love it. DH and I were surprised on our August Fantasy cruise that Disney doesn't use this technology; we went on a cruise for our honeymoon in 2002 and had RFID bands on Princess Cruise Line. For me the KTTW cards were a pain; I don't wear pants/shorts (only dresses and skirts) so I never had pockets, and I can't stand wearing things like that on my neck, so I ended up carrying a purse almost the whole cruise. It was also an issue when we were in the pools.
aprilchem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:09 AM   #13
Tower
DIS Veteran

I have not seen the magic bands, but Great Wolf Lodge has some nice wrist bands that you can charge to, and open your hotel doors with. Just a tap & go technology and very thin! DS6 finally took his off at the start of school after wearing it all summer long, since mid-June!

Past Disney Visits:
Mar 28-Apr 5, 2004 - Off Site & Magic Kingdom
Nov 10-16, 2006 - Off Site & Magic Kingdom
Nov 8-14, 2008 - WDW All Star Movies Resort
Dec 3-12, 2009 - CBR & Disney Magic Eastern Caribbean 7-Day Tour!
Feb 1-10, 2012 - WDW Port Orleans Riverside
Nov 10-17, 2012 - Disney Magic Western Caribbean to Grand Cayman & Cozumel!
Nov 8-15, 2013 - Off Site & Magic Kingdom
Tower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:46 PM   #14
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club ~ My driveway to WDW = 1 hour!

Location: Tampa, FL resident since 2007 (formally from Lorain & Columbus O-H-I-O)

They ARE testing Magic Bands on the cruise line 100%. We were told it would be 2-3 years before they make it onto the ships. They actually started testing them first at Castaway Cay.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

2015 - Wonder Mar 4n; Magic June 11n Norway/Iceland; Dream Oct 3n ~ 2014 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Magic - Oct SOUTHERN/B2B repo ~ 2013 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Dream Oct 4n; Oct Magic B2B ~
2012 Feb Dream & Fantasy x2 - June Eastern, Dec Western ~ 2011 Magic x2 - Jan 5n DD, Oct Western ~ 2010 Wonder Aug 5n DD ~ 2005 Fairytale Wedding @ GF Wedding Pavilion & 3n Wonder
Silverfox97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 03:12 PM   #15
gomagic
Go Bucks!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyNutMary View Post
Wouldn't you still need a KTTW card or something similar? Just thinking about times in port where "security" checked our ID's & KTTW cards before allowing us to proceed back to the ship.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: