Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2013, 09:28 AM   #16
Sgt Mickey
I will always remember where I was that day
I am defiantly going to attempt as many as I can
I thought I had never up there but I think I erased it and my brain went somewhere else

Since it is outside I would leave them alone. Like someone else already said I would be happy knowing of all the bugs it is eating.
Sgt Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 10:33 AM   #17
StephMK
DIS Veteran

Outside, they are left alone. I also don't really see many webs around our house so it hasn't been an issue. They don't bother me unless they reach a certain size, then they freak me out.

My younger DD(13) seems to attract them! She is the only one who seems to find spiders around her ALL the time. It freaks her out but I tell her she must have some cosmic connection to them. Last year, after trick or treating, she found TWO on her costume that she must have picked up somehow on her travels.

She will find them on her ceiling, in the bathroom when she is there, and one crawled out towards her in a chair that get used all the time. We can be in those same spaces and never see any but she finds them around her very often!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-14-2013, 10:37 AM   #18
emer95
DIS Veteran

When I was a teenager, I remember I found a huge spider web outside in my yard. I don't know why, but I knocked it down. I remember being filled with great remorse immediately after. That spider had worked so hard, and I tore it down for who knows what reason. Since then I have never taken one down.
Old 09-14-2013, 11:04 AM   #19
runsandjumps
DIS Veteran

Leave it there if it isn't in a needed walking path. My yard is covered with webs and I like to they are eating the bugs. I prefer spiders to flys and mosquitoes.

Actually when we play outside we have so many spider webs that I have taken to keeping my arms outstretched and waving so my hands catch the spider instead of my face.

Last edited by runsandjumps; 09-14-2013 at 11:14 AM.
runsandjumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 11:27 AM   #20
ILUVALASKA
Mouseketeer

I don't kill any living creatures unless they are poisonous and I am at risk.

me:DHDS

CMU Tartan Family
ILUVALASKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 11:32 AM   #21
bballmom56
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWBarb View Post
I noticed that during a small storm last week the oldest and largest web was shredded. Two days later it was good as new and that monster spider was back in the middle waiting for a meal. I was amazed. He/she seemed to stare me down while I marveled at it, as if to say, "I just dare you to mess with my hard work."
That's true. I have seen them repair damaged ones here. They are amazing and resilient.
bballmom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:37 PM   #22
CynJ
Caffeinated Insomniac

I'm really not a fan of spiders but I don't go out of my way to kill them - not even in the house. Little ones I leave alone - they not hurting anyone. Big ones get trapped (once I stop wanting to scream) and released outside.

Just recently this guy https://scontent-b-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/...41073682_n.jpg

pops up out of the baseboard heater in the bathroom when I was trying to tinkle at 2am. Took ALL my self control not to scream bloody murder. I corralled him into the large wonton container you see in the picture and then let him go the next day.

The only spider I've killed purposefully in recent memory was a black widow I found underneath my deck. I just didn't want any of us (or the dogs) to get bitten. That's a nasty bite.

1991 - Caribbean Resort
2002 - All Star Movies
2014 - Art of Animation
CynJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 03:01 PM   #23
disney1990
Wow, it make my heart skip a beat
I'm going to miss these when the season ends
Lighting the Way to Paradise

I wou,d leave it alone. Spiders are beneficial.

http://www.colostate.edu/Depts/CoopE...ts/spiders.htm

disney1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:35 PM   #24
njmom47
He's such a fiend!
The monkeys would go crazy on the cars
I wound up with orange tiger stripes

We currently have a "resident" on our deck. He is welcome to stay. There's also a web at work, from the leaves on the tree to the picnic table. My co-worker didn't see it and I pointed it out to her so she walked around the other side. We also had a web built in our back door area a few years ago. We didn't use the back door but one of ds's friends was a jerk and tore it down. I was really mad!
Bottom line: I leave them.

Junior Brody Stella Luna Ella the Bunny
Christmas 07/New Years 08-CBR (baseball), 2006-POR (cheering), 2001-Dixie Landings, 1988, 1975-Offsite
Trip was great...no new ticker for awhile!
My new avatar is one of my tags
njmom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:55 PM   #25
smallblackstars
Mouseketeer

I have no issues with spiders at all and I would certainly never kill one, especially one that was outside my home minding it's own business! If there is a spider inside I would usually leave it or lift it to a safer location if it was on the floor or a worktop but recently I have been capturing them and putting them outside as my cat Ninja has decided he quite likes the way spiders taste and will do everything he can to get to one when he spots it. I was actually sad to wake up to have the big spider (about the size of the palm of my hand) who had been happily living with us for months dropped at my feet by Ninja then promptly eaten after he had shown his prize to me. She had lived in our porch/stairway and was amazing at keeping the annoying bugs away during the summer.

Me (31), DH (26), DD (4), Ninja (2)

smallblackstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 09:07 PM   #26
HannaBelle
DIS Veteran

I hate spiders, inside or outside...they are all met with lethal force.

I much prefer a few lizards and snakes in the garden to eat bugs, possibly a few bats for the for mosquitos...lol...
Old 09-14-2013, 09:42 PM   #27
thinkerbell
DIS Veteran

One of my favorite memories of when my children were young was of the three of us sitting outside late one afternoon, in our hammock, watching a big spider make a huge web. We watched it walk around and around that web. It was the neatest thing to share with my kids.
I am not fond of spiders and will get rid of any that get into the house but if they are outside and I can at all avoid them, I will let them be.
thinkerbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 10:15 PM   #28
My2Qtz0205
DIS Veteran

I hate spiders, but if they are outside I will leave them alone. We usually have several orb weavers out this time of year, but we are having our trees and bushes treated for spider mites and parasites, so I'm guessing it is keeping the spiders away, also.

Spiders that come into my house are either vacuumed (once I muster the courage), or DH deals with them while I climb the furniture.

My December 2012 Trip Report via my Scrapbook: http://www.disboards.com/showthread....5#post49171745
My Almost a Grand Gathering, 10th Anniversary Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post34138322
My2Qtz0205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 10:18 PM   #29
Flight
Mouseketeer

Run away! Run away!
Flight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 10:52 PM   #30
lovesmurfs
I need to start thinking of pithy things to say
It costs him money every time I watch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokat76 View Post
I only get rid of webs attached to things I need to move or access ( my car, trashcans) and I try to leave the spiders alone. I have some amazingly beautiful webs on my porch right now. When the sun hits them...wow. They're amazing to see.
+1

Inside, I have an agreement that spiders can live as long as they stay where I can't reach them. As soon as they drop in arm's length, they're gone.

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society." Mark Twain

"Some people are like Slinkies. They serve no useful purpose, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs."
lovesmurfs is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: