Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2013, 05:57 PM   #481
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizneeat View Post
Right behind the market was a walkway up to Fort Louis and we decided to hike up and enjoy the view from up there.
That view was simply stunning!!

Quote:
and the remnants of the Fort,
I am fascinated by stuff like this. Dd and her dh have been exploring local abandoned towns.... remnants of what once was. Cemeteries and mine shafts (although they can't go into the old mines) Amazing!

Quote:
We still had about half an hour to spare when we started our walk down again and quickly found ourselves back near the harbour.
Having miscalculated the small bills we would need for tips and being thirsty we decided to head to the Mall across the street to get something to drink and buy a few small items to get some small bills. The Mall was beautiful
It is so bright! very beautiful!

Quote:
Yeah, small bills filled my purse again. About 5 minutes before we were supposed to be at the bus again we headed over and since it was only a one minute walk we made it there in time easily.
Glad you made it there on time.

Quote:

Our driver told us that we would now go back to the Dutch side and that he would show us some of the areas that were good for shopping and that people who wanted to, could get off the bus there and make their way back to the ship on their own.
We had been thinking about going back to the ship and then walking back to Philipsburg, but that way it was much easier. So once we had made it to the center of town, we got off the bus, tipped the driver and walked through the narrow streets, peeking into a few shops.
We then made our way over to the beach promenade
It looks like such a relaxing place to visit.

Quote:

and walked along the it. By that time it was way past noon, so we decided to get some lunch.
We looked into some of the open air restaurant, but we both did not feel like eating in the heat, so when we saw the Hard Rock Café,
which offered air conditioning, we knew we were in the right place. We headed up the stairs and at the check in desk were asked if we wanted to sit inside or outside. “Inside please”.
They led us to a nice table by the window
Inside, but buy the window seems like it would be the perfect table!!!

Quote:

I had set my mind on the

Raspberry Lemonade, a classic with a twist, superior rum, raspberries, raspberry syrup and fresh, made from scratch lemonade. Our server, who had taken our order talked us into getting their special, which meant that we would get a free refill and a souvenir glass if we ordered the slightly more expensive special. Oh well, we were tired and hot, so why not.
Our drinks were delicious, so we sat and sipped while waiting for our lunch. I had ordered the
That sounds like something I would totally enjoy! YUM!

Quote:

We stopped into a few shops and bought a lovely hand painted bottle of rum and some beers for Tom to try. We stopped at the Del Sol store and needless to say we bought a T-shirt or two. Soon we had made it back to where the Hard Rock Café was.
Nice shopping trip.

Quote:

And after a short deliberation we decided not to walk back to the ship, but use the water taxi that was offered there.
It sounds like it had been quite a warm day. I think I wouldn't have wanted to walk back either.

Quote:
So we walked over and there was a boat ready to leave, but they waited and made room for us and another family who was behind us. The ship was FULL, but we did find a seat and were even able to purchase a bottle of icy cold water.
glad you made it to the boat!!!
Quote:

he sparkling wine we had received from DCL a try. We had already received a lot of sweets and so we nibbled on the sweets and enjoyed our drinks. And while we were still sitting out on the veranda there was a knock at the door and a cast member brought a model of the cabana we had booked at Castaway Cay and our wristbands.
What a nice way to look forward to something...even if it was a tad early in the trip to receive it. Course... maybe that even made it better.

Quote:

There was no show that night as it was Pirate Night and at around 6pm we got ready to go to Palo for dinner. At 6.15 we walked up to the restaurant and were asked to take a seat inside Meridian until our table was ready. It didn’t take very long and we were taken to our table and greeted by our server, Ophelie from France.
Dinner looked amazing! And how cool to be treated to it since you are
Platinum members.
Quote:

We changed into some more casual clothes and rested in the stateroom for a while, watching a movie, having some beer and sparkling wine and sitting out on the veranda in the dark.
It seemed like a very short time until it was time to head up to deck 12 again to view the fireworks.
We loved the Pirate show on the Wonder, but are not impressed with the one on the Dream and Fantasy, so we just watch the fireworks. We found a nice spot to stand, leaning against the railing and waited. The fireworks went off only about 5 minutes late and were beautiful as always.
I had talked Tom into not bringing a camera and enjoying them for a change. Once the fireworks were over we followed the masses down, then made a beeline for Cabanas and picked up a few late night snacks from the buffet. Tom filled his plate with
The little breads look yummy... the giant turkey leg a little scary. I know that in WDW and DLR for that matter, turkey legs are favorites of many. They just seem so big to me... so a little scary.

GREAT UPDATES!!! I loved all the pictures!!!
annmarieda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 09:08 PM   #482
RGirl
DIS Veteran

Yikes! I am having a hard time keeping up with everything lately.

Your upcoming vacation plans sound great! Will you be doing mini-TRs???

Your Palo meal looked really great - I have to say, I was less of a Palo fan this trip. After Remy, it just didn't seem as special.

Looks like they had pretty good post-fireworks snacks!

Isn't it amazing how special it feels to just sit on that verandah, sip a tasty beverage, and just do nothing? Ugh - I want to be doing that now!
RGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-23-2013, 04:05 AM   #483
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by annmarieda View Post
That view was simply stunning!!

We were so happy we had decided to walk up there. It really paid off, the view was wonderful.

It looks like such a relaxing place to visit.

We really enjoyed exploring Philipsburg. But then all of Sint Maarten is a beautiful place.

Inside, but buy the window seems like it would be the perfect table!!!

We really lucked out with the table at the Hard Rock - ACing AND a great view. You cannot ask for more, can you?

It sounds like it had been quite a warm day. I think I wouldn't have wanted to walk back either.

It was HOT that day and it is quite a hike over to the harbour, so taking the boat was the best solution!

What a nice way to look forward to something...even if it was a tad early in the trip to receive it. Course... maybe that even made it better.

We love the paper Cabana they give you. It is such a sweet reminder of what is to come.

Dinner looked amazing! And how cool to be treated to it since you are
Platinum members.

It makes you feel more special once they roll out a few more perks, even though considered what you pay for the cruise they should treat everyone to a meal there.

The little breads look yummy... the giant turkey leg a little scary. I know that in WDW and DLR for that matter, turkey legs are favorites of many. They just seem so big to me... so a little scary.

The Pirate buffet is pretty good. Unfortunately if you go to the MDR and have a regular dinner you are far too full for it.
We always take something back to our room, where we have more time to finish off things. Thankfully there is a fridge as well, as sometimes the eyes are bigger than the stomach.
That turkey leg is enormous! I need to go find the photo of the one they sell in DLRP. It is TINY!!!

GREAT UPDATES!!! I loved all the pictures!!!
I am glad you like them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGirl View Post
Yikes! I am having a hard time keeping up with everything lately.

Your upcoming vacation plans sound great! Will you be doing mini-TRs???

Your Palo meal looked really great - I have to say, I was less of a Palo fan this trip. After Remy, it just didn't seem as special.

Looks like they had pretty good post-fireworks snacks!

Isn't it amazing how special it feels to just sit on that verandah, sip a tasty beverage, and just do nothing? Ugh - I want to be doing that now!
Don't worry, I feel like all I do is playing catch up myself.

I guess I will sneak in a mini trip report for our DLRP trip and a real one for the cruise and WDW trip in February. I do have some news to share about it as well.

We just love the brunch at Palo - so many yummy choices and I guess we just had too much fun with Ophelie as well.
And we "had to" do dinner, as I wasn't sure that the free meal at Palo was for brunch as well.
We also wanted to skip the pirate menu in the MDR - not a huge fan of it.

We just LOVE having that veranda. And even more now that they ban smoking on the verandas.
It is so nice and peaceful to sit out there, especially early morning or at night and watch the waves.
TR Summer 2014: We're out of it! A MAGICal Med adventure TR 2013: Get off the ship .....
Visit my other TRs/dining reviews here:

dizneeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 08:06 AM   #484
MEK
DIS Veteran

Had to get a yummy food fix this morning and you did not fail to deliver. WOW. Nice!

And great view as the ship was pulling away from port!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 03:16 PM   #485
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Had to get a yummy food fix this morning and you did not fail to deliver. WOW. Nice!

And great view as the ship was pulling away from port!
I feel honoured you chose my report to get your food fix.

It was a beautiful day and we enjoyed it, up to the very last minute.
TR Summer 2014: We're out of it! A MAGICal Med adventure TR 2013: Get off the ship .....

Old 11-23-2013, 07:26 PM   #486
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

Busy weekend working everyday till I go to Disney too !! Gotta earn those Disney Bucks
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop
englishrose47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 12:36 AM   #487
cindy1098
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by basketlacey View Post
Karin - I love reading your trip reports. We are doing our first Disney cruise in Feb. I can't wait!
Hey! I messaged you back on our meet thread...did you see it? Can't wait for February!
cindy1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 01:32 AM   #488
scottny
You better have crackers
I heard of light reading, never wet reading
I still won't go in the ocean because of

Great updates and pics.
scottny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 03:45 AM   #489
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishrose47 View Post
Busy weekend working everyday till I go to Disney too !! Gotta earn those Disney Bucks
You are so close to your trip, Rosie! I cannot wait for THAT trip report!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottny View Post
Great updates and pics.
Thank you! I wish I had a little more time to update more often.

Old 11-26-2013, 04:38 AM   #490
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

Day 8, August 14

Banana Daiquiri saves the day! - Part 1

And even though we had gone to bed fairly late we got up early that day. So, around 6.30am, after having had a quick shower we headed up to Satellite falls and the bow of the ship to see the Disney Fantasy make her way into St. Thomas.

We were within the first few people up there, but while we enjoyed the view, more and more guests arrived to watch. When we had arrived it had still been a bit overcast, but soon the blue skies appeared and we were in for a beautiful day. We stayed for about 45 minutes until the Fantasy had reached her position in the harbour,

then thought about where to have breakfast and since we were already walking through Cabanas to get to the aft elevator, we decided to try breakfast there.
So we picked up a plate, got in line and filled our plates with yummy breakfast items. I had some

breakfast potoatoes, a grilled tomato, some bacon, an Egg Benedict and a pancake with strawberries in syrup and some whipped cream. Tom had picked

the same things plus a breakfast burrito and some toast. The tables inside were either taken or dirty, so we headed outside and found a larger unoccupied table, where I sat down and took some pictures of the food while Tom went to get some juice for me and some coffee for himself. And while the food was really nice, there was just the same issue I always have with buffet food, it is just luke warm once you start eating.
And while we were eating our breakfast and enjoying the view,

who should we see having their breakfast a little further away? Yes, Jean and Paul and they seemed to be chatting with the people at the table next to them and having a lot of fun. They left their table right around the time we left ours, but they went in the other direction. And after a short pit stop to pick up our IDs and bags for the day we were on our way to the D-Lounge to sign in for our tour.

To be continued ............

Old 11-26-2013, 07:39 AM   #491
MAGICFOR2
DIS Veteran

Hi Karin! Great pics of your port entry! I can't wait to see what you did on your tour!
MAGICFOR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 09:17 PM   #492
RGirl
DIS Veteran

Karin, I just love your early-morning pics! They are beautiful.

We were really impressed with Cabanas - such great variety there at both breakfast and lunch. I prefer a table-service experience, but Willow is a HUGE fan of breakfast buffets.
RGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 10:32 PM   #493
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Beautiful pictures as you pulled into Port in St. Thomas, Karin.

With the holiday the day after tomorrow and the kids coming for the weekend and someone I know is going to Disney on Tuesday, I may not be here for awhile. I promise to get caught up again when I can.
Old 11-27-2013, 05:44 AM   #494
MEK
DIS Veteran

Pulling into St Thomas looks so beautiful. What a great way to start the day (and that fantastic breakfast didn't hurt either).

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 04:34 PM   #495
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGICFOR2 View Post
Hi Karin! Great pics of your port entry! I can't wait to see what you did on your tour!
We really enjoyed our ports of call. And to see the ship being manouvred into port was awesome.
The tour was fun - even more after ONE special drink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGirl View Post
Karin, I just love your early-morning pics! They are beautiful.

We were really impressed with Cabanas - such great variety there at both breakfast and lunch. I prefer a table-service experience, but Willow is a HUGE fan of breakfast buffets.
Thank you. We really thought the view was well worth getting up early.

Tom and I are not huge fans of buffets. I just love being served. But for a change it was nice to try it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
Beautiful pictures as you pulled into Port in St. Thomas, Karin.

With the holiday the day after tomorrow and the kids coming for the weekend and someone I know is going to Disney on Tuesday, I may not be here for awhile. I promise to get caught up again when I can.
Thank you, Kathy!

I hope your Thanksgiving will be a very memorable one, especially with the new additions to your family (DIL and furbabies).
And I hope you are going to have the most wonderful trip to WDW with Mark, Mary and the girls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Pulling into St Thomas looks so beautiful. What a great way to start the day (and that fantastic breakfast didn't hurt either).
We just loved these islands. They were beautiful and it was so nice to watch the ship pulling into port.
Breakfast wasn't shabby either.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: