Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-22-2013, 05:33 PM   #2446
Sue M
DIS Veteran
 
Sue M's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: B.C.
Posts: 9,580

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeki View Post
I will be taking a last minute trip to WDW next month and I am trying to decide on what room requests would be best. I have read through most of the posts here and it has been very helpful, thank you!

I have decided on a Royal room as I have 4yr and 18mo old daughters. I am trying to decide if the garden view is worth the upgrade and what requests to make (corner, top or ground level, which building, etc). My goals are to be as close to the main areas and bus as possible due to a chronic health condition. Also, I read that construction will be starting in January and we will be there 17th to the 24th.

I really appreciate any advice you can give. This is our first trip as a family and I haven't been to WDW in 20 years. It is overwhelming trying to make sure I have all the details figured out in such a short time. Thank goodness for wonderful resources such as this!
I would as for a location close to a bridge to main areas and state why. The more the room assignors know why you need a certain location the better chance you'll have of getting it, esp if it's a medical issue.
I've found the room assignors at POR try hard to give you your requests.

And with young ones in strollers, ground floor would prob be easiest for you. The mansions only have 1 elevator, and location may be far from your room.
__________________
Past Trips:
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 7-Sept 3 2014 Ft Lauderdale, Universal, WDW GF & GF CL
Sue M is offline  
Old 12-22-2013, 11:43 PM   #2447
teeki
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue M View Post
I would as for a location close to a bridge to main areas and state why. The more the room assignors know why you need a certain location the better chance you'll have of getting it, esp if it's a medical issue.
I've found the room assignors at POR try hard to give you your requests.

And with young ones in strollers, ground floor would prob be easiest for you. The mansions only have 1 elevator, and location may be far from your room.
That's what I was wondering, also...it may be better to be closer on the ground floor with a stroller than have to walk further to the elevator and an upper level room. There are standard and garden Royal Rooms available right now and I think I'm going with the garden for a better chance of getting closer.

Thanks for the help!
teeki is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 12-23-2013, 12:08 AM   #2448
Sue M
DIS Veteran
 
Sue M's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: B.C.
Posts: 9,580

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeki View Post
That's what I was wondering, also...it may be better to be closer on the ground floor with a stroller than have to walk further to the elevator and an upper level room. There are standard and garden Royal Rooms available right now and I think I'm going with the garden for a better chance of getting closer.

Thanks for the help!
I always book a garden view, because most standard views are at the back. But, you'd be closer to bus stop in the back. I just don't like facing the parking lot.
We prefer using the bus stop behind Magnolia Terrace. It's quieter and less chaotic then main depot.
__________________
Past Trips:
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 7-Sept 3 2014 Ft Lauderdale, Universal, WDW GF & GF CL
Sue M is offline  
Old 12-23-2013, 06:50 AM   #2449
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity
I got carted off in the meat wagon
 
Venomhatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Originally from Newport News, VA but Home is Kissimmee, FL
Posts: 4,750

Good morning POR fans! I hope no feels like I do waking up this morning. Downed the biggest redbull I could find last night to wrap presents then went to bed and woke up not feeling rested lol. I wonder why! Hope everyone has a Magical Day and safe Holidays!!!
Venomhatch is offline  
Old 12-23-2013, 08:11 AM   #2450
Canooknic
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, AB, Canada
Posts: 454

Hope you feel better soon! I would love a Redbull right now after a night with 2 coughing 5 year olds!!!
__________________
Me DH DS 5 DS 5

POR Feb 6-14 2013
POR Feb 2-11 2014
Canooknic is offline  
Old 12-23-2013, 08:13 AM   #2451
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity
I got carted off in the meat wagon
 
Venomhatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Originally from Newport News, VA but Home is Kissimmee, FL
Posts: 4,750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canooknic View Post
Hope you feel better soon! I would love a Redbull right now after a night with 2 coughing 5 year olds!!!
Thanks. I can operate with a few hours of sleep, lol. Well I do hope everyone is feeling well before Feb!!!
Venomhatch is offline  
Old 12-23-2013, 08:18 AM   #2452
Sue M
DIS Veteran
 
Sue M's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: B.C.
Posts: 9,580

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomhatch View Post
Good morning POR fans! I hope no feels like I do waking up this morning. Downed the biggest redbull I could find last night to wrap presents then went to bed and woke up not feeling rested lol. I wonder why! Hope everyone has a Magical Day and safe Holidays!!!
Hope your day gets better! That's what I have to do today, wrap!
__________________
Past Trips:
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 7-Sept 3 2014 Ft Lauderdale, Universal, WDW GF & GF CL
Sue M is offline  
Old 12-23-2013, 09:04 AM   #2453
jcyoung
Mouseketeer
 
jcyoung's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Indiana
Posts: 146

I am officially UNDER 300 days!!! In 299 more days, we will be at POR for our first time at the resort!

Just thought I'd pop on here and share my excitement!
__________________


Me DH DD(7) DS(6) DS(4)
jcyoung is offline  
Old 12-23-2013, 09:23 AM   #2454
Gorechick
DIS Veteran
 
Gorechick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,226

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeki View Post
I will be taking a last minute trip to WDW next month and I am trying to decide on what room requests would be best. I have read through most of the posts here and it has been very helpful, thank you!

I have decided on a Royal room as I have 4yr and 18mo old daughters. I am trying to decide if the garden view is worth the upgrade and what requests to make (corner, top or ground level, which building, etc). My goals are to be as close to the main areas and bus as possible due to a chronic health condition. Also, I read that construction will be starting in January and we will be there 17th to the 24th.

I really appreciate any advice you can give. This is our first trip as a family and I haven't been to WDW in 20 years. It is overwhelming trying to make sure I have all the details figured out in such a short time. Thank goodness for wonderful resources such as this!
If you request a room in the center of either RR building it's convenient to the elevator and a lovely walk past the fountains and through the courtyards to the bridge to main buildings and south depot.
__________________
Hotel Royal Plaza July 1987
Contemporary Resort July 1989
Dixie Landings August 1996
DTD-Courtyard by Marriott August 1997
Wilderness Lodge Honeymoon August 2002
Port Orleans- French Quarter Anniversary (AND Hurricane Charley) August 2004
Port Orleans- Riverside Royal Room- 10th Anniversary and First Trip with Twins August 2012
DS's WISH trip - Hopefully Aulani Resort! Summer 2015

Me (44) DH (40) DS (9) DD (9)

Waiting impatiently for our next family WDW trip!
Gorechick is offline  
Old 12-23-2013, 10:05 AM   #2455
alan_renfroe
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Jacksonville, AL
Posts: 2,057

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcyoung View Post
I am officially UNDER 300 days!!! In 299 more days, we will be at POR for our first time at the resort!

Just thought I'd pop on here and share my excitement!
Woohooo! I love celebrating milestones! We will be at POR for the first time in 159 days....so our milestone today is that we are now double digits (99) until we can make our FP+ selections!
__________________
Alan Renfroe

1200 pics, 1100 miles, 15 deluxe dining meals, 7 days, 6 nights, 1 great time at POR May 29-June 5, 2014 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3289594

Past trip reports:
Team Renfroe's 2nd Trip Report, May 15-22, 2009 - 1500 pictures, dining reviews and DISmeets! - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2187084
Pre-Trip Report for May, 2009 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1884986
First trip report with TONS of pics - May, 2008 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1841491
alan_renfroe is offline  
Old 12-24-2013, 09:07 AM   #2456
Mama Steph
DIS Veteran
 
Mama Steph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 691

56 days til we arrive at POR! The kids find out tomorrow and I can't wait for them to start planning with me!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
__________________
Our Disney Family






Mama Steph is offline  
Old 12-24-2013, 10:18 AM   #2457
Sue M
DIS Veteran
 
Sue M's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: B.C.
Posts: 9,580

36 days
__________________
Past Trips:
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 7-Sept 3 2014 Ft Lauderdale, Universal, WDW GF & GF CL
Sue M is offline  
Old 12-24-2013, 07:02 PM   #2458
hippsmom
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 299

Just back from our first stay at POR and we loved it. This place is truly beautiful and the staff helpful and friendly. It was so nice to come back to the serenity of POR after a busy day at the parks. Food court was so much better than expected, tasty make your own pasta! Buses service while not perfect was pretty good too.

While I had booked a RR std view to get free dining I was hoping to be not horribly far from the main lobby due to dd golfing. So thanks to this thread I sent a fax request for ground floor, close to lobby and explained why. Well, I could kiss whoever assigned us our room. We were given a corner room, 9529, which when I looked at Andre's map was a upgrade to river view. The room location could not have been better for us and made our trip truly magical!!

I cannot say enough about our stay here. It would make it very hard to stay anywhere else!
hippsmom is offline  
Old 12-24-2013, 07:50 PM   #2459
Evangeline76
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippsmom View Post
Just back from our first stay at POR and we loved it. This place is truly beautiful and the staff helpful and friendly. It was so nice to come back to the serenity of POR after a busy day at the parks. Food court was so much better than expected, tasty make your own pasta! Buses service while not perfect was pretty good too.

While I had booked a RR std view to get free dining I was hoping to be not horribly far from the main lobby due to dd golfing. So thanks to this thread I sent a fax request for ground floor, close to lobby and explained why. Well, I could kiss whoever assigned us our room. We were given a corner room, 9529, which when I looked at Andre's map was a upgrade to river view. The room location could not have been better for us and made our trip truly magical!!

I cannot say enough about our stay here. It would make it very hard to stay anywhere else!
Thanks so much for the great review and glad you had such an excellent trip!!! We leave in 14 days for our first stay at POR...yay!!! I get so excited hearing about everybody's trips. Happy Christmas!
Evangeline76 is offline  
Old 12-24-2013, 08:26 PM   #2460
alan_renfroe
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Jacksonville, AL
Posts: 2,057

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippsmom View Post
Just back from our first stay at POR and we loved it. This place is truly beautiful and the staff helpful and friendly. It was so nice to come back to the serenity of POR after a busy day at the parks. Food court was so much better than expected, tasty make your own pasta! Buses service while not perfect was pretty good too.

While I had booked a RR std view to get free dining I was hoping to be not horribly far from the main lobby due to dd golfing. So thanks to this thread I sent a fax request for ground floor, close to lobby and explained why. Well, I could kiss whoever assigned us our room. We were given a corner room, 9529, which when I looked at Andre's map was a upgrade to river view. The room location could not have been better for us and made our trip truly magical!!

I cannot say enough about our stay here. It would make it very hard to stay anywhere else!
Awesome review! Now you've really got me excited!
__________________
Alan Renfroe

1200 pics, 1100 miles, 15 deluxe dining meals, 7 days, 6 nights, 1 great time at POR May 29-June 5, 2014 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3289594

Past trip reports:
Team Renfroe's 2nd Trip Report, May 15-22, 2009 - 1500 pictures, dining reviews and DISmeets! - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2187084
Pre-Trip Report for May, 2009 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1884986
First trip report with TONS of pics - May, 2008 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1841491
alan_renfroe is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
faq, por, port orleans riverside



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:39 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: