Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 12:10 PM   #1456
emilyhuff
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomhatch View Post
Deducted from your rooms price for each day.
Right so do they put it back on your credit card? Our trip is already paid for
May 2007 - Senior Trip All Star Sports
Oct 2012 - Mother/Daughter Trip to POR
May 2013 - 1st trip to Disneyland!
Oct 2013 - w/DBF to POR
Nov 2014- Wine & Dine Half (fingers crossed!)
Old 10-25-2013, 12:13 PM   #1457
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilyhuff View Post
Right so do they put it back on your credit card? Our trip is already paid for
They'll first put the credit onto your room so if you charge anything back to your room, the credit will be there to help offset any charges. If you don't charge anything to your room or if you didn't charge enough back to your room to use up the entire credit they will put what's left back onto your credit card when you check out.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-25-2013, 01:39 PM   #1458
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydnerella View Post
I faxed an enthusiastic and Venomhatch approved request for:
1. Connecting rooms
2. Mansion
3. Second Floor

I thought it was a slam dunk... but we got no connecting rooms, Alligator Bayou 1st floor...
Perhaps now might be a good time to gently remind people that requests (other than for very specific, usually medical, reasons) are just that - requests - and not any sort of guarantee.

Port Orleans is one of the few Disney resorts which still accepts faxes at all, and I know that they do try their best to process such requests when they have time. But sometimes that is not possible for any number of reasons (they might just be short staffed that day, or too busy). They might even choose to leave a more straight-forward request (such as general location, or upper/lower floor) to be caught during the check-in process on the day, so that you are not pre-assigned to a room which then might not actually be ready when you get there.

It is also more likely that properly linked multiple-room bookings will get noted (these are also picked up by daily searches on the computers in fact) and allocated nearby rooms.

The next point that requests are checked (and this would be the requests that were included with your central booking, plus any online checking updates, but probably not faxes) is when the Online Checkin staff look at a booking a few hours before you are due to arrive, and they assign a room from the pool of ready rooms that they see on the system at that particular moment.

Finally, when you actually arrive, if you are not happy with what has been assigned for you, you can always ask them to look at the new pool of available rooms (which will be different from the ones they saw earlier) and see if anything better is available. In this way, Online Checkin gives you a "double dip" chance.

But you do need to bear in mind that it may not be possible to action any of these things (especially for late-in-the-day checkins) but that is quite unusual.

I'm not sure that "Venomhatch approved" assures automatic VIP treatment at Disney by the way.

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
Old 10-25-2013, 02:01 PM   #1459
Katelly
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneBadApple View Post
I can vouch for that. Last year at CBR I didn't get my #1 request when we checked it. I asked the CM nicely if there was anything she could do and she made a phone call and we got moved to our perfect room location.
Same for us at our last visit to CBR. The original room was soooo far from the main area. I asked if they had something closer and they moved us to an awesome room.

Never hurts to ask!

Beach Club: December of 1991,1994,1997,1999 and 2002
Caribbean Beach: December 2004,February 2006
Pop Century: February 2006
POR: December 2013
POFQ: April 2014
Old 10-25-2013, 02:03 PM   #1460
Sydnerella
enough is as good as a feast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydnerella View Post
I faxed an enthusiastic and Venomhatch approved request for:
1. Connecting rooms
2. Mansion
3. Second Floor

I thought it was a slam dunk... but we got no connecting rooms, Alligator Bayou 1st floor...

However, when my DFIL checked in before we arrived, he knew the requests I made and the check-in CM was able to get us rooms next door but not connecting in Magnolia Terrace on the 2nd floor. So we were very pleased. Now the buses are another thing...

But anyway - the moral of my experience is DO NOT GIVE UP or be afraid to ask again at check-in

Have Fun!

Sydnerella's Mama
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley View Post
Perhaps now might be a good time to gently remind people that requests (other than for very specific, usually medical, reasons) are just that - requests - and not any sort of guarantee.

Port Orleans is one of the few Disney resorts which still accepts faxes at all, and I know that they do try their best to process such requests when they have time. But sometimes that is not possible for any number of reasons (they might just be short staffed that day, or too busy). They might even choose to leave a more straight-forward request (such as general location, or upper/lower floor) to be caught during the check-in process on the day, so that you are not pre-assigned to a room which then might not actually be ready when you get there.

It is also more likely that properly linked multiple-room bookings will get noted (these are also picked up by daily searches on the computers in fact) and allocated nearby rooms.

The next point that requests are checked (and this would be the requests that were included with your central booking, plus any online checking updates, but probably not faxes) is when the Online Checkin staff look at a booking a few hours before you are due to arrive, and they assign a room from the pool of ready rooms that they see on the system at that particular moment.

Finally, when you actually arrive, if you are not happy with what has been assigned for you, you can always ask them to look at the new pool of available rooms (which will be different from the ones they saw earlier) and see if anything better is available. In this way, Online Checkin gives you a "double dip" chance.

But you do need to bear in mind that it may not be possible to action any of these things (especially for late-in-the-day checkins) but that is quite unusual.

I'm not sure that "Venomhatch approved" assures automatic VIP treatment at Disney by the way.

Andre
This is all I was trying to say Andre - that even though I thought I had a rockstar room request fax - the requests were not granted for whatever reason, BUT we did not give up and asked again during the check-in process and we were given most of what we wanted in the end. All was not lost!

Theme of the day - ask again and be polite and say thank you!

Sydnerella's Mama

October 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside, March 2012 - Port Orleans French Quarter, February 2011 -Carribean Beach, March 2010 - VRBO House, April 2008 - VRBO House, March 2006 - Celebration

Last edited by Sydnerella; 10-25-2013 at 02:06 PM. Reason: 5 is really big for a font!
Old 10-25-2013, 02:15 PM   #1461
jrj
always looking forward to our next trip to DA WORLD!

Need help interpreting map location...

Hello everyone

Pixie dust to all

Let me preface this post by letting everyone know I am map illiterate

Seriously, I'm an Accountant and can count/calculate numbers lightning fast, however, when given a map, am like a deer in headlights

Now, on to my cry for help

We've book a RRRV {royal room river view} and have asked our TA to place the following requests on our booking:
  1. Top Floor
  2. Corner Room {looking to secure a room with 2 windows, if possible}

That being said, I've looked at portorleans.org and saw rooms 9416 & 9417... are these corner rooms? Is room 9416 next to the staircase?

Thanks much... I truly appreciate your help

Have a Magical Day and an even more Magical weekend

Old 10-25-2013, 02:37 PM   #1462
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

I wish POR would get a second hottub! I also wish they would make sure it's filled enough, because last Feb and this October it was so low that two of the jets were causing water to spurt up. Not so relaxing if you end up in front of those jets.

That said, in Oct the water was super-hot, so even though kids were trying to use it, they tended to just dangle their feet in. The kids that did brave getting all the way in acted, for the most part, really grownup. It was cute. (and no my son isn't included as he was having an absolute blast in the pool...not bragging on my own kid here!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamseeker9 View Post

Also, I was wondering for the quiet pools, are they really that quiet? I'd think that most kids would go to the main pool and not use the quiet pools.
DS used the one in the Mansions area while I was doing laundry a couple weeks ago, and there were several kids in it despite it being after 8pm. They had an awesome time playing a game of pirates&mermaids. If you were sitting right next to the pool it wasn't totally quiet, but if I was standing at the laundry room the sound really died away, so even though the kids weren't quiet, I'm not sure the sound really carried.

Anyway, it was a huge amount of fun for the kids in the pool that night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyKat View Post
Bumbershoot - congrats on your weight loss! That's awesome!

I seriously never thought about scooters not being able to stop. I hope I haven't cut someone off in the past. I will definitely be more aware in the future.

Thank you! I'm currently working on the 6 weeks of maintenance to hit "Lifetime" with Weight Watchers, and after that the rest of my life begins. Scary! And I thought the actual losing was hard!

When I walked around a park (Disneyland) with a good and responsible scooter-user (I've also walked with someone who was an absolute terror with the scooter) it shocked me how people just didn't notice it. Sure was a good lesson for me! Most of my family members have had, or need to have, various joints replaced, so I have a sneaking suspicion that someday I'll end up with one (though the weight loss has perhaps given me some extra time before that happens), and it was good to see how people behaved around scooters well ahead of time.

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently maintaining 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
Old 10-25-2013, 03:13 PM   #1463
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrj View Post
That being said, I've looked at portorleans.org and saw rooms 9416 & 9417... are these corner rooms? Is room 9416 next to the staircase?
9416 & 9417 are not corner rooms in the sense people discuss them here. They are right next to the main cross-corridior which contains the elevator and stairs and there is no second window, so I'd normally suggest avoiding them unless you want the convenience factor.

9416 would be the top-floor room just behind the right-hand side of the fountain in this picture (the room with the light on inside):

The inside of the corridor next to those rooms looks like this:

(you can just see the red/green coloured lights on the fountain through the stairwell in fact)

Andre

Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14

Last edited by andrewilley; 10-25-2013 at 03:19 PM.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:24 PM   #1464
jrj

Hi Andre

Thanks so much for responding truly appreciate it!!

The pictures are awesome!

Which 3rd floor rooms are corner rooms, with the second window?

As you can tell, I've failed miserably, with trying to locate these rooms on the map

Thanks again!

Quote:
9416 & 9417 are not corner rooms in the sense people discuss them here. They are right next to the main cross-corridior which contains the elevator and stairs and there is no second window, so I'd normally suggest avoiding them unless you want the convenience factor.

9416 would be the top-floor room just to the right of the fountain in this picture (the room with the light on inside):

The inside of the corridor next to those rooms looks like this:

(you can just see the red/green coloured lights on the fountain through the stairwell in fact)

Andre

Old 10-25-2013, 03:26 PM   #1465
Tarheel Mom
Mouseketeer

Hey Andre, could you tell me what area the live feed camera was in when you so generously provided the footage during your vacation? (You may have already shared and I missed it.) Thanks
11/18/11 - 11/26/11 Off Site - Kissimmee, FL
11/20/13 - 11/30/13 - POR/Royal Guest Room
9/25/14 - 10/4/14 - Coronado Springs

Old 10-25-2013, 03:27 PM   #1466
ColonelHathi
Mouseketeer

Just checked into POR today and LOVE it! We're in AB, bldg 28, GV - SO much nicer than 6A Ranchos at CSR, which we also like but MAN, nothing like POR! So relaxing! Just wish the hot tub was bigger like CSR, then it would be perfect! If it weren't for FD with CSR we would have been here the entire stay (sad), but glad we got a chance to compare too.

Thanks so much Andre and Venomhatch! We've been planning this trip for like 2+ years and the info you both provide is invaluable!

CSR October 2013, POR October 2013
Jungle Cruise Skipper ~ Spring CP, Summer Seasonal circa 1995

Last edited by ColonelHathi; 10-29-2013 at 02:38 PM.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:45 PM   #1467
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrj View Post
Which 3rd floor rooms are corner rooms, with the second window?
None as far as I know - or at least none really worth having (I can't remember if the 'end of block' corner rooms even have dual windows, but if they do then they just look out at a wall or the stairwell). You need an 'outer-facing' corner if you want two nice window views, which means avoiding that central section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel Mom View Post
Hey Andre, could you tell me what area the live feed camera was in when you so generously provided the footage during your vacation? (You may have already shared and I missed it.) Thanks
The one in August was a river view room on one of the wing ends in Magnolia Terrace (8741), the one in February was a Royal Room in the same sort of location in Oak Manor (9239).

Andre

Old 10-25-2013, 03:55 PM   #1468
jrj

Ohhhh ok... Got it... I'll go back to the map and see if I can find an 'outer facing' corner

Wish me luck

Quote:
None as far as I know - or at least none really worth having (I can't remember if the 'end of block' corner rooms even have dual windows, but if they do then they just look out at a wall or the stairwell). You need an 'outer-facing' corner if you want two nice window views, which means avoiding that central section.

Andre

Old 10-25-2013, 05:43 PM   #1469
Maraena
Mouseketeer

All I want for Christmas is a king-sized bed - or please downgrade me!

I recall seeing a post from a family that, due to FD pin availability, could only book a royal room rather than preferred. They were asking if it was possible to request a different room upon check-in than what they'd booked. While I tried to watch for responses, I don't recall seeing any.

Would it be of any benefit to beg for a downgrade in the fax? While a royal room might be up most folks alley (particularly if they have kids), my DH and I are going alone. I'm sure the RR atmosphere will be lovely and I'd enjoy it but not as much as a king-sized bed.

You see, I suffer from the serious malady of 'only being allowed a width of 10 inches' in a bed. My husband can and will take the remaining 60-inches. (The dogs occupy the remaining 6 inches.) Now that isn't so bad when it's a king-sized bed but shrinks proportionately in a queen sized bed that is only 60-inches wide. Yes folks, that puts me on the floor and makes me a grumpy pants. Certainly, we could make use of both beds but that raises the second issue.

I am one of many females who has the ability to stop all blood flow to her extremities upon seasonal change. In other words, I have those icy cold hands of doom. I'm afforded one joy in life that helps keep the bed hog in line and show that he's both loved and needed. In the winter time, my extremities are "cold enough to suck the life from stone" according to my husband. : If I'm forced into a separate bed or, in extreme conditions onto the floor, I won't be able to surprise my DH with those 'soul sucking icy minions' also known as my fingers. Without that ability, my smile just isn't so bright or my step so light. Plus, if my husband doesn't get his nightly exposure to ice-cold fingers and toes, he won't know it's winter. If he doesn't know it's winter, Christmas can't come. Calamity of calamities!

In all seriousness, though, is there a way to beg for a downgrade? I'd far rather some family who will appreciate the room gets it and I'd much rather have the human furnace nearby, particularly in light of the loss of heavier blankets. If it's not possible, it won't ruin my trip and I'll certainly restrain myself from warming my hands on the nearest guest unless said guest happens to be bound to me for better or worse...
Old 10-25-2013, 05:57 PM   #1470
Tarheel Mom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
The one in August was a river view room on one of the wing ends in Magnolia Terrace (8741), the one in February was a Royal Room in the same sort of location in Oak Manor (9239).

Andre
This is the one I was talking about ~ I missed the February one. Thanks for the info
11/18/11 - 11/26/11 Off Site - Kissimmee, FL
11/20/13 - 11/30/13 - POR/Royal Guest Room
9/25/14 - 10/4/14 - Coronado Springs

Closed Thread

Tags
faq, por, port orleans riverside

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: