Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2013, 02:23 PM   #451
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGICFOR2 View Post
Hi Karin. How is your arm feeling? I know how painful that is - I burned my hand on steam from the teapot when the lid fell off while I was pouring about a month ago - the pain was excruciating for about 24 hours. I hope yours healed up quickly.

It is MUCH, much better now! It hurt a lot right after I did it, but was already better the next day.
Oh, burning yourself on steam is horrible.

I'm glad you survived your sleepover! How cool that you found a cruise date for Tom's birthday! We were also considering cruising Summer 2015, but now we realized Jim's cousin who is like our niece in California will be graduating from college in San Fran, so our plans are changing. It will probably be DLR instead!

As much fun as the school sleepover is, it is no fun for the teachers to sleep on the floor or in my case on a seating area.
I don't know HOW I came up with the birthday cruise, but it fits so nicely. We always wanted to sail into Key West and to sail out on his actual birthday is just the icing on the cake.
And even though you might not be cruising in 2015, your plans sound great!

Yikes on the MDE fiasco! I am thinking it is going to be quite a problem for awhile. I am actually happy we took our trip before the bands kicked in, and I don't think we'll be back until some of the bugs are worked out.

I really need to call about the MDE again, but I am so not in the mood for an hour long long distance call.
We didn't have the bands in the summer and I was quite excited to be able to try them in February - not knowing what I got myself into.

Wow! I can't believe that CM was so rude! How would you know they were behind schedule?

I am not easily speechless, but she was so snappy I didn't even know what to respond. I was pretty mean though and did not give the onboard port adventures crew the all so important "excellent" in the survey.

You got some great view pics in St. Maarten! It looked like Ft St Louis was worth the hike to see. What did you think of the shopping in Phillipsburg? My excitement to shop in an "exotic" location as quickly dampened by the pushy salespeople everywhere we went.

We had no problem with shopping in Phillipsburg. We did not shop at the markets though.
The shops we went to were all nice and no one was pushy at all. The same can NOT be said for the Western ports. I hated being pulled into shops in Mexico.

Your hard rock lunch looks delicious - Nice view to enjoy it from, also!
Lunch was absolutely delicious! And as unusual as my salad sounded, it was a perfect combination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGirl View Post
Hi Karin!

I am really enjoying reading about your excursion and time off the ship.

And I was just looking at your signature and noticed that you have a trip coming up very soon and another shortly after that!
I am glad you are enjoying our trip as well. Maybe we can talk you into an Eastern itinerary as well.

Yes, we indeed have two trips coming up soon. The first one is our short trip to DLRP, where we will stay at the Hotel New York at the entrance of the Disney Village. 4 days of Disney holiday fun!
The other trip is our annual winter getaway. 1 night at VGF, a 4 night on the Dream and 2 nights at OKW. It cannot come soon enough.
TR Summer 2014: We're out of it! A MAGICal Med adventure TR 2013: Get off the ship .....
Visit my other TRs/dining reviews here:

dizneeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 07:39 PM   #452
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

St. Thomas looks so pretty. I really hope to get there someday. I know I would go picture crazy. I always love seeing pictures of forts!
jenseib is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-17-2013, 09:30 PM   #453
Wicket's Mom
DIS Veteran

Our first cruise was to St Thomas & St Maartin. We spent the day in Phillpsburg shopping. On St Thomas we went over to St John to the underwater national park. The water at the beach was so clear, loved. St Thomas not so much. We were warned to hide our money as the crime rates were high.

I know what you mean about the merchants on the western Carribean, they drag one back to their shops & it's hard to get away.!
(url)http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3050319
It Was the Best of Times & the Worst, But It Was the Best Trip Evah!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2811518
Wicket's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 09:32 PM   #454
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country
It was a popular place after partying on Saturday nights

Back from a weekend trip home and playing catch up.

Great update! I really want to go back to St Maartan. I thought it was beautiful and loved the European feel!

Congrats on the booking the new cruise!

Jill in CO
Old 11-17-2013, 10:30 PM   #455
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizneeat View Post
The cast member actually got to me more than the overcooked breakfast. She really put a damper on the day, but thankfully we forgot about her soon, as it was a beautiful day.
She was most unmagical, glad it didn't last

Quote:
Cynthia thanks for letting me know they can fix the MB issue while you are on hold. I would not mind paying for that long distance call IF they were able to fix the issue. The other call I had to made took me almost 45 minutes at international rates and NOTHING got fixed - they messed it up even more.
Guess I am trying the member service number this time.
I forgot about the international rate issue, my brother has some kind of deal where they can call our land lines (not cell) insanely cheap...not sure how they do it but they can kind of call anytime as a result.

Quote:
It's not all that urgent for us, as we are still outside the booking window, but I cannot book ANY FP+ for him, as on one account he needs a room reservation and on the other he needs a ticket. The ticket is linked to one account and the room reservation (and now MB - which they changed to the wrong account) is linked to the other.
Right, so they need to reassign his ticket to the room reservation, right? Merge the profiles. Total pain but yes, they can fix it and wise to take care of it now and not have issues later!

Quote:
I went home and took a nap and when I got up again I figured out that I would be able to change over our dummy cruises to "real" dates. As every year we intended to fly to Orlando during my half term vacation and take a 4 night cruise on the Dream. So I took down the dates, then looked through the new itineraries and something caught my eye. There was a cruise sailing out on Tom's birthday! I checked and low and behold this would be my Easter vacation. So I took that into consideration as well.
I called and after being on hold for a little while I got quotes for both cruises and changed BOTH over to the new dates - one for February and the other one for Tom's birthday, which is a 7 night on the Magic, calling at Key West, Grand Cayman, Cozumel and Castaway Cay.
Now the quote for the Magic costs quite a bit more than an arm and a leg, but I am SOOOOO hoping to be able to pull it off.
I am hoping to change the February cruise to one for the summer of 2015.
I assume you saw the info about the re-booking window changing? Now you have to book, and complete a cruise booked on another one within 18 months of booking to keep discounts, OBC etc. Older ones are all grandfathered in until November of 2015 but I'd check and make sure the one you want to move to summer of 2015 works with their new rules!

Lovely lovey day you had all around. I loved the fort, your salad looked FABULOUS to me and yes, after those steps I do think a vacation tropical drink in a souvenir glass was absolutely earned!
eandesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:23 PM   #456
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas

Great pictures and sounds like a really great excursion
If we do excursions I like them to just be for a few hours in the morning so you still have time to explore on your own
Linda67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 04:38 PM   #457
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post
St. Thomas looks so pretty. I really hope to get there someday. I know I would go picture crazy. I always love seeing pictures of forts!
We really enjoyed our day in Sint Maarten. Such a beautiful place and we loved that we got to spend quite some time roaming Philipsburg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicket's Mom View Post
Our first cruise was to St Thomas & St Maartin. We spent the day in Phillpsburg shopping. On St Thomas we went over to St John to the underwater national park. The water at the beach was so clear, loved. St Thomas not so much. We were warned to hide our money as the crime rates were high.

I know what you mean about the merchants on the western Carribean, they drag one back to their shops & it's hard to get away.!
We really loved the Eastern itinerary and especially Sint Maarten. St. Thomas was nice too and other than you we were not warned or did we experience anything frightening (apart from the bus we were riding in )

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedijill View Post
Back from a weekend trip home and playing catch up.

Great update! I really want to go back to St Maartan. I thought it was beautiful and loved the European feel!

Congrats on the booking the new cruise!

Jill in CO
I hope you had an awesome weekend.

You really need to try and go to Sint Maarten. It was really beautiful and felt very European!

Can't believe we really booked and are going on another 7 night in 2015!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
She was most unmagical, glad it didn't last

Yes, unmagical describes that CM very nicely.

I forgot about the international rate issue, my brother has some kind of deal where they can call our land lines (not cell) insanely cheap...not sure how they do it but they can kind of call anytime as a result.

Even though the international rate here is not as bad as it was, it adds up when you are on hold for half an hour.
I know I could use skype, but I'd rather have a real phone in hand.

Right, so they need to reassign his ticket to the room reservation, right? Merge the profiles. Total pain but yes, they can fix it and wise to take care of it now and not have issues later!

Yes, that is what needs to be done. I am considering just adding another ticket to his account (we have gazillions of tickets lying around as we used to book with the Brits and I always bought the non-expiration option for them. Maybe that would keep me from being on hold again forever. Well, I will try to call them again next weekend.

I assume you saw the info about the re-booking window changing? Now you have to book, and complete a cruise booked on another one within 18 months of booking to keep discounts, OBC etc. Older ones are all grandfathered in until November of 2015 but I'd check and make sure the one you want to move to summer of 2015 works with their new rules!

Cynthia, about 5 minutes after I had hung up the phone, I got three emails from DCL explaining the new OBB policy. They are giving bookings made prior to their announcement another 6 months (until Nov 30 of 2015) so we are in the clear.
I do hold three (actually 4, but one is paid in full) OBBs. The first one we are going to use up in February (that's the one paid in full), the second one is our summer Med cruise, then cruise no 3 is the March Western Caribbean with Key West and I save the last one for our summer 2015 cruise - hoping for a 7 night Fantasy IF the prices aren't too high.

Lovely lovey day you had all around. I loved the fort, your salad looked FABULOUS to me and yes, after those steps I do think a vacation tropical drink in a souvenir glass was absolutely earned!
We loved our Sint Maarten day. The view was awesome and the retail therapy was nice as well.
The salad though was out of this world - SO good! Yeah, and you cannot give up a free refill and a souvenir glass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda67 View Post
Great pictures and sounds like a really great excursion
If we do excursions I like them to just be for a few hours in the morning so you still have time to explore on your own
I can really recommend the excursion, especially if they offer an adult only. It took about 3 hours and was just the right length to give you time to explore on your own as well.
TR Summer 2014: We're out of it! A MAGICal Med adventure TR 2013: Get off the ship .....

Old 11-18-2013, 05:39 PM   #458
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

Hi Karin Just keeping up with all the chatter
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop
englishrose47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 01:56 PM   #459
Leshaface
DIS Veteran

Congratulations on the cruise!!!

The view from up on the hill is amazing! Great shots.

Ooh, the food looks so good at the Hard Rock. I've only been to one HRC and that was in San Francisco for some beers only.

DLR: Yearly trips from 1991-2006, AP holder Jan 06 (monthly trips thru May 2008), Nov 08 DLH-Dreams, Jan 09 GCH, June 09 DLH-Magic, June 09 Desert Inn, Oct 09 Tropicana, Mar 10 GCH, May 10 Castle Inn, Nov 10 GCH, Mar 11 DLH, Nov 11 GCH, Mar 12 PPH, Apr 12 PPH, July 12 PPH, Nov 12 DLH, May 13 GCH, July 14 VGC, Oct 14 CCI
WDW : June 2-8, 2008 - Pop Century, January 20-28, 2010 - CSR, Dec 8-15, 2012 AKV/BWV, Oct 5-11, 2013 SSR/AKV/BLT
DCL: Dream June 2011, Wonder Dec 2011

Starting the New Year off right!...at WDW January 2015 PTR
Food and Wine? Sounds Divine! Oct 2013 TROur First WDW Trip as Parents - December 2012
Mexican Riviera Cruise with WONDERful Souvenir in the Works!Dream CAME True! June 21-26, 2011 TR
Food, Fun, and Frivolity: 8 Funtabulous days
Ugh, what were we thinking?! 9 days Deluxe Dining, The Crow's fly to Disneyworld! Jan 20-28, 2010 Pre-TR, DLR - The Proposal, Bouncers, and a Celebrity! June 3-6
Leshaface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 03:30 PM   #460
KatMark
DIS Veteran

I'm playing catch up...again (and I know you know how that is).

Beautiful photos on your excursion.

I am now drooling over Tom's fried onions on his sandwich (I love those things).
Old 11-19-2013, 04:56 PM   #461
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishrose47 View Post
Hi Karin Just keeping up with all the chatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshaface View Post
Congratulations on the cruise!!!

The view from up on the hill is amazing! Great shots.

Ooh, the food looks so good at the Hard Rock. I've only been to one HRC and that was in San Francisco for some beers only.
Thank you! We are so excited about the cruise!

I was amazed at how nice the food at the Hard Rock actually was. We had been to the one at UO before and I had not been impressed, but that salad and pulled pork sandwich were delish!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
I'm playing catch up...again (and I know you know how that is).

Beautiful photos on your excursion.

I am now drooling over Tom's fried onions on his sandwich (I love those things).
Oh, playing catch up ...... that's a game I'm playing almost daily.

Glad you enjoy the photos. We took so many and I am having a hard time deciding which ones to post.

The sandwich was delish. He really enjoyed it ..... and those fried onions were great, so crispy!

Old 11-19-2013, 04:58 PM   #462
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Oh, playing catch up ...... that's a game I'm playing almost daily.

Glad you enjoy the photos. We took so many and I am having a hard time deciding which ones to post.

The sandwich was delish. He really enjoyed it ..... and those fried onions were great, so crispy!
And I went and snuck in a second update after you posted on my first one. By the way, yes, we have seen the Osborne Lights. We saw them for the first time last December on Mark's surprise 60th birthday trip.

LOVE crispy fried onions.
Old 11-19-2013, 05:13 PM   #463
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

Day 7, August 13

A visit to the Netherlands and France before Captain Jack takes over the Fantasy - Part 5

And after a short deliberation we decided not to walk back to the ship, but use the water taxi that was offered there. We asked about where to pay for it and they told us to just get on board and pay once we got off. So we walked over and there was a boat ready to leave, but they waited and made room for us and another family who was behind us. The ship was FULL, but we did find a seat and were even able to purchase a bottle of icy cold water.

By the time we made it to the dock next to the Fantasy the bottle was empty and I had a few more small bills. When we got off the ship we were directed towards a certain exit, where we were able to pay our fare.

Then we headed over to the small shopping area right at the harbour.

We had a look into one or two of the shops there before walking back to the ship.

It was awesome to see that they had put up a tent and some drinks dispensers for their guests before we all headed back on board. Security was a breeze and we headed back up to our stateroom.
And after having had a shower we sat outside on the veranda with a drink. Tom tried one of his

new beers, while I gave t

he sparkling wine we had received from DCL a try. We had already received a lot of sweets and so we nibbled on the sweets and enjoyed our drinks. And while we were still sitting out on the veranda there was a knock at the door and a cast member brought a model of the cabana we had booked at Castaway Cay and our wristbands.

We were a bit surprised they already handed them out so early, but it was nice to have as a decoration in the stateroom.
There was no show that night as it was Pirate Night and at around 6pm we got ready to go to Palo for dinner. At 6.15 we walked up to the restaurant and were asked to take a seat inside Meridian until our table was ready. It didnít take very long and we were taken to our table and greeted by our server, Ophelie from France.

To be continued ............

Old 11-19-2013, 05:17 PM   #464
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
And I went and snuck in a second update after you posted on my first one. By the way, yes, we have seen the Osborne Lights. We saw them for the first time last December on Mark's surprise 60th birthday trip.

LOVE crispy fried onions.
I forgot your 60th birthday trip was over Christmas, silly me.
Need to head back to your report to read the update I missed. Thanks for the heads up on it.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:08 PM   #465
KatMark
DIS Veteran

I think I'm catching up and then you put in another update. You are very sneaky.

The foliage is beautiful, and I saw my husband eyeing your wine as I was reading the update (he's become a wine lover).

Yay for your Castaway wristbands.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: