Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 10:46 AM   #1171
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebug21 View Post
So happy to hear the big bedspreads will be gone. We immediately remove them and throw them in a closet. They just make my skin crawl knowing how dirty they are. We are staying in a royal room so I hope they have all been changed to the all white.
Would it help if they also took down all the themed curtains/drapes and installed blinds only, replaced all the fabric chair and other coverings with easy-to-wipe plastic, got rid of the themed carpet and put in vinyl floor covering instead which can be bleached every morning? And then perhaps just paint the whole room white so it is easier to check for possible mould too?

Just curious as to where you separate comfortable living from clinical sanitisation?

It's probably just my generation, but I find the modern obsession with over-sanitising everything, and the clever marketing of cleaning products, can actually end up being counter-productive as we start to get so used to a sterile world that our bodies lose their natural immunity and defences to the natural world around us.

Personally, I don't think I've even given a single thought as to whether the Port Orleans bedcovers have been deep-cleaned recently. I suppose I would have guessed at maybe every month or two (they are only decorative covers after all) but as I said I really hadn't given it any thought until now.

Andre
(I suspect not everyone will agree with my point of view on this one...)

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14

Last edited by andrewilley; 10-20-2013 at 11:04 AM.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:34 AM   #1172
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity
I got carted off in the meat wagon

Location: Originally from Newport News, VA but Home is Kissimmee, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley View Post
Are you feeling ok? I hope you have a better day from here out if it started of bad.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-20-2013, 11:47 AM   #1173
siskaren
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I totally agree with you, Andre. I am not happy about the themed bedspreads being removed. It just looks so plain and sterile with just sheets. And I can't imagine that the bedspreads get that dirty that washing them more than once a month or so is necessary. (Unless of course it's obvious that's something's been spilled on them.)
Old 10-20-2013, 11:59 AM   #1174
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity

Quote:
Originally Posted by siskaren View Post
I totally agree with you, Andre. I am not happy about the themed bedspreads being removed. It just looks so plain and sterile with just sheets. And I can't imagine that the bedspreads get that dirty that washing them more than once a month or so is necessary. (Unless of course it's obvious that's something's been spilled on them.)
I am confused. Did I miss something saying they are not putting them back in the rooms? I am for leaving the rooms themed. Wow someone needs to clear this up.
Old 10-20-2013, 12:08 PM   #1175
siskaren
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomhatch View Post
I am confused. Did I miss something saying they are not putting them back in the rooms? I am for leaving the rooms themed. Wow someone needs to clear this up.
Then why did they take them out?
Old 10-20-2013, 12:15 PM   #1176
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity

Quote:
Originally Posted by siskaren View Post
Then why did they take them out?
I don't know honestly. I only heard of a few missing. I was thinking they were washing them in shifts, grabbing certain floors or buildings and washing them then moving on to another area next.
Old 10-20-2013, 12:30 PM   #1177
Juniper13
Earning My Ears

Hi all!
My whole family is going to be staying at POR this December! So it's going to be my mom and dad, me and my DH, my sis, her DH, her twin 5yo DS, and her 2yo DS. The trip was booked thru a TA and each family has its own ressie.
I have a few questions to make sure I have everything covered.
1. I am assuming that my sisters family will automatically be in AB since there are 5 of them??
2. I am going to be contacting the TA to link our ressies together, so we are not spread out at different ends of the resort. Should I also ask them to add any room requests at this time? Dad need a fridge for insulin, also would be great to be close to bus pickups. I know I read what buildings are best...gotta go back and find it! Lol
3. I believe I read its best to do online checkin, but don't put any requests in at that time. But is recommended to fax resort a few days before?
4. If faxing room request a few days before and our ressies are linked just send 1 fax listing all the ressies???

I think that is all for now! Thanks in advance!! The boards have been so helpful!!!!!
Old 10-20-2013, 12:52 PM   #1178
princessanj
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Would it help if they also took down all the themed curtains/drapes and installed blinds only, replaced all the fabric chair and other coverings with easy-to-wipe plastic, got rid of the themed carpet and put in vinyl floor covering instead which can be bleached every morning? And then perhaps just paint the whole room white so it is easier to check for possible mould too? Just curious as to where you separate comfortable living from clinical sanitisation? It's probably just my generation, but I find the modern obsession with over-sanitising everything, and the clever marketing of cleaning products, can actually end up being counter-productive as we start to get so used to a sterile world that our bodies lose their natural immunity and defences to the natural world around us. Personally, I don't think I've even given a single thought as to whether the Port Orleans bedcovers have been deep-cleaned recently. I suppose I would have guessed at maybe every month or two (they are only decorative covers after all) but as I said I really hadn't given it any thought until now. Andre (I suspect not everyone will agree with my point of view on this one...)
Totally agree, Andre! I am 27 years old with two daughters and I was always taught that a little dirt won't hurt. I am not afraid of germs because they build our immunity systems. My girls are never sick and I think it's because we aren't constantly sanitizing. We do wash our hands but don't overdo it. Never even thought about the spreads until now, but I actually love how they make the room look. Our first trip to POR is in March and I told my husband I am kind of upset to see them go before we get to see them but he reminded me that we will be in Disney and our beds don't matter as long as we have somewhere to sleep lol
Old 10-20-2013, 01:13 PM   #1179
LOVEMY3KIDDOS
DIS Veteran

Just want to come on here quick with my single digit dance!!! In 9 days we will be at POR!!!

: jumping2:

Wanna join??!!

Check out my etsy shop: WallScraps for handmade personalized Disney autograph books, countdowns and scrapbooks!
Old 10-20-2013, 01:17 PM   #1180
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

I'm not sure it's really a cleaning thing or a germ thing with bedspreads. Rather its a "WHAT is on the bedspreads, that people sit on and change socks on while getting ready for their day, and sleep on and eh-em on etc etc" thing. My son kept nearly sitting on the spread with his bare bum in the mornings, or leaning forward on the bed while pulling on pajama pants. That's ick for him and ick for future people after we checked out.

I wish they could do the lovely triple sheeting but with themed sheets. Just put the same rich design on a sheet and use that instead of plain white.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
Old 10-20-2013, 02:19 PM   #1181
sunset7132
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEMY3KIDDOS View Post
Just want to come on here quick with my single digit dance!!! In 9 days we will be at POR!!!

: jumping2:

Wanna join??!!
Ill join with my under 20 day dance lol
Old 10-20-2013, 02:27 PM   #1182
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juniper13 View Post
Hi all!
My whole family is going to be staying at POR this December! So it's going to be my mom and dad, me and my DH, my sis, her DH, her twin 5yo DS, and her 2yo DS. The trip was booked thru a TA and each family has its own ressie.
I have a few questions to make sure I have everything covered.
1. I am assuming that my sisters family will automatically be in AB since there are 5 of them??
2. I am going to be contacting the TA to link our ressies together, so we are not spread out at different ends of the resort. Should I also ask them to add any room requests at this time? Dad need a fridge for insulin, also would be great to be close to bus pickups. I know I read what buildings are best...gotta go back and find it! Lol
3. I believe I read its best to do online checkin, but don't put any requests in at that time. But is recommended to fax resort a few days before?
4. If faxing room request a few days before and our ressies are linked just send 1 fax listing all the ressies???

I think that is all for now! Thanks in advance!! The boards have been so helpful!!!!!
Congratulations on your trip!

1. Yes, if the youngest is over 3.
2. You may in fact ask them to add your requests, but if you were to get more specific then you may want to fax in your requests via the template and info in my fax template thread.
3. You can do online check in if you'd like sometimes it has a faster pace through check in, sometimes it doesn't. But I would not do any requests on your check in because it could mess with anything you ask for in fax or over your TA. Faxes are best sent in 5-7 days out.
4. I would combine and mention both reservations in your fax and do one fax to cover both. It has a better chance of being understood and carried out.
Old 10-20-2013, 03:18 PM   #1183
emsmommy323
Mouseketeer

27 days!!!! Woohoo! Anyway, I have done online check-in for our reservations but I can't do my IL's, even though they are linked. Is there any other way to do this, e.g., can I call and check-in? I also don't think I have any special requests on our reservations because when I changed our reservation from CBR to POR I had to do it so quick that I didn't give any special instructions. I transferred the reservation back to my T.A. so can I call back and add any special information now? Like I'd like a nearby room with IL's and it's going to be my dd's 10th birthday while we are there. Or should I just wait and do it all with a fax?
Old 10-20-2013, 03:45 PM   #1184
1GR8DISNEYFAN
Mouseketeer

I do everything I can to be clean, and I think it is important to wash hands frequently and I believe in sanitizing hard surfaces in your room when beginning your resort stay, but if you think about it too much you will drive yourself crazy. When you think about where the pair of pants you put on in the morning sits throughout the day, (work, school, train, bus, restaurant, movie theater, etc.), on seats shared by thousands of other people, and then you come home and sit on your upholstered sofa. Now I would never sit on my bed in those same clothes, but in the evening I may put on my pjs and lay on my couch and watch tv or a movie, and then what happens next, I crawl into my nice clean bedding covered with germs from my couch. Or think about where your shoes have been all day, and unless you take your shoes off before entering your home, a little bit of everywhere you have been during the day comes into your home with you. And for those of you with young children and there little bare bottoms, how many times have they just gotten out of the bath, you wrap them in a towel and they run in and sit on the furniture or the carpet. I could go on and on, but as I said before, you could really drive yourself crazy if you obsess over it, because there are germs everywhere. It is really gross if you think about it. But it's life, and I choose to not be paranoid about it. Us humans have managed to survive all these years with germs, but I think it has become more of mental issue. For example, I do pull the heavy bed spread down in the resort room and do not use for sleeping because once you have seen those 2020 episodes where they use the black light to show bodily fluids left on the spreads, it kind of sticks with you. But I do enjoy the theming and hate to see them go.. It's just one more step into a sterile white world. And don't get me started on the bath towel! Using the same bath towel that hundreds of strangers have used before you is also gross if you think about it. We just have to hope they are laundered and sanitized properly. You can see I have given it a lot of thought, but I just can't dwell on it or else I wouldn't be able to enjoy anything. At least you can take comfort in knowing that Disney Resorts are mostly visited by families and not frequented by prostitutes and drug addicts. Sorry to ramble on, but it's just MHO.
Grew up going to Disneyland at least once a year, Disneyland AP holder since 1996, 1989 WDW off site, 2004 Yaght Club, 2006 Poly, 2008 Poly, 2011 Bonnett Creek, 2012 ASMO, 2013 Port Orleans Riverside, 2014 ASMU

Old 10-20-2013, 03:45 PM   #1185
Juniper13
Earning My Ears

Thanks Venomhatch!!
The youngest is actually going to be about 2 & 1/2. Does that make a big difference?

We really don't have a preference whether we stay at AB or MB. Would be nice to know so we can focus our room requests.

Subscribed to the fax thread as well. Again thank you!!
Closed Thread

Tags
faq, por, port orleans riverside

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: