Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2013, 09:52 AM   #16
gawrsh2008
Mouseketeer

As stated previously in this thread, footwear is not even addressed in the dress code policy. Flip flops ARE allowed.
gawrsh2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 10:48 AM   #17
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by gawrsh2008 View Post
As stated previously in this thread, footwear is not even addressed in the dress code policy. Flip flops ARE allowed.
Really? I could have sworn I saw something about flip flops not being allowed??

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-18-2013, 11:01 AM   #18
Sweet Melissa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofyintoronto View Post
I think there was a point several years ago when flip flops and athletic shoes were mentioned, but everything about footwear was taken out when the dress code was relaxed and t-shirts were allowed.

♥ Melissa
Last Visit: November 2013 - Wedding/Honeymoon! Old Key West & Kidani
Next Visit: October 2014 - Boardwalk Villas
Sweet Melissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:14 AM   #19
gawrsh2008
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofyintoronto View Post
Trust me. I read the dress code to my guests several times a day. There is nothing about foot wear in it.
gawrsh2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:14 PM   #20
cobright
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncleromulus View Post
Only t-shirts with offensive words or graphics are "not permitted". So t-shirts ARE "generally acceptable" unless they meet that "offensive" standard.
California Grill requires collared shirts. It can be a short sleeved button down, or a polo style, but not the kind normally called a t-shirt (Hanes or whatnot)
cobright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 04:06 PM   #21
bdklein
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobright View Post
California Grill requires collared shirts. It can be a short sleeved button down, or a polo style, but not the kind normally called a t-shirt (Hanes or whatnot)
I disagree on collared shirts (although I wish you were right). Right from the WDW website for California Grill. It says "may" and not "must" regarding collared shirts. Shown below.

At this signature dining experience, Guests are asked to adhere to the dress code.

Men may wear khakis, slacks, jeans or dress shorts and collared shirts. Sport coats are optional.

Women may wear Capri pants, skirts, dresses, jeans or dress shorts.

Not permitted are tank tops, swimsuits, swimsuit cover-ups, hats for gentlemen, cut-offs, torn clothing and t-shirts with offensive language and/or graphics.
bdklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:27 PM   #22
cobright
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdklein View Post
I disagree on collared shirts (although I wish you were right). Right from the WDW website for California Grill. It says "may" and not "must" regarding collared shirts.
I think we would need to consult a grammar maven. Here's the text again:
Quote:
At this signature dining experience, Guests are asked to adhere to the dress code.

Men may wear khakis, slacks, jeans or dress shorts and collared shirts. Sport coats are optional.

The two lists support the primary statement that guests must follow a dress code.

In the same way someone asking, "What is there to eat?" might be told, "You may have the chicken or the fish." Right, the person may choose either of those things and because it is an offer (may) instead of a command (must) the person may choose nothing at all. But that person does not get to decide that he would rather be served steak.

When someone gives you a list of things you are permitted to wear, that's your list. Any information given after that list is ancillary and included to guide the choice or to address troublesome misscommunications.
cobright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:53 PM   #23
k5thbeatle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniesgal View Post
Oh I really do hope this is a start of stricter enforcement of dress codes at Signatures. To me Sigature dining should feel like a special occasion so flip flops torn clothes etc should be banned and the ban enforced
Couldn't agree more!!!

k5thbeatle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:59 PM   #24
k5thbeatle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdklein View Post
I disagree on collared shirts (although I wish you were right). Right from the WDW website for California Grill. It says "may" and not "must" regarding collared shirts. Shown below.

Not permitted are tank tops, swimsuits, swimsuit cover-ups, hats for gentlemen, cut-offs, torn clothing and t-shirts with offensive language and/or graphics.
This is a joke post right? You're kidding here right?

k5thbeatle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:14 PM   #25
bdklein
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by k5thbeatle View Post
This is a joke post right? You're kidding here right?
No I am not. What makes you think I was?
bdklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:47 AM   #26
AliceandAriel
part of your world!

Quote:
Originally Posted by k5thbeatle View Post
Couldn't agree more!!!
Hear hear! Not to be mean, but when/if you pay for a Signature dining like that, it's nice to sort of 'step out' of the casual dining experience. Like choosing between McDonald's or Don Shula's steakhouse- pretty sure McD's doesn't care WHAT you wear (or in some places, if you wear...) but Shula's carries a dress code, and it helps with the atmosphere when you go to dine. Makes you feel spiffy!

[May 2012 Off-Site WBC][May 2013 Off-Site WBC][October 2013 AoA LM][February 2014 AoA LK][October 2014 AKV-Kidani]
AliceandAriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 06:30 AM   #27
Uncleromulus

DIS Veteran

cobright:

Guests are ASKED to adhere to the dress "code"--they are not REQUIRED to adhere to it except for the very few "not permitted" items. T-shirts are very clearly permitted unless they are deemed "offensive" in some way. If you decide not to follow the suggested guidelines, (like wearing cargo shorts instead of "dress shorts") you are quite free to do so. The only items you CANNOT wear are already listed.

Disney did attempt to "get tough" with the dress code a few years back, but found that a large# of folks were coming from (or going to) the parks and had no time or inclination to take the valuable time to get all dressed up for dinner. They lost a fair amount of business "getting tough" and then went with the policy we see now.

AliceandAriel: The dress code at Shulas is exactly the same as we are discussing here--shorts and t-shirts are acceptable attire.

Of course Disney can "get tough" yet again, but I suspect the end result will be the same. And to add what the "trend" is, the Disney Cruise line has changed it's policy to now allow shorts in their TS restaurants---
Vacation Club since 1992
Next trip-- Fantasy Cruise on 11/1 14!!
60 previous visits to WDW!!!
Uncleromulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 04:51 AM   #28
Cruzfaber
Earning My Ears

If a person have good dressing sense, then I don't think then fashion is expensive. The good designs are also available that must fit into our budget.
Cruzfaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 01:46 PM   #29
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

California Grill doesn't require collared shirts. I've seen plenty of men wearing tee shirts in there. Unless they've just decided to start. I haven't been there since December.

I think the list is pretty clear. "May wear" is not the same as "must not wear." They won't turn you away for a tee shirt (unless it's offensive - I guess that means unless it's got an inappropriate graphic or slogan on it, or someone else complains about it) but they will for torn clothes. They would just prefer that you wear a collar, not require it.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:58 PM   #30
Uncleromulus

DIS Veteran

Exactly--the "code" is what they suggest you wear--what they would like you to wear.

IF you don't follow the suggestions, there is that short list of what you can't wear.
Vacation Club since 1992
Next trip-- Fantasy Cruise on 11/1 14!!
60 previous visits to WDW!!!
Uncleromulus is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: