Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2014, 03:21 PM   #691
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post
woohooo! off again to the next adventure
YES! But it meant that we would have to get off at the end of this one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGICFOR2 View Post
Lots of exciting news, Karin! I'm glad you finally got the Fed Ex sorted out, and Tom has his stock. We gave one to Ryan in a frame when he graduated from college.

Yay for your Mickey Mail!

So cool that you got to just relax and stroll around like you owned the ship on departure day!
Thanks, Tammie! It was nice to see some of our trip "parts" falling into place. AND getting FedEx sorted out.
The certificate looks really nice and since they stopped doing this kind of certificate it was nice to "snatch" one while they lasted.

Having the ship to yourself is one of the best parts of going back to back - well apart from the fact that you get to go on another cruise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
Karin, I have said this before but every single time I look at your cruise pictures, it makes me want to give a Disney cruise another chance. You always seem to enjoy yourselves and take advantage of everything the ship has to offer.
You really should give them another chance! They do an awesome job.

But to be honest, had you asked me if I wanted to do more than one cruise 5 1/2 years ago I would never have thought that we are going on cruise no 13 in 25 days.
They had me when they sounded the Mickey Whistle for the first time.
TR Summer 2014: We're out of it! A MAGICal Med adventure TR 2013: Get off the ship .....
Visit my other TRs/dining reviews here:

dizneeat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:43 PM   #692
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

Day 11, August 17

Let’s try this again – A Fantasy cruise take 2 - Part 4

After we had left the port we walked around a bit

and finally grabbed a seat in Currents

after picking up a drink of the day, the

Ooh La La.
It was nice to enjoy the sun, sip the drink and have nothing else to do than enjoy the day.

When the drink was finished we decided to head back to our stateroom, but not without picking up some goodies at the counter service.
Tom was craving a

Hot Dog and that is what he got, with a side of fries. I didn’t feel like something hot, so I just got some

grapes. We transported our food back to our stateroom, grabbed a drink out of the fridge and sat out on the veranda enjoying our snack. And while half of the ship was having dinner and the other half was visiting tonight’s show, we grabbed our FE list and headed out to deliver gifts.
We returned to our stateroom about an hour later and a half later and after a short browse through the shops, even though there was nothing we needed to buy at the moment.
There was just enough time to freshen up again and get changed and then we headed to the Royal Court for dinner. Since we had the same table and already knew most of the servers, we had no problem getting to our table. Our servers were right there to greet us and without even having to order them, two Diet Cokes magically appeared. He also placed a small plate of the

Olive Spread and a “carriage” basket full of fresh, slightly warm

Herb Brioche on our table and we started munching right away. Our server came to take our order and soon after we were served our starters, the

Pomegranate Glazed Duck Breast with Gerwurztraminer Gelee and Pomegranate Glaze for Tom and the

Double Baked Spinach and Cheese Souffle, coated with a three-cheese cream for me. They were both really nice and we enjoyed every last bite.
We were on a cruise, so we also ordered some soup,

The Comtesse du Barry's Soup, a rich velvety cauliflower cream, topped with salmon caviar croutons. And while the soup was really good it was a mistake as once we had finished the soup we were getting full already. We still had our main courses to come and it did not take long for them to make an appearance. Tom had ordered the

Double Cut Rack of Lamb with a Dijon Crust with fine green beans, gratin potatoes and rosemary jus and I had ordered the

Aged Angus Grilled Beef Tenderloin topped with garlic shrimp, with sauteed snow peas and marquis potatoes with a cognac reduction. We took our sweet time enjoying our mains, but once we had finished them there was no way to fit in dessert as well. But we had had an idea. Why not order a sampler dessert platter and take it with us? We asked our server if that was possible and he was just happy to oblige. So a few minutes later we were served a dessert sampler on a plate and covered with a lid, complete with napkin and cutlery. We said goodbye to our servers and walked out of the restaurant by the side entrance and over to the back elevator. It didn’t take us long and we were back on deck 8 and luckily ran right into Raj, the happy recipient of the dessert platter. He was so surprised when we handed the plate to him and told him that we had picked it up just for him.
Back in our stateroom we found a giant stingray, sporting my sunglasses and trying to feed on the chocolates on the bed.

We changed into more comfortable clothes and grabbed a drink out of the fridge and sat out on the veranda watching the waves until we were tired enough to go to bed.

To be continued ............
TR Summer 2014: We're out of it! A MAGICal Med adventure TR 2013: Get off the ship .....

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-21-2014, 06:37 PM   #695
MEK
DIS Veteran

Sounds like a perfect afternoon and evening. Drink, verandah, dinner, verandah. Perfection!

Dinner does look delish!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:29 PM   #696
Leshaface
DIS Veteran

Feels like Deja Vu all over again! Such a nice relaxing day to your first day of your second cruise. I would love to do a B2B. By the end of the second cruise, were you ready to get off?

Looking back, I wish I would have asked for china while at the cafes. Seems so much nicer and fancy like that instead of the to-go cups. Good thinking!

That's so nice of you guys to give your dessert platter to Raj!

DLR: Yearly trips from 1991-2006, AP holder Jan 06 (monthly trips thru May 2008), Nov 08 DLH-Dreams, Jan 09 GCH, June 09 DLH-Magic, June 09 Desert Inn, Oct 09 Tropicana, Mar 10 GCH, May 10 Castle Inn, Nov 10 GCH, Mar 11 DLH, Nov 11 GCH, Mar 12 PPH, Apr 12 PPH, July 12 PPH, Nov 12 DLH, May 13 GCH, July 14 VGC, Oct 14 CCI
WDW : June 2-8, 2008 - Pop Century, January 20-28, 2010 - CSR, Dec 8-15, 2012 AKV/BWV, Oct 5-11, 2013 SSR/AKV/BLT
DCL: Dream June 2011, Wonder Dec 2011

Food and Wine? Sounds Divine! Oct 2013 TR
Our First WDW Trip as Parents - December 2012
Mexican Riviera Cruise with WONDERful Souvenir in the Works!Dream CAME True! June 21-26, 2011 TR
Food, Fun, and Frivolity: 8 Funtabulous days
Ugh, what were we thinking?! 9 days Deluxe Dining, The Crow's fly to Disneyworld! Jan 20-28, 2010 Pre-TR, DLR - The Proposal, Bouncers, and a Celebrity! June 3-6
Leshaface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:46 AM   #697
ShellB8585
Mouseketeer

Hi Karin and Tom!

It's been a particularly quiet day at work so i have been drinking coffee and reading your TR from start to finish. One of the best i have read and looks like you had a great time, can't wait to see more.

Thank you for sharing

ETA - I have a real hankering for Eggs Benedict now. I wonder why?
Southern Caribbean ~ Disney Wonder ~ January 2016

1998 - 2012 ~ 9 visits to WDW
January 2010 ~ Honeymoon Disneyland
2011 - 2012 ~ 2 visits to DLP

7 Night Eastern Caribbean ~ Disney Magic ~ 14 Jan 2012
4 Night Mediterranean ~ Disney Magic ~ 9 July 2013

Shelley DH Carl

Last edited by ShellB8585; 01-22-2014 at 11:27 AM.
ShellB8585 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:59 AM   #698
basketlacey
DIS Veteran

Karin - I love to read about your and Tom's adventures! I read through most of this report last night (at least from where I left off the last time!)

We leave for our first Disney Cruise two weeks from tomorrow I have a question for you about tips. I see you mention that you leave tips at the end of many of your meals. Can you help me understand that? Is it customary to tip and all sit down meals except for your main assigned dinner? And if so, how to you calculate what is appropriate (since I am assuming there is no charge for the food). Thanks for your help! I want to make sure we treat all of our CMs fairly!

]Disney trips:6/2003: ASMo;11/2005: Offsite;10/2009: Offsite;11/2010: POR;11/2011 - AKL;10/2012 - BC; 10/2013 - WL/BWI; 2/2014 - FWC/Disney Cruise - Magic/CR; 4/2014 - CBR; 7/2014 Dolphin/OKW
basketlacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:28 PM   #699
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Quote:
Originally Posted by basketlacey View Post
Karin - I love to read about your and Tom's adventures! I read through most of this report last night (at least from where I left off the last time!)

We leave for our first Disney Cruise two weeks from tomorrow I have a question for you about tips. I see you mention that you leave tips at the end of many of your meals. Can you help me understand that? Is it customary to tip and all sit down meals except for your main assigned dinner? And if so, how to you calculate what is appropriate (since I am assuming there is no charge for the food). Thanks for your help! I want to make sure we treat all of our CMs fairly!
I can help you...no it's not normal, Tom and Karin are just extra generous...VERY generous. Usually most people do the normal tip of $12 per person per day that is added to you bill and then when you give those envelopes to the crew on the last night you can add more if you like. But if you want to give extra at any time, I am sure they will not complain. Also little gifts like chocolates are appreciated. I have often left our stateroom host a little extra candy on the last night.
Now for room service you should tip. Most people give a couple of bucks each time they have something brought.
jenseib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:05 AM   #700
scottny
You better have crackers
I heard of light reading, never wet reading
I still won't go in the ocean because of

The food looked so good.
Cute backpack.
Those drinks look so good.
LOL. I thought the appetizers were the main course. They looked good and so did the soup.
Seems like a great start to the next chapter of the cruising.
Great updates and pics.
scottny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:43 PM   #701
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda67 View Post
What a lovely relaxing day Karin
It definitely was!
And it was so exciting too, as we headed into a brand new itinerary!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post
Dinner looks great!!!
It was, Jen, it was!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Sounds like a perfect afternoon and evening. Drink, verandah, dinner, verandah. Perfection!

Dinner does look delish!
Yes, we put that veranda to good use!
That's the beauty of longer cruises, you have time to kick back and enjoy your surrounding and not have to rush from event to event.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshaface View Post
Feels like Deja Vu all over again! Such a nice relaxing day to your first day of your second cruise. I would love to do a B2B. By the end of the second cruise, were you ready to get off?

It definitely does feel like Deja Vu! But it was so nice to be able to start all over again and meet some great new friends.
Were we ready to get off? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Looking back, I wish I would have asked for china while at the cafes. Seems so much nicer and fancy like that instead of the to-go cups. Good thinking!

Ah, the coffee in china cups! Coming from a country that prides itself in its coffee culture, coffee in to go cups gives me goosebumps.
Here, if you go to a "Kaffeehaus" (coffee shop) you will drink your favourite coffee with a glass of water, read the newspaper and people watch, national pastime. No refills on the coffee though.

That's so nice of you guys to give your dessert platter to Raj!
He had such a sweet tooth (guess he shared it with others) and why not give him an extra treat.

Old 01-23-2014, 04:04 PM   #702
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellB8585 View Post
Hi Karin and Tom!

It's been a particularly quiet day at work so i have been drinking coffee and reading your TR from start to finish. One of the best i have read and looks like you had a great time, can't wait to see more.

Thank you for sharing

ETA - I have a real hankering for Eggs Benedict now. I wonder why?
Thanks for joining in and all your praise. I am trying my best given that English is not my first language.

You are craving Eggs Benedict??????? Hm, I wonder why that could be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by basketlacey View Post

Great that you found the time to catch up!

Jen is right, you do not HAVE TO tip extra at any other sit down meals. BUT ............
When we went back to back a few times on the Dream we got to know our servers very well and were let in on a few ins and outs. I will not repeat them all, but I can tell you that those servers work really hard and Disney pays them $50 a week!!! The rest they make in tips.
These servers work 16 hour days and go above and beyond for you. Tom and I both have worked in tipped jobs (Tom still does, here mailmen get tips at Christmas and I worked in one of Austria's most famous hotels) and we believe that these servers who are usually not our servers deserve a little extra as well. So if we receive good service we tip the dining room server and assistant server a few extra bucks, every time we eat at a TS restaurant. You do not need to do that, but to see their eyes light up makes it so worth wile .... and you will be greeted a lot more as they DO remember you very well, even a year or so later!
Oh, and as Jen mentioned, you can top up the tip for your server team - we do that too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottny View Post
The food looked so good.
Cute backpack.
Those drinks look so good.
LOL. I thought the appetizers were the main course. They looked good and so did the soup.
Seems like a great start to the next chapter of the cruising.
Great updates and pics.
There is FAR too much yummy food on those ships, and someone has to take it upon themselves to help them not to let it go to waste.

It was such a great start to our second cruise, which was really great as this time we made some really great friends.

Old 01-23-2014, 05:03 PM   #703
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

Day 12, August 18

Day at sea means lots of food - Part 1

We got up shortly after 7am, and after getting ready we spent a little time out on the veranda.
It was very peaceful to sit out there and watch the waves. Around 8.30 we headed downstairs to have breakfast at the Royal Court again. We were quickly seated and the server was right on hand to take our drinks orders and offer some breakfast pastries. Drinks were ordered, but we both passed on the pastries. It didn’t take long and our drinks and first courses were served. As always Tom had chosen the

Swiss Bircher Muesli, Muesli with raisins, shredded apples and yogurt and I got the

Mornin' Tug Boat, a fresh blend of strawberries, bananas, almonds, raisin granola and low-fat yogurt. Both were a lot better than the week before and we enjoyed them a lot. And as soon as we had cleared our bowls, our mains were served. This time I had ordered another favourite of mine, the

French Toast and Pineapple Stack, layers of French toast and grilled pineapple, topped with strawberry coulis, maple glaze and fruit salad. Very yummy! Tom had ordered the

Express, scrambled eggs, grilled ham, bacon, sausage. and hash browns, which he had asked to be exchanged for white toast. Needless to say that we truly loved our breakfast. Once we had finished it, we tipped the servers and before we headed back to our stateroom we took another stroll through the shops and I finally picked up some more items for my Chamilia bracelet.
Happy, well at least I was happy we got back to our stateroom to find Raj outside. He had already been able to clean up our stateroom and thanked us for the sweets we had left for him on the bed. We rested for a while, sat out on the veranda for a while and then finally got changed to walk down to the Tube to go to the Captain’s reception, held for Gold and Platinum Castaway Cay members.
We got our stickers and went inside, found a nice table at one side and were greated by one of the Cast Members we knew from the Tequila tasting a few days before.

She headed over to greet us with a hug and to then serve us some snacks to go with our Champagne. I had some

grapes and a peace of pineapple, a prociutto and asperagus canapé and a brie one. Tom got

some pieces of melon and the same two canapés. We sat and enjoyed our nibbles,

watched the room fill up and then noticed two faces we knew from a previous cruise.
Leslie and her mother Sandy had just sat down and started to nibble on their snacks, but once they had finished them they came over to sit with us. Quite a few officers came by and it was nice to have a native speaker sitting at the table as well.
And during the breaks, when we there were no officers nearby, we had a lot to catch up on and did so, even while trying to listen to Commodore Tom giving his little speech.

We all enjoyed the

cookies we were served while listening and time seemed to fly by and the meet and greet was over.
On our way out Leslie wanted to have a word with the cruise director and while we were all standing there chatting with him, someone tapped me on the shoulder and asked if I was Karin. And so we met some of the nicest cruise buddies.
Laura, her husband Richard and their two daughters were from Cornwall and we had been chatting a lot before the cruise. They even were on the same deck as we were and it was so nice to finally meet them in person. Leslie and her mother said their goodbyes, but the rest of us stayed behind chatting. It was fun to finally see one of the cast members come by handing out Mickey rice crispy treats and since we were the last guests in the room they urged us to take more than one. So Tom and I picked up two each and Laura and her family did the same.
But the server still offered more and more and I guess the girls each picked up about 5 or 6 each. We realized that they wanted to clean the area and get it ready for other events so we finally made our way back to our staterooms. And since we were on the same floor we made a pit stop in their stateroom as Laura had gotten us some presents for organizing the Fish Extender. It was past midday when we finally said our goodbyes and headed back to our stateroom.

To be continued ............

Old 01-24-2014, 03:34 PM   #704
michelle9343
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizneeat View Post
Okay, sticking with the news theme .........

Our cruise docs came today! Makes it feel so much closer

AND

we are under 1 month from our vacation. 30 more days and we'll be on the way to the US again.
I agree it is so EXCITING when the Documents come in
Disney Dream Aug 24th 2012
michelle9343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 05:05 PM   #705
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas

Your breakfast looks yummy Karin and the Castaway Club reception looks like it was a lot of fun. Especially as you got to meet your cruise buddies
Linda67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: