Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2013, 07:16 AM   #1
disney631
Earning My Ears

Please help me decide

So we decided October will be the best month for us to cruise. Now I have 2 options.
1. Sail the Magic which from what I hear will get a new renovation..it's a 5 night Bahamian Cruise. And more expensive..

2. Sail the Dreams, 4 night Bahamian Cruise. About 1k cheaper.

Some things about us..it's our first cruise, we have 3 kids ranging from 7yr to 1yr old. I know the Magic will stop at Key West which we really don't care for and will stay onboard for that stop.

I will than have to factor in excursion cost which I haven't looked at but I'm thinking we can stop in Bahamas and do a Dolphin excursion which might be $100 or more per person. I also would like to plan some adult time and go to the spa.

So do we pay more for an additional day and new body (cruise wise) or since it's our first cruise go little and do upgrades for the next trip if we end up loving the cruise life.

I hope I'm asking the right questions, this is really new to me so I don't know what to expect.

Also another option would be to down grade on the catergory. Right now we're looking at Deluxe Oceanview. Is it safe to say that you can't go wrong with any room your choose?

Also do they offer any special along the way?
disney631 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:27 AM   #2
reevesinga
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney631 View Post
So we decided October will be the best month for us to cruise. Now I have 2 options.
1. Sail the Magic which from what I hear will get a new renovation..it's a 5 night Bahamian Cruise. And more expensive..

2. Sail the Dreams, 4 night Bahamian Cruise. About 1k cheaper.

Some things about us..it's our first cruise, we have 3 kids ranging from 7yr to 1yr old. I know the Magic will stop at Key West which we really don't care for and will stay onboard for that stop.

I will than have to factor in excursion cost which I haven't looked at but I'm thinking we can stop in Bahamas and do a Dolphin excursion which might be $100 or more per person. I also would like to plan some adult time and go to the spa.

So do we pay more for an additional day and new body (cruise wise) or since it's our first cruise go little and do upgrades for the next trip if we end up loving the cruise life.

I hope I'm asking the right questions, this is really new to me so I don't know what to expect.

Also another option would be to down grade on the catergory. Right now we're looking at Deluxe Oceanview. Is it safe to say that you can't go wrong with any room your choose?

Also do they offer any special along the way?
Personally for my family, we like longer cruises. We have done 4 days on the Wonder and it seemed like we were getting off just as we were starting to 'relax!' However, you do what is best for you and your family (including your budget) after all, it is your first, so there is nothing to compare! Secondly, we have stayed in an inside room and a deluxe family, all are fine. We actually enjoy inside rooms, there isn't an outside source of light and we sleep longer and nap better!!
We also have done several DCL excursions and have not been thoroughly impressed with any of them for the amount of $ we paid! So we usually just get off the boat and wonder around! Our daughter has seen youtube videos of people being left by the ship, so she gets nervous if we are off too long!!!
Just ask questions, most everyone on here loves to help and share experiences!
Happy cruising!!!!
reevesinga is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-14-2013, 09:09 AM   #3
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

I would rather go to Key West than Nassau. (A lot of people don't bother to leave the ship in Nassau.)

And five days are better than four.

We prefer the size of the Magic over the Dream.

And we're looking forward to seeing the re-imagined Magic.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 09:19 AM   #4
gotomu212
Mouseketeer

If it was my first one, I'd pick the Dream only because the Magic is so close to its drydock. There is a risk that the Magic won't be completely ready and that some public areas might still be worked on or other little hiccups.

If I'd sailed before I wouldn't let it bother me, but for the first one if you want to see the full Disney treatment, in this instance, I would go with the Dream.
gotomu212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:08 PM   #5
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

OP, are you looking at next month, or next year?
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:22 PM   #6
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

We've cruised all 4 ships, but If you won't get off at Key West (one of our favorite stops) I'd go with the Dream .
darkwing818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 02:23 PM   #7
disney631
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb in AZ View Post
OP, are you looking at next month, or next year?
Sorry should have mentioned that this is for next year. October 2014
disney631 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: