Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2013, 07:15 PM   #1
Catrinabeach
DIS Veteran

I need help deciding and opinions :)

We are planning to go next Oct/Nov 2014 and we are hoping they offer free dining. All my "plans" are based on the idea that we will get Free Dining (if they don't offer it in Oct/Nov next year we will switch to Sept)

So we usually stay at a value. We have done Pop and ASMU.

This time we decided we would try a Mod since we would upgrade to the Basic DDP anyways.

So here is my dilemma.

I priced (based on this years FD promo prices ) for our stay which I think I plugged in Oct 31-Nov 8, but we actually want to stay longer. I priced POR already for the time we want and it is $3926.37 (Oct 30-Nov 10th).

Fort Cabins $4484.73
POR $3260.73
AKL $5261.05 (Savannah cause if I'm gonna do it I'm getting the view)
Poly $5693.13
WL $4828.97.

I have always wanted to try AKL but I have such a hard time justifying so much extra cost !! My issue is that we could stay for Oct 30-Nov 10th for just under $4000. Or we could stay a shorter time and do the cabins for just a bit more (always wanted to stay at the campground too), I love the look of the Poly but not sure I like the actual resort when we go to dinner there, WL we have never even considered so not sure about that one at all.

What would you do and why ? My Dh is no help. He doesn't really care what I pick. If I want to do AKL he will love it. If I stick with POR he will be fine with that. If I said hey let's do POP he'd say sure. LOL

I need some help !!! We will have 8 yr old DD and her 11 yr old friend. Her friend has never been to WDW before. This will be DD's 7th trip

All the resorts we are considering we have never stayed at !
Old 09-18-2013, 07:51 PM   #2
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catrinabeach View Post
We are planning to go next Oct/Nov 2014 and we are hoping they offer free dining. All my "plans" are based on the idea that we will get Free Dining (if they don't offer it in Oct/Nov next year we will switch to Sept)

This time we decided we would try a Mod since we would upgrade to the Basic DDP anyways.

So here is my dilemma.

I priced (based on this years FD promo prices ) for our stay which I think I plugged in Oct 31-Nov 8, but we actually want to stay longer. I priced POR already for the time we want and it is $3926.37 (Oct 30-Nov 10th).

Fort Cabins $4484.73
POR $3260.73
Poly $5693.13
WL $4828.97.

I have always wanted to try AKL but I have such a hard time justifying so much extra cost !! My issue is that we could stay for Oct 30-Nov 10th for just under $4000. Or we could stay a shorter time and do the cabins for just a bit more (always wanted to stay at the campground too), I love the look of the Poly but not sure I like the actual resort when we go to dinner there, WL we have never even considered so not sure about that one at all.

What would you do and why ? My Dh is no help. He doesn't really care what I pick. If I want to do AKL he will love it. If I stick with POR he will be fine with that. If I said hey let's do POP he'd say sure. LOL

I need some help !!! We will have 8 yr old DD and her 11 yr old friend. Her friend has never been to WDW before. This will be DD's 7th trip

Out of your choices, we have stayed at WL, AKL, and Poly, with the Poly being our favorite. The Poly would be great as the rooms are large and spacious with all rooms having a daybed, it's on the monorail, and it's just a 5-7 minute walk to the TTC to catch the Epcot monorail. However, the Poly is in the beginning stages of DVC construction that isn't due to be completed until (I think) sometime in 2015, so that may factor into your decision regarding the Poly. With that said, we have had great stays at both the WL and AKL. Both are great resorts with different advantages. WL is convenient to MK as well as to the monorail resorts for a variety of dining and shopping options. AKL is also great as it's a quiet resort and you can't beat seeing animals every day. Both resorts have great pools as well as great bus transportation, IMO. With all of that said, you really can't go wrong with any of your choices. I would choose the one that the theme/decor appeals to you the most. Good luck.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-18-2013, 08:03 PM   #3
Disneyhenry
DIS Veteran

AKL or Cabins get my votes, I have stayed at AKL and loved it (savannah view too) but never stayed at the cabins, but they I hope to stay there on day

DH DSME

Disneyland 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008,2007, 2005, 2004, 2003, 2002, 2001, 2000, 1999, 1998, 1997, 1994
WDW Split stay AKV-Kinadi and POP 2011
DCL - DREAM 2011, Wonder to Hawaii 2012
Dec 2013 Family Reunion at WL!
Disneyhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:24 AM   #4
KimmiP
Earning My Ears

I've stayed at all those places except for Poly (which is on our list). But I do agree that as great as the Poly is, with the construction it may not be worth the price increase.

WL is our personal favorite. Convenient and alot of fun for the kids, plus it is a beautiful resort. It's compact so it isn't a far walk to anything in the resort. If you are taking two girls, I would suggest a room with bunkbeds. Easier to get them to sleep

AKL is great also but to me it's so far out of the way of everything else. Wathcing the animals is great and so is some of the activities for the kids.

The cabins were great also. We ordered food to be delivered and it becomes quite convenient (and cheaper) to have breakfast before we went and snacks, water and such. The best part about the cabins is that you can be in two different rooms if you wish.

I'm not going to talk about POR since you've been there.

I guess it all depends on your personal tastes. What you really need to decide is if it more important to you to stay longer or have a better room. Then take it from there. Personally I love WL, but if your heart is set on AKL, go for it, you won't have the "what if's" running through your head.

Been to the world too many times to count
KimmiP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:38 AM   #5
hgeisler
DIS Veteran

I would say WL too. The Poly would be my first choice, however due to the construction, I wouldn't choose it right now. WL is close to the monorail resorts, and has a nice rustic feel. There are also lots of kids activities for the kids between WL and Ft. Wilderness
hgeisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:11 PM   #6
Sheilby
Labels aren't my thing

Not to throw a wrench in your plans, but don't they release the October/November free dining after the time to book the September free dining is over? I remember this year you had to book by the end of July to get the September dining and they didn't release the Oct/Nov dining until the beginning of August.
Old 09-19-2013, 12:17 PM   #7
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyhenry View Post
AKL or Cabins get my votes, I have stayed at AKL and loved it (savannah view too) but never stayed at the cabins, but they I hope to stay there on day
Old 09-19-2013, 12:19 PM   #8
HM
A tag from the TF is better than a personalized licence plate

I would not count on your dates as having free dining. I just think it's too iffy.
Why not start your planning with September dates in the first place since that month is the only sure thing? Plus it's a bit less expensive than Oct-Nov being Value season.

Of your choices, I'd choose Fort Wilderness Cabins if you are a family of six...as your picture shows.
HM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:33 PM   #9
Catrinabeach
DIS Veteran

We will be a party of 4. The kids in our pic are now grown and on their own except the smallest one in the pic

I realize the booking for Sept FD will end before the fall one would be released if they are doing it. So we plan to book for Sept when FD is released in the spring, and if in July FD is offered for Oct/Nov we will rebook for the time we really want. If it isn't offered we will stay with a Sept trip I'm flexible lol to get my FD

I asked my 8 yr old last night what she would like. 11 nights at POR or 8 at AKL. I forgot about the construction at Poly so that strikes that out for sure.

She said she would rather the POR for the longer stay as her friend has never been and she would rather stay longer. Dh agreed with her. Guess it's POR.

I did suggest to Dh that since we are doing POR for this trip that just maybe in 2015 when Dh and I go on a trip on our own we spend a few days at AKL He agreed LOL
Old 09-19-2013, 12:35 PM   #10
mm1971
DIS Veteran

Quote:

So here is my dilemma.

Fort Cabins $4484.73
POR $3260.73
Poly $5693.13
WL $4828.97.

You have 2 different amounts for POR?? I assume one of them is actually POFQ. We usually stay at POR or POFQ and prefer FQ. The price is still reasonable and you get nice pools and queen beds. I just can't see spending more than $1,000 more to stay at the other options you list, but that is just me.

If it helps, POFQ is the smallest resort so it is usually pretty quiet and is my DD10 (soon to be 11) favorite resort. We have visited and stayed at others, but always seem to miss FQ. Poly is starting construction soon (or maybe already) so i would check that. If I was going to splurge and do anything on your list, it would be AKL Savannah view. We have visited there and love the resort, but have never stayed there. I would prefer to save the money for other things while we are there though. Like the Mickey glow ears just released at $25 a pop.

mm1971 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:09 PM   #11
Catrinabeach
DIS Veteran

The different prices for POR were for different number of nights.

I think like you do and have a hard time justifying to my mind why I should pay $1000 more for less nights. Even though I love the idea of AKL lol I'm cheap I say LOL

But then I don't mind paying for those pricey costumes and stuff

I swear picking a resort is the hardest thing about a trip to Disney
Old 09-19-2013, 01:49 PM   #12
grimley1968
DIS Veteran
Obedient Man

I'd try to be open-minded about what kind of deals you can get. Generally speaking, the higher priced the resort (deluxes), the more likely you are to save money by getting a room-only or package discount, versus getting "free dining". "Free dining" requires paying rack rate for the room. Getting 30-40% off rack rate, even if only for the room, could very possibly save you more than paying full price and paying for meals in advance, which is essentially what "free dining" is. Getting a 30-40% discount on a room/ticket package is even better savings. Unfortunately, these kinds of discounts don't seem to be offered as much as in the past.

Going down to moderate resort pricing, you could possibly save more with "free dining". For value resort pricing, "free dining" is almost always going to save more than any other kind of discount, though they may only offer the free QSDP for value resorts.

This year we couldn't do any of those deluxes, even if we could have found a discount. But if I could find at least a 25% discount, WL is the biggest bang for the resort buck, IMO. It's significantly less expensive than the other deluxes, except for AKL. And we actually prefer the WL boat to MK over the Poly monorail to MK. The Poly is our second favorite, because of the transportation options (to MK and EPCOT) and just because we love the resort. But it has become too steep for us in recent years.
Old 09-19-2013, 02:05 PM   #13
Lori77
Mouseketeer

Save on hotel

I agree with you about saving money on the resort, then you can have more frills in the parks. Since your daughter has a friend going, with the extra money you saved, you can make it really special with extras. Maybe take them to get their nails done or buy pins/lanyards for both so they can have fun trading around the world.

I used to be able to justify the costs of staying deluxe, but now, I would rather have more freedom and enjoyment without thinking about how much I've already spent! In addition, I've been able to go twice for the same price as the more expensive trips. I'd rather visit more :-)

2013 trips: Feb 10-15, 2013 at AsMo & May 2013 at Pop
Last trip: Wishes Do Come True! 10th Anniversary Trip April 26-30, 2014 at POP!

Next trip: Solo! August 24-26, 2014 undecided on hotel...CBR, CS, or ?
Lori77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:05 PM   #14
wendybeth75
DIS Veteran

Quote:
The different prices for POR were for different number of nights.

I think like you do and have a hard time justifying to my mind why I should pay $1000 more for less nights. Even though I love the idea of AKL lol I'm cheap I say LOL

But then I don't mind paying for those pricey costumes and stuff

I swear picking a resort is the hardest thing about a trip to Disney
Picking a resort always stresses me out!!! I have to tell you, I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE POR. We have stayed there a few times and it just feels like our Disney Home. As silly as this sounds, we are going in a couple of weeks and will be at the Poly for the first time, but part of me is mourning not staying at POR.
I call it a Moderate disguised as a deluxe! The only thing it lacks are the bigger rooms (they have queen beds already) and being right next to a park. Though I find it is nicely spaced between all of them. The grounds are gorgeous, and it has a very relaxed atmosphere. The food court is fab and I love taking the boat to DD. The best thing??? No matter what you choose you will be at DISNEY!!!!

July 2000 Off Property,Oct 2003 All Star sports, Apr 2011 POR, Sept 2011 POR, Oct 2012 BC, Dec 2012 POR, Oct 2013 POLY, Dec 2013 weekend Caribe Royale, Apr 2014 AKL/WL-CL June 2014 POR

wendybeth75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:56 PM   #15
coastermom
Proud Redhead
I am not crazy just like my job
This makes the decision much easier
ROLLERCOASTERS ARE MY LIFE

Just to throw an idea into your head did you consider maybe renting DVC points for AKL .. I know you can not get the free dining but the savings might break out even if you pay for the dining and get the DVC room . We did this for Nov 7- Nov 11 for 4 adults got our dining through the DVC rental and paid just about $1,000 each for Air Fare from NYC , DDP , AKL studio savanna view and our tickets through union plus ... Just an ideal for you .

coastermom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: