Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 12:22 AM   #136
HiMagicFan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by "siskaren;
If you're talking about the Christmas parade, there's no way to see it unless you attend the MVMCP, or attend the taping on the first Saturday in December or are there after the last MVMCP (which I think is on the 20th) when it replaces the daytime parade.
I am planning to keep note of this as i always get the timing wrong. Thanks
Old 09-18-2013, 01:45 AM   #137
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMomTo2 View Post
We are booked in a pool view royal room. I would like to be near the bridge to the main building. On the map, it looks like most pool view royal rooms are. Is this correct? Do I need to make a request, or will we be good?
Pool View Royal Rooms are pretty much perfectly located, no real need for requests unless you want a particular floor or a corner room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasmom07 View Post
I have a question, and I am sorry if it has already been asked before but, if you have a room near the courtyard where they play the movies can you hear them in your room?
Not much, no, The doors are pretty solid when closed. You might hear the louder bits in a muffled way, but the films are only on for 90 minutes or so anyway. I've not heard anyone say it kept younger kids awake, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiMagicFan View Post
This would make sense because don't they do the parade early and not exactly at christmas so they can show it on Turkey day?
But Christmas Day IS turkey day! [British muttering: Americans, they don't know nuffing!]

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmhall2000 View Post
1. Did not realize until this morning that the shower curtain has these little suction cup thingies on the edge to help keep water from spilling in floor..shoulda coulda woulda.

3. What is up with the ice? Granted we always were going at 10:00 at night when returning from the parks, but never could find a 'working' ice dispenser, 3 out of 4 had no ice and the one that seemed to work, you had to hold it for many seconds before just 1-3 cubes would fall in...I don't think we ever got more than 6 small cubes just out of sheer lack of time

4. Never quite got the bus schedule...sometimes Riverside would drop off first at South and other times North then South was last...the line for Riverside was usually the longest of any other resorts, usually 2-3x longer...you'd think Disney would adjust and send more buses...
1. Well I've learned something new today, thank you!

3. Do you mean the ice dispensers in the food court, or in the vending areas around the resort? The vending areas might be over-used at the moment due to the lack of fridges. The food court ice machines have been deliberately doctored to reduce the flow of ice (as Rapid Fill is now meant to pretty-much fill the cups). It annoyed the heck out of me though, at first I thought the machines were faulty (as did a lot of other guests, repeatedly jabbing at the control). That needs a rethink IMHO.

4. There isn't a schedule for the buses as such, the despatch system is largely computerised now (using GPS tracking of the buses) and there is meant to be at least one bus per park every 20 minutes. The routing around the various Riverside stops is based on the theme-park that each bus serves by the way, so there is some logic there if you look hard enough - MK buses use one route, Studios buses another, etc.

They do indeed send more buses at busy times, but when you get lines as long as the ones at park closing even those extra buses don't always seem to help much (but think how bad it would be if there was only one bus every 20 mins after Wishes! With 3 buses an hour you'd still be there at 3am!).

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-18-2013, 05:53 AM   #138
Yellowstonetim
DIS Veteran

We noticed the little suction cups on the shower curtain, early on and I tried to use them, but the tile in the bathroom was just rough enough that they do not work. They just won't stick. Nice idea but even Disney isn't perfect I guess. Along those lines we had a shelf above the faucets in the sink area; on each faucet there is a post that you raise and lower to close or open the drain in the sink. The shelf was so close to the faucets in our room that the right sink could not be closed to hold water. Oops. Slight miscalculation. The left one just barely worked. It was not a major issue, and I did not report it.

Should I report it so they can do something or is it too minor?

Regarding the magic bands we did have an issue at one restaurant getting additional charges on the account correctly and after several tries the manager said, it was on them! Very nice!

I thought the ice machines were all out of ice!! No one could get them to work right. That can't be intentional can it?! One little cube every few seconds. On the other hand, the ice machines near our room worked great and but out good volume quickly. I was relatively disappointed in the whole mug experience, but that was a very minor part of the trip.

Did I mention we had a great time?

"Remember, no matter where you go... there you are!" Buckaroo Banzai

1980 - Disneyland for 1 day while in the US Navy
1981-1983 Several 1 day visits while living in Orlando
1984- 1996 Several one and two day visits while visiting family
2000 January - 4 Nights, 5 Days - All Star Movies
2012 January - 5 Nights, 6 Days - Caribbean Beach
2013 September - 9 Nights, 10 days - Port Orleans Riverside Royal Room.
2014 November - ?
Old 09-18-2013, 06:49 AM   #139
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowstonetim View Post
Should I report it so they can do something or is it too minor?

I thought the ice machines were all out of ice!! No one could get them to work right. That can't be intentional can it?! One little cube every few seconds.
I think it's worth reporting anything that's not working properly, as otherwise it never gets fixed and then the next guest has the same "well it's OK, but a bit annoying" experience. No need to make a big performance about it, but just so they know - it might be a simple adjustment.

I felt the same about the ice machines in the food court as you did, the flow rate had been reduced so much as to seem faulty. And yes, I did the same as you and tried the other dispensers on the assumption that the first one was broken, as did other guests. I agree that it's something that they should change back, and hopefully feedback will tell them that. I mentioned it in passing to the F&B Manager while I was talking to her anyway.

Andre

Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
Old 09-18-2013, 08:25 AM   #140
sibesx2
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowstonetim View Post

I thought the ice machines were all out of ice!! No one could get them to work right. That can't be intentional can it?! One little cube every few seconds. On the other hand, the ice machines near our room worked great and but out good volume quickly. I was relatively disappointed in the whole mug experience, but that was a very minor part of the trip.

Did I mention we had a great time?
I agree about the ice in the food court! I heard one CM say that the ice was either stuck or empty when it dispensed only a few cubes at a time. That could be correct because there was a few time when I was lucky enough to get a full cup of ice on the first try. I also had trouble with the drink dispensing part. There was 1 station that never worked on Coke. And there was a few times when I had to try a few stations to find one that worked. I give the mugs a thumbs down!
Old 09-18-2013, 08:59 AM   #141
lmhall2000
May the road rise to meet you....May God hold you in the palm of His Hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibesx2 View Post
I agree about the ice in the food court! I heard one CM say that the ice was either stuck or empty when it dispensed only a few cubes at a time. That could be correct because there was a few time when I was lucky enough to get a full cup of ice on the first try. I also had trouble with the drink dispensing part. There was 1 station that never worked on Coke. And there was a few times when I had to try a few stations to find one that worked. I give the mugs a thumbs down!
Yes! This is what I meant, the food court dispensers, wish I had thought of finding the ice machines for the room! That would have been a good fix! Never saw one!! I hit an ice dispenser in the food court that filled my cup up quickly like at a typical restaurant, but that only happened once or twice, so I just assumed they were all broken as did all the other guests and we all went searching for one that was 'full'...if that is intentional, crazy move, causes so much congestion and frustration...hope they correct it!

Old 09-18-2013, 09:15 AM   #142
katielafave
Mouseketeer

Only 16 days to go! We started planning at 180 days out and I can not believe it is finally almost here. Putting the finishing touches on everything and making (and remaking) my lists.

From those who have been there recently - any last minute tips, tricks or things to bring?

Our group is DD5, DD2, DH and I. I have been there many times before, but this is my first time as an adult and my first mod stay (stayed at All Star in high school). This is the first trip for both my girls. We haven't told them yet, but will be surprising them next week so we can do a short countdown. So excited!
Old 09-18-2013, 11:01 AM   #143
DisneyFive
Luv'n the magic

With less refrigerators, I wonder if people are using the ice machines to gather ice to keep their food cold that would normally be in a refrigerator.

If we don't have a fridge, our backup plan is ice in coolers to keep our perishables cold. Perhaps others are doing that too, and the ice consumption is much higher than normal.

Dan
POP, September 2011, 9 days Very Fun, Hot!
POP, September 2010, 8 days Magical!!!
Old 09-18-2013, 11:33 AM   #144
RnbwSktles
DIS Veteran

Has anybody ever stayed here for the marathon? I am wondering if the buses to the expo and the race itself stop at every stop, or only one? If it's only one, I think I'd like to make a room request as close as possible to that stop!

Thanks!

2014 Coast to Coast Goal: Full marathon Jan 2014 & Dumbo Double Dare Aug 2014!
Old 09-18-2013, 12:03 PM   #145
wdwguy50
7 Decades of "Goofying" around with Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RnbwSktles View Post
Has anybody ever stayed here for the marathon? I am wondering if the buses to the expo and the race itself stop at every stop, or only one? If it's only one, I think I'd like to make a room request as close as possible to that stop!

Thanks!
Last year only one for expo and all for the race in Jan.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards °o°
DCL Dream - Nov 11 (Make A Wish)
Old 09-18-2013, 01:31 PM   #146
merentha
Mouseketeer

24hrs from now we will be in POR!! Whoohoooo

We put our deposit down 365 days ago, and this is our first family trip ever!(let alone to the world) we told the kids Monday DD6 DS3 and they freaked.

Thanks to Andre and venom and all the other cool kids that answered my newbie WDW and POR questions along the way.

I'll try and pay it forward while we are there and answer any "here now" questions if I can.
Old 09-18-2013, 02:26 PM   #147
OneBadApple
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by merentha View Post
24hrs from now we will be in POR!! Whoohoooo

We put our deposit down 365 days ago, and this is our first family trip ever!(let alone to the world) we told the kids Monday DD6 DS3 and they freaked.

Thanks to Andre and venom and all the other cool kids that answered my newbie WDW and POR questions along the way.

I'll try and pay it forward while we are there and answer any "here now" questions if I can.
Old 09-18-2013, 03:26 PM   #148
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by merentha View Post
Thanks to Andre and venom and all the other cool kids...
Wow, it's a long time since I've been called a cool kid... or indeed any kind of kid!

Andre

Old 09-18-2013, 03:57 PM   #149
CopperWife
Mouseketeer

Single digit dance

Nine more sleeps until we are on the road (no matter what my ticker says!)! First "just our little family" vacation in 8.5 years. First time at Disney in the Fall. First Food and Wine Festival. First MNSSHP. First time we're ever celebrating a birthday (DD6) at Disney!

And the kids still don't know we're going! We told them we're going with Daddy for a work trip in Georgia (only partially a lie, since we will be driving through the state lol). Our plan is to tell them at the Florida Welcome Center.

Can't wait to be back at POR. We love it so much - such a relaxing, beautiful resort.

I'm so excited, I could burst

me DH DD10 DD7

No ticker for now

Last edited by CopperWife; 09-18-2013 at 03:58 PM. Reason: added info
Old 09-18-2013, 04:07 PM   #150
KELLY
DIS Veteran

We just canceled our cruise for next year and added more days to our disney vacation. We will be at universal for 5 days then off to Disney for 12. We plan to relax a bit at universal. I'm seriously thinking of upgrading to a royal room or a preferred room. We will be using the food court probably daily for something.

Many Trips the past 6 years at pop with free dining!
Me , DH , DD 8 and DD 6
Closed Thread

Tags
faq, por, port orleans riverside

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: