Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2014, 02:04 PM   #31
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

I sort of remember the old dress code - flip flops and sneakers were out. Tee shirts were out. I don't remember if shorts were out or if they just required "dress shorts." I understand that instead of going back to the resort to change, people just stopped going to the resorts for signature restaurants. So you now have the "relaxed" code.
Old 02-10-2014, 02:16 PM   #32
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

The code, as currently written, seems to be pretty consistently enforced. The torn jeans/cutoffs and swimwear/coverup provisions in particular - I've overheard cast members telling guests about both prohibitions, and it didn't always end in an exception for the guest (one that really irked me - a family staying at the Contemporary was pitching a fit over being told they couldn't be seated looking like they'd just come from the pool, ranting about how much they spent to stay there and how they should be able to have dinner in their own resort without going up to change).

Now, whether or not the dress code is too lax is a matter of personal opinion. I personally like it as written, and wouldn't want to bus back to our resort to change if we wanted a nicer dinner. But others don't share that appreciation for a more casual atmosphere and I certainly understand that as well.

Tickerless once more...Kid-free trip on hold until fall 2014
How a Year Off Became a Year of Disney Magic! PTR
My Training Blog - From Fluffy to Fit: A Pooh Sized Runner's Quest to Run Disney
Colleen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-10-2014, 05:37 PM   #33
CanadianPaco
Canadian
I was 5'4" because of my big hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniesgal View Post
Oh I really do hope this is a start of stricter enforcement of dress codes at Signatures. To me Sigature dining should feel like a special occasion so torn clothes etc should be banned and the ban enforced
I agree!
Aug 2009 - ASMu / Aug 2010 - POFQ
Aug 2007 - HoJos - DL / April 2009 - HoJos - DL
Aug 2004 - ASMo / July 2005 - Pop
CanadianPaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 06:21 AM   #34
Uncleromulus

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
I sort of remember the old dress code - flip flops and sneakers were out. Tee shirts were out. I don't remember if shorts were out or if they just required "dress shorts." I understand that instead of going back to the resort to change, people just stopped going to the resorts for signature restaurants. So you now have the "relaxed" code.
THis is exactly what happened. I recall a manager at one of the Signatures was keeping a stock of polo shirts and making guests change into those from their t-shirts. That did NOT go over well.

And think about it--going back to your resort to shower, change and then get to the Signature restaurant--using WDW transportation--could take HOURS of valuable park time.
Vacation Club since 1992
Next trip-- Fantasy Cruise on 11/1 14!!
60 previous visits to WDW!!!
Uncleromulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 04:02 PM   #35
Minniesgal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncleromulus View Post
THis is exactly what happened. I recall a manager at one of the Signatures was keeping a stock of polo shirts and making guests change into those from their t-shirts. That did NOT go over well. And think about it--going back to your resort to shower, change and then get to the Signature restaurant--using WDW transportation--could take HOURS of valuable park time.
I would hate to go out for a signature without showering and changing. I guess each to his or her own.
Minniesgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 05:02 PM   #36
Hopefully
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I would hate to go out for a signature without showering and changing. I guess each to his or her own.
I agree. We always return to the resort and freshen up and change before a Signature Restaurant
Old 02-11-2014, 05:58 PM   #37
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
For me, it is the time that holds me back. We stay value or moderate and don't drive, so by the time we bus back to our hotel, get 5 people showered and changed, bus back to the appropriate park, then walk/bus/monorail over to the restaurant, we'd easily be looking at 3+ hours to get ready for dinner. That's just not how we want to spend our vacation time.

Tickerless once more...Kid-free trip on hold until fall 2014
How a Year Off Became a Year of Disney Magic! PTR
My Training Blog - From Fluffy to Fit: A Pooh Sized Runner's Quest to Run Disney
Colleen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 06:03 PM   #38
LilyWDW
Going to My Happy Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopefully View Post
I agree. We always return to the resort and freshen up and change before a Signature Restaurant
Yep.

And then I just grab a taxi to the resort (and back after my meal). I mean, heck, I am already paying for the signature meal. The cost of the taxi is nothing!

But I do dress up a bit for my signature meals. Usually a casual dress, but not park clothes.

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." - Walt Disney
DIS'er OCTOBER 2014 FB Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1398705187009744/

LilyWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:13 AM   #39
Uncleromulus

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colleen27 View Post
For me, it is the time that holds me back. We stay value or moderate and don't drive, so by the time we bus back to our hotel, get 5 people showered and changed, bus back to the appropriate park, then walk/bus/monorail over to the restaurant, we'd easily be looking at 3+ hours to get ready for dinner. That's just not how we want to spend our vacation time.
And there are many thousands of potential Signature restaurant customers who feel the very same way. With the relaxed "code" Disney gets many of them. Get tough and most will eat elsewhere.
Vacation Club since 1992
Next trip-- Fantasy Cruise on 11/1 14!!
60 previous visits to WDW!!!
Uncleromulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:05 AM   #40
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Personally I'm not up on the thought that "if I'm paying for a signature meal, I can afford $40 for a taxi there and back." That's four drinks right there. Well, two and a half at Disney.

I don't always go in park clothes, but it's nice to be able to.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: