Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 03:21 PM   #1051
awalker1015
Mouseketeer

Just back from a fabulous trip! Thanks to all, especially Andre and VenomHatch for all the great info. Surprise for the kids was a huge success and turning 40 in MK wasn't so bad either!

We ended up in Lodge 26, which was a little bit of a distance to the lobby, etc for my mom, but it ended up not mattering because we rarely used the amenities. We were pretty close to the west depot, which in my opinion was the best. It picked up first so we always had a seat and the stop was never crowded. We never spent more than 30 min in transport while we were there. Room was great - was ready when we arrived and was clean with a working fridge - yay! I did fax a request a few days before arrival and was very pleased with the results.

Kids enjoyed Ol' Man Island on arrival day, while I enjoyed the pool bar Went jogging one morning and the jogging path was very nice, even in the dark. I had grand plans to jog daily but I didn't anticipate how tired my legs would feel after a full day touring the parks.

Garden Grocer was efficient - items were waiting on us when we arrived. Although in the future I don't know if I will even go to that expense. With delivery fee and tip it was almost $70 for a 12-pk of water, 6 pk of ginger ale, box of granola bars, bag of powdered donuts, box of PB and cracker, box of muffins and 6 yogurts. We left a lot of it there on checkout. I would pare that down considerably next time or skip it maybe. The only thing I really used was the water and a couple of yogurts. Kids were to excited to eat in the mornings and we ended up not using all our meal credits.

Dining was very nice. Had ADRs for all dinners, though in the future I may wing it a few nights. What I did not anticipate was how our late afternoon schedule might change and how our dinner location might not be convenient. We had Kona booked last night, but mid morning both my kids said they wanted to stay at the park until Wishes. I canceled Kona and lucked out on a BOG for dinner, which was an awesome way to celebrate my bday.

Here is where we ate:

B'fast - in the room, except checkout day when we ate at the POR food court
Lunch
Pecos Bill's (good burgers, quick, convenient)
Flame Tree (loved this!!! great food and seating by the water)
Cosmic Ray's - also good. Kids loved the musical entertainment
Dinner
Raglan Road - very fun, but this was arrival night and we were almost too tired to enjoy it.
Garden Grill - huge hit with kids and great character interaction
San Angel Inn - I know this gets mixed reviews but we loved it. We were exhausted and the atmosphere and margaritas hit the spot. Really enjoyed the food, too. Kids loved the little water ride.
BOG - great experience. DD is a Beauty and the Beast fanatic and we ate here right after Enchanted Tales with Belle so it was the perfect day for her.

All in all a wonderful trip. Hit all 4 parks in 3 days and the only thing we didn't do that we wanted to was to ride Kali River Rapids. Next time!

Thanks again!

Amanda
Old 10-16-2013, 03:29 PM   #1052
BebopBaloo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by awalker1015 View Post
Just back from a fabulous trip! Thanks to all, especially Andre and VenomHatch for all the great info. Surprise for the kids was a huge success and turning 40 in MK wasn't so bad either!

We ended up in Lodge 26, which was a little bit of a distance to the lobby, etc for my mom, but it ended up not mattering because we rarely used the amenities. We were pretty close to the west depot, which in my opinion was the best. It picked up first so we always had a seat and the stop was never crowded. We never spent more than 30 min in transport while we were there. Room was great - was ready when we arrived and was clean with a working fridge - yay! I did fax a request a few days before arrival and was very pleased with the results.
Sounds like you had a fantastic trip!! Thanks for sharing. I'm drooling for some San Angel Inn now. When you say that you never spent more than 30 minutes in transport, do you mean from the time you got on the bus till you got to the parks - or - is that time spent making the rounds to each bus stop before leaving the resort?
"Don't spend all your time looking around for something you want that can't be found. When you find out you can live without it and go along not thinking about it, I'll tell you something true. The bear necessities of life will come to you."

Psalm 27:1
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-16-2013, 03:37 PM   #1053
megdreamer1
Earning My Ears

I was at POR Oct.2-9th. We waited less than 5 minutes all but 1 time and that one time was less than 10 minutes. I was very impressed. And usually we saw 3 different theme park buses in that 5 minutes. We were in building 25 and used the West depot. No refrigerator but did get upgraded garden view to pool view which my 9 year old daughter loved.
Old 10-16-2013, 03:40 PM   #1054
awalker1015
Mouseketeer

It was never more than 30 min from the time we arrived at the stop for pickup until we arrived at our destination park. We were first stop but many times on more crowded days we wouldn't make the full loop before the bus was full and went on to the park. I don't think this is typical from what I have read so we felt very lucky!!!
Old 10-16-2013, 03:49 PM   #1055
BebopBaloo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by megdreamer1 View Post
I was at POR Oct.2-9th. We waited less than 5 minutes all but 1 time and that one time was less than 10 minutes. I was very impressed. And usually we saw 3 different theme park buses in that 5 minutes. We were in building 25 and used the West depot. No refrigerator but did get upgraded garden view to pool view which my 9 year old daughter loved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by awalker1015 View Post
It was never more than 30 min from the time we arrived at the stop for pickup until we arrived at our destination park. We were first stop but many times on more crowded days we wouldn't make the full loop before the bus was full and went on to the park. I don't think this is typical from what I have read so we felt very lucky!!!
"Don't spend all your time looking around for something you want that can't be found. When you find out you can live without it and go along not thinking about it, I'll tell you something true. The bear necessities of life will come to you."

Psalm 27:1
Old 10-16-2013, 04:04 PM   #1056
Eeyore's My Favorite
EW Disney Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomhatch View Post

Your very welcome! Do I need to come whoop some BC tail, lol.
Yep need some tail kicking here. Really don't like BC & neither does any of the others in the family. Guess I should have known it wasn't going to be good when furniture was missing!! Took 5 hrs to get furniture & get toilet fixed! But I will say that all CMs have been great!

Well - the AP's have run out so it's time to begin saving again for the big 30th Wedding Anniversary Celebration.

AKL, CBR, WL, POP, POR, ASMo, ASMu, AS Sports, Fort Wilderness -1973-Grad Night : 1st WDW visit the year it opened!!
Old 10-16-2013, 04:06 PM   #1057
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity
I got carted off in the meat wagon

Location: Originally from Newport News, VA but Home is Kissimmee, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickeymouse View Post
I would hope Disney has a means of "tracking" their buses to know to send them if one hasn't been around for a while. It seems the posting of wait times at the bus stop is a step in the right direction and an indicator that they do indeed know where the buses are at all times.

Something I am not sure about though: is there an employee at the main bus depot to assist with wait times or call for another bus?

Also, I understand that bus lines can be heavy after the park closes. Are there typically a number of buses lined up and ready to go to get as many patrons back to their resort as possible?
Quote:
Originally Posted by megdreamer1 View Post
To both the comments. It is hit and miss with them. Yes there is a tracking system along with the radio/PA system they know where you are and when you'll be arriving. But as previously mentioned they are subject to tourists not knowing where to go, car accidents, traffic, and more can participate in a bus being delayed. I know at DVC Resorts and Deluxes we have Bus Attendants at the main bus stops only. They have a times sheet and can accurately guess the next bust arrival. I do not know if they are adding this to POR other than the screens I have seen popping up at moderates for trial purposes.
Old 10-16-2013, 04:09 PM   #1058
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity
I got carted off in the meat wagon

Location: Originally from Newport News, VA but Home is Kissimmee, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore's My Favorite View Post
Yep need some tail kicking here. Really don't like BC & neither does any of the others in the family. Guess I should have known it wasn't going to be good when furniture was missing!! Took 5 hrs to get furniture & get toilet fixed! But I will say that all CMs have been great!
That is highly odd about the furniture being missing. That would have been the first red flag right there also with me.

Well if you have further issues and cant get that resolved PM me directly and I will see what I can do to relay some needed help.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:31 PM   #1059
delilah18
DIS Veteran

Quick question will be at Riverside in 9 days
I want to order something from the Disney store to arrive there while we are there
What address do I put as well do I just put the name on the package my husbands name?
He is the one the reservations in
Will they know to hold it for him?
Do we just ask if there is a package for us?

Thanks

AoA LM Sept/Oct 2012
POR RR Oct/Nov 2013
Sheraton Vistana. October 2014

Old 10-16-2013, 05:52 PM   #1060
LisaTC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by delilah18 View Post
Quick question will be at Riverside in 9 days
I want to order something from the Disney store to arrive there while we are there
What address do I put as well do I just put the name on the package my husbands name?
He is the one the reservations in
Will they know to hold it for him?
Do we just ask if there is a package for us?

Thanks
If you check this link, it will give the information for sending packages/mail to the resort! HAVE FUN!!!

http://www.portorleans.org/services.php

Old 10-16-2013, 10:54 PM   #1061
Eeyore's My Favorite
EW Disney Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomhatch View Post

That is highly odd about the furniture being missing. That would have been the first red flag right there also with me.

Well if you have further issues and cant get that resolved PM me directly and I will see what I can do to relay some needed help.
Venom thanks so much for the offer of help. There have been do many other issues big & small here at BC. But I'm happy to say DH is right there with me to stay at nowhere but POR! At least I know when I check in there will be chairs to sit on .... Lol!!

Well - the AP's have run out so it's time to begin saving again for the big 30th Wedding Anniversary Celebration.

AKL, CBR, WL, POP, POR, ASMo, ASMu, AS Sports, Fort Wilderness -1973-Grad Night : 1st WDW visit the year it opened!!
Old 10-16-2013, 11:09 PM   #1062
yeheyprincex2
Mouseketeer

There are four of us, two adults and 1&2 yr old. We have a garden view room reservation. Which area will we be put in with no request mansions or alligator bayou?

me DS DS DH
Old 10-16-2013, 11:50 PM   #1063
Shaden
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeheyprincex2 View Post
There are four of us, two adults and 1&2 yr old. We have a garden view room reservation. Which area will we be put in with no request mansions or alligator bayou?
It could be either, statistically I think you have a better chance of AB, there are almost double the rooms in that section.

You could still fax in a request if you would rather one section over the other !!!
Old 10-17-2013, 06:32 AM   #1064
Gracefulskinny
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Love Disney
I'm getting pretty concerned and bummed out about the long bus wait times that have been mentioned on here recently. Is Disney aware of the long wait situation and if so, is there anything they are able to do about it? Maybe I should start looking into renting a car? I'm confused on what to do
Been here for a week and haven't had much issue with bus wait times. The biat however. .. it took 40 minutes to get one our first day.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:46 AM   #1065
katielafave
Mouseketeer

Regarding the buses - we were there last week and had no major issues. Couple of times we waited 15-20 minutes both at parks and POR, but never an excessively long wait. Lots of very full busses though. We probably stood half the time.
Closed Thread

Tags
faq, por, port orleans riverside

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: