Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 05:12 PM   #1411
sunset7132
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowstonetim View Post

We were nervous, too, but it worked really well. We did not use the buses because we had a car and I was able to disassemble and reassemble it easily and they let us park close. But I have read that bus drivers are very kind and accomodating. Everyone else we dealt with at resorts, in all the parks, on various rides, and on boats, were wonderful. They never gave us even a hint that we were a problem. They knew just what to do and were kind.

Yes, there are no brakes, but when you release the throttle it brakes. It will stop quickly. In fact, you should release the throttle slowly.

As stated the biggest issue was that people treat you as if you can move like they can, so they often cut in front. My wife just had to be careful, and I ran point often times. But she got use to it after a day and we did fine. It was great to get around the resort and the parks. And we could carry all we wanted in the baskets. Plugged it in each night and it lasted all day.

Again, Disney did a great job in handling the scooter wherever we went.

P.S. We used Walker Mobility and got a very cheap price, $20 a day, because we picked it up. Go to the DISabilities forum and there is a tons of info in a sticky including the approved by Disney rental companies and the companies that DIS'ers recommend.

My wife walked a little bit here and there, and was so glad to have the scooter because we covered so many miles!
I can walk a little bit. I am up to half mile in physical therapy. This is lousy I have been running 12 miles at least a week for 22 years until this darn surgery
Old 10-24-2013, 05:15 PM   #1412
emilyhuff
Mouseketeer

I really really thought we were gonna get some pixie dust on this trip but no such luck (yet) we sent in a simple fax requesting close to the main lobby and south depot I didn't think that was a lot especially since we got a king size room. We are allllll the way in the back of building 26, about a ten minute walk to the main bldg which is fine but we also have no fridge to drink cold water from. I'm pretty bummed with Disney today. We also have no bedspread so I will likely freeze tonight but it is what it is. I am in Disney so I can't be discouraged for long.

It's also like a cool 65 out right now! Why why why
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-24-2013, 05:45 PM   #1413
pxedst21
Earning My Ears

Just a comment on the topic of doing away with the KTTW cards....we were just there the last week of September and tried to stick primarily with the MB's and not the KTTW. That said-there were three different occasions at table dinners where the RFID reader wasn't working right with the bands and the CM asked us for our cards to run instead because they were having so much trouble with them. That was probably the only 3 times we used our cards the whole week; but it was nice to have the backup there when it did have reader issues.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:11 PM   #1414
Yellowstonetim
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset7132 View Post
Ty we got one coming from apple and we are renting a car to so I don't have to get it on a bus . I don't like the no brake thing but ill practice at pofq
Quote:
I can walk a little bit. I am up to half mile in physical therapy. This is lousy I have been running 12 miles at least a week for 22 years until this darn surgery
It really is as good as a brake. The electric motor is so "tight", that it stops the scooter very quickly. They don't have separate brakes because there is no need.

The only issue about putting the scooter in a car is taking it apart and lifting the bigger pieces. It wasn't bad to me. Patty never had problems walking before until bone spurs and this surgery. Feet heal very slowly.

If you can walk a little it will make things much easier because you'll be able to transfer to rides and walk through short lines.

Hope you have a great time!

"Remember, no matter where you go... there you are!" Buckaroo Banzai

1980 - Disneyland for 1 day while in the US Navy
1981-1983 Several 1 day visits while living in Orlando
1984- 1996 Several one and two day visits while visiting family
2000 January - 4 Nights, 5 Days - All Star Movies
2012 January - 5 Nights, 6 Days - Caribbean Beach
2013 September - 9 Nights, 10 days - Port Orleans Riverside Royal Room.
2014 November - ?
Old 10-24-2013, 06:48 PM   #1415
sunset7132
DIS Veteran

Quote:

It really is as good as a brake. The electric motor is so "tight", that it stops the scooter very quickly. They don't have separate brakes because there is no need.

The only issue about putting the scooter in a car is taking it apart and lifting the bigger pieces. It wasn't bad to me. Patty never had problems walking before until bone spurs and this surgery. Feet heal very slowly.

If you can walk a little it will make things much easier because you'll be able to transfer to rides and walk through short lines.

i can walk a little bit ,enough to transfer to rides, same type of thing . The scooter company said its easy to disassemble and put into the trunk they said its 4 pieces
Old 10-24-2013, 06:52 PM   #1416
sunset7132
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Ty for all your info with your experience as a first time scooter husband of.A First time scooter wife lol. Stinks this happened or A 6000 dollar disney vacation.. Everything happens for a reason I must believe.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:40 PM   #1417
castledweller407
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveMMouse View Post
I've requested a VIP cleaning twice. Both times I've just had my TA put in a request for it when my room package was reserved, I did not have to contact anyone special about it. When staying at POR and faxing in a room request, I also repeat the request for the VIP cleaning on that fax.
THANK YOU! I had never known this was an option and never thought to ask. I will have it added to our room reservation and put it on my fax.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:52 PM   #1418
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity
I got carted off in the meat wagon

Location: Originally from Newport News, VA but Home is Kissimmee, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by castledweller407 View Post
THANK YOU! I had never known this was an option and never thought to ask. I will have it added to our room reservation and put it on my fax.
Yes Disney understands that there are needs for such a service.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:56 PM   #1419
MamaMeggie
Earning My Ears

So Excited!

Wow, finally made it through all the posts in this thread! I just booked POR for our May trip - it will be for my daughter's 5th birthday and the first time at WDW for everyone in the family except me. And I haven't been in more than 20 years! SO excited - I don't know how I'm going to keep this secret for more than 6 months.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:57 PM   #1420
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity
I got carted off in the meat wagon

Location: Originally from Newport News, VA but Home is Kissimmee, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaMeggie View Post
Wow, finally made it through all the posts in this thread! I just booked POR for our May trip - it will be for my daughter's 5th birthday and the first time at WDW for everyone in the family except me. And I haven't been in more than 20 years! SO excited - I don't know how I'm going to keep this secret for more than 6 months.
Well Welcome to the POR Thread! It is a very hard surprise to keep secret, I know!
Old 10-24-2013, 09:27 PM   #1421
dreamseeker9
Mouseketeer

Question

I stayed at POFQ in 2000 with 2 other adults and really loved the feel of the resort. I am now considering if I want to stay at POR or again at POFQ. I may be doing a solo trip, or I may have up to 3 other adults in the room with me - this is for September 2014.

Important to me:
- Good pool for sunning and swimming
- Pool bar
- Quiet room
- Convenient food
- Not waiting forever for a bus to the parks

Not important to me:
- walking distance from my room to food court or bus stop
- room view

Which resort do you think I should choose?

This thread is so helpful, thank you to all for the great tips and reports!

My Disney Trips:
Apr. 1980 - WDW, Dec. 1982 - WDW, 1986 - WDW, Feb. 1990 - WDW, Mar. 1997 - WDW - ASMu
Nov. 2000 - WDW - PO (French Quarter before it was FQ), Nov. 2012 - WDW - AOA- Finding Nemo suite (TR here)
Dec. 3, 2013 - Disneyland
March-April 2014 - WDW - CSR
Old 10-24-2013, 09:45 PM   #1422
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilyhuff View Post
We are allllll the way in the back of building 26, about a ten minute walk to the main bldg which is fine but we also have no fridge to drink cold water from. I'm pretty bummed with Disney today. We also have no bedspread so I will likely freeze tonight but it is what it is. I am in Disney so I can't be discouraged for long.

It's also like a cool 65 out right now! Why why why
Have you talked to the front desk about the issues?

Quote:
But perhaps not AS fast as a brake would, according to my friends who use scooters. Which is why it's so hard when people cut in front. It doesn't stop on a dime.

Quote:
THERE IS NO BRAKES ?
I didn't mean that you can't stop it or to scare you. I literally meant there are no brakes, you stop it by not accelerating anymore. Instead of Stop or Go, it's Go or Stop Going.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
Old 10-24-2013, 09:49 PM   #1423
Mom2G
Earning My Ears

Does anyone know if the new fridges have a small freezer compartment?
Old 10-24-2013, 09:58 PM   #1424
Patience
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2G View Post
Does anyone know if the new fridges have a small freezer compartment?
The refrigerator they brought us in September had a very small freezer compartment.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:58 AM   #1425
POROct2013
Mouseketeer

We are here now and loving it! Our RGR didn't have bedspreads but my family in another room did. It definitely takes away from the overall theme and decor without them.

The resort is lovely, CMs are nice and the pools look great (just a bit too cold for us to swim yesterday and it was closed for maintenance when we would have wanted to anyways).

Sadly, we witnessed some people stealing in the store so we reported it to the staff. I was shocked at how much these people took. Sad.

Our kids love it the entire experience so far (as do we)!!!
Closed Thread

Tags
faq, por, port orleans riverside

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: