Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 11:12 PM   #901
aroundtheriverbend
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmon54 View Post

Thanks and have fun tonight it is sold out right? You'll have to report back about how it went! We are planning on attending the Nov 1 party.
Just got back, it was crowded for a party night (more than I remember from previous experiences), but nothing like a crowded park day. We didn't know it was sold out till we read it here. Very manageable and short lines for all the rides we wanted, but even the second parade was a bit busier. But once again well worth it!! We watched Hallowishes sitting right behind the carousel, it was amazing to turn your head and watch a few fireworks by the castle but the majority were actually shooting from back behind even BOG! At one point they were coming from all sides at once and it was like it was full daylight. Very cool!!

Me DH DS10 DD8
Old 10-11-2013, 03:05 AM   #902
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaMouse View Post
Just checked in this evening. Was hoping for a mansion room (I didn't want to send a fax, but my AAA TA supposedly out in the reservation request) but ended up in Alligator Bayou. Wasn't thrilled initially, but it's actually super cute!
This is quite a common reaction actually. I see lots of posts here saying how people really don't think they would enjoy the bayou theming, and would much prefer a room in the mansions... but I think that in many cases (like yours) people would find that the AB area has its own charm and qualities which perhaps don't come over so well in the photos. I like both sides, but AB is where I've stayed most often I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoMickey View Post
Your right, I don't know about asthma. Thanks for your note, Maybe they missed a room or it had been shut up for a while.
One thing to bear in mind about room assignments is that if you do Online Checkin, your room will be assigned and your welcome pack prepared perhaps several hours before you arrive at the resort (they don't want to leave it too close, in case you get there early). Thus the pool of available rooms when they first set you up might be completely different to the pool of Ready Rooms available when you actually arrive.

So if you're not happy with an assigned room, it never hurts to ask them to check again to what else is now available (or might become available over the next few hours if you are prepared to wait a bit for your choice of room location).

Quote:
Originally Posted by canyoncam View Post
Do you think it is more likely you would receive corner room in AB as it looks like there are more in that section?
I'd not really thought about it much, but you could well be right - the smaller buildings, with shorter straight runs of adjacent rooms, probably do mean that there are more corner locations in AB. Nice point!

Hopefully "Alligator Bayou" vs. "Mansions" should be an option in the Online Checkin request tickboxes fairly soon by the way.

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-11-2013, 05:18 AM   #903
Sydnerella
enough is as good as a feast

At the airport waiting to board our plane to Orlando! YAY! ONLY 7 MORE HOURS UNTIL WE ARE AT RIVERSIDE!!! THANKS to all for the informative posts about everything from MNSSHP to room requests to laundry to walking paths to snakes!
Sydnerella's Mama

October 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside, March 2012 - Port Orleans French Quarter, February 2011 -Carribean Beach, March 2010 - VRBO House, April 2008 - VRBO House, March 2006 - Celebration
Old 10-11-2013, 05:48 AM   #904
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity
I got carted off in the meat wagon

Location: Originally from Newport News, VA but Home is Kissimmee, FL

Good Morning Everyone! Hope you have a very Magic Filled Day!
Old 10-11-2013, 05:49 AM   #905
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydnerella View Post
At the airport waiting to board our plane to Orlando! YAY! ONLY 7 MORE HOURS UNTIL WE ARE AT RIVERSIDE!!! THANKS to all for the informative posts about everything from MNSSHP to room requests to laundry to walking paths to snakes!
Sydnerella's Mama
Your almost here!!!
Old 10-11-2013, 06:18 AM   #906
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
At the airport waiting to board our plane to Orlando! YAY! ONLY 7 MORE HOURS UNTIL WE ARE AT RIVERSIDE!!!
Hope you have a great time and all your planning works out well for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydnerella
No ticker at the moment..... bummer!
I'd settle for having no signature ticker if I was on a plane to Orlando!

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
Old 10-11-2013, 06:57 AM   #907
jmasgat
DIS Veteran

Does anyone know if there is a resort room map that shows room numbers for each building? I have searched and can't find anything. I have found similar maps in the past for WL--which really helped me figure out what to do for a room request.

And what is the draw of the corner room, from those who have asked/stayed in them before.

On a positive note, I found my email receipt from my stay 2 years ago, and it had the room number on it. Now I can at least home in on building.

And yes.....I know, it's all just request, but still excited to at least ask.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:16 AM   #908
Ashlander
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Sydnerella's Mama
Safe travels and have a fabulous vacation!

Me, DH, DS(11), DD(10), DD(8)

Old 10-11-2013, 07:17 AM   #909
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmasgat View Post
Does anyone know if there is a resort room map that shows room numbers for each building? I have searched and can't find anything. I have found similar maps in the past for WL--which really helped me figure out what to do for a room request.

And what is the draw of the corner room, from those who have asked/stayed in them before.

On a positive note, I found my email receipt from my stay 2 years ago, and it had the room number on it. Now I can at least home in on building.

And yes.....I know, it's all just request, but still excited to at least ask.
I believe Andre has that mapped out on his website: www.portorleans.org

Go to Riverside button left side of page. Then go to maps/quick reference. Then click on the building of choice and maps show of each building.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:04 AM   #910
jmasgat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomhatch View Post
I believe Andre has that mapped out on his website: www.portorleans.org

Go to Riverside button left side of page. Then go to maps/quick reference. Then click on the building of choice and maps show of each building.
Perfect...thanks! Should have remembered this site.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:30 AM   #911
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroundtheriverbend View Post
We watched Hallowishes sitting right behind the carousel, it was amazing to turn your head and watch a few fireworks by the castle but the majority were actually shooting from back behind even BOG! At one point they were coming from all sides at once and it was like it was full daylight. Very cool!!
We saw normal Wishes from the bridge after checking in for BOG. It was pretty neat, to see the different places they are shot from.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
Old 10-11-2013, 11:46 AM   #912
Just Love Disney
Mouseketeer

Tipping

I am looking for a 'cheat sheet' on tipping. I have found individual discussions regarding tipping but wasn't able to locate a list that I can print out and keep on hand during our vacation.

Example:

Taxi Drivers
Bus Drivers (DME and resort buses)
Bell Service
Concierge
Buffet Wait Staff
Room Service
Mousekeeping
etc.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Grand Floridian - 6/1992, Caribbean Beach - 10/2012, Port Orleans Riverside - 10/2013, Split Stay - Pop Century/Caribbean Beach - 10/2014
Old 10-11-2013, 01:27 PM   #913
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Love Disney View Post
I am looking for a 'cheat sheet' on tipping. I have found individual discussions regarding tipping but wasn't able to locate a list that I can print out and keep on hand during our vacation.

Example:

Taxi Drivers
Bell Service
Concierge
Buffet Wait Staff
Room Service
Mousekeeping
etc.

Thanks
This is the right thread for this. Someone can help you with this if they know the answers to it.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:30 PM   #914
jclouti
Earning My Ears

Hi Folks - I hope you are all having a nice day. I have a question regarding bed rails for my 5-year-old. I see on the website that this is something that the resort can provide. I have put it in my booking request, and will include it on my fax, but what I'm wondering is - does this fall under a "request", as in "we may not get it", or is it something that can be guaranteed, as it is a safety thing (kind of like booking child seats when you rent a car)? Thanks!
Old 10-11-2013, 01:38 PM   #915
shan23877
I make lists about my lists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Love Disney View Post

Example:

Taxi Drivers
Bell Service
Concierge
Buffet Wait Staff
Room Service
Mousekeeping
etc.

Thanks
I don't know that there's a comprehensive list anywhere on the DIS, but I can share what we do

I work in the service industry so I might tip a bit more than others.

Taxi drivers-20% as a rule, but more or less depending on courtesy, bags unloaded, etc

DME driver-$1-$2 per bad he has to unload from beneath the bus

Bell Services-$1-$2 per bag handled

Concierge- we've never used concierge for anything other than ticket printing, so I'm not sure on this one

Buffet server-18-20%. Buffet service tends to be just as difficult as full service if done right. Obviously more or less depending on how friendly they were, drink refills, plates cleared promptly, etc

Room Service-20% or whatever you feel comfortable tipping the pizza delivery guy

Mousekeeping-we do $5/day for our family of 3. Keep in mind that you might not having the same mousekeeper every day, so tipping at the end of the week won't work.

BBB/Pirate's League CM- we do about $10 per visit

Last trip we made little business card sized thank you notes to pass out to CMs in non-tipped roles who went above and beyond. I don't know that they meant much to the CMs, but we liked having a tangible way to say thanks for a job well done.

Have fun!
Closed Thread

Tags
faq, por, port orleans riverside

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: