Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10-08-2013, 07:07 AM   #796
WishnDisney
Mouseketeer
 
WishnDisney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 119

First of all thanks for everyone who reassured me about the RR not being too girly for all my men! (I don't know how to do multiple quotes.) I'm so excited to change resorts. (I did this last year, too. I'm sure my TA thinks, here we go again.)

When I emailed my TA yesterday to change from CSR to POR, she responded that she's on a cruise at the moment and will get back to me next week. Sigh! I suppose that's okay. Besides, I think she's actually working and not vacationing...

Thanks all. I'm so excited about a Princess room for my 50th birthday. Sad, isn't it?

Lynne
WishnDisney is offline  
Old 10-08-2013, 07:10 AM   #797
Ashlander
DIS Veteran
 
Ashlander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Virginia
Posts: 518

Quote:
Originally Posted by WishnDisney View Post
Thanks all. I'm so excited about a Princess room for my 50th birthday. Sad, isn't it?

Lynne
Not sad at all - I think it is fun and you are going to enjoy it! Makes me want to have a Royal Room, but there are 5 in our family so that is not an option
__________________

Me, DH, DS(11), DD(10), DD(8)

Ashlander is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 10-08-2013, 07:10 AM   #798
WishnDisney
Mouseketeer
 
WishnDisney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 119

Arrow

Another question:

We are in the car rental camp. We want to take MDE so we don't have to hassle with luggage and pick up a car on property. Last time we used the car care center. Should we use a DTD location since it's closer?

Gosh...I'm having so much fun planning right now. It's too bad it's too far away to look at crowd calendars, schedule ADRs, etc. So, I'm thinking about the bigger stuff...

Lynne
WishnDisney is offline  
Old 10-08-2013, 07:37 AM   #799
EpcotBill
DIS Veteran
 
EpcotBill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: USA
Posts: 2,780

Quote:
Originally Posted by WishnDisney View Post
Another question:

We are in the car rental camp. We want to take MDE so we don't have to hassle with luggage and pick up a car on property. Last time we used the car care center. Should we use a DTD location since it's closer?

Gosh...I'm having so much fun planning right now. It's too bad it's too far away to look at crowd calendars, schedule ADRs, etc. So, I'm thinking about the bigger stuff...

Lynne
It's going to be more hassle and wasted time using DME and then renting a car at Disney. Just pick up your luggage and rent a car at the airport.
EpcotBill is online now  
Old 10-08-2013, 07:44 AM   #800
Skampigirl
To all who have come to this happy place, welcome!
 
Skampigirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 219

Quote:
Originally Posted by WishnDisney View Post
Another question:

We are in the car rental camp. We want to take MDE so we don't have to hassle with luggage and pick up a car on property. Last time we used the car care center. Should we use a DTD location since it's closer?

Gosh...I'm having so much fun planning right now. It's too bad it's too far away to look at crowd calendars, schedule ADRs, etc. So, I'm thinking about the bigger stuff...

Lynne
Happy Planning! Disney offers car rental through Alamo and I've found the discount with the package to be quite substantial (we saved $400/week last time we reserved through Disney versus directly with the car rental agency). Also, if you want to purchase insurance, they offer an LDW for $35/week (though this may have gone up since we purchased it). Pick up and drop off is at MCO so very convenient.

Anticipation is half the fun - enjoy!!
__________________
Stitch is my psychiatrist...

September 2012 / Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10 miler and Mickey's Happy Haunted Trail 5K / Port Orleans Riverside -- January 2013 - Tinkerbell Half Marathon & Neverland 5K, Disneyland / Disneyland Hotel -- November 2013 - Jingle Jungle 5K & Wine & Dine Half Marathon - Port Orleans Riverside -- January 2014 - Girlfriend trip, WL CL -- August 2014 - Trip of a Lifetime - Adventures By Disney Paris/Versailles/Normandy and Disneyland Paris !

Skampigirl is offline  
Old 10-08-2013, 08:14 AM   #801
sunset7132
DIS Veteran
 
sunset7132's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: New York
Posts: 1,023

Quote:
Originally Posted by WishnDisney View Post
Another question:

We are in the car rental camp. We want to take MDE so we don't have to hassle with luggage and pick up a car on property. Last time we used the car care center. Should we use a DTD location since it's closer?

Gosh...I'm having so much fun planning right now. It's too bad it's too far away to look at crowd calendars, schedule ADRs, etc. So, I'm thinking about the bigger stuff...

Lynne
I called Alamo and set up a car for nov 9 th ... They told me to call the shuttle service a day in advance and they will pick us up at pofq. If you go on their (Alamo) website and fill out a 2 minute registration you will receive a member number and get 10 percent off
__________________
sunset7132 is offline  
Old 10-08-2013, 08:38 AM   #802
DonaldDuck77
Earning My Ears
 
DonaldDuck77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by WishnDisney View Post
First of all thanks for everyone who reassured me about the RR not being too girly for all my men! (I don't know how to do multiple quotes.) I'm so excited to change resorts. (I did this last year, too. I'm sure my TA thinks, here we go again.)

When I emailed my TA yesterday to change from CSR to POR, she responded that she's on a cruise at the moment and will get back to me next week. Sigh! I suppose that's okay. Besides, I think she's actually working and not vacationing...

Thanks all. I'm so excited about a Princess room for my 50th birthday. Sad, isn't it?

Lynne
Not sure why TAs need to feel like that. What is their purpose, anyway, if not to take care of any vacation needs?

I don't think I will be using a TA again after this time. I have learned enough that I can do what I need on my own. (This message board has been far more helpful, and I have even taught her things she didn't know through this board.) I had no control over important changes. My TA seems to have been on vacation/researching on any important date that I needed her. If there are any mistakes made, there is nothing you can do about it. I discovered an error in an ADR that took away my fantasmic dining package (glad for the recent FP+ availability). Someone who doesn't ever click around on the Disney website would probably have walked up to the restaurant on that day and not had the reservation they thought they did through the TA. The TA company policy is that they take care of dining reservations for you one time. Due to one of the many vacations she was on, my 180 day was while she was gone. So by her choice, she made dining reservations at 2 different times. Then by her own suggestion, we allowed her to change something else about the dining. Then, when free dining came out, she made a comment about how much more she had helped with dining compared to the company policy I would suggest to not use a TA you know outside of that, or one that has a primary job that takes away from their availability to take care of your needs when you need them.

Sorry, vent over. It's still Disney, and we can't wait. 34 days
DonaldDuck77 is offline  
Old 10-08-2013, 08:58 AM   #803
RedPanda
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 103

Just (finally!) booked our room at Riverside for February! I've been waiting for a discount to come out, since we're trying to budget carefully for this trip. Had a bit of a snag when the website wouldn't let me book because evidently I made a mistake when entering my daughter's age -- the month and day of her birthday were reversed, so she was turning up older at the time of travel than she should've been. And although they let you enter the birthday through the site, they won't let you edit it. So I had to call, and it took several tries to get through.

I just realized I didn't make any room requests while on the phone with the agent -- I hope that doesn't mean I need to get back on the line. I wanted to request a mansion room. Should I just wait and send a fax when we're closer to our stay?
__________________
Me DH DD4 DS2

RedPanda is offline  
Old 10-08-2013, 09:20 AM   #804
WishnDisney
Mouseketeer
 
WishnDisney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpcotBill View Post
It's going to be more hassle and wasted time using DME and then renting a car at Disney. Just pick up your luggage and rent a car at the airport.
Maybe. We did it last time, though, and it worked out great. We just hopped on the DME, checked in, and then called National and they came to get us and took us to the Car Care Center. We then went to Wal-Mart and picked up Water, etc., and by the time we got back to our rooms, all of our things were there. Then we took off for the parks. We took a very early morning flight so it all worked out great.

I think my DH who does all the driving, appreciated the DME, and not having to deal with luggage and find his way to the hotel.

Lynne
WishnDisney is offline  
Old 10-08-2013, 09:26 AM   #805
WishnDisney
Mouseketeer
 
WishnDisney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldDuck77 View Post
Not sure why TAs need to feel like that. What is their purpose, anyway, if not to take care of any vacation needs?

I don't think I will be using a TA again after this time. I have learned enough that I can do what I need on my own. (This message board has been far more helpful, and I have even taught her things she didn't know through this board.) I had no control over important changes. My TA seems to have been on vacation/researching on any important date that I needed her. If there are any mistakes made, there is nothing you can do about it. I discovered an error in an ADR that took away my fantasmic dining package (glad for the recent FP+ availability). Someone who doesn't ever click around on the Disney website would probably have walked up to the restaurant on that day and not had the reservation they thought they did through the TA. The TA company policy is that they take care of dining reservations for you one time. Due to one of the many vacations she was on, my 180 day was while she was gone. So by her choice, she made dining reservations at 2 different times. Then by her own suggestion, we allowed her to change something else about the dining. Then, when free dining came out, she made a comment about how much more she had helped with dining compared to the company policy I would suggest to not use a TA you know outside of that, or one that has a primary job that takes away from their availability to take care of your needs when you need them.

Sorry, vent over. It's still Disney, and we can't wait. 34 days
Yikes, sounds like a nightmare. My TA is AAA and I use her to get their discount plus diamond parking. Last year, when Disney came out with bigger discounts closer to the trip, I had her rebook me under the Disney discount. It all worked out well.

I agree with you, though. I could definitely do this myself. I do tons of research and all of my own planning. I was up at the crack of dawn to do my own ADRs at 180 days. I made my own rental car arrangements. Will probably do that, too, plus my airfare since I'm really trying to control costs and am keeping my eyes out for good rental rates plus good airfare.

I'm probably her nightmare, between making changes to resorts, looking for discounts and trying to control things rather than let her do her job. Hey, it's just the way I am.

Lynne
WishnDisney is offline  
Old 10-08-2013, 09:48 AM   #806
PeanutButterMom
Mouseketeer
 
PeanutButterMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 318

We head out for POR in 11 days! So excited!

I had asked about a million years ago (back when I first booked. You know, in June... ) about requesting rooms/areas of the resort, and I faithfully wrote down everything everyone told me. I downloaded the sample fax and fussed around with it to make it work for us. Does it make sense? Is there anything I should add? (I changed up all our actual info):

Quote:
Disney’s Port Orleans Riverside Resort
Attn: Room Assignment Team
October 14, 2013
Resort Confirmation# (3TF73922)


Hello, and good day to you and your fellow Cast Members.

On October 19, 2013 my family and I will be visiting Walt Disney World at your Port Orleans Riverside resort. We are all looking forward to this trip from October 19th-28th with much excitement. It’s our first Disney trip ever! We would be most grateful if you could possibly accommodate a room request for the Magnolia Terrace Building, on the inside of the ‘H’ facing the river, maybe rooms 8748-8766 (we prefer the 2nd floor as we can be very sensitive sleepers)? We really like the Magnolia Bend area, specifically Magnolia Terrace. We feel that this building is in a perfect location; close to East Depot for transportation and Ol’ Man Island for our kids, as well as a view of the courtyard and hopefully fountain. The Magnolia Bend area is so picturesque and we are eager to be “Welcomed Home” for the first time. We have a paid Garden View as part of our reservation. We are so very excited to stay at Port Orleans. So it would be very magical to receive a little pixie dust if at all possible. It would be the most magical experience to achieve that one time for us. We understand that these are requests but if you can help us out to the best of your abilities we would be ever so grateful. We will be arriving at your resort very soon, and would greatly appreciate any assistance you can provide in making our wonderful vacation more enjoyable and magical.

Sincerely,

PeanutbutterMom
Our Address
Phone: 407-555-5555
Email: (xxx@yyy.com)

* Building requested Magnolia Terrace (Building 85), Rooms 8748-8766
* Paid for Garden View
* Would prefer the Second Floor please, we are sensitive sleepers and would be easily woken by passing traffic.
Is my room explanation OK? This is what I'm talking about, but I know I can unclear sometimes:

__________________
Me (slice-o-bread #1) DH (my matching slice) PeanutButter (AKA PB) Jelly
PeanutButterMom is offline  
Old 10-08-2013, 09:50 AM   #807
Just Love Disney
Mouseketeer
 
Just Love Disney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 106

In Need of Opinions/

Last year, since our plane arrived after midnight, we got a room near the airport and then took the hotel shuttle back to the airport in the a.m. to ride the DME to our Disney Resort. It all went rather smoothly and the hotel had free hot breakfast (bonus - )

Again this year we will be arriving at the airport around 9:30 or 10:00 p.m. on the 23rd but our resv. for POR begins on the 24th. We initially thought we'd just stay at the hotel near the airport again and repeat what we did last year, but then it occurred to me that we could get a room at a Value Resort for the 1st night so the 'Magic' could begin a little earlier and then move over to POR the next morning (I'm too cheap to pay for another day at POR since we won't be arriving until late night).

Which way makes more sense? Room near airport for one night or room at Value for one night?

Is the DME (big bus) still running around 10:00 p.m. or is it just the smaller shuttle bus?

If we stay at a Value, would it be a major pain to transport our luggage to POR in the a.m. and how would we go about doing that? (we all have rolling carry-on pieces).

Also, does anyone know what time the food court or in-room pizza is open until? And what about a pool? Are any still open 24 hours or did that all change last week? We are looking at All Star Movies Resort. (I'm referring to the pools at the ASMO - not pool hopping to another resort)

Thanks for all your help and advice
__________________


Grand Floridian - 6/1992, Caribbean Beach - 10/2012, Port Orleans Riverside - 10/2013, Caribbean Beach - 10/2014

Last edited by Just Love Disney; 10-08-2013 at 10:09 AM. Reason: clarifying
Just Love Disney is offline  
Old 10-08-2013, 10:05 AM   #808
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity
I got carted off in the meat wagon
 
Venomhatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Originally from Newport News, VA but Home is Kissimmee, FL
Posts: 4,656

Back again everyone. Good morning and hope you have a very Magical Day!
Venomhatch is offline  
Old 10-08-2013, 10:43 AM   #809
EpcotBill
DIS Veteran
 
EpcotBill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: USA
Posts: 2,780

Quote:
Originally Posted by WishnDisney View Post
Maybe. We did it last time, though, and it worked out great. We just hopped on the DME, checked in, and then called National and they came to get us and took us to the Car Care Center. We then went to Wal-Mart and picked up Water, etc., and by the time we got back to our rooms, all of our things were there. Then we took off for the parks. We took a very early morning flight so it all worked out great.

I think my DH who does all the driving, appreciated the DME, and not having to deal with luggage and find his way to the hotel.

Lynne
If it works for you great, go for it. I've done it both ways and it's much more efficient renting a car at the airport. You also get to pick from many car rental companies so you can shop for price. At WDW you're limited to Alamo or National. When you return to the airport you go when you're ready, not when DME tells you to be ready.

When we rent at the airport it takes just as much time to get our own luggage and rent a car as it takes to check in at DME and wait in line for the bus. Sometimes it can be a long wait for your bus to leave the airport and if your resort isn't the first stop there's more wasted time. Then there's the wasted time going to the Car Care Center to pick up and drop off your car.

I don't have any trouble finding the hotels. It's pretty easy and when we get there our luggage is with us, no waiting for it to be delivered.

That's just my experience. I like to save as much time as possible for the fun stuff.
EpcotBill is online now  
Old 10-08-2013, 10:55 AM   #810
aroundtheriverbend
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Davidson, NC
Posts: 713

Woo hoo! So excited it's finally here! Just got our dining reminder for Boatwrights tomorrow night!!!

I'm working until 1 today, then heading home to cram in the rest of the packing. DH and I will pick up the kids after school, then straight on to the airport. POR, here we come!
__________________


Me DH DS10 DD8
aroundtheriverbend is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
faq, por, port orleans riverside



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:19 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: