Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2013, 03:10 PM   #1
WallEve1086
Earning My Ears

Why Do You Love Disney?

I was sitting at my desk today looking at my Disney calendar when it got me thinking why I love Disney so so much. I'm absolutely obssessed with it. But why? I grew up on the Disney movies; watching them with my parents and little brother and dancing and singing to all of the songs in the car. My parents took us to Disneyland and WDW multiple times and everytime was special. Even now at 27 years old, I always feel like I'm 5 again when I hear a Disney song, see a movie on the TV, or step into the park. I guess in my case, Disney is a my safe zone. I'm comforted by it in many ways. The songs calm me, the movies make me happy, and being in the parks liberate me. Disney reminds me that everything is going to be okay. And I love it!

So now I ask all of you...what makes Disney so special to you? Why do you love it so much? I love hearing other people's stories. Makes me all warm and fuzzy
WallEve1086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 03:41 PM   #2
jemmi
Mouseketeer

I grew up with Disney, my parents worked hard so they could take us every 3 years to Walt Disney World. I have continued to go to Disney as much as possible as an adult. My husband proposed to me at Magic Kingdom and we went to Disney for our honeymoon. Disney makes me smile, when I'm at disney I don't worry about other things, I call it my happy place. When we're there nobody argues and everyone laughs and has a great time. I love all my disney movies and my mickey collection that's around my house. Next year I'm going to Disneyland for the first time and can't wait!!
Register to remove

Old 09-23-2013, 04:17 PM   #3
scousemouse09
Mouseketeer

It's a total comfort, and I have just grown up surrounded by the films and the songs. It's also safe - my mum's mantra on "scary rides" (i.e. everything!!) is "this is Disney, it can't hurt me, AAAAAARRRGGGGHHHHHH!"

I also love the fact that when you are in DIsney, it's like being in a little bubble where nothing that happens outside matters. I really like the fact I can go on holiday and just be immersed in the magic!
scousemouse09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 04:27 PM   #4
Dot2Vegas
DIS Veteran

For me it is a little different... I did not grow up with Disney. Did not watch children's movies or anything. My parents didn't like them so we were not exposed to any of that stuff.
When I had my first DD I had a bit of a struggle with finding things that we both enjoyed. I tried lots of non Disney movies (remember my family was borderline anti Disney) and just didn't get into them. I really wanted to find something that we all enjoyed and not just something that she liked and I tolerated. We went to DL and had fun but it was meh to me. Not special. Fast forward a few years and we returned to DL with DD and now our twin DDs. Well that trip sparked something. I got it. I got the whole appeal of Disney. I wanted to know more and watch all of the movies. We all had a blast and haven't stopped yet. In two weeks we will make our 13th family trip in 5 years! Disney brings us together. The movies appeal to me, hubby and the kids. Its good quality entertainment. My husband admires Walt very much. We love the parks. The parks are our escape. The only time that we get uninterrupted family time. My DH has a stressful job and works in a very adult only environment. Disney is a great escape for him where he is basically free from worrying about what he worries about every day. I could go on and on!!
Old 09-23-2013, 05:47 PM   #5
darcie2000
Mouseketeer

Disney makes me feel like a child again.

A child who was shown love and affection and who was liked. When I go to Disneyland as an adult, I feel like a child living the childhood I always wanted.

I love the innocence of Disney. And like another PP, I enjoy the bubble while there.

The minute I walk through the gates I start smiling so hard that my face will hurt for days afterwards. I like to find somewhere quiet to stand with my eyes closed, breathing in the smells and taking in the sounds and thinking "this is heaven".
darcie2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 05:53 PM   #6
HydroGuy
The code is more what you'd call guidelines than actual rules
Inquiring fairy minds want to know: Does Hydroguy like World of Color?

o I like imagination and storytelling, and that is what Disney excels at

o Disney movies, parks and TV have a purity and innocence to them that is appealing

o Disney movies and parks remind me of my own childhood, time with my family as a child, and then time with my own kids as they grew up. Walking into Disneyland immediately makes me feel happy.

o Especially through its parks Disney uses technology to wow its guests.

o Disney generates so much quality music with deep themes of the heart. These are in constant supply at their parks.

o Disney is safe. The movies and parks are safe place to enjoy time with your family and people you care about.

o Disney parks are fun. Music, rides and motion, spectacular shows, themed dining, and themed rides that transport you someplace else or to a different time.

DLR 07/2014 (DLH), 11/2013 (Day Trip), 8/2013 GCH (CCI for D23 Expo), 10/2012 CCI, 07/2012 GCH, 08/2011 CCI (D23 Expo), 06/2011 GCH, 09/2010 BWPPI, 07/2010 GCH, 08/2009 (Day Trip), 05/2009 Doubletree Anaheim/OC, 11/2007 (Day Trip), 06/2007 BWPPI, 08/2006 (Day Trip), 11/2005 BWPPI, 08/2005 BWPPI, 07/2003 HoJo's, 07/2000 PPH, 1966-1998 Numerous Day Trips Including... 06/1981 (Grad Night)
WDW 05/2013 Swan, 02/2012 CBR, 03/2011 Dolphin, 05/2008 AKL, 06/2006 FW Cabins
DLR Paris 06/2007 - Newport Bay/Santa Fe/Holiday Inn (solo) - see my Trip Observations
Tokyo Disney Resort 11/2009 - SunRoute Plaza (with DS13) - see my Trip Report (with photos)
HydroGuy DLR Tips Compilation, DLR Abbreviations List, World of Color Superthread
HydroGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:57 PM   #7
elphaba91
Mouseketeer

I can tell you the EXACT moment I fell in love with Disney, but have no explanation as to why.

When I was 2 and my older sister was 4, my aunt returned from a trip to the U.S. (we're in Australia). I'm not sure if she'd gone to any parks, but somewhere she'd bought us a each a tiny plastic figurine, about 2 inches tall. She handed me the Donald one and my sister the Mickey. We both looked at the figurine we'd been given, looked at the other's and, without saying a word, swapped.

I have no idea why; I don't think we'd really seen much Disney stuff up to that point (it was more about Play School and the Bananas in Pyjamas), and I definitely don't think we knew who Mickey and Donald were. Yet, from that moment on, she loved Donald and I was OBSESSED with Mickey. When other kids had a teddy bear, we had stuffed Mickey and Donald; my walls are still adorned with Mickey pictures; I own about 7 Mickey t-shirts (plus a hoodie) and I don't think I own any pjs that don't have Mickey on them. I never outgrew my love for Mickey, never went through a stage of being too 'cool' for Mickey. But I have absolutely no idea why I had such an affinity for a cartoon character.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:35 AM   #8
ludari
DIS Veteran

For me Disney especially Disneyland reminds me of my parents. Having grown up in Southern California and going to Disneyland as often as we could it was such an innocent time in my life when I hadn't a care in the world. Now when I visit Disneyland I make it a point to enjoy those rides my parents took us on but sadly some of those rides are gone but my memory keeps them alive.
DLR/DCA - Too many times to count; Tokyo Disneyland-Aug 1986; DCL Magic WBTA-Sept 2010; DCL Wonder Cruise to Nowhere-Jan 2011; DCL Wonder Mexican Rivera Cruise-Jan 2011; Princess Half Marathon-Feb 2011; DLR 5K & Half Marathon-Sept 2011; DCL Wonder Repo Cruise-Sept 2011; Wine&Dine Half Marathon-Oct 2011; WDW 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Princess 5K & Half Marathon-Feb 2012; DCL Fantasy Maiden Cruise-Mar 2012; Expedition Everest Challenge-May 2012; DLR Half Marathon-Sept 2012; Disney/Pixar Wonder Cruise-Sept 2012; Tower of Terror 10-Miler and 5K-Sept 2012; Wine&Dine 5K & Half Marathon-Nov 2012; Goofy Challenge & 5K-Jan 2013; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2013; Disney Aulani Resort-May 2013; Club 33-July 2013; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2013; Tower of Terror 10-Miler-Oct 2013; Dopey Challenge-Jan 2014; Tinker Bell 5K, 10K & Half Marathon-Jan 2014; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2014; DCL Magic Westbound Transatlantic Cruise-Sept 2014; Avengers Super Heroes 5K & Half-Nov 2014; Star Wars Rebel Challenge & 5K-Jan 2014; Pixie Dust Challenge & 5K-May 2015

ludari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:00 AM   #9
kkmcan
Official Mouse Fan

For me Disneyland is about family. I went a couple of times as a child and that was fine. But the bug hit after taking my young kids (3 and 6). We went back 2 years later and then again a year after that. And so it began.....

We come together as a family. As parents we get to indulge our kids and have fun with them. Forget about school, chores and everyday mundane things. Everyone gets to eat what they want, do what they want, see what they want. Dh and I laugh and be silly with our kids. It so liberating and rejuvenating! Its a wonderful break from life for our family.

I did a short trip with a couple of my girlfriends last year and it was kind of a bummer. I just kept thinking about my family and which rides, foods and shows they liked. I won't be going back without my kids and my hubby!

Disneyland 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007
DCL 4 night Nov. 2006 + WDW Nov. 2006
We got DL AP's!! Trips: 6/08, 10/08, 1/09, 3/09
DL + Trick or Treat Party 10/09
DCL 3 night + WDW Free Dining Dec 16-25 2009 Disneyland 6/2010 Using our GAD Vouchers!
DCL LA 2 day cruise to no where 1/2011
DCL 7 Night Mexican Riviera KSF 3/20/2011
DL AP's Trips:10/2011, 1/2012, 3/2012, 10/2012
WDW, Discovery Cove, Aquatica 05/2013
Aulani Hawaii 03/2014
kkmcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:14 AM   #10
mydisneyfix
Mouseketeer

[QUOTE="kkmcan"]For me Disneyland is about family. I went a couple of times as a child and that was fine. But the bug hit after taking my young kids (3 and 6). We went back 2 years later and then again a year after that. And so it began.....

We come together as a family. As parents we get to indulge our kids and have fun with them. Forget about school, chores and everyday mundane things. Everyone gets to eat what they want, do what they want, see what they want. Dh and I laugh and be silly with our kids. It so liberating and rejuvenating! Its a wonderful break from life for our family.

This is me too...exactly how I got bit by the Disney bug.
mydisneyfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:16 AM   #11
Kristibo42
DIS Veteran

I love everything about DISNEY!! We have been nine times and still have not done everything.

Next trip July 2016 POP and AOA about 70 people
Dec. 2013 Pop Century to celebrate 25 anniversary Adults only
All Star Sports family trip 25 people Feb 2011
Pop Century September. 2009
Pop Century Adults only 20 year anniversary Dec 2008
Pop Century Big family trip 42 people July 2007
Contemporary and All Star Music Dec. 2006
All Star Music June 2005
Port Orleans- Riverside and Disney Wonder Nov. 2002
6th grade trip To Magic Kingdom had my first kiss on Tom Sawyers Island June 1977
Kristibo42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:16 AM   #12
whoever
DIS Veteran

Hard to say. I just do. Its somewhat out of character for me to engage in fancy as well. I'm typically a very practical, conservative fellow, who typically wouldn't engage in such activities, but Disney just does something to me. Love it.
whoever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:17 AM   #13
mydisneyfix
Mouseketeer

That's weird. Sorry I meant to quote you but it added my sentence to your statement. My statement was that last sentence of how the bug bit me just like you....once you had kids and took them to the parks :-)
mydisneyfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:34 AM   #14
CaptainEIEIO
Even if you choose not to decide you still have made a choice!

For me it was because I grew up at Disneyland, it was like being in my own back yard. I started going to Disneyland 51 years ago in 1962. My dad worked for McDonald Douglas back then and their company sponsored many thing in Tomorrowland. I have even seen Walt in the park and consider myself fortunate enough to have shaken the great mans hand. I remember I cried my eyes out when he died. We lived in Westminster right next to Anaheim and on the weekends and all summer long we would ride our bikes to Disneyland whenever we had a chance, which was all the time. It was a magical place for us, and we always had a blast just running around and being kids and it truly was my happy place and still is. I remember going over to Tom Sawyers island and playing tag or hide and go seek all day long and just running around the park having the time of my life not knowing that it would grow up with me and become what it has. The whole world knows Disney, back then it was just a Southern California thing.

Whenever I go there now I remember my childhood days and it just takes me back. As soon as I enter the park I go back in time and I'm young again in mind, body, and soul. I have even let my kids know (whom of course I have now addicted also) that once I leave this here world that I am to be cremated and they are to take about a film canister of my ashes and take them to the hub at Disneyland (not Disney World) and sprinkle them into the dirt around the Partners Statue and they have assured me that one or all of them will definately do this for me so even in passing a small part of me will remain in my happy place for ever and ever.
I cant even begin to count the times I was constantly at Disneyland since my first visit in 1962, then I moved to Alaska in 1969 and lost contact until....DL 1982, DL 1985, DL 1988, DL 1990, DL 1994, DL 1997, DL 1999 , DL 2004, DL 2005, DL 2007, WDW 2009 (Pop), DL 2012, WDW 2013 (Pop).
Me DW

Last edited by CaptainEIEIO; 09-24-2013 at 10:17 AM.
CaptainEIEIO is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: