Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 10:08 PM   #1126
wdwagain518
Mouseketeer

final payment made today....one step closer and only 45 days to go!!!

Old 10-18-2013, 10:34 PM   #1127
jrj
always looking forward to our next trip to DA WORLD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiesweetie View Post
Pretty much the reasons I said in my initial post, beautifully landscaped, small and intimate and the beignets are great! We don't usually use the pool although the one at FQ is super cute. We also don't really do the extra activities at the resorts since we spend most of our time at the parks, so all of the extras at POR isn't a huge advantage for us. That being said, we've never traveled with children so that might be a consideration if you have kids and will have time to enjoy the extras.

But again I will repost once I get a feel for POR. Thanks for the pixie dust
Hi hokiesweetie... how are you? Thanks so much for responding... I'll await our repost

Have a great weekend,
Joy

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-18-2013, 10:56 PM   #1128
jrj

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooBoyz4us View Post
Hello Joy!

We will be staying at POR for the first time soon.

Originally, POFQ was our first choice and we had booked there. Having stayed at both CBR and CSR, we were ready to try another moderate. The small-ness of the resort, good bus reviews etc is what sold us.

THEN, free dining was announced and I realized that by bumping our vacation back one day, and switching to POR, we could get that. So, the switch was made

I still think we will be quite happy at POR, and am hoping our requests are honored.

Good luck deciding.
Hi TooBoyz4us how are you? Thanks much for responding... have fun at POR and if you have a chance, please let me know your thoughts regarding POR when you return home

Have a magical weekend
Joy

Old 10-18-2013, 11:01 PM   #1129
jrj

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwagain518 View Post
final payment made today....one step closer and only 45 days to go!!!
WOO HOO Let the party begin

Have a magical time
Joy

Old 10-19-2013, 01:46 AM   #1130
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDDisney View Post
checked out this past Sunday...royal room....we had plain white sheets....but pretty decorative bedspread on top
Bit puzzled on this one, there have always been white sheets, but on top has been a pretty decorative bedspread cover? What is being reported for other room types is that the heavy decorative themed cover has been removed completely, and when you walk into the room all you see are plain white 'hospital look' bed sheets. The recent photo I've now seen of an Alligator Bayou room just looks completely lacklustre and unfinished (see https://www.facebook.com/#!/portorle...67378519952753).

When I first heard a change was on the cards a few months ago, I was hoping for new lighter-weight themed (or at least coloured) sheets, or at the very least a runner or "bed scarf" (that strip of decorative fabric which some hotels place along the foot of their beds in an attempt to look modern and trendy).

I have several visitors on my site who are planning to cancel or downgrade their Royal Room bookings if this new look is staying, as they say they are unhappy paying a hefty premium if the immersive decor details are being removed. Having seen the photos, I must admit that I find it hard to disagree with them.

One possible positive I saw in a post on my own site was that maybe they are planning to take the old covers and re-purpose them into bed scarves? The comment was that maybe they've got a bunch of little old ladies waiting with their sewing kits at the ready for the old comforters to arrive with them. LOL, we can hope anyway. I can't see why they wouldn't do that in small batches though, rather than desecrating the theming of all the rooms in one go.

I sent a quick email to the room inventory manager late last night, so hopefully we'll get an official answer on this soon.

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 • Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99 • Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
Old 10-19-2013, 01:57 AM   #1131
PrincessKyleigh
Earning My Ears

I'm so excited. We are at the 60 day mark and I was able to do online check-in, customize my magic bands, and make FB+ reservations just now.

I've been planning this trip for 19 months now, so I'm thrilled to be this close to our XMas in WDW!

March 2005 Yacht Club November 2005 Yacht Club
December 2006 Poly Novermber 2007 Disney Magic
November 2009 Contemporary July 2010 Poly
July 2011 Contemporary December 2013 POR
Old 10-19-2013, 06:31 AM   #1132
csg
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley View Post
The recent photo I've now seen of an Alligator Bayou room just looks completely lacklustre and unfinished (see https://www.facebook.com/#!/portorle...67378519952753).

Oh my. That really is unattractive. At least they kept the cute alligator pillow. I wonder why they did this? It seems to me that a white bed covering will be difficult to keep clean.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:02 AM   #1133
Yellowstonetim
DIS Veteran

Could there be a temporary problem? A shortage of comforters? Maybe testing found some contaminated so they took them away, but not others? I guess we'll know when Andre gets an answer. I know I dislike big heavy comforters and they always end up on the floor.

"Remember, no matter where you go... there you are!" Buckaroo Banzai

1980 - Disneyland for 1 day while in the US Navy
1981-1983 Several 1 day visits while living in Orlando
1984- 1996 Several one and two day visits while visiting family
2000 January - 4 Nights, 5 Days - All Star Movies
2012 January - 5 Nights, 6 Days - Caribbean Beach
2013 September - 9 Nights, 10 days - Port Orleans Riverside Royal Room.
2014 November - ?
Old 10-19-2013, 07:12 AM   #1134
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

In-Room Fridge Replacement Update (POFQ done, POR at 40%)

The on-going issues with the replacement of fridges at most Disney resorts due to safety concerns are sadly not quite behind us yet, at least not for all guests.

First the good news: If you are staying at Port Orleans French Quarter, you should now be OK. All rooms should now have working fridges installed, although staff do still need to do a 100% room audit next week to confirm that their inventory lists are fully correct. But there should no longer be any need to make special requests.

Port Orleans Riverside guests, however, are not going to be so lucky. There has been no improvement at POR over the last month or so, and the number of rooms with working fridges currently stands at around 40%. About half of these are needed to help satisfy guests with medical or other special requirements (including moving fridges around between guest stays) so the 'random chance' of you happening to get a working fridge is currently only about 20%.

Maintenance staff have now physically removed the old affected units (rather than leaving them in situ with a warning letter) but unfortunately the next batch of replacement fridges - which was originally hoped for around the start of November - is now looking to be nearer the end of the month. No confirmed dates are available yet, but as soon as I can let you know anything more specific I will post the information here.

Andre

Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 • Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99 • Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14

Last edited by andrewilley; 10-19-2013 at 07:55 AM.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:19 AM   #1135
jmasgat
DIS Veteran

Hope the "comforter kerfuffle" is resolved positively and that it is NOT a trend at other Disney resorts. One of the main reasons for staying at Disney is the theming. How could someone approve that ugly white--it is glaringly incompatible with the rest of the room.

I realize it's only a bed covering, but it just really grates.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:22 AM   #1136
jaymoneymoney
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Can anyone at POR at the moment confirm whether their room has the colourful themed bed covers, or just plain white sheets? Hearing reports that they have switched (which I knew was something that Disney was planning). Andre
Where here now. Arcadian house. I wouldn't call it super colorful but def not stark white. Two tone blue with gold stripes.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:22 AM   #1137
SLPCheryl
Earning My Ears

When doing online check in what is amenity request? When I did it the other day it said I had no amenity requests but there wasn't an option to even select any. What would that be? Should it have been on there to select or just nothing is avail for POR RR standard view?
Old 10-19-2013, 08:33 AM   #1138
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmasgat View Post
Hope the "comforter kerfuffle" is resolved positively and that it is NOT a trend at other Disney resorts. One of the main reasons for staying at Disney is the theming. How could someone approve that ugly white--it is glaringly incompatible with the rest of the room.

I realize it's only a bed covering, but it just really grates.
Most of the deluxe resorts have already been without comforters for years. The only holdouts are GF and AKL but I know GF is going to be done soon.

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ
Old 10-19-2013, 08:39 AM   #1139
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoneymoney View Post
Where here now. Arcadian house. I wouldn't call it super colorful but def not stark white. Two tone blue with gold stripes.
Like this you mean?

If so, that's the regular bedspread for the last couple of years.

Andre

Old 10-19-2013, 08:41 AM   #1140
TDDisney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Bit puzzled on this one, there have always been white sheets, but on top has been a pretty decorative bedspread cover? What is being reported for other room types is that the heavy decorative themed cover has been removed completely, and when you walk into the room all you see are plain white 'hospital look' bed sheets. The recent photo I've now seen of an Alligator Bayou room just looks completely lacklustre and unfinished (see https://www.facebook.com/#!/portorle...67378519952753).

When I first heard a change was on the cards a few months ago, I was hoping for new lighter-weight themed (or at least coloured) sheets, or at the very least a runner or "bed scarf" (that strip of decorative fabric which some hotels place along the foot of their beds in an attempt to look modern and trendy).

I have several visitors on my site who are planning to cancel or downgrade their Royal Room bookings if this new look is staying, as they say they are unhappy paying a hefty premium if the immersive decor details are being removed. Having seen the photos, I must admit that I find it hard to disagree with them.

One possible positive I saw in a post on my own site was that maybe they are planning to take the old covers and re-purpose them into bed scarves? The comment was that maybe they've got a bunch of little old ladies waiting with their sewing kits at the ready for the old comforters to arrive with them. LOL, we can hope anyway. I can't see why they wouldn't do that in small batches though, rather than desecrating the theming of all the rooms in one go.

I sent a quick email to the room inventory manager late last night, so hopefully we'll get an official answer on this soon.

Andre
Wow, interesting...I had no idea. We were fortunate enough to have the pretty bedspread (with the crowns) on our beds in our royal room last week. It definitely would have been a different feel to the room if it was all white...and not in a positive way. I'm very curious as to the reason why they would do that...did they have a "critter problem" with them, or something?
Closed Thread

Tags
faq, por, port orleans riverside

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: