Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10-19-2013, 09:01 AM   #1141
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity
I got carted off in the meat wagon
 
Venomhatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Originally from Newport News, VA but Home is Kissimmee, FL
Posts: 4,776

Good Saturday morning to all POR guests future and present. Hope everyone has a truly magical day!
Venomhatch is online now  
Old 10-19-2013, 10:23 AM   #1142
bookgirl
I don't eat onions-they squelch when you bite into them
I don't eat raisins-they look like dried up bugs
Can we say food issues?
 
bookgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: In a OK state
Posts: 6,063

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley View Post
Bit puzzled on this one, there have always been white sheets, but on top has been a pretty decorative bedspread cover? What is being reported for other room types is that the heavy decorative themed cover has been removed completely, and when you walk into the room all you see are plain white 'hospital look' bed sheets. The recent photo I've now seen of an Alligator Bayou room just looks completely lacklustre and unfinished (see https://www.facebook.com/#!/portorle...67378519952753).

When I first heard a change was on the cards a few months ago, I was hoping for new lighter-weight themed (or at least coloured) sheets, or at the very least a runner or "bed scarf" (that strip of decorative fabric which some hotels place along the foot of their beds in an attempt to look modern and trendy).

I have several visitors on my site who are planning to cancel or downgrade their Royal Room bookings if this new look is staying, as they say they are unhappy paying a hefty premium if the immersive decor details are being removed. Having seen the photos, I must admit that I find it hard to disagree with them.

One possible positive I saw in a post on my own site was that maybe they are planning to take the old covers and re-purpose them into bed scarves? The comment was that maybe they've got a bunch of little old ladies waiting with their sewing kits at the ready for the old comforters to arrive with them. LOL, we can hope anyway. I can't see why they wouldn't do that in small batches though, rather than desecrating the theming of all the rooms in one go.

I sent a quick email to the room inventory manager late last night, so hopefully we'll get an official answer on this soon.

Andre
I'm probably one of the few who find this to be an incentive to stay. I hate those heavy comforters and love the triple ply sheet/blanket/sheet configuration.

There's usually so much decor on the walls and art work that I find having that clean crisp look of fresh white sheets to be a great contrast to the pops of color from other areas.

Granted I haven't been to POR yet, but I know I would have prefered the white at POFQ where I've stayed before.

I do think that the AB rooms will need a bed scarf as then are more minimalist in decor, but I am very happy that they are making the switch and find it to be in line at many of the other resorts I have stayed at other than Disney.
__________________
DL 3/2000 OFFSITE WDW 1/2009 ASMu WDW 9/2011 BC&POFQ WDW/IOA 10/2012 AoA/POFQ/ASMu WDW 10/2013 POR WDW 3/2014 AllStarSports WDW 7/2014 Offsite AAU Nationals @ WWoS
UPCOMING: 10/14 F&W Festival (in planning) WL 1/15 AllStar Movies WDW/US

bookgirl is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 10-19-2013, 10:42 AM   #1143
LolaMouse
Earning My Ears
 
LolaMouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley View Post
Bit puzzled on this one, there have always been white sheets, but on top has been a pretty decorative bedspread cover? What is being reported for other room types is that the heavy decorative themed cover has been removed completely, and when you walk into the room all you see are plain white 'hospital look' bed sheets. The recent photo I've now seen of an Alligator Bayou room just looks completely lacklustre and unfinished (see https://www.facebook.com/#!/portorle...67378519952753). When I first heard a change was on the cards a few months ago, I was hoping for new lighter-weight themed (or at least coloured) sheets, or at the very least a runner or "bed scarf" (that strip of decorative fabric which some hotels place along the foot of their beds in an attempt to look modern and trendy). I have several visitors on my site who are planning to cancel or downgrade their Royal Room bookings if this new look is staying, as they say they are unhappy paying a hefty premium if the immersive decor details are being removed. Having seen the photos, I must admit that I find it hard to disagree with them. One possible positive I saw in a post on my own site was that maybe they are planning to take the old covers and re-purpose them into bed scarves? The comment was that maybe they've got a bunch of little old ladies waiting with their sewing kits at the ready for the old comforters to arrive with them. LOL, we can hope anyway. I can't see why they wouldn't do that in small batches though, rather than desecrating the theming of all the rooms in one go. I sent a quick email to the room inventory manager late last night, so hopefully we'll get an official answer on this soon. Andre
We stayed in AB and had the all-white bedding. The reason I liked it is that it looks like everything has to be washed between guests now, so you aren't sitting/laying on top of stuff other guests have used, as I believe the comforters aren't washed between guests? I might put my germ-phobia before aesthetics though The rest of the room is still cutely themed! And of course the alligator pillow is there for a pop of color
__________________
LolaMouse is offline  
Old 10-19-2013, 10:49 AM   #1144
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity
I got carted off in the meat wagon
 
Venomhatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Originally from Newport News, VA but Home is Kissimmee, FL
Posts: 4,776

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookgirl View Post
I'm probably one of the few who find this to be an incentive to stay. I hate those heavy comforters and love the triple ply sheet/blanket/sheet configuration.

There's usually so much decor on the walls and art work that I find having that clean crisp look of fresh white sheets to be a great contrast to the pops of color from other areas.

Granted I haven't been to POR yet, but I know I would have prefered the white at POFQ where I've stayed before.

I do think that the AB rooms will need a bed scarf as then are more minimalist in decor, but I am very happy that they are making the switch and find it to be in line at many of the other resorts I have stayed at other than Disney.
Ha we pulled our Royal heavy comforter off also. Even at the Poly they are the same. Stiff, heavy, and uncomfortable.
Venomhatch is online now  
Old 10-19-2013, 11:00 AM   #1145
bookgirl
I don't eat onions-they squelch when you bite into them
I don't eat raisins-they look like dried up bugs
Can we say food issues?
 
bookgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: In a OK state
Posts: 6,063

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomhatch View Post
Ha we pulled our Royal heavy comforter off also. Even at the Poly they are the same. Stiff, heavy, and uncomfortable.
Yep, very uncomfortable. I pull them off as well. and since you don't know that last time they have been washed, I refuse to put them on a table or chair that I will be using, so 80% of the time that means the floor (if there is a chair I won't use or an extra bed I'll put it there but mostly the floor), so I always feel bad for anyone who comes behind me because you know they do not wash the comforters.

Those little bedscarfs I just fold over to the side of the bed I'm not sleeping on, well unless some else in the bed doesn't like them either. Then it's the floor as well.

Sorry.
__________________
DL 3/2000 OFFSITE WDW 1/2009 ASMu WDW 9/2011 BC&POFQ WDW/IOA 10/2012 AoA/POFQ/ASMu WDW 10/2013 POR WDW 3/2014 AllStarSports WDW 7/2014 Offsite AAU Nationals @ WWoS
UPCOMING: 10/14 F&W Festival (in planning) WL 1/15 AllStar Movies WDW/US

bookgirl is offline  
Old 10-19-2013, 11:13 AM   #1146
hokiesweetie
Earning My Ears
 
hokiesweetie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Virginia Beach VA
Posts: 39

Just checked in to our flight, 24 hours we'll be on our way!!!
hokiesweetie is offline  
Old 10-19-2013, 11:40 AM   #1147
Yellowstonetim
DIS Veteran
 
Yellowstonetim's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Camp Hill, PA
Posts: 1,173

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookgirl View Post
Yep, very uncomfortable. I pull them off as well. and since you don't know that last time they have been washed, I refuse to put them on a table or chair that I will be using, so 80% of the time that means the floor (if there is a chair I won't use or an extra bed I'll put it there but mostly the floor), so I always feel bad for anyone who comes behind me because you know they do not wash the comforters.

Those little bedscarfs I just fold over to the side of the bed I'm not sleeping on, well unless some else in the bed doesn't like them either. Then it's the floor as well.

Sorry.
Good point. These rooms are slim on storage space as it is and those comforters are bulky. They go on the other bed or on the floor and either way they get in the way. Our housekeeping didn't put it back on after the second day, they folded it on the end of the bed we didn't use.

They need to go. They probably spend the vast majority of their time on the floor AND don't get washed.
__________________
I lift up my eyes to the hills - where does my help come from?
My help comes from the LORD, the Maker of heaven and earth. Psalm 121:1-2

"Remember, no matter where you go... there you are!" Buckaroo Banzai

1980 - Disneyland for 1 day while in the US Navy
1981-1983 Several 1 day visits while living in Orlando
1984- 1996 Several one and two day visits while visiting family
2000 January - 4 Nights, 5 Days - All Star Movies
2012 January - 5 Nights, 6 Days - Caribbean Beach
2013 September - 9 Nights, 10 days - Port Orleans Riverside Royal Room.
2014 November - ?
Yellowstonetim is offline  
Old 10-19-2013, 03:00 PM   #1148
mickey1968
Mouseketeer
 
mickey1968's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: OKC-Moore-Norman
Posts: 445

I really like the new style better. I found most of the bedspread designs a little tacky and dated to me. Next week will by first stay in AB but I didn't like the looks of the rooms at all until they changed away from the old quilt style to the new spreads. And a lot of the pics I have looked at for the Deluxes or DVC look like they were last updated in the 1980s or 90s. I think more people will like the new triple-sheeting style after they get some bed scarves and/or throw pillows on them for some color.
__________________
November 2014 - MVMCP and Universal Harry Potter,
All Stars Movies and Caribbean Beach!

May 2014 - Pop Century, F&G and SWW • Oct./Nov. 2013 - PORS, MNSSHP and F&W • Oct./Nov. 2012 - Pop Century, MNSSHP and F&W • May 2012 - Pop Century, SWW, F&G • Nov. 2011 - POFQ, MVMCP • June 2002 - off-site/conference • 1990s - several trips staying off-site; Uni 2x • 1991 - WDW College Program (Spring) • 1985 - First trip with parents at age 16 or 17


mickey1968 is offline  
Old 10-19-2013, 03:02 PM   #1149
wdwguy50
7 Decades of "Goofying" around with Disney!
 
wdwguy50's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Greensboro, NC
Posts: 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey1968 View Post
I really like the new style better. I found most of the bedspread designs a little tacky and dated to me. Next week will by first stay in AB but I didn't like the looks of the rooms at all until they changed away from the old quilt style to the new spreads. And a lot of the pics I have looked at for the Deluxes or DVC look like they were last updated in the 1980s or 90s. I think more people will like the new triple-sheeting style after they get some bed scarves and/or throw pillows on them for some color.
I agree 100%

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards °o°
__________________
7 Decades of "Goofying" Around
Disneyland - 57,58,60,67,06
WDW - Off site 73,83,88, 91, 04;CBR 99; POR 03, 13, 14 x 2; POFQ 12,13, POP 13, CSR 07
DCL Dream - Nov 11 (Make A Wish)
wdwguy50 is offline  
Old 10-19-2013, 03:40 PM   #1150
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity
I got carted off in the meat wagon
 
Venomhatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Originally from Newport News, VA but Home is Kissimmee, FL
Posts: 4,776

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey1968 View Post
I really like the new style better. I found most of the bedspread designs a little tacky and dated to me. Next week will by first stay in AB but I didn't like the looks of the rooms at all until they changed away from the old quilt style to the new spreads. And a lot of the pics I have looked at for the Deluxes or DVC look like they were last updated in the 1980s or 90s. I think more people will like the new triple-sheeting style after they get some bed scarves and/or throw pillows on them for some color.
Its nothing about the design f the print. But the material used! It just feels difficult to sleep in and as I have seen through my fiance's eyes now we just remove it when sleeping. The Deluxes are currently being updated also at the moment.
Venomhatch is online now  
Old 10-19-2013, 04:29 PM   #1151
WyoMickey
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowstonetim View Post
Could there be a temporary problem? A shortage of comforters? Maybe testing found some contaminated so they took them away, but not others? I guess we'll know when Andre gets an answer. I know I dislike big heavy comforters and they always end up on the floor.
I sure hope so, or it's time to get rid of the manager who has gone completely insane. It's not getting rid of the comforter that's the problem, but the theming. It now looks totally unthemed.
__________________
Trust in the Lord and lean not to your own understanding.




Last edited by WyoMickey; 10-19-2013 at 04:45 PM.
WyoMickey is offline  
Old 10-19-2013, 04:58 PM   #1152
4luv2cdisney
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 657

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley View Post
The on-going issues with the replacement of fridges at most Disney resorts due to safety concerns are sadly not quite behind us yet, at least not for all guests.

First the good news: If you are staying at Port Orleans French Quarter, you should now be OK. All rooms should now have working fridges installed, although staff do still need to do a 100% room audit next week to confirm that their inventory lists are fully correct. But there should no longer be any need to make special requests.

Port Orleans Riverside guests, however, are not going to be so lucky. There has been no improvement at POR over the last month or so, and the number of rooms with working fridges currently stands at around 40%. About half of these are needed to help satisfy guests with medical or other special requirements (including moving fridges around between guest stays) so the 'random chance' of you happening to get a working fridge is currently only about 20%.

Maintenance staff have now physically removed the old affected units (rather than leaving them in situ with a warning letter) but unfortunately the next batch of replacement fridges - which was originally hoped for around the start of November - is now looking to be nearer the end of the month. No confirmed dates are available yet, but as soon as I can let you know anything more specific I will post the information here.

Andre
I think I may just buy my own and bring it - just in case. Any way of finding out what size/type/brand would fit?

This will be my inlaws first stay in a mod and we've been talking POR up for years. Now there will be no comforter and (likely) no fridge. We're gonna hear about this for a long time.
__________________
Me DH DD 16 DD 12
Summer 1992 - Offsite - "We're Engaged" trip ~ 2/2001 - Offsite - DD's first trip (planned in 24 hrs!) ~ 2/2005 - POP - other DD's first trip
2/2007 - POP - Grand Gathering ~ 4/2008 - POR - "Can't wait 'til Nov" trip ~ 11/2008 - ASMu - Thanksgiving Grand Gathering
11/2009 - CBR - back again for Thanksgiving! ~ 3/2011 - POP - Spring Break ~ 11/2013 - POR - Thanksgiving - Who's coming with us?!
4luv2cdisney is offline  
Old 10-19-2013, 05:27 PM   #1153
mymeme
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 209

I am glad if they are removing all spreads/comforters. This way you will have clean linens on the beds!! I would not use them for anything as they are not cleaned between guests.
mymeme is offline  
Old 10-19-2013, 05:59 PM   #1154
4luv2cdisney
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 657

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymeme View Post
I am glad if they are removing all spreads/comforters. This way you will have clean linens on the beds!! I would not use them for anything as they are not cleaned between guests.
We always requested clean ones when we got there. I'd just call housekeeping and ask for all new bedding.

On one hand, this saves me the trouble. On the other, I'm afraid we may get cold. We all sleep best in a cool room, under warm blankets. Guess I'll have to add blankets to my packing list. Good thing we are driving!
__________________
Me DH DD 16 DD 12
Summer 1992 - Offsite - "We're Engaged" trip ~ 2/2001 - Offsite - DD's first trip (planned in 24 hrs!) ~ 2/2005 - POP - other DD's first trip
2/2007 - POP - Grand Gathering ~ 4/2008 - POR - "Can't wait 'til Nov" trip ~ 11/2008 - ASMu - Thanksgiving Grand Gathering
11/2009 - CBR - back again for Thanksgiving! ~ 3/2011 - POP - Spring Break ~ 11/2013 - POR - Thanksgiving - Who's coming with us?!
4luv2cdisney is offline  
Old 10-19-2013, 06:27 PM   #1155
emilyhuff
Mouseketeer
 
emilyhuff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 99

Pretty bummed about the bedspreads! They really add to the theme of the AB rooms!!!
__________________
Me DBF
Various Trips 1992-2006 (CBR, CSR, ASMMS, POP, POR), May 2007 All Star Sports, Oct 2012 POR, May 2013 Disneyland, Oct 2013 POR, Oct 2014 All Star Sports
emilyhuff is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
faq, por, port orleans riverside



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:07 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: