Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 01:21 PM   #706
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracefulskinny View Post
Dh have a reservation for Ohana for 8pm next friday. Were were planing to start heading that way about 6pm. Should I factor in a bit more time due to the party at mk? or would it be easier to hop an epcot bus?
The Epcot bus & then monorail sounds like fun - and you definitely won't get caught up in any MK party congenstion that way - although two hours should be more than enough time anyway. You'll need to change monorails at the TTC onto the Resort line (or just get off there and walk if you like, the Poly is actually right next to the TTC).

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
Old 10-04-2013, 01:38 PM   #707
firstwdw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny3boys View Post
Hi! My family of 5 is making our first ever trip to Disney Nov 10th-15th and staying at POR. Kids are DS9, DS8, and DS6. The youngest has some health issues (immune compromised, severe acid reflux disease, asthma, allergies, failure to thrive). I got some good information on the disABILITIES boards and the dining boards. We booked with a travel agent, and we did give her some room requests (connecting room with my ILs, near main building since DS6 tires easily and if gets sick we will be closer to assistance, first floor since we may use a stroller with him sometimes too, and a fridge since he needs to take in extra calories and drinks whole milk that isn't widely available on the property). Does anyone have any good advice for me? What are the chances we get those requests? Do you think that is too many? Should I fax in a confirming request before we leave, or is that something my travel agent takes care of?

Thanks!
If environmental allergies are also a concern you can request a VIP cleaning of the room prior to your arrival and I would note he's immune compromised as well on the cleaning request. They can deep clean the room and use special detergents on the sheets and towels (non chemical-fragrance free-that sort of thing) Worth a call!I would also fax all these requests a few days before you leave but the VIP cleaning needs to be noted on your reservation and there is no additional fee for that cleaning!Have fun!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-04-2013, 02:33 PM   #708
DisneyGurl5
Earning My Ears

Just Back from POR!

Returned last night from our 10 day stay. Sad to be home...we were upgraded from standard view to a preferred room in building 18 (yay!) and rec'd the ground floor, corner room we requested. We had a fridge in our room which worked v. well...mousekeeping was great, we got a few towel animals and they took our tip envelopes each day...just left them on our pillow each morning.
The new monitor at the South bus stop worked very well...it was usually accurate. In the mornings there was always a castmember working the bus stops. During the 10 days, the longest we waited was 7 mins. - honestly, in our last 4 trips the transportation this time around was an absolute dream! Granted, we are early-morning people but even coming back from the parks at night was great. We used Disney transp. exclusively (no cabs this time at all!) and went all around to different resorts, DD, the waterparks, Boardwalk, mini-golf etc. and it was hassle-free each & every time. I just wanted to comment about it because it's a hot topic on the forums and we spoke about it amongst ourselves also; it was perfect - we would walk up to a stop from/to wherever, and a bus/boat/monorail would be either waiting or would arrive within a minute or two....
We had a great stay. Parks were not busy, my dh and ds (13) rode EE at DAK about 8 times in an hour last Thursday.....they closed the regular line and just let everyone (maybe 15 people) use the Fastpass line and they just rode, got off, got back in "line" (none to speak of) and rode again and again and again....this was between 5 and 6 pm with a 6 pm close that day...we had a Tusker House reservation at 6:15 so this worked out perfectly.
We also ate at Ohana's, Mama Melrose, Raglan Road (highlight of the trip), Kona Cafe.....so much food! We saw Cirque du Soleil's La Nouba for the first time - awesome show! Visited the Art of Animation resort, which is so nice - lots of great photo opportunities!
POR was beautiful as always - love it there! Miss it already, especially coming back to cool, rainy Canada! Yuck!
We had decent weather, the first couple of days were cloudy and a bit rainy but the last 5 or 6 days were beautiful but still hot & humid!
Phew - better get to some laundry....sigh....
Oh yeah, the MagicBands are good - we had a couple of hiccups with them but certainly nothing major. We also ended up w. 4 extra snack credits as the Band wouldn't work for payment and the castmember let us have the snacks and insisted we not come back with our regular KTTW card to pay; this was at Typhoon Lagoon and we said we would just grab the card from our locker but she stated it wasn't our fault and just enjoy the free ice-cream....that was a nice surprise, too - although we definitely didn't need the "extra" food! Ha!
Old 10-04-2013, 02:53 PM   #709
slatterie
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pt0872 View Post
Not that we'd use it but anyone know how much the babysitting services are? We have a 6yo daughter and an 8yo son. Just something I'm wondering about...wife and I don't get a lot of time alone.
There are in room babysitting services. But have you checked out the kids activity centers? There are various ones at various resorts but sadly, none at POR. We are bringing our DD to the Neverland one at the Poly so me and DH can have grown up time at Epcot. See link for rates on inroom babysitting.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/gu...care-services/
Old 10-04-2013, 03:03 PM   #710
Gracefulskinny
DIS Veteran

Double post!

Last edited by Gracefulskinny; 10-04-2013 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Double post
Old 10-04-2013, 03:15 PM   #711
Gracefulskinny
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley View Post
The Epcot bus & then monorail sounds like fun - and you definitely won't get caught up in any MK party congenstion that way - although two hours should be more than enough time anyway. You'll need to change monorails at the TTC onto the Resort line (or just get off there and walk if you like, the Poly is actually right next to the TTC).

Andre
Thanks for pointing out the party traffic. Don't know why that didn't cross my mind before now. I had it as a concern for getting back to the hotel. (We are planning on watching hallowishes from the beach after dinner) Silly me for over looking getting there! Oh well at least I thought of it now.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:26 PM   #712
csg
Earning My Ears

Thank you very much for compiling all this information on POR. I've been keeping up with the threads for a while now. I look forward to reading what has been going each day. I just booked POR for our Mar/Apr 2014 trip. This will be my first time staying in a Mod. I just know we will love it there.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:37 PM   #713
Srbright
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmelhp

What stop were you at and what time? As I said, others did go in and tell the staff though it shouldn't have been hard to guess that there was a problem when both of the shelters (A&B) had overflowing crowds. At least 3 MK buses passed without stopping and there must have been a dozen DT Disney buses pass during that time.
We went about noon. DH went in with a cab at 6:30 for the Behind The Steam Trains tour. The kids and I slept in and met him there to have lunch at Tony's.

If I have to pick the best feature of POR it would be that the blinds are almost complete blackout blinds.

Stacy
September 2012 - POR (6N/7D)
Feb 2008 - ASMo (3N/4D)
Old 10-04-2013, 09:33 PM   #714
Sydnerella
enough is as good as a feast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyGurl5 View Post
Returned last night from our 10 day stay. Sad to be home...we were upgraded from standard view to a preferred room in building 18 (yay!) and rec'd the ground floor, corner room we requested. We had a fridge in our room which worked v. well...mousekeeping was great, we got a few towel animals and they took our tip envelopes each day...just left them on our pillow each morning. The new monitor at the South bus stop worked very well...it was usually accurate. In the mornings there was always a castmember working the bus stops. During the 10 days, the longest we waited was 7 mins. - honestly, in our last 4 trips the transportation this time around was an absolute dream! Granted, we are early-morning people but even coming back from the parks at night was great. We used Disney transp. exclusively (no cabs this time at all!) and went all around to different resorts, DD, the waterparks, Boardwalk, mini-golf etc. and it was hassle-free each & every time. I just wanted to comment about it because it's a hot topic on the forums and we spoke about it amongst ourselves also; it was perfect - we would walk up to a stop from/to wherever, and a bus/boat/monorail would be either waiting or would arrive within a minute or two.... We had a great stay. Parks were not busy, my dh and ds (13) rode EE at DAK about 8 times in an hour last Thursday.....they closed the regular line and just let everyone (maybe 15 people) use the Fastpass line and they just rode, got off, got back in "line" (none to speak of) and rode again and again and again....this was between 5 and 6 pm with a 6 pm close that day...we had a Tusker House reservation at 6:15 so this worked out perfectly. We also ate at Ohana's, Mama Melrose, Raglan Road (highlight of the trip), Kona Cafe.....so much food! We saw Cirque du Soleil's La Nouba for the first time - awesome show! Visited the Art of Animation resort, which is so nice - lots of great photo opportunities! POR was beautiful as always - love it there! Miss it already, especially coming back to cool, rainy Canada! Yuck! We had decent weather, the first couple of days were cloudy and a bit rainy but the last 5 or 6 days were beautiful but still hot & humid! Phew - better get to some laundry....sigh.... Oh yeah, the MagicBands are good - we had a couple of hiccups with them but certainly nothing major. We also ended up w. 4 extra snack credits as the Band wouldn't work for payment and the castmember let us have the snacks and insisted we not come back with our regular KTTW card to pay; this was at Typhoon Lagoon and we said we would just grab the card from our locker but she stated it wasn't our fault and just enjoy the free ice-cream....that was a nice surprise, too - although we definitely didn't need the "extra" food! Ha!
Sounds wonderful! So glad for you. It's always hard when it is over! What bus routes did you use for mini golf and the Boardwalk? And how long did it take? We have to go from POR to fantasia Gardens one night and Flying Fish (boardwalk) another.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

October 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside, March 2012 - Port Orleans French Quarter, February 2011 -Carribean Beach, March 2010 - VRBO House, April 2008 - VRBO House, March 2006 - Celebration
Old 10-05-2013, 05:00 AM   #715
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracefulskinny View Post
(We are planning on watching hallowishes from the beach after dinner)
Great plan, it's a lovely view for Hallowishes, especially the perimeter burst fireworks. My Facebook profile picture is of just that view in fact:

(I took that as a quick hand-held snap with my DSLR - not a bad result, normally I'd never take fireworks photos without a tripod)

Andre

Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14

Last edited by andrewilley; 10-05-2013 at 05:08 AM.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:12 AM   #716
Gracefulskinny
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Great plan, it's a lovely view for Hallowishes, especially the perimeter burst fireworks. My Facebook profile picture is of just that view in fact:

(I took that as a quick hand-held snap with my DSLR - not a bad result, normally I'd never take fireworks photos without a tripod)

Andre
Can it be the 11th yet?!?

These last 6 days are just dragging. The cost of planning ahead and preventing the high stress of getting everything done in the last minutes apparently has a downside. Now I don't have much to keep me busy so things can go faster. With everything mostly ready to go at this point DH and I are getting sever vacationitis!
Old 10-05-2013, 12:04 PM   #717
peainapod
Mouseketeer

Is there somewhere I can see pics of the food court area?

Also, how is the food at Boatwright's?
Old 10-05-2013, 02:14 PM   #718
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by peainapod View Post

Photos at www.portorleans.org/gallery-POR-Food.php. And Boatwright's was very nice last time I ate there, athough the service was a little slow.

Andre

Old 10-05-2013, 02:14 PM   #719
slatterie
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by peainapod View Post

http://www.portorleans.org/riversidemill.php

http://www.portorleans.org/gallery-POR-Food.php

Never been to POR (will be in less than 2 weeks! ) so cannot comment on Boatwrights. I think reviews are mixed.
Old 10-05-2013, 02:58 PM   #720
RejoyceoverDisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Andre
You just made my day!!!/week!!!
I never really have got into the crowded park view of fire works so we have plans for Ohana one night and was planning on watching from the beach. You just totally go me happy dancing again!

42 days to go!
We'll be there in time for MVMCP fire works.

2014 - POFQ 26th Anniversary! giggles and yay!
2014 - POR solo trip, 2013 - CSR (25th Anniversary month)
2010 - POFQ (Celebrating my special friend 79th birthday - We adopted each other as daughter/Mother), 2008 - POP (Special vacation with youngest son before high school)
2002 - Fort Wilderness Cabins (Hubby and 2 sons), 2000 - Fort Wilderness Cabins (Hubby and 2 sons)
1988 - Polynesian (Honeymoon), 1985 - Disney Land visit one day (girlfriends)
1983 - Disney World (girlfriend - don't remember where we stayed)
Closed Thread

Tags
faq, por, port orleans riverside

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: