Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2014, 02:29 PM   #1
Rosieclown
Earning My Ears

Kids dining plan

I am confused. For the quick service meal, can they order whatever or does it have to be off the kids menu?
Rosieclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 03:03 PM   #2
supersnoop
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosieclown View Post
I am confused. For the quick service meal, can they order whatever or does it have to be off the kids menu?
Children must order from the children's menu if one is available.
supersnoop is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-09-2014, 06:50 PM   #3
Pinkzeppe
Mouseketeer

The way to "get around the rules" is to upgrade your child to an adult ticket. For a 7 day ticket, it is only about $21. We have a 2 day park hopper, but have the meal plan for 6 days. It only cost me $13 per child to upgrade them to adult. I think it's a bargain, now they can order whatever they want and get better desserts.

WDW 1983, 2001, 2005, 2009, 2010, 2012 all off-site, 9/2014 CBR! DL/DCA 7/2014 off-site
Pinkzeppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 08:55 PM   #4
sharonabe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkzeppe View Post
The way to "get around the rules" is to upgrade your child to an adult ticket. For a 7 day ticket, it is only about $21. We have a 2 day park hopper, but have the meal plan for 6 days. It only cost me $13 per child to upgrade them to adult. I think it's a bargain, now they can order whatever they want and get better desserts.
This only works if you have FREE dining; otherwise, you also have to pay for the adult DDP for that child.
sharonabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 10:36 PM   #5
Pinkzeppe
Mouseketeer

Yes, that's true.

WDW 1983, 2001, 2005, 2009, 2010, 2012 all off-site, 9/2014 CBR! DL/DCA 7/2014 off-site
Pinkzeppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 05:07 AM   #6
JoeFromSeoul
Earning My Ears

Upgrade Costs - Child to Adult

We will be travelling with my 9-year-old who is a pretty good eater. I am not looking forward to a week of chicken nuggets and cheese pizza for him. I plan to purchase the adult DxDD plan for him - either before we leave or at check in. Does anyone know how much extra I should expect to pay for a 6-night stay?

Never mind -- I did some research thanks to suggestions from the DIS Boards. The restaurants we have ADRs for mostly have pretty good options on their children's menu. He will most likely opt for chicken nuggets once or twice anyway, but there is steak, grilled chicken, fish, and shrimp in his Disney future as well - can't wait!

Last edited by JoeFromSeoul; 09-22-2014 at 05:50 AM. Reason: Stopped being lazy and did some research...
JoeFromSeoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 09:38 AM   #7
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromSeoul View Post
We will be travelling with my 9-year-old who is a pretty good eater. I am not looking forward to a week of chicken nuggets and cheese pizza for him. I plan to purchase the adult DxDD plan for him - either before we leave or at check in. Does anyone know how much extra I should expect to pay for a 6-night stay? Never mind -- I did some research thanks to suggestions from the DIS Boards. The restaurants we have ADRs for mostly have pretty good options on their children's menu. He will most likely opt for chicken nuggets once or twice anyway, but there is steak, grilled chicken, fish, and shrimp in his Disney future as well - can't wait!
Just as an aside, if you do end up deciding to upgrade him anyway, you have to do it no later than 72 hours before check in. They can't do it at check in.
Old 09-23-2014, 03:08 AM   #8
audrey young
Earning My Ears

How much does it cost to upgrade a child to an adult if you do not have free dining plan?
audrey young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 07:50 AM   #9
supersnoop
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by audrey young View Post
How much does it cost to upgrade a child to an adult if you do not have free dining plan?
you'll have to pay for tickets and dining at the adult price. I think the difference would be about $55/day.
supersnoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 08:03 AM   #10
smiths02
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by audrey young View Post
You didn't ask for my opinion, but if you don't have free dining...this is a HUGE waste of money.

The Dining Plan is a questionable value for those 10 and older.

It is very difficult to get the value out of QSDP. I wouldn't bother. For DDP, I would keep my child at child prices and try to pick places where the kid choices are good (buffets, Ohana, etc.). For DxDP, it seems like there should be enough food/meals to share things so I wouldn't pay the huge price difference.
2003 (AKL), 2009 (AKL), 2011 (CBR- room), 2015 (AoA-Cars Suite)
smiths02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 11:51 PM   #11
JoeFromSeoul
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarcher86 View Post
Just as an aside, if you do end up deciding to upgrade him anyway, you have to do it no later than 72 hours before check in. They can't do it at check in.
Thanks - happily I have decided against doing it at all.

JoeFromSeoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 01:33 PM   #12
PEC
DIS Veteran

In normal circumstances the kids menu. If you don't want your child to live on Chicken Nuggets and PBJ, then look at places that dont have a childs menu option. Yorkshire County Fish I know is one. Toluca Turkey Legs. Several other good options.
Fort Wilderness 2013
Fort Wilderness 2014
PEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 10:53 PM   #13
Windyseddon
So excited for disney in sept 2014, especially to tell the kids ❤️❤️❤️

Our children hated the kids menu they just ordered what they wanted off the adults menu and that way they got a dessert too. No one asked any questions when i would order 4 meals. Just order what they want.

Disney mad mummy of two xx
Windyseddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 08:35 PM   #14
sugarray
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windyseddon View Post
Our children hated the kids menu they just ordered what they wanted off the adults menu and that way they got a dessert too. No one asked any questions when i would order 4 meals. Just order what they want.

Disney mad mummy of two xx
+2

We just got back yesterday and our 9 yo and 7 yo ordered adult QS meals 90% of the time, maybe more. No since paying for something you don't need to. We were never questioned.
sugarray is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: