Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2013, 10:59 PM   #31
jwhtewolfd
DIS Veteran

Fun fact: the females weave the orbs and are the big spiders you see sitting in the middle. The males are smaller and travel around trying to find the females' webs.

Hurricane Pet Preparedness
'88 / '93 CR / '01 / 9-21-08 ASMo / 9-24-09 Pop / 1-19-11 ASMu / 9-24-11 CBR Pirate! / 1-18-12 ASMo / 1-23-13 AoA / 9-23-13 ASMo / 1-17-14 Pop (NAVC) / 1-22-14 ASMu / 3-1-14 CSR
jwhtewolfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 02:08 AM   #32
NHdisneylover
Lanyards are taking all my poor organizatioanl skills
mice and such creatures tend to like to travel aorund

Outside? Like most here, I would absolutely leave it.

My blog about my wanderings and ramblings in Europe, Disney and where ever else life takes me:

http://hadleyswanderingsandramblings.blogspot.de/
NHdisneylover is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-15-2013, 04:58 AM   #33
PizzieDuster
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereAndBackAgain View Post
Depends on where it is. Out of the way and outside, not a problem. Right in front of my door or inside where I can see it, I'm getting a broom.
Yes. Out side, in the bushes, etc., I'll leave them alone. In the front door, or especially in the house I get my hair spray out. Tip from my sister. It works!

We get our house sprayed so if they make it through that in the bushes, they belong there!

I swear I believe in that tale that if you flush a spider down the toilet they come back bigger and with friends.

Spider webs with morning dew on them can look so beautiful. I'll look for the female and male spiders now. For like 3 seconds. (But I will leave them alone. Great information!)
Royal Carribean - Explorer of the Seas 4/16/06
Royal Carribean - Freedom of the Seas 4/8/07
Returning to the Magic - 6/29/08 - West Coast
Liberty of the Seas - 4/09
Disney Wonder Mother/DD12 Cruise to Nowhere 1/21/11
Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 1/29/12 Mother/DD13 Cruise (taking Grandma and Nephew DN5 along)
Disney Wonder - 1/24/14 5 Night Wonder {gift}
Disney Fantasy - 3/29/14 Western

Last edited by PizzieDuster; 09-15-2013 at 05:04 AM.
PizzieDuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:57 AM   #34
lucas
°o°

Me? Take it down!

lucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:26 AM   #35
Swimnoid
DIS Veteran

We get tons of spiders and huge webs around here since we live in the woods. I usually leave them alone. One time last year a big one got in the house and I flushed it. That night I had a dream I answered a knock on the door and it was a man size spider coming for revenge! That woke me up pretty quick!
Swimnoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 06:31 PM   #36
bettymae1121
sure. fine. whatever.

As much as I dislike spiders (also highly allergic to their bites...) as long as they are outside and out of the way I leave them alone. They catch other insects that I also don't like, besides if it isn't bothering me, why bother it?

bettymae1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 06:46 PM   #37
Jedana
Have to learn to budget somehow. Want the latest video game? Save up. Want a new Beyblade? save up. Want a new Dooney and Burke? Grab the credit card out of DH's wallet...

The bugs and spiders have an agreement with me.

They stay outside, and away from my doors...they can live.

They come inside or get on the doors...they will die.

Last week, there was a giant locust on the back porch. I let the dog out and she kept "nosing" it. It flew away. Right over the house onto the driveway. I opened the garage door to take out the trash and there it was. It was right in my path. I threw empty 2 liter bottles at it and it wouldn't move. I sprayed with the bug spray...it walked out of the spray as though it were taking a leisurely stroll on the boardwalk. I got the dog and had the dog go after it. It hopped/flew onto the grass on my neighbors lawn and sat there. Stupid locust.

A few days ago, I went to let the dog out to the backyard. It was at night, and I turn on the light and look to make sure the snake isn't back. (Red, black and white, so is ok it's there). Well, it wasn't but the biggest black spider was, right on the brick step in front of the screen door.

The body on that thing must have been 1 1/2 inches.

So I kept the screen door closed. And sprayed it with bug spray.

The thing erupted.

That is the only way to describe it. Baby spiders just erupted off that big spider and it ran down the porch. I'm spraying through the screen door the whole time. I got all the babies that came off of it. But that stupid spider ran off.

I have nightmares that it came back and killed me because I killed its babies.

I hate bugs. and spiders. and snakes.
Jedana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:10 PM   #38
Mimi2angels
Earning My Ears

I detest the creepy crawly things. There have been an abundance of them lately. If I run into a web I do a shuddering dance like you've never seen! If I see one inside or outside, it will die!
Mimi2angels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:44 PM   #39
jetskigrl

Ignorance is definitely bliss sometimes!
Ok...lets shake things up a bit

If they are off to the side, in bushes etc, they can stay. But anything in areas that me or the kids will be walking has to come down.

I was walking through our back apartment (connected to our garage) on my way to work one morning and almost went face first into a huge web. I jumped back, tripped and fell backwards against an oven, landing on my butt with the oven door open. I also ended up with a huge bruise on my arm.

I'm pretty sure the spider was laughing at me the whole time too

Next Up:
jetskigrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 06:47 AM   #40
lurkernj
DIS Veteran

If they are outside, I don't bother them, that's where they belong.

If they are in the house and close to a door I will move them outside.

If they are in my bedroom or bathroom, they're toast.

I Can't BELIEEEEVE I Did This!!!! An Oct 2014 Pre-trip report

All the makings of a Disaster, Sept 2012

Split stay: Yacht Club/Pop Oct 1-Oct 8 DH/me
Art of Animation - April 2013 BFF trip
Port Orleans Resort - Sept 23-30, 2012 (Group trip)
Port Orleans Resort - Dec 10-15, 2010 (BFF trip)
POP Century - Sept 12-18, 2009 (Me and DS11)
Port Orleans Resort - Sept 2-12, 2008 (Group trip)
lurkernj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:05 AM   #41
Lisaren
Mouseketeer

Outside - I leave them alone until it is time to sweep all the webs off my porch. Then I just destroy all their webs but leave the spiders alone. If they are in my house - if they are on the ceiling they can stay. If the get on the wall or the floor - bye bye spider. All other bugs are killed or relocated outside depending on what they are.
Lisaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:32 AM   #42
HM
A tag from the TF is better than a personalized licence plate

Killing spiders inside the house is DHs job. Outside, they get to live, especially if they are killing other annoying pests around the house.
HM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:58 AM   #43
MinnieLovesMickey12
DIS Veteran

Location: Way down South near the banks of the mighty Mississippi River.

I would kill it if it were somewhere I can get to it with Raid. I hate Spiders and will not leave them to hang around and multiply.
12/7-12/13/14 Wyndham Bonnet Creek-- Adults Only trip 10/31-11/10/15 Wyndham Bonnet Creek -- Family Trip
MinnieLovesMickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:16 AM   #44
Kies99
I Can has Cheezburger???

I used to be like most of you. My thought was if it's inside it dies, outside it lives.

Then I got bit on the face by one and came close to losing my eye. I still have a small chunck of flesh missing between the top of my nose and right eye.

Now all spiders die regardless of where they are!

Unless they are those little jumping spiders. For whatever reason I find them kind of cute so I let them live (as long as they are outside).
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, bacon in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO what a ride!"

Some people are like slinkies, they don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!

Kies99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:59 AM   #45
Sorsha
People, don't be like the chickens

Gone. SO gone. "Gone like a freight train" as the country song says.

I HATE spiders. I don't care if they are inside or out, harmful or harmless, beneficial or not. So they eat the bugs, you say? I'd rather have the bugs, I say. Evil, nasty, horrifying things. Nothing with more than 6 legs should exist on this earth unless it has come from the ocean and has been cooked and is on my plate with a nice drawn-butter and lemon sauce.

A spider outside, if I can get at it, gets a nice coating of Raid until it curls up and falls to the ground in spasms of agony. Then, as I am laughing manically/hysterically, it's dead body gets smashed into oblivion with a heavy object. Finally, the web is removed with the end of a rake or a broom.

Then I go into the house and have a strong drink to fortify myself.

Yeah. Me and spiders? Not so much.

Upcoming California and Disneyland Pre-Trip!
"My kids' through the years at Disney parks" video!
Sorsha is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: