Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 11:34 AM   #1441
titansgal
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamseeker9 View Post
I was listening to a WDW Today podcast, comparing the different moderate resorts - I think they've pretty much swayed me to stay at POR over POFQ. I have a few questions. I really like the Magnolia rooms more than AB. I'll request those rooms, but what's the likelihood of getting that request? I'm going late September 2014, and it's also going to be my birthday. Also, I was wondering for the quiet pools, are they really that quiet? I'd think that most kids would go to the main pool and not use the quiet pools. Thanks for the help! I'm excited to try out POR and learn more about it here!
We used the quiet pool two nights because it was closer to our RGR. Since the slides and water features turn off at I think 8:00 each night, the quiet pool was no different than the main pool for swimming after a day in the parks. There were maybe 15 people there....both in and out of the pool.

June 1998 Disneymoon at CBR, Sept 2000 ASMu, Aug 2005 ASMu, Sept 2007 Pop, Sept 2008 ASMo, Sept 2009 Pop, Oct 2010 Pop, Mar 2012 Disneyland, Oct 2011 Pop, Dec 2011 CBR, Mar 2012 ASMu, Oct 2012 ASSp, Oct 2013 POR, June 2014 Disney Dream, Oct 2014 Disneyland
Old 10-25-2013, 11:46 AM   #1442
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by titansgal View Post
There is a small hot tub. Kids are allowed to use it, which is somewhat bad for the adults.
The rules say no kids under 12 without adult supervision, but since when has that made a difference for some parents? To be honest it's rather irresponsible to let very young children sue hot tubs anyway as they can't temperature-regulate as well as adults.

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-25-2013, 11:49 AM   #1443
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity
I got carted off in the meat wagon

Location: Originally from Newport News, VA but Home is Kissimmee, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by titansgal View Post
There is a small hot tub. Kids are allowed to use it, which is somewhat bad for the adults. When we were there a few weeks ago there were two different times my hubby went to get in, but couldn't because it was full of kids who were treating it more like a kiddie pool. There was a lot of splashing which took away from the relaxing aspect . However, the main pool and slide more than made up for it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley View Post
The rules say no kids under 12 without adult supervision, but since when has that made a difference for some parents?

Andre
Yeah that is the truth! We never get a chance to use it because of it always seeming to have kids in it even without supervision as stated below your comment in Andre's Post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookgirl View Post
Less than 24 hours and I am officially on vacation and I'll be on my way to POR.
Yay!!!!
Old 10-25-2013, 11:54 AM   #1444
1GR8DISNEYFAN
Mouseketeer

We will be arriving in 3 weeks (Woo Hoo ). We are hoping to use the hot tub in the evening after returning from the parks. Does anyone know how late it stays open?
Grew up going to Disneyland at least once a year, Disneyland AP holder since 1996, 1989 WDW off site, 2004 Yaght Club, 2006 Poly, 2008 Poly, 2011 Bonnett Creek, 2012 ASMO, 2013 Port Orleans Riverside, 2014 ASMU

Old 10-25-2013, 12:04 PM   #1445
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1GR8DISNEYFAN View Post
We will be arriving in 3 weeks (Woo Hoo ). We are hoping to use the hot tub in the evening after returning from the parks. Does anyone know how late it stays open?
I believe it is 24hrs. But after the lifeguards go home its at your own risk.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:08 PM   #1446
1GR8DISNEYFAN
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomhatch View Post
I believe it is 24hrs. But after the lifeguards go home its at your own risk.
Oh that would be wonderful! Thank you for the info!
Grew up going to Disneyland at least once a year, Disneyland AP holder since 1996, 1989 WDW off site, 2004 Yaght Club, 2006 Poly, 2008 Poly, 2011 Bonnett Creek, 2012 ASMO, 2013 Port Orleans Riverside, 2014 ASMU

Old 10-25-2013, 12:17 PM   #1447
Sydnerella
enough is as good as a feast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamseeker9 View Post
I was listening to a WDW Today podcast, comparing the different moderate resorts - I think they've pretty much swayed me to stay at POR over POFQ.

I have a few questions. I really like the Magnolia rooms more than AB. I'll request those rooms, but what's the likelihood of getting that request? I'm going late September 2014, and it's also going to be my birthday.

Also, I was wondering for the quiet pools, are they really that quiet? I'd think that most kids would go to the main pool and not use the quiet pools.

Thanks for the help! I'm excited to try out POR and learn more about it here!
I faxed an enthusiastic and Venomhatch approved request for:
1. Connecting rooms
2. Mansion
3. Second Floor

I thought it was a slam dunk... but we got no connecting rooms, Alligator Bayou 1st floor...

However, when my DFIL checked in before we arrived, he knew the requests I made and the check-in CM was able to get us rooms next door but not connecting in Magnolia Terrace on the 2nd floor. So we were very pleased. Now the buses are another thing...

But anyway - the moral of my experience is DO NOT GIVE UP or be afraid to ask again at check-in

Have Fun!

Sydnerella's Mama

October 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside, March 2012 - Port Orleans French Quarter, February 2011 -Carribean Beach, March 2010 - VRBO House, April 2008 - VRBO House, March 2006 - Celebration
Old 10-25-2013, 12:18 PM   #1448
Tarheel Mom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1GR8DISNEYFAN View Post
Oh that would be wonderful! Thank you for the info!
In the picture Andre posted it says "Spa Hours 7:00 am - Midnight". Hope you have a great trip ~ we'll be arriving right after you on the 20th
11/18/11 - 11/26/11 Off Site - Kissimmee, FL
11/20/13 - 11/30/13 - POR/Royal Guest Room
9/25/14 - 10/4/14 - Coronado Springs
9/25/15 - 10/3/15 - Coronado Springs

Old 10-25-2013, 12:20 PM   #1449
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydnerella View Post
I faxed an enthusiastic and Venomhatch approved request for:
1. Connecting rooms
2. Mansion
3. Second Floor

I thought it was a slam dunk... but we got no connecting rooms, Alligator Bayou 1st floor...

However, when my DFIL checked in before we arrived, he knew the requests I made and the check-in CM was able to get us rooms next door but not connecting in Magnolia Terrace on the 2nd floor. So we were very pleased. Now the buses are another thing...

But anyway - the moral of my experience is DO NOT GIVE UP or be afraid to ask again at check-in

Have Fun!

Sydnerella's Mama
I told you to get in touch with me if they didn't help you out. You were one in 100 guests I have checked in that was like this. I tried to help. I have all the right means to double check on requests and faxes if guests need to. So by all means I welcome guests to contact me.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:32 PM   #1450
ny3boys
Mouseketeer

Thank you! I would never let them in unsupervised! My 9.5 year old is super skinny and gets cold fast, even in heated pools. But he LOVES hot tubs, so if he wasn't allowed in I wanted to prepare him ahead of time.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:35 PM   #1451
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny3boys View Post
Thank you! I would never let them in unsupervised! My 9.5 year old is super skinny and gets cold fast, even in heated pools. But he LOVES hot tubs, so if he wasn't allowed in I wanted to prepare him ahead of time.
I believe it is more of a suggestion then rule. But more or less to get Disney out of the loop if something happened. Probably be something like, "Well we had a sign up," or something like that. But I can imagine if you or someone in your family were around her would be fine.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:47 PM   #1452
Sydnerella
enough is as good as a feast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomhatch View Post
I told you to get in touch with me if they didn't help you out. You were one in 100 guests I have checked in that was like this. I tried to help. I have all the right means to double check on requests and faxes if guests need to. So by all means I welcome guests to contact me.
No worries, I was just letting the OP know that even if she gets put in AB after making a request for Mansions to keep trying at check-in as my FIL did. Don't give up! I appreciated you and Andre's help and will place a request again when we are lucky enough to go back

Now, can you do anything to improve the bus service or the freezing temps on the buses after 9pm? LOL!

October 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside, March 2012 - Port Orleans French Quarter, February 2011 -Carribean Beach, March 2010 - VRBO House, April 2008 - VRBO House, March 2006 - Celebration
Old 10-25-2013, 12:53 PM   #1453
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity

Quote:
No worries, I was just letting the OP know that even if she gets put in AB after making a request for Mansions to keep trying at check-in as my FIL did. Don't give up! I appreciated you and Andre's help and will place a request again when we are lucky enough to go back

Now, can you do anything to improve the bus service or the freezing temps on the buses after 9pm? LOL!
Sure, let me head on over to the thermostat and turn it up a bit after 9pm for you. Lol. I am sure you have thought about this, but sometimes you can hop a bus to POFQ if it is a separate bus station at the park and use it to get that much closer a lil sooner. Then either hop the boat or walk over to POR. It isn't that far. Shoot you could always go to Bell services and tell them you thought you were going to POR on the bus and they might just borrow a Motor Pool car to take you over to POR. Wait I didn't say that. lol.
Old 10-25-2013, 01:05 PM   #1454
OneBadApple
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Have Fun!

Sydnerella's Mama
I can vouch for that. Last year at CBR I didn't get my #1 request when we checked it. I asked the CM nicely if there was anything she could do and she made a phone call and we got moved to our perfect room location.
Old 10-25-2013, 01:08 PM   #1455
reader562
Mouseketeer

Finally doing the double-digit dance!! 99 days!! Checking in on 2/1!! I've been planning since March and it finally seems to be getting closer.
I don't post much here as I've been reading this thread and all my possible questions have been answered!
Thanks especially to Andre and Venom for your wonderful knowledge!
Closed Thread

Tags
faq, por, port orleans riverside

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: