Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 08:47 AM   #211
WyoMickey
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley View Post
Unfortunately, you have chosen to visit during an off-peak time (hence why Disney offers free dining deals at this time of year) so you do need to expect some maintenance to be going on - they have to do the work sometime, and off-peak inconveniences the least number of people. Sadly though, you are one of those people.

The bridge (well, one bridge out of the three) over to the island is closed daytime-only for a few days for decking replacement. It should probably be done by today or tomorrow I'd have thought. The pool lifeguards (and hence the slide too) usually finish at 8pm, or 10pm during peak summer periods. The pools are still open (and yes, they do have to shut the whole pool at least once a year for routine maintenance) but they do shut the slide and water features when there is no one on duty. The lifeguards might be on duty longer at the weekend, but I can't say for sure.

The campfire firepit is being updated (I believe to fit in with safety regulations, but I'm not sure). It's due to re-open sometime mid/late September after a month's downtime, but the exact date is a bit flexible as some of the work is weather dependent. In the meantime, the POFQ one is lovely and the resort is worth a visit anyway (if you don't fancy the walk ask if they can take you over there for the firepit, or get the water ferry).

The aircon in the laundry seems a relatively small point unless you want to set up camp in there, but I guess on top of the other things it's an extra annoyance for you - however again, they do need to do work sometime.

Towel animals are a nice bit of pixie dust if you get them, but not a listed room feature as far as I recall so it'd be hard to make a complaint based on that.

And do remember that these same sorts of jobs needs to be done at Values and Deluxes, so it could just as easily happen to you there. Well, apart from the pool slide anyway, the Values don't have one to close.

Andre
Love it. Disney cast member training is the best in the world in regards to customer service. However, they are real people too and can't please everyone. I've never been able to in real life Sometimes things hit people just wrong though, especially if you are trying to hit a particular benefit and it's not there. At that point one can choose frustration or be flexible and find other hidden magic.

Old 09-20-2013, 08:49 AM   #212
candeeapril
Disney is my happy thought...now if I could only fly

What preferred building has a good view? thanks

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-20-2013, 08:54 AM   #213
WyoMickey
Earning My Ears

Room Safe

Room safes are complimentary right? Disney doesn't try to make a buck here, do they?

Old 09-20-2013, 08:55 AM   #214
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoMickey View Post
Room safes are complimentary right?
Right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoMickey View Post
Disney doesn't try to make a buck here, do they?
Nope.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:04 AM   #215
gipcrew4
Earning My Ears

Quote:

Unfortunately, you have chosen to visit during an off-peak time (hence why Disney offers free dining deals at this time of year) so you do need to expect some maintenance to be going on - they have to do the work sometime, and off-peak inconveniences the least number of people. Sadly though, you are one of those people.
Good point! I guess there is a price for everything (no free lunch, right?)

Quote:
The bridge (well, one bridge out of the three) over to the island is closed daytime-only for a few days for decking replacement. It should probably be done by today or tomorrow I'd have thought.
This isn't that big of an issue. It was however the first day that we were trying to get to the marina for our kids' pirate adventure. I called the front desk to see the best detour route (we did not realize there was another bridge just down the side walk that went to the lobby and bypassed the island) and the front desk told us there was no other way except the island or walking the perimeter. Maybe it was a language barrier?

Quote:
The pool lifeguards (and hence the slide too) usually finish at 8pm, or 10pm during peak summer periods. The pools are still open (and yes, they do have to shut the whole pool at least once a year for routine maintenance) but they do shut the slide and water features when there is no one on duty. The lifeguards might be on duty longer at the weekend, but I can't say for sure.
A sign stating the times would be helpful, but now we know and hopefully those about to checkin at POR will know as well and not plan on swim/slide time after that like we've unfortunately done.

Quote:
The campfire firepit is being updated (I believe to fit in with safety regulations, but I'm not sure). It's due to re-open sometime mid/late September after a month's downtime, but the exact date is a bit flexible as some of the work is weather dependent. In the meantime, the POFQ one is lovely and the resort is worth a visit anyway (if you don't fancy the walk ask if they can take you over there for the firepit, or get the water ferry).
Again, not a huge deal, but still an inconvenience. The only time we went to FQ at night, we had a hard time getting back to POR. It's more of us being here for the first time and not familiar with all the small details.

Quote:
The aircon in the laundry seems a relatively small point unless you want to set up camp in there, but I guess on top of the other things it's an extra annoyance for you - however again, they do need to do work sometime.
This was just my 'proverbial straw.' I was super irritated by the pool and campfire situations that we had just missed (after planning for a 'downtime' afternoon for these things and laundry) and then I get to the laundry facility and its 7 degrees hotter than hades.

Quote:
And do remember that these same sorts of jobs needs to be done at Values and Deluxes, so it could just as easily happen to you there. Well, apart from the pool slide anyway, the Values don't have one to close.

Andre
Very good point. Next time I will know more about the resorts in general and what's really important for our family.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:23 AM   #216
TangledUPMerida
Earning My Ears

We are booking for January, with a royal guest room....location wise is this one of the better choices...and compared to the standard room is it worth the extra couple of dollars?? I am loving this thread, the information is great,
Old 09-20-2013, 10:55 AM   #217
stef12280
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by gipcrew4 View Post
Good point! I guess there is a price for everything (no free lunch, right?)

This isn't that big of an issue. It was however the first day that we were trying to get to the marina for our kids' pirate adventure. I called the front desk to see the best detour route (we did not realize there was another bridge just down the side walk that went to the lobby and bypassed the island) and the front desk told us there was no other way except the island or walking the perimeter. Maybe it was a language barrier?

A sign stating the times would be helpful, but now we know and hopefully those about to checkin at POR will know as well and not plan on swim/slide time after that like we've unfortunately done.

Again, not a huge deal, but still an inconvenience. The only time we went to FQ at night, we had a hard time getting back to POR. It's more of us being here for the first time and not familiar with all the small details.

This was just my 'proverbial straw.' I was super irritated by the pool and campfire situations that we had just missed (after planning for a 'downtime' afternoon for these things and laundry) and then I get to the laundry facility and its 7 degrees hotter than hades.

Very good point. Next time I will know more about the resorts in general and what's really important for our family.
HI
I can understand your fustration but YOUR ON VACATION sit back and enjoy! Its better than being at home. I will be there in 8 days so ezxcited!!!!
Old 09-20-2013, 11:23 AM   #218
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangledUPMerida View Post
We are booking for January, with a royal guest room....location wise is this one of the better choices...
You don't really book Royal Rooms for the location (some of them are quite far from the main areas in fact) but for the rooms themselves and the little details. Especially if you have younger children, the Royal Rooms are great fun.

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
Old 09-20-2013, 11:45 AM   #219
SalandJeff
Disney Addict x2
Likes a nice hot cup of tea

Sadly, I think we are going to have to cancel our October 19 trip.

Has anyone visited in March? How are the crowds and the weather? Trying to avoid spring break, which for us is mid April.

Me DH DD 10
Old 09-20-2013, 12:09 PM   #220
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gipcrew4 View Post

For the future, calling the "front desk" at any wdw resort does not get you the front desk. It gets you to a call center that is likely out of state staffed by people who might never have even been to Florida. They simply don't know what it's truly like at the resorts.

And also for the future...and please know that I know this the same way you will and I know what it feels like (disastrous stay at Jambo in 2010 then a rotten time trying to get back to resort at universal in 2012 or 2011)), almost all the info needed for a stay is given to you at checkin. The map in your checkin folder should show you the paths around the resort. The schedule of events should have given the info about where things were being held and probably even the slide hours.

And I know from our very first resort stay, at CBR, that their slide closes too at a certain point in the evening. I expect it's the same at all resorts because the lifeguards leave.

When I got home and saw the map of Jambo to Kidani, after the walking path caused the start of big issues that caused my stay to be rather cruddy, I resolved to read what they give us ASAP. And then I realized a year or so later that I'd been neglecting that when I found info I had really needed while at citywalk, in the pamphlet provided to us at checkin. I hope that helps you in the future.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
Old 09-20-2013, 12:16 PM   #221
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Setting up camp....I can't speak to the poster's situation, but we wait with our clothes. Until recently the clothes we brought on vacation were pretty much all of our clothes. And I once had a whole load of clothes stolen entirely from my apartment complex laundry room, which was fairly financially devastating at the time. And emotionally devastating still, 20 years later. I won't leave my clothes, so air conditioning in a laundry room is highly important.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
Old 09-20-2013, 12:29 PM   #222
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
Setting up camp....I can't speak to the poster's situation, but we wait with our clothes.
It's not so much of an issue at Port Orleans as the laundry rooms are right beside the swimming pools, so you can sit out on a lounger, drink-in-hand, while your clothes clean themselves and you can still watch the door like a hawk.

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
Old 09-20-2013, 12:30 PM   #223
gipcrew4
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by stef12280 View Post

HI
I can understand your fustration but YOUR ON VACATION sit back and enjoy! Its better than being at home. I will be there in 8 days so ezxcited!!!!
We are I'm over it. We are sitting in the west wing enjoying lunch at BOG on our last day (delicious btw!)

Last edited by gipcrew4; 09-20-2013 at 02:50 PM.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:30 PM   #224
DanInMN
Mouseketeer

We will be at POR tomorrow! See you all at Boatwrights for dinner and next door with Yehaw Bob afterwards.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:39 PM   #225
webstah
DIS Veteran

Quote:
It's not so much of an issue at Port Orleans as the laundry rooms are right beside the swimming pools, so you can sit out on a lounger, drink-in-hand, while your clothes clean themselves and you can still watch the door like a hawk.

Andre
This is pretty much what we do. We head down to the laundry and my wife starts it while I run to the food court for breakfast. We eat a leisurely breakfast pool side and check the laundry. I bring the tray back to the food court and then we fold the laundry, bring it back to the room and we're off to the parks.
Sept 2010 POR Sept 2011 POR Sept 2012 POR
Sept 2013 POR Aug/Sept 2014 POR

Closed Thread

Tags
faq, por, port orleans riverside

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: