Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 12:46 PM   #226
mrsmomo
DIS Veteran

I say be thankful there's a place to do laundry lol, I have many years of laundry mats under my belt and none of the are ever air conditioned!

Me DH DD DS
Old 09-20-2013, 04:23 PM   #227
Srbright
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by merentha
Checked in about an hour ago everything has been awesome! We got upgraded to a Royal Room so my wife and daughter are on cloud 90000000.

The bridge by lobby to ol man island is closed looks like redoing planks and also looks almost done.
We were upgraded from Garden View to preferred and it is great!!!! Having a wonderful time!!!

Stacy
Feb 2008 - ASMo (3N/4D)
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-20-2013, 06:51 PM   #228
Patience
DIS Veteran

Regarding the location of the royal rooms, we were upgraded from a standard view royal room to a garden view royal room and were in Parterre Place. A lot of people say to ask for Oak Manor because it is closer to the footbridge to the main lobby but our room was really close to the footbridge and it was just a few minutes walk to the lobby, food court and the south bus depot. We were in the wing of Parterre Place that is closest to Oak Manor. It seriously took no more than 5 minutes to walk to the food court at a leisurely pace. I really liked our location.

The footbridge from the food court area to the main pool was open when we were there this past week. We only used the main pool once and the quiet pool twice. We did laundry one night while our daughter swam in the quiet pool located between Oak Manor and Parterre Place and I can't really say if the laundry room was air conditioned or not. We just put our clothes in and then sat out by the pool while they washed and then did the same thing while they dried. Our room did not have a refrigerator when we arrived but I had an antibiotic that needed to be refrigerated and they brought us a refrigerator within a couple of hours. The refrigerator did have a small (dorm sized) freezer section by the way. It was definitely big enough to put an ice pack.

We loved our stay at Port Orleans Riverside and plan to go back in two years. I liked our royal room but we probably will stay in a regular room next time. I thought our royal room was a little dark because of the dark colors in the room and the direction our room faced. My daughter loved all of the royal details, however, and the headboards were definitely a hit. All in all, a very enjoyable stay and a lovely resort!

Last edited by Patience; 09-20-2013 at 09:28 PM.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:34 PM   #229
TDDisney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
Setting up camp....I can't speak to the poster's situation, but we wait with our clothes. Until recently the clothes we brought on vacation were pretty much all of our clothes. And I once had a whole load of clothes stolen entirely from my apartment complex laundry room, which was fairly financially devastating at the time. And emotionally devastating still, 20 years later. I won't leave my clothes, so air conditioning in a laundry room is highly important.
When we stayed at POR in 2010, we did laundry and sweated our butts off! We did wait outside the laundry room at the very close quiet pool, but we sweated just during the short time we were in there doing and folding the laundry. I'm wondering if this is the same laundry spot? If so, it would seem that there are no plans to fixing the ac in there.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:46 PM   #230
bethy82
Earning My Ears

First trip to POR

I'm so excited to be going to POR in November! First time staying at this resort.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:11 PM   #231
gipcrew4
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDDisney View Post

When we stayed at POR in 2010, we did laundry and sweated our butts off! We did wait outside the laundry room at the very close quiet pool, but we sweated just during the short time we were in there doing and folding the laundry. I'm wondering if this is the same laundry spot? If so, it would seem that there are no plans to fixing the ac in there.
There's a sign that says 'pardon our pixie dust while we upgrade the air conditioning' or something similar. Yes be prepared to sweat! But at least the pool will cool you off after.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:02 PM   #232
LOVEMY3KIDDOS
DIS Veteran

Question (because I couldn't find the answer in the search )

What is allowable for decorating your windows? My daughter wants to decorate for Halloween when we get there and then for Christmas before we leave since we are doing both. We grabbed some little things at Target. They need to be hung. Can we use tape or does it need to be like suction cup type hangers?

Check out my etsy shop: WallScraps for handmade personalized Disney autograph books, countdowns and scrapbooks!
Old 09-21-2013, 01:44 AM   #233
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patience View Post
A lot of people say to ask for Oak Manor because it is closer to the footbridge to the main lobby but our room was really close to the footbridge and it was just a few minutes walk to the lobby
This is why I'm often hesitant when people ask what building they should request. Normally it's not really a building that they really want to ask for, but a general location, or a proximity for some amenity. Your example is a prefect case in point; while Parterre Place is generally a bit further away from the action than Oak Manor is, the very best/closest Royal Rooms are actually the River View ones in the northern wing section of Parterre (and the ones nearby).

So I tend to suggest that if people want a location close to the footbridge to the main buildings then that's exactly what they should ask for, rather than giving a preference for one building or another. Those buildings are big, and each contain some nicely located rooms but also some more remote ones.

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
Old 09-21-2013, 02:19 AM   #234
isabelle25
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelovebug
Had to post a quick update...the cords did "turn up" in a pocket that was overlooked twice! Wow now my friend feels like an idiot, but she did go down to the desk and apologize. Another perfect day!!
Thank you very much for the update, i was beginning to become really afraid of leaving something in my room next summer. Xxx
Old 09-21-2013, 06:52 AM   #235
jseiden420
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEMY3KIDDOS View Post
Question (because I couldn't find the answer in the search ) What is allowable for decorating your windows? My daughter wants to decorate for Halloween when we get there and then for Christmas before we leave since we are doing both. We grabbed some little things at Target. They need to be hung. Can we use tape or does it need to be like suction cup type hangers?
Great question! We plan on doing the same thing. Hope someone has a definitive answer.

Also, any updates on the fridge situation Andre?

Old 09-21-2013, 07:18 AM   #236
btirendi
KingPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley View Post
This is why I'm often hesitant when people ask what building they should request. Normally it's not really a building that they really want to ask for, but a general location, or a proximity for some amenity. Your example is a prefect case in point; while Parterre Place is generally a bit further away from the action than Oak Manor is, the very best/closest Royal Rooms are actually the River View ones in the northern wing section of Parterre (and the ones nearby).

So I tend to suggest that if people want a location close to the footbridge to the main buildings then that's exactly what they should ask for, rather than giving a preference for one building or another. Those buildings are big, and each contain some nicely located rooms but also some more remote ones.

Andre
Im coming to POR at end of October for first time. Im staying in Royal- Pool View. I was thinking of requesting a second floor in Oak Manor on the River end of the Bldg...Does that make sense as a request. My thought was I wanted to be closer to the river than the other side of Oak Manor steps. It looks like most rooms are on that side and if Im looking right - Parterre only has 2 pool view rooms in the bldg.
Old 09-21-2013, 07:49 AM   #237
mickeysmiles
Mouseketeer

Hello all,
We are planning a trip for Dec. 2014. This would be our first time staying at PO Riverside. My question is in the AB rooms how is the storage? My wife loves to unpack and put things away. With the murphy bed it doesn't seem like there is a dresser in the room. Is there anywhere to
clothes?

Thanks

Go Phillies!!!!!
Old 09-21-2013, 08:14 AM   #238
kdaniels16
Earning My Ears

I know there have been coffee questions before but just can't find them. I remember reading the coffee option in the room was getting switched soon- has it been switched and has anyone tried it? Also, do they provide creamer (powder or little cups)? 6 days till we arrive!
Old 09-21-2013, 08:30 AM   #239
DisneyFEB2013
Mouseketeer

We are staying at Port Orleans in early February 2014. Excited but nervous. We stayed at WL last year and while it was nice, we weren't blown away. Lobby was beautiful as were the grounds, rooms were not $350 a night room.... Just your standard hotel room. Just didn't feel the price was worth it. If you have stayed at both, which did you like better? Hoping we love POR!!
Old 09-21-2013, 08:36 AM   #240
Yellowstonetim
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdaniels16 View Post
I know there have been coffee questions before but just can't find them. I remember reading the coffee option in the room was getting switched soon- has it been switched and has anyone tried it? Also, do they provide creamer (powder or little cups)? 6 days till we arrive!
Yes the coffee was changed and is now Joffrey's. Coffee is a matter of personal taste, but I and most people think it is good. They give you little plastic envelopes that are sealed and contain a stirrer, napkin, sugar, and powdered creamer. We bought our own creamer from the grocery store. They sell milk at the store. The coffee comes in pods that are little flat filter pockets containing enough coffee for one cup. The coffee maker has two sides to make one or two cups at once and our room came with 2 regular and 2 decaf pods. We asked for extra and received 3 or 4 of each a day.

"Remember, no matter where you go... there you are!" Buckaroo Banzai

1980 - Disneyland for 1 day while in the US Navy
1981-1983 Several 1 day visits while living in Orlando
1984- 1996 Several one and two day visits while visiting family
2000 January - 4 Nights, 5 Days - All Star Movies
2012 January - 5 Nights, 6 Days - Caribbean Beach
2013 September - 9 Nights, 10 days - Port Orleans Riverside Royal Room.
2014 November - ?
Closed Thread

Tags
faq, por, port orleans riverside

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: