Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 08:45 AM   #1936
webstah
DIS Veteran

Originally Posted by evncorp
Good Morning, been reading all these posts since we booked our trip 2 months ago. My parents are taking us on a family vacation to WDW Nov 22-Nov 29. Unfortunately this will probably be my fathers last trip, as he has been fighting cancer for ten years. This will also be my sons first WDW trip, he is 8. What would be the best way to try to get some "pixie dust" for my parents and or my son? Any and all suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

If your father is a Veteran, then you could try to get to Magic Kingdom for rope drop and immediately go to the Town Hall and ask about his being the Veteran of the Day. He would get to participate in the Flag Retreat, get a certificate, a special pin, and an 8X10 picture of his participation.
Sept 2010 POR Sept 2011 POR Sept 2012 POR
Sept 2013 POR Aug/Sept 2014 POR

Old 11-11-2013, 02:02 PM   #1937
Princess Michele
Mouseketeer

POR/POFQ Advice

I'm sorry for the long post but I am looking for some advice in planning my trip.

We are going on a Disney cruise in July 2014. Since they are still offering discounted rooms & tickets to the military we decided to add on a few days at WDW. We stayed at POR on our last tip Thanksgiving 2012 and wanted to stay there again on this trip but they don't have any standard rooms available at the military rate when we will be there. I was able to get 2 standard rooms at POFQ.

We are not morning people and are planning to visit the parks later in the day and stay until closing and let the kids sleep in. I really wanted POR since my mom would enjoy walking around the resort in the mornings while the kids sleep. I know POR is not a far walk from POFQ but due to a previous illness my mom is a slower walker and may not want to walk to POR and back to avoid getting too tired at the parks.

Would walking around POFQ be as enjoyable as POR? Are there shady walkways and places to sit at POFQ? Is the walk to POR shady or will it be in the direct sun? Since POFQ is smaller I didn't expect rooms to be available there as opposed to POR. Should I continue calling and hope that there will be 2 standard rooms available at POR or just hope POFQ will work out? Thanks for the advice and help.

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-11-2013, 02:12 PM   #1938
Mom2G
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Michele View Post
I'm sorry for the long post but I am looking for some advice in planning my trip. We are going on a Disney cruise in July 2014. Since they are still offering discounted rooms & tickets to the military we decided to add on a few days at WDW. We stayed at POR on our last tip Thanksgiving 2012 and wanted to stay there again on this trip but they don't have any standard rooms available at the military rate when we will be there. I was able to get 2 standard rooms at POFQ. We are not morning people and are planning to visit the parks later in the day and stay until closing and let the kids sleep in. I really wanted POR since my mom would enjoy walking around the resort in the mornings while the kids sleep. I know POR is not a far walk from POFQ but due to a previous illness my mom is a slower walker and may not want to walk to POR and back to avoid getting too tired at the parks. Would walking around POFQ be as enjoyable as POR? Are there shady walkways and places to sit at POFQ? Is the walk to POR shady or will it be in the direct sun? Since POFQ is smaller I didn't expect rooms to be available there as opposed to POR. Should I continue calling and hope that there will be 2 standard rooms available at POR or just hope POFQ will work out? Thanks for the advice and help.
I think the walk around POFQ was really nice and she could always take the boat over to POR if she prefers. I hope you have a fabulous trip! The cruise is wonderful!
Old 11-11-2013, 02:24 PM   #1939
LisaTC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Should I continue calling and hope that there will be 2 standard rooms available at POR or just hope POFQ will work out? Thanks for the advice and help.
I guess if you really want POR, I'd continue to call. There were no rooms available when we wanted to stay and more opened up. People cancel. It doesn't hurt to check!

Old 11-11-2013, 04:10 PM   #1940
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I'm sorry for the long post but I am looking for some advice in planning my trip.

We are going on a Disney cruise in July 2014. Since they are still offering discounted rooms & tickets to the military we decided to add on a few days at WDW. We stayed at POR on our last tip Thanksgiving 2012 and wanted to stay there again on this trip but they don't have any standard rooms available at the military rate when we will be there. I was able to get 2 standard rooms at POFQ.

We are not morning people and are planning to visit the parks later in the day and stay until closing and let the kids sleep in. I really wanted POR since my mom would enjoy walking around the resort in the mornings while the kids sleep. I know POR is not a far walk from POFQ but due to a previous illness my mom is a slower walker and may not want to walk to POR and back to avoid getting too tired at the parks.

Would walking around POFQ be as enjoyable as POR? Are there shady walkways and places to sit at POFQ? Is the walk to POR shady or will it be in the direct sun? Since POFQ is smaller I didn't expect rooms to be available there as opposed to POR. Should I continue calling and hope that there will be 2 standard rooms available at POR or just hope POFQ will work out? Thanks for the advice and help.
We've stayed at both. While I think POR is prettier, we liked POFQ too. It does have shady walkways, and plenty of benches. And the river path is very pleasant.

The walk over to POR isn't shady. But she can take the boat.

What about garden view rooms? Would they be on the discount? They are only $10 more a night then standard view room.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 20-Sept 3 2014 GF & GF CL
Old 11-11-2013, 04:32 PM   #1941
LLR5654
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue M View Post
We've stayed at both. While I think POR is prettier, we liked POFQ too. It does have shady walkways, and plenty of benches. And the river path is very pleasant. The walk over to POR isn't shady. But she can take the boat. What about garden view rooms? Would they be on the discount? They are only $10 more a night then standard view room.
Most all room levels are on the military discount but we also had a problem booking for next summer as it seams there are many rooms available. Thank god my best friends and I aren't above sharing a bed because all we could get was a king room.
Old 11-11-2013, 05:02 PM   #1942
TDDisney
Mouseketeer

Quote:

We're looking at possibly taking a Disney cruise (in Europe) for our 20th anniversary in 2015. Have you done one before? If so, I'd love to hear any advice/comments you have. We have never done a cruise of any kind before. We were at POR in October, and I am already having Disney withdrawal! So..it's time to start planning (and saving!) again.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:22 PM   #1943
LLR5654
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLR5654 View Post
Most all room levels are on the military discount but we also had a problem booking for next summer as it seams there are many rooms available. Thank god my best friends and I aren't above sharing a bed because all we could get was a king room.
This was suppose to say they seems to not be many rooms available... I seriously hate autocorrect! And well there are only 2 of us sharing a bed.... Ha!
Old 11-11-2013, 11:28 PM   #1944
reader562
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLR5654 View Post
This was suppose to say they seems to not be many rooms available... I seriously hate autocorrect! And well there are only 2 of us sharing a bed.... Ha!
Haha - I was wondering how many friends were sharing!!
Old 11-12-2013, 10:20 AM   #1945
LLR5654
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by reader562 View Post
Haha - I was wondering how many friends were sharing!!
Haha! We are really close! 😜 joking! There are only 2 of us...
Old 11-12-2013, 12:24 PM   #1946
TimeTraveler
Earning My Ears

Best room location for muscle disease?

I was wondering if anyone can suggest a room that is close to the lobby and transportation?

We booked a Royal Guest room w Garden view.

Very unfortunately, I am dealing with a progressive muscle disease. We are going in January and while I can still walk at this time, I may have issues in 2 months. My 6 year old daughter also has hypotonia (low tone) and can't walk a lot. We don't have wheelchairs, but distance is a big issue.

Thank you
Old 11-12-2013, 01:10 PM   #1947
dillydilly
Mouseketeer

A question from one of my kids...I see that Magical Express for my stay at POR stops at Yacht Club, Beach Club, POR, and Boardwalk. Does the bus go to the resorts in this order (assuming there are guests that will need to stop at each of these resorts)?
Old 11-12-2013, 01:26 PM   #1948
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity
I got carted off in the meat wagon

Location: Originally from Newport News, VA but Home is Kissimmee, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillydilly View Post
A question from one of my kids...I see that Magical Express for my stay at POR stops at Yacht Club, Beach Club, POR, and Boardwalk. Does the bus go to the resorts in this order (assuming there are guests that will need to stop at each of these resorts)?
It fluctuates based on amounts of guests to which resorts. I have seen it service Old KeyWest and Saratoga Springs before without the addition of Beach Club and Boardwalk.
Old 11-12-2013, 02:21 PM   #1949
bookgirl
I don't eat onions-they squelch when you bite into them
I don't eat raisins-they look like dried up bugs
Can we say food issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillydilly View Post
Well, POR is a mile or so away and across a highway from BC, YC and BW which are right next to each other so I doubt they'd follow that particular order. If any thing with those 4 I would think that POR would either be first or last. (I've only driven between the four never did ME so I could be totally wrong)

UPCOMING: 7/14 Offsite & 10/14 F&W Festival (in planning) WL

Old 11-12-2013, 02:29 PM   #1950
emsmommy323
Mouseketeer

I really don't know if this is the second best week this year or the second worse week this year! I'm so excited to leave but it's almost painful because it's so close...yet so far! Ahhh!!!
Closed Thread

Tags
faq, por, port orleans riverside

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: