Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2013, 10:32 AM   #1
hops&dreams
DIS Veteran

Considering changing from WL to POR - Good idea or bad idea?

We've stayed at WL for our trips in 2010 and 2012. Now, we're starting to think about our trip in 2014.

DH mentioned maybe staying at a lower priced hotel. He said "check it out, and if it saves us a grand, then maybe we should try it, but if it's only a few hundred more, then we'll just do WL again. I really like it there, but our hotel doesn't HAVE to be so nice."

So, I just did the cost comparison, and it WOULD save us about a grand. Actually, more than a grand. My concern is that we'll be disappointed with a moderate after staying in a deluxe. ???

Anyone have experience with this?

For background info - one of the biggest things I'm worried about is that everything at a moderate is outdoors. We go in the dead of winter - late Jan/early Feb - and if it's raining, cold, etc... At WL, once we get to our hotel, we don't have to worry about the weather outside. We can go to our room, freshen up, walk to the QS place and get something to eat, hang out in the lobby, get an adult beverage, do laundry, never even having to THINK about the outdoor weather. Because of the time of year we go and the early-ish park closings (typically AK till 5, HS till 8, EC till 9, MK till 9 or 10), we spend a lot of time enjoying our resort - at least a couple hours a night.

Do you think we'd be ok with the switch, or would it be a disappointing disaster?

Jan 2010 - Wilderness Lodge. OUR PERFECT TRIP!
Feb 2012 - Wilderness Lodge. Terrific escape from the SuperBowl!

hops&dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:00 AM   #2
dixiegirl
sorry but those dolls really creep me out!

Although POR is a beautiful resort and by far my very favorite I will say that you pretty much cannot do any of the things you mentioned at POR without having to walk from your room to the main house. And depending on where you room is located, it could be a good 5-10 min walk. Just something to keep in mind.

If you can handle that, it's a great choice.

POR Annual Oct trips 10/96-10/13
Next trip - 10/17/14-10/25/14 POR
dixiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-02-2013, 11:02 AM   #3
pepe of ohio
DIS Veteran

Location: Hubbard, Ohio, northeast Ohio 7 miles from Pa. border

No, you won't be disappointed... We're huge WL fans, over 12+ stays there...

Last 4 trips and about a year and a half ago, we decided to stay at POFQ...

A little background, when we stayed at WL, we also visited POFQ for their food court ( we liked their menu) and evening Scat Cat Club entertainer and then would boat from there to DTD, shop around and bus back to the WL..

We like to stay around 7-9 nights and WL was starting to get too pricey with the small AP discount being given...

POFQ, compact resort like the WL, better food and choices, great pool, sister resort with POR so swimming there isn't a problem, pleasant walk over and extra food choices there...queen beds...

Only thing missing is the boat to the MK and inside corridors... To us, not missed or needed for the money savings... Unless Disney raises their discounts, you won't see us back at the deluxe for awhile... 49 trips, 5 moderates and 44 deluxe...

Edited to say, POR is too huge for our taste, 4 bus stops, long long walk to main building if you're stuck across the river... POFQ, not a bad building anywhere, all within easy walking distance of everything..!

DIS Dads Club Member
pepe of ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 12:19 PM   #4
starousse
DIS Veteran

I'm in the same boat, love WL, but am contemplating whether or not to switch to POR. We go in May, so we'll see what the discounts are at the time. For $600 extra, it's definitely worth it. For over a grand, hmmm, I'm not sure.
starousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 01:21 PM   #5
Masonmj84
DIS Veteran

I'm also debating between these two resorts.

Three questions I have about POR:

1. How chaotic is Riverside Mill in the morning between 8-10 am?

2. How comfortable are the beds in the Royal Rooms (I've read mixed reviews on this -some say they're confortable others say they're hard as a rock and the pillows are flat)?

3. How far is the hike between the Royal Rooms and the Ol Man Isle swimming area?
Old 10-02-2013, 02:34 PM   #6
Wood Nymph
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hops&dreams View Post
We've stayed at WL for our trips in 2010 and 2012. Now, we're starting to think about our trip in 2014.

DH mentioned maybe staying at a lower priced hotel. He said "check it out, and if it saves us a grand, then maybe we should try it, but if it's only a few hundred more, then we'll just do WL again. I really like it there, but our hotel doesn't HAVE to be so nice."

So, I just did the cost comparison, and it WOULD save us about a grand. Actually, more than a grand. My concern is that we'll be disappointed with a moderate after staying in a deluxe. ???

For background info - one of the biggest things I'm worried about is that everything at a moderate is outdoors. We go in the dead of winter - late Jan/early Feb - and if it's raining, cold, etc... At WL, once we get to our hotel, we don't have to worry about the weather outside. We can go to our room, freshen up, walk to the QS place and get something to eat, hang out in the lobby, get an adult beverage, do laundry, never even having to THINK about the outdoor weather. Because of the time of year we go and the early-ish park closings (typically AK till 5, HS till 8, EC till 9, MK till 9 or 10), we spend a lot of time enjoying our resort - at least a couple hours a night.

Do you think we'd be ok with the switch, or would it be a disappointing disaster?
We stayed at the Poly in January during a rainy, cold period and it was absolutely miserable walking from the GH to Tahiti and back in that weather. I really hated the Poly after that trip, which is a shame.

We stayed at the WL last Feb and with the room discount of 25% being offered, our nightly rate was about $217 per night. My sister was at POFQ with only a 5 % discount and her room was about $50 per night cheaper. I thought it was worth the price to stay at the WL.

Next up: WL - Jan 24 to 29, 2015; YC - April 15 - 21, 2015
WL - Oct 22-27, 2014, YC - Sept 24-28, 2014; BC - March 19th to 25th, 2014, WL - Jan 23 - 27, 2014; WL - Nov 30 - Dec 5, 2013; WL - Feb 5 -11, 2013; BC - April 2011, BW - January 2009, BCV - 2007, 2005, 2003, Poly - 2002;
BC - 2001, 1998, 1994, 1992; YC - 1997; GF - 1989, 1988; Poly - 1987, 1986, 1985; CR - 1981, 1980; offsite - 1982, 1976, 1973

Last edited by Wood Nymph; 10-02-2013 at 02:40 PM.
Wood Nymph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:42 PM   #7
minniemous
Mouseketeer

Well, we are doing just the thing you are thinking about doing in 27 days and for the same reason to save some money. We have always stayed at deluxe Disney hotels and two years ago we almost did a moderate and then last second went to Wilderness lodge and stayed a shorter length of time. So we are saving a ton because we are also booking under a pin number for free dining. Last trio to Wilderness lodge we got up early left and got home late. We never used the pool. The last night I went down to the lobby sat in the comfy chairs and gazed at the vaulted ceiling because I said I need to spend some time in the actual hotel. I think I got 15 minutes and that was it. The boat to the magic kingdom will be missed as well as proximity to that area. That being said we are staying 10 nights as opposed to our last trip which was 6 nights. My friend who has no budget concerns and can stay where they want regularly stays at moderates as well as value hotels and they and the kids LOVE them. So, I say give POR a try...we are and it really looks beautiful and if you are anything like us most of the time will be spent in the parks anyhow. We are truly excited for this trip. I am more excited than when we went to the GF or any of the other deluxe resorts. Do not know why. I think it will be an fantastic trip and this will be the longest we have ever gone thanks to the money saved on the moderate. 10 nights...11 days..10 day park hopper..micky's not so scarry halloween party and Epcot food and wine festival..then Christmas decorations are up while we are there!!! All for less than 6 nights 7days at wilderness without the Micky;s not so scary halloween for 3!! Good luck I say go for POR!!!!
minniemous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:34 AM   #8
Sue M
DIS Veteran

I am never disappointed in POR. We like the mansion section and request a location close to Old Man island bridge. Central location. The AB rooms don't appeal to me, so we always request Mansions.
It's a beautiful resort.

We go in Jan/Feb too. It doesn't rain much at that time of year. Florida can get cold snaps but it's usually short lived. Most of the time it's in 70's during day, and a bit chilly at night. Most times a hoodie or sweater will do.

I find there's a lot to do at POR, with the boat to DTD, evening entertainment in the lounges of both POR and POFQ resorts, horse & carriage rides, and just strolling around the river is pleasant. Also like the hot tub in winter! We spend resort time too.

We go back and forth between deluxe stays and one of the POR resorts all the time. We thought about a WL stay this winter too, but prices have risen incredibly at that resort, 2 winters ago we stayed there booked woods view, for under $200/night. With a 40% AP discount. IMO the discounts have lowered, and room rate skyrocketing so I booked POFQ. More $ in my pocket
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:39 AM   #9
McKelly
DIS Veteran

I don't think you will be disappointed. They both have a boat to go somewhere, WL-MK, POR - DD. IMHO, POR's food court is much better, larger and more offerings. I think the bayou side decor is similar to the WL, both dark woods. The room size doesn't seem that much different, the way they are set up. If it was Xmas, I would say WL definitely, but otherwise I would save the money, or at least allocate that money to other things, Wild Africa Trek, Circque, more table service, mouseboats, etc. Good Luck deciding!
Old 10-03-2013, 07:55 AM   #10
mevelandry
DIS Veteran

I have not tried WL yet but i've been to AKL and POlynesian, I've been to POFQ as well, I don't see a big difference betweem Deluxe and Moderate. At POFQ a boat leads to to Downtown Disney instead and there is a beautiful river. Even in the last building, the lobby & the pool are less than a 5 minutes walk.

The rooms are notthat different andwe actually tought the bedswere very comfortable.
mevelandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:09 PM   #11
midge3426
Mouseketeer

We absolutely adore The Wilderness Lodge, but this year we stayed at POR. We had five people in our party (three of whom were teenagers) so we had to stay in the Alligator Bayou rooms. We have stayed at POR in the late 1990s three times. The resort looks wonderful and is themed and landscaped very well. The Alligator Bayou rooms have been redecorated and look a lot better than they did in the nineties. I don't really care for the Alligator Bayou rooms décor, but it does go with the theme of the resort. The resort looks wonderful, but the service is absolutely horrendous.

I do not know if Mousekeeping was just bad or Disney has cut jobs so much that the staff are spread so thin that they cannot properly do their jobs. When we finally reached our room, after a seven hour wait, our room still had garbage from the previous occupant on the floor around the bed and in the corners. The towel situation is really shabby. I had to continuously ask for more towels. Four bath towels, four wash cloths, and two hand towels are not enough for five people. We were in the resort for seven days and our sheets never got changed. Isn't Disney suppose to change out the sheets on the fourth day. The reason I know that my sheets were never changed is because my sheet had a stain on it and it stayed the entire week. The daily room clean up was adequate--------just barely.

The ice machine in building 18 is horrible. I don't know if it is the Florida water or the ice machine needs a good cleaning, but the ice stank and tasted bad. You could actually smell the ice when you passed the ice bucket.

Now on the subject of the Food Court. Argh.................. We drove overnight to DW and we were very tired. The teenagers immediately went to the park. We decided that we would eat breakfast while waiting for our room. We went to the food court and there was massive pandemonium. The food area and the beverage station were a beehive of activity. I did not even want to walk into the food area. I saw a couple of people drop their trays because it was so bad in there. We then decided that we would eat at Boatwrights, but it is no longer open for breakfast. We then walked to POFQ. Everything was fine at that location.

The refillable mug situation: we gave up on getting refills. It was difficult just to get the mug. There were not enough cashiers so there was always a line in the food court. We eventually got out mugs and then proceeded to get our drinks. Well lit was difficult to get to the beverage bar because it is blocked on one side and you have to enter from the side. There were constantly people going in and out and it was just plain difficult. When I finally got up the drinks, the ice dispenser would only give me one or two cubs. After a couple of days, we gave up on that and went elsewhere to get our beverages.

The bus service was really, really slow. You will wait forever and it takes forever to get to your destination. By Wednesday, we used our car every day.

In short, the customer service at the resort is really bad. That is what I pay the extra money for at Disney. If I have to stay at POR again, I will just stay off site and get a better room.

Here are a few pics:

PORT ORLEANS RIVERSIDE by midge3426, on Flickr

ALLIGATOR BAYOU ROOM by midge3426, on Flickr

ALLIGATOR BAYOU SINK AREA by midge3426, on Flickr
midge3426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:20 PM   #12
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hops&dreams View Post

We've only stayed at one mod (CBR) and while we loved it, once we stayed at a deluxe, we haven't stayed anything else since. We've had 2 great stays at the WL and while POR looks beautiful, I know I would miss being at a deluxe. I know $1,000 is a good savings, but if it were me and the extra cost was doable, I would go with the WL. Good luck.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: