Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 02:31 AM   #1276
Patience
DIS Veteran

In looking at the pics of the Royal Room with the triple white sheeting, I think the rest of the room decor is too dark for it to look right, even if they put a bed scarf at the foot of the bed. We stayed in a RR in September and liked it but I thought the room was a little dark due to the dark colors in the room and the direction our room faced (interior courtyard). The white bedding looks better in rooms with lighter colored decor, I think. The bedding may look ok in the regular mansions rooms once they get a bed scarf on the bed for color.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:55 AM   #1277
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmon54 View Post
Thought I wouldn't mind the sheet look but it is awful, especially in the Royal rooms- the decorator at Disney who made that call should be fired.
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstwdw View Post
so disappointing-looks beyond horrible and unfinished. Seems like a waste to refurb all those rooms within the past year and then take away all the bedspreads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstage_Gal View Post
I didn't say it was generic for all Resorts. For example, All Star is different (old bedspread pattern) from Coronado. I don't know what it will look like at Port, but it's not the same for all Resorts.
Take a deep breath, Andre
Trying to take a deep breath.... and relax...

If the new top bedding isn't finished yet and will eventually be designed to match with the room decor and colouring then I will have absolutely no problems with it; I'm in the "throw the heavy bedspread on the floor overnight" camp too, it's just too hot in Florida for so many thick layers. And I can appreciate the cleanliness issues too.

However, as the look stands at the moment (with or without a trendy strip of coloured material draped over the end of the bed) I really think that stark white completely detracts from the overall look and theme of the room. Pure white should really never be a part of any artistic palette.

I'm reminded of Disney Imagineering's own guru of colour, Disney Legend John Hench, who was getting exasperated with the CEO of United Technologies (the original sponsor of EPCOT Center's The Living Seas) who wanted the exterior of the new attraction to be "... White. Bright White. Blindingly White.". John got so frustrated at this lack of artistic understanding and design subtlety that he replied bluntly, "I have 33 different shades of white in my palette. Which is your personal favorite?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyKat View Post
Thanks for the pictures! I understand the reason behind the new bedding. But what's the point in replacing the pictures?
The reasoning was an artwork policy one. There has been a long established Disney tradition that artwork should never imply that characters from different eras/countries/stories/etc can exist together, or should be shown as actively interacting with each other. For example Belle from middle-ages France, Tiana from 20th Century New Orleans, Jasmine from ancient middle-eastern culture, etc. None of these should ever exist within the same image framework. I assume the Port Orleans building backgrounds (which I loved too) met with the same resistance; only Tiana really fits with that theme, and even then she should really be in French Quarter rather than Riverside.

To be honest, the first time I was told the storyline of the Royal Guest Rooms (the whole "Tiana invites her other princess friends to stay and they leave gifts" concept, fun though it is) I wondered how the heck it ever got approved beyond the drawing board stage in the first place. I suspect it got swept along with the whole "Disney Princess" (TM)(R)(C) franchise bandwagon, which itself broke a ton of old-school character integrity guidelines.

I also think I prefer the more traditional rendering style too, I agree that the new 3D look artwork just doesn't seem to be quite so honest to the original source material. It's also a shame that the princes were omitted from the new artwork, as that helped reinforce the 'Royal' element and distance the theming from the general consensus that these were merely "princess" rooms.

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14

Last edited by andrewilley; 10-22-2013 at 04:08 AM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-22-2013, 02:59 AM   #1278
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksboyd20 View Post
I have a Garden View Royal Room booked for Jan 2-7. If I upgrade to a River View, will it be a shorter walk to the main pool, café, busses?
Generally speaking, yes.

However you need to be aware that there are still quite a few Garden View rooms which could be closer to the main areas than some of the River View rooms are. However River View does give you the best chances from those two types (apart from Preferred Location of course, which is normally cheaper than River View - have you considered that option?)

Andre

Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
Old 10-22-2013, 04:20 AM   #1279
Patience
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley View Post
It's also a shame that the princes were omitted from the new artwork, as that helped reinforce the 'Royal' element and distance the theming from the general consensus that these were merely "princess" rooms.

Andre
I meant to mention this when we returned from our stay at POR in September. The silhouettes of the princes were in our Royal Room. We had the new princess portraits and the 3D picture of Tiana but we also had the princes. They were hung above the table and chairs.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:06 AM   #1280
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patience View Post
I meant to mention this when we returned from our stay at POR in September. The silhouettes of the princes were in our Royal Room. We had the new princess portraits and the 3D picture of Tiana but we also had the princes. They were hung above the table and chairs.
The prince silhouettes on the pennants have been around since the Royal Rooms first opened, but they are rather more subtle designs than the main artwork. I have both versions as panoramas on my site for comparison by the way, at: http://www.portorleans.org/panoramas-rooms.php.

I guess the bedding changes mean that I'll have to shoot all of the panoramas again on my next trip too. That last one took ages to composite and colour balance too.

Andre

Old 10-22-2013, 07:06 AM   #1281
harmon54
Mouseketeer

Anyone know about blankets being available? Thanks!
Old 10-22-2013, 07:29 AM   #1282
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmon54 View Post
Anyone know about blankets being available? Thanks!
Read back over the last 12 pages, lots of discussion on the subject.

Andre

Old 10-22-2013, 07:54 AM   #1283
Summ97
Earning My Ears

8:00 AM Dining Reservations

We're staying at POR in February and have early dining reservations. If buses only begin running an hour before the parks open (9:00 am). Will we need to take a taxi to make our reservations?

On a related note, do you know what taxi rates are from POR to the different parks?

Thanks!
Old 10-22-2013, 07:59 AM   #1284
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity
I got carted off in the meat wagon

Location: Originally from Newport News, VA but Home is Kissimmee, FL

Good morning POR FANS!!! Here some morning Magic coming you and hoping your day goes as well as it could!
Old 10-22-2013, 08:09 AM   #1285
Tarheel Mom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomhatch View Post
Good morning POR FANS!!! Here some morning Magic coming you and hoping your day goes as well as it could!
Good morning to you too!

So excited this morning ~ our magic bands have shipped and should arrive today.
11/18/11 - 11/26/11 Off Site - Kissimmee, FL
11/20/13 - 11/30/13 - POR/Royal Guest Room
9/18/14 - 9/27/14 - POR

Last edited by Tarheel Mom; 10-22-2013 at 08:15 AM.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:24 AM   #1286
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel Mom View Post
Good morning to you too!

So excited this morning ~ our magic bands have shipped and should arrive today.
Should post pics when you get them. I cant wait to see some custom ones.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:29 AM   #1287
Tarheel Mom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomhatch View Post
Should post pics when you get them. I cant wait to see some custom ones.
I will definitely do that this evening! I can't believe how fast they ship and arrive. Sunday was our last day to customize, they "made" and shipped them out yesterday (Next Day Air) and we get them today. Wonder how much that is costing Disney?
9/18/14 - 9/27/14 - POR

Old 10-22-2013, 08:32 AM   #1288
DisneyCayley
Earning My Ears

We check in tomorrow! Right now we are enjoying an oceanview in Daytona Beach and we will head over to Orlando this afternoon. Can't wait! White bedding, no fridge, oh well--We're at Disney!
Old 10-22-2013, 08:36 AM   #1289
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyCayley View Post
We check in tomorrow! Right now we are enjoying an oceanview in Daytona Beach and we will head over to Orlando this afternoon. Can't wait! White bedding, no fridge, oh well--We're at Disney!
The Fridge issue is almost resolved I believe. Yes there is a lot still to go, but we are working to resolve that as ones become available. We do have an emergency amount of them for Medical Needs only so if someone has medicine to keep cool then we will get one for them.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:59 AM   #1290
Tarheel Mom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyCayley View Post
What a great attitude ~ I've got to work on mine, lol!!!! Hope you enjoy your stay, be sure to check in and let us know how it goes!
9/18/14 - 9/27/14 - POR

Closed Thread

Tags
faq, por, port orleans riverside

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: