Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Akl vs BC vs POR RR
AKL Savannah View DVC Points 17 48.57%
BC DVC Points 14 40.00%
POR Royal Room 4 11.43%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-15-2013, 12:47 PM   #1
shpdem
Mouseketeer

Need some help deciding AKL, BC, or POR royal room

I'm trying to plan a surprise trip for wife and 5 yr old daughter, and trying to pick between renting points and staying at AKL savannah view, Beach Club or booking regular and and staying por Royal room. I'm trying to pick a resort my daughter will like best as we spend atleast 2 days at the resort swimming and playing. So i want a resort she will enjoy the pool and playgrounds if they have them. Any input or pics will be greatly appreciated.
TIA

shpdem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 12:53 PM   #2
skatalite
Anybody interested in grabbing a couple of burgers and hittin' the cemetery?

Animal Kingdom gets my vote.
skatalite is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-15-2013, 12:57 PM   #3
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shpdem View Post
I'm trying to plan a surprise trip for wife and 5 yr old daughter, and trying to pick between renting points and staying at AKL savannah view, Beach Club or booking regular and and staying por Royal room. I'm trying to pick a resort my daughter will like best as we spend atleast 2 days at the resort swimming and playing. So i want a resort she will enjoy the pool and playgrounds if they have them. Any input or pics will be greatly appreciated.
TIA
Out of your choices, we've stayed at AKL and BC and while we did like the BC, I would go with AKL. The atmosphere is beautiful, the resort is quiet (IMO), the pool is nice, and Boma is great (as is Mara for quick CS meals/snacks). We did enjoy SAB at the BC, but since it is shared with the YC, it can/does get crowded and is sometimes hard to navigate with kids (just my opinion). With that said, you really can't go wrong with either one as they are both great places to say. I can't comment on POR as we've never stayed there. Good luck deciding and happy planning.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 12:58 PM   #4
monica9
DIS Veteran

well Stormalong bay (BC) is rated best disney pool so I say BC!
Disney as a child: '82 CR,'84, CR,'85 CR,'87 CR,'88 CR,'89 CR....Disney as an adult: '03 off property, '04 off property, '10 1 day off cruise, '11 CBR (DD first trip!), 2012 WL, 2013 December 2013 BC Hoping for Fall 2015
DH(40) : Me(34) DD(6)
monica9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 02:57 PM   #5
LJSquishy
DIS Veteran

If the pool is the #1 most important deciding factor, BC wins hands down. Everyone raves about how awesome Stormalong Bay is. I'm sure I would have loved it as a kid. It can get really crowded though, so Google photos of it to see if it's too crowded for you or not.

If you're wanting a good blend between resort atmosphere, resort activities, and pool, I would choose AKL. It may not have the best pools but you will be surrounded by animals so there are plenty of other things to do in addition to swimming. You can participate in the evening kids activities (other resorts have them also), watch the animals during the day, and borrow night vision goggles to see the animals at night at a certain location.

Me-30: -&- DH-34:
LJSquishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 04:26 PM   #6
kmb584
DIS Veteran

I opted for AKL as there's just something incredibly magical waking up to Africa being in your "backyard". The resort and themeing are fantastic and the food options great.

The other two contenders, BC and POR Royal, are STRONG contenders though. If the pool area is of utmost importance, Stormalong Bay at BC cannot be beat. If you're daughter is really into Princesses, a Royal room is where she needs to be.

No matter where you end up though, all of those resorts are fantastic choices.

Me (30) DD (5)
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney
kmb584 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 04:43 PM   #7
APiratesLifeForMe2
DIS Veteran

AKV are beautiful and Savannah View will really be wonderful. If your DD5 is an animal lover then she will have plenty to see and do. Great resort for spending 2 days at without parks.

1988 Off Site, 1992 Off Site, 1996 ASMusic, 2000 CBR, 2004 POR, 2007 Poly, 2009 POFQ, 2010 POP, 2011 POP, 2013 WL
APiratesLifeForMe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 05:13 PM   #8
shpdem
Mouseketeer

Yea the pool is only important to the extent there is one she don't care about the slides just loves swimming so I prefer the quieter less crowded pools. Are regular rooms and dvc studio rooms the same or are they different? Are dvc roms and regular rooms in the same building. trying to tell the difference in dvc point rooms and regular rooms

shpdem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 05:36 PM   #9
scarlett24
Dreamin' of Disney

Not sure when you are going, but we stayed at YC/BC in May and did not find Stromalong Bay crowded at all. It was our first time staying there, and we loved it. The pool provides hours of fun, and I do mean hours because there is so much to do there. There is a little beach at the pool the kids can play in, a cute slide my 3 & 6 year olds loved, the pool itself is huge and there is a small "lazy river" area. Also, they had movies on the beach at night, which was really fun. You can also easily walk around to all the festivities at the Boardwalk Resort.
December 2007 Wilderness Lodge

December 2008 Caribbean Beach Resort
May 2010 Polynesian
May 2012 Polynesian
May 2013 Eastern Caribbean on the Fantasy-our first cruise! Poly & Yacht and Beach Club
April 2014 Polynesian

scarlett24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 05:40 PM   #10
B-Ride
Getting My Disney Fix

IMHO, BC is much more conveniently located than AKL.
Disneyland Grand Californian 2014
B-Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 05:48 PM   #11
LJSquishy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shpdem View Post
Yea the pool is only important to the extent there is one she don't care about the slides just loves swimming so I prefer the quieter less crowded pools. Are regular rooms and dvc studio rooms the same or are they different? Are dvc roms and regular rooms in the same building. trying to tell the difference in dvc point rooms and regular rooms
At AKL the DVC rooms (AKV) are at both Jambo House and Kidani. If you rent a Studio, it is equivalent in size to a standard room except it has one queen bed and a pull out sleeper sofa rather than two queen beds. You will have a mini kitchenette which has a small sink, microwave, toaster and coffee maker. There are also a few dishes for you to use (I think disposable). When staying DVC, you do not get daily housekeeping. You get new towels & toiletries on Day 4 of your stay, and a full cleaning on Day 7 if you stay that long. You can pay extra if you would like housekeeping more often.

We are planning a DVC stay late next year and have decided on AKV Studio in Jambo House. Jambo is the main building with The Mara (CS) and TS restaurant. Kidani also has a TS restaurant but does not have a CS so you may prefer to be at Jambo House with a 5yr old. You can use both pools. We found that renting a studio at AKV was about the same price as staying at a Mod so it was a no brainer for us! We plan to book through David's rental.

Me-30: -&- DH-34:
LJSquishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 05:54 PM   #12
snowwite
DIS Veteran

AKL. The pool is nice and near the playground. There are animal viewing areas, lots of activities and a nice outside firepit as well. There are storytellers, crafts and one trip the kids got to decorate large animal shaped cookies. They completed scavenger hunt for beads and made a souvenier bracelet. The buffet at Boma is nice and has kids choices as well as more adventurous options. We had room 222 and it overlooks a giraffe feeding area. I would highly recommend.

snowwite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:12 PM   #13
disneynanacat
Lovin' Disney Too!

My grands have always loved loved loved hanging out at AKL! Me too! Great pool, lots of activities, animals and great fun CMs.
Old 09-15-2013, 07:29 PM   #14
MomofDisneyLoversx3
DIS Veteran

I would say AKL. Love the variety of activities as well as the pool. Definitely our favorite.

MomofDisneyLoversx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:31 PM   #15
Mewissy
Mouseketeer

Bcv

I selected BCV for 2 reasons - (1) the pool and (2) the location.

(1) SAB is incredible and has different sections. There is one section that has a sand bottom which can be played in. Another cool section is the lazy river.

(2) From BCV you can walk to 2 parks - EPCOT and HS. You are super close to EPCOT which makes it so nice to walk in at the end of the night and watch Illuminations or grab a good meal in one of the countries. BCV are not in the main BC/YC buildings, but also not far. I would check into exactly where you might be located for the DVC section of AK. I believe one of the sections is further out. (I could be wrong, but wanted to bring it up since I read that somewhere.) BCV are also very close to the Boardwalk, Swan, Dolphin, and walkable to Fantasia Mini Golf. You'll never be bored
Mewissy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: