Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 10:46 PM   #691
1GR8DISNEYFAN
Mouseketeer

Thank you to those who made recommendations about what to do for transportation after our 9:45 reservation at Narcoossee's. I think we will play it by ear, and if necessary we will take a cab.
Grew up going to Disneyland at least once a year, Disneyland AP holder since 1996, 1989 WDW off site, 2004 Yaght Club, 2006 Poly, 2008 Poly, 2011 Bonnett Creek, 2012 ASMO, 2013 Port Orleans Riverside, 2014 ASMU

Old 10-03-2013, 11:02 PM   #692
1GR8DISNEYFAN
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooBoyz4us View Post
Hi ya 1GR8DISNEYFAN,

We have almost the identical situation to you! (Except that we are arriving a week earlier )
This will be our first time staying at POR, and our first trip without the kids. We are not quite empty nesters, as ours still live at home.Well, actually, one left the nest and has come back
Anyway.......they are both too busy with work, college and girlfriends to be bothered vacationing with Mom & Dad anymore <gasp!>
So, we are on our own. We are planning a super relaxing pace, and a wonderful week just enjoying eachother and some peace and quiet
How wonderful for you! I hope you have a magical trip.
I feel like this trip will make us feel young again. We live in So California and have been going to DL together since high school,(over 30 years), but it has been many years (I think before kids which is 23 years) since we have gone as just a couple. I know it will be different, but I am expecting great!
Grew up going to Disneyland at least once a year, Disneyland AP holder since 1996, 1989 WDW off site, 2004 Yaght Club, 2006 Poly, 2008 Poly, 2011 Bonnett Creek, 2012 ASMO, 2013 Port Orleans Riverside, 2014 ASMU

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-04-2013, 04:21 AM   #693
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEMY3KIDDOS View Post
You said on the previous page something about more ride photos. We got PP+ last year and got all of our ride photos on that. Is it the same as that still or are they adding even more ride photos? Like are more rides adding this feature?
I think that will definitely happen, yes. The more such new features they add to the system (tied to the RFID and wide-field Magic Band sensors) the more PhotoPasses they can sell. They've got to get their $2bn (and counting) investment back somehow...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX Momof2 View Post
Ok, I'm booked Preferred in AB. How should I do room requests? Is bldg 14 the best? I would love a river view, but also second floor??? Really, don't want parking lot view if it's avoidable.
There are no River View category rooms within the Preferred Location booking category (only standard and garden views) so technically a river or pool view room would be an upgrade. However you can always ask, saying that the close location was most important for you, but an upper floor non-parking lot view, or even a river view if possible, would be really appreciated. You never know, you might get some pixie dust!

See the first FAQ post at the start of this thread, or check out www.portorleans.org/room-requests.php for more information on making requests. Make sure you prioritise your requests in your fax though, so they know which are your most important preferences.

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14

Last edited by andrewilley; 10-04-2013 at 04:27 AM.
Old 10-04-2013, 05:27 AM   #694
sunset7132
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooBoyz4us View Post

Hi ya 1GR8DISNEYFAN,

We have almost the identical situation to you! (Except that we are arriving a week earlier )
This will be our first time staying at POR, and our first trip without the kids. We are not quite empty nesters, as ours still live at home.Well, actually, one left the nest and has come back
Anyway.......they are both too busy with work, college and girlfriends to be bothered vacationing with Mom & Dad anymore <gasp!>
So, we are on our own. We are planning a super relaxing pace, and a wonderful week just enjoying eachother and some peace and quiet
We went kid less last year for the first time and we had fd. I thought I was gonna be I sad but dh and I had a blast . Such a bias we are doin it again in 34 days Enjoy
Old 10-04-2013, 07:33 AM   #695
LOVEMY3KIDDOS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley View Post
I think that will definitely happen, yes. The more such new features they add to the system (tied to the RFID and wide-field Magic Band sensors) the more PhotoPasses they can sell. They've got to get their $2bn (and counting) investment back somehow...

Andre
LOL Is it too much for me to ask to have the extras added in for my trip in 25 days???!!!

Check out my etsy shop: WallScraps for handmade personalized Disney autograph books, countdowns and scrapbooks!
Old 10-04-2013, 07:47 AM   #696
kaysmommie
DIS Veteran

I just booked a short 4 night stay at POR before our cruise on the Disney Dream in March. I need opinions please! So which do you prefer Alligator Bayou or the Mansions? We stayed in a Royal Room when they first opened but that was our only stay at POR. The DD13 prefers the Royal Room but she didn't even really walk through AB. Just said the name "Alligator By You" bothers her. DS9 says he doesn't care which section. And I'm undecided. LOL! It's a $100 less to book the garden view and $50 less to get a preferred in AB. Decisions decisions. Thanks in advance
Old 10-04-2013, 08:07 AM   #697
pianoronni37
Building my Disney vacationer resume :)

Thank you so much for this thread! I haven't been to POR since January 2012, and while it seems like a short time to be away, logically... well... it's just been forever.

Can't wait to get back in February, POR is my favorite of all the resorts. I can't bring myself to stay anywhere else. The tranquility, the peacefulness, the open layout, the boat to DTD, the river, the walk to POFQ...

Hurry up, February. My goodness.
2011 02/11-02/16: POR
2012 01/22-01/28: POR
2014 02/22-03/02: POR
2015 04/12-04/15: DISNEYLAND!

Old 10-04-2013, 08:24 AM   #698
ny3boys
Mouseketeer

Hi! My family of 5 is making our first ever trip to Disney Nov 10th-15th and staying at POR. Kids are DS9, DS8, and DS6. The youngest has some health issues (immune compromised, severe acid reflux disease, asthma, allergies, failure to thrive). I got some good information on the disABILITIES boards and the dining boards. We booked with a travel agent, and we did give her some room requests (connecting room with my ILs, near main building since DS6 tires easily and if gets sick we will be closer to assistance, first floor since we may use a stroller with him sometimes too, and a fridge since he needs to take in extra calories and drinks whole milk that isn't widely available on the property). Does anyone have any good advice for me? What are the chances we get those requests? Do you think that is too many? Should I fax in a confirming request before we leave, or is that something my travel agent takes care of?

Thanks!
Old 10-04-2013, 08:36 AM   #699
carmelhp
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srbright View Post
We went to MNSSHP on the same day and did not have this issue. Granted hindsight is 20/20 but why would you have waited for 90 minutes without saying anything? The drivers and staff do not know who is waiting for what bus at each stop.

Stacy
What stop were you at and what time? As I said, others did go in and tell the staff though it shouldn't have been hard to guess that there was a problem when both of the shelters (A&B) had overflowing crowds. At least 3 MK buses passed without stopping and there must have been a dozen DT Disney buses pass during that time.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:39 AM   #700
aroundtheriverbend
DIS Veteran

Quote:

This is something I try to explain when people ask which bus stop to wait at - the buses don't all use the same route, and the MK ones do the outer circuit first and then go to the South Depot. So if there has been a problem, and there are a lot of people waiting, they can fill up with guests from West/North/East before even getting to the South Depot. The theory is that some people coming back from the parks will then get off at the South Depot making more space, but personally I normally only get off a South if I'm in staying the region of the preferred AB buildings, so I think the numbers are pretty small compared to the likely queues. The bus drivers are meant to radio in for extra buses if they are full and have to leave a lot of guests behind.

Andre
Hi Andre, thanks again for all your great advice on this site and yours. We are finally getting really close - we get in late Tuesday night. Our first day in the parks is MK - does the outer circuit path apply even before park opening? We're in Royal Rooms so my thought is that the East stop is maybe our best bet the first morning then. Any wisdom appreciated!

Allison

Me DH DS10 DD8
Old 10-04-2013, 10:38 AM   #701
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaysmommie View Post
It's a $100 less to book the garden view and $50 less to get a preferred in AB. Decisions decisions. Thanks
Preferred Location would be in AB only (and I rather like those rooms to be honest - the theming is great fun, and the smaller buildings and the bayou woodsy location are great). Garden View could be in either section (not Royal Rooms though) so go for that if you are undecided and just see what you get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny3boys View Post
Should I fax in a confirming request before we leave, or is that something my travel agent takes care of?
Medical requests are much more likely to be actioned that general ones, and yes I think that sending a fax yourself, with the details of what you need and what you'd like in your own words, would be a good idea. Explain why you need these things, just like you have done here, to help them better understand your requests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmelhp View Post
At least 3 MK buses passed without stopping and there must have been a dozen DT Disney buses pass during that time.
This is a common comment ("lots of buses for xxxx came past empty, why couldn't one of those be diverted to the MK?) The problem is that the hubs which the buses are based from are at each PARK. An Epcot bus needs to go back to Epcot as its "home base".

I'm guessing the issues described above were shortly before a party evening, when suddenly a lot more people are going to the MK mid-late afternoon than would normally be making that trip? Sounds like they didn't predict the demand well enough, and thus they didn't arrange for enough extra buses to service the MK route.

(POFQ is a "backup hub" by the way, and buses can be released from the parking lot near to building 7 to add to specific park routes)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroundtheriverbend View Post
Our first day in the parks is MK - does the outer circuit path apply even before park opening? We're in Royal Rooms so my thought is that the East stop is maybe our best bet the first morning then.
It should do, yes. East Depot for MK buses is a good choice. Not sure about very early times though (such as for breakfast at 8am, where you want to leave by 7am). If you want to go that early, I'd suggest using the South Depot just in case.

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
Old 10-04-2013, 11:03 AM   #702
Gracefulskinny
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I'm guessing the issues described above were shortly before a party evening, when suddenly a lot more people are going to the MK mid-late afternoon than would normally be making that trip? Sounds like they didn't predict the demand well enough, and thus they didn't arrange for enough extra buses to service the MK route.
Dh have a reservation for Ohana for 8pm next friday. Were were planing to start heading that way about 6pm. Should I factor in a bit more time due to the party at mk? or would it be easier to hop an epcot bus?

(We aren't opposed to taking a ride around the monorail. As a matter of fact if we get that way with enough time we plan to take a loop around for the fun of it. )
Old 10-04-2013, 11:23 AM   #703
TooBoyz4us
Run! The Tag Fairies are everywhere!
Please stop licking your monitor. It's hard to clean the smudges off, and electrocution sounds painful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1GR8DISNEYFAN View Post
How wonderful for you! I hope you have a magical trip.
I feel like this trip will make us feel young again. We live in So California and have been going to DL together since high school,(over 30 years), but it has been many years (I think before kids which is 23 years) since we have gone as just a couple. I know it will be different, but I am expecting great!
Yours will be great!!! And magical

9/1997 @ CBR...10/2002 @ CSR ...9/2004@WL...9/2009@ CSR......
11/2013 @ POR
Old 10-04-2013, 11:50 AM   #704
Ashlander
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracefulskinny View Post
Dh have a reservation for Ohana for 8pm next friday. Were were planing to start heading that way about 6pm. Should I factor in a bit more time due to the party at mk? or would it be easier to hop an epcot bus?

(We aren't opposed to taking a ride around the monorail. As a matter of fact if we get that way with enough time we plan to take a loop around for the fun of it. )
We normally hop on whichever bus comes first. If you are leaving at 6pm you will have plenty of time.

Me, DH, DS(11), DD(10), DD(8)

Old 10-04-2013, 12:20 PM   #705
Gracefulskinny
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashlander View Post
We normally hop on whichever bus comes first. If you are leaving at 6pm you will have plenty of time.
Thats kinda what I was thinking. Good to hear my plan is sound. Thanks!

Tags
faq, por, port orleans riverside

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: