Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2013, 04:35 PM   #31
klacey1
DIS Veteran

I decided to post two reviews today to make up for the fact that my last one was so short! Our dinner on our first full day was at Raglan Road! Overall, this was an okay meal, but one we probably wonít repeat. Food/service aside, I just donít think I like being in DTD at night enough. Between my various trips in the past two years, Iíve been to DTD A LOT and Iím kind of...over it? I think Iíll always like to do DTD on our arrival day, just because itís a nice way to ease into Disney, but Iíve hit up nearly every restaurant I want to try there. I just think Iíd rather be in/near the parks for dinner on future trips.
Anyway, we we checked in at 6:45 for our 7:00 p.m. reservation and were seated immediately. Our waiter was friendly enough, but seemed to forget about us. We were seated in a corner away from the Irish dancing stage, and he was serving our entire area. He would come check on every table, except us. Therefore, we didnít even order our entrees until 7:30. A touch annoying, but we didnít have any other plans that night, so it was fine.
I started with the League of Nations beer flight-- Magnerís Cider (Ireland), Yuengling (Germany), Warsteiner (Germany), and my all-time favorite beer, Newcastle Brown Ale (England). Iím not sure how representative of the League of Nations this flight was, but I loved all of them! I unfortunately saved Newcastle for last, as itís my favorite, and it was pretty lukewarm by the time I drank it. Oh well!

We also decided to pay OOP for something we had wanted at Cookeís of Dublin-- the battered sausages known as the Dalkey Duo!

These were fantastic, and both mine and Zachís favorite part of the meal! The sausages were piping hot and the batter was peppery and crunchy. I absolutely loved the accompanying mustard sauce; it was tangy and robust and the perfect accompaniment to the savory sausages.
Zach ordered the Serious Steak as his entree:

He thought this was only okay. Even though it was cooked to order, it was a bit forgettable. The mashed potatoes were bland. He says that if you like steak-- donít get it at Raglan Road!
I had the Sod the Stew.

I actually liked this pretty well. It was hearty and filling and the green beans were a nice touch, especially given all of the heavy food I had been eating. The stew didnít taste anything like Guinness and the meat was a touch chewy, but overall, it was decent.
For dessert, Zach had the Blackwell Beauty, a pear tart:

He did enjoy this. The pears were cooked perfectly and the almond crust was delicious. Heíd strongly recommend this.
My dessert was my absolutely favorite of the trip, Gerís Bread and Butter Pudding:

Um, yum. This was just incredibly rich and moist, with a crispy top. The sauces were hot and sweet. I didnít come close to finishing this, and it definitely could be shared by two or more people.
Itís funny, reading this now. We both loved our appetizer and dessert, and I did like my entree. So why wonít we go back? I think itís a combo of not loving DTD, as well as the weird service. Zach just said he got the distinct feeling the server just wanted us to leave. We didnít find the experience of dining welcoming or enjoyable. So, I donít hesitate to recommend Raglan Road for the food. Hopefully youíll have better service than we did!
klacey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:44 AM   #32
disneybarbie
Disney Princess

Subscribing!

Great updates... I've not eaten at Cookes (as you can imagine, fish & chip shops are pretty plentiful over here!) but I didn't know they served scallops.. my favourite seafood, mmm!

Never been to Germany for dinner either, but the food options look great - I'll have to add it to the 'future trips' restaurant list

I always have the taco salad at Pecos Bills too! The first time I ordered it, I didn't understand the fixings bar... so when all I was served was the taco shell & meat, I was a bit confused

That was funny about Zach's coffee cup name at Starbucks! Starbucks in the UK have only recently introduced asking for your name when you order.. my sister and I have 'coffee names' rather than giving our real names.. she is Meg (from Hercules) and I am Charlotte (from Princess & the Frog)

We've eaten at Raglan Road twice, and while the food was great - the service was too quick, one time the entrees came before the appetisers! the desserts look excellent though.

Looking forward to more!

Emma x
disneybarbie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-23-2013, 11:34 AM   #33
Mrs T 2009
DIS Veteran

LOVE Pecos Bills!! Haven't tried the yahoo salad, but looks yummy! I'm a lover of the cake as well! NEVER finish it, but it's delicious!!!
The atmosphere is great in their too!!

Never been to raglan road, but I would get annoyed over the poor service. Glad you liked most of your food there though!!
Sept 2009- CSR/ Oct 2010- CSR&CBR/ May 2011-POFQ/ Sept 2011- Bonnet Creek/ Oct 2012- POP!/ April 2013- day trip/ Oct 2013- Disneyland/July 2014-OKW/ Oct 2014- AoA&AKLV/ Jan 2015- Sarasota&GFV/June 2015- AKLV

Last edited by Mrs T 2009; 09-23-2013 at 11:41 AM.
Mrs T 2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 02:25 PM   #34
mi*vida*loca
DIS Veteran

Love the reviews!

We aren't big DTD people either. I am trying to fit in a night or two on our next trip. I haven't been to DTD since 2008.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:02 AM   #35
klacey1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneybarbie View Post
Subscribing!

Great updates... I've not eaten at Cookes (as you can imagine, fish & chip shops are pretty plentiful over here!) but I didn't know they served scallops.. my favourite seafood, mmm!

Never been to Germany for dinner either, but the food options look great - I'll have to add it to the 'future trips' restaurant list

I always have the taco salad at Pecos Bills too! The first time I ordered it, I didn't understand the fixings bar... so when all I was served was the taco shell & meat, I was a bit confused

That was funny about Zach's coffee cup name at Starbucks! Starbucks in the UK have only recently introduced asking for your name when you order.. my sister and I have 'coffee names' rather than giving our real names.. she is Meg (from Hercules) and I am Charlotte (from Princess & the Frog)

We've eaten at Raglan Road twice, and while the food was great - the service was too quick, one time the entrees came before the appetisers! the desserts look excellent though.

Looking forward to more!

Emma x
I can definitely understand why you guys haven't gone to Cookes, but I'd definitely recommend it! Again, those scallops were FANTASTIC!
Haha, love your Starbucks names!! I usually just give my last name, as Kylie is usually too difficult for people haha.
I'd totally go back to Raglan for appetizers and dessert. Although you can get the same sausages from the Dalkey Duo at Cookes, so who knows if we'll go back?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs T 2009 View Post
LOVE Pecos Bills!! Haven't tried the yahoo salad, but looks yummy! I'm a lover of the cake as well! NEVER finish it, but it's delicious!!!
The atmosphere is great in their too!!

Never been to raglan road, but I would get annoyed over the poor service. Glad you liked most of your food there though!!
Taco salad was filling and delicious-- I agree, the cake is way too rich to finish on your own!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi*vida*loca View Post
Love the reviews!

We aren't big DTD people either. I am trying to fit in a night or two on our next trip. I haven't been to DTD since 2008.
Thanks! Wow! I think I have to go to DTD every trip, but I think just once, on arrival day for lunch, is more than enough time for us!
Old 09-25-2013, 09:23 PM   #36
RGirl
DIS Veteran

Amazing how poor service can pretty close to ruin a meal, isn't it?

The food at RR does look really delicious though!
RGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:43 PM   #37
klacey1
DIS Veteran

Hereís another quick review. Writerís Stop is our absolute favorite bakery in all of WDW. Itís usually quiet, rarely busy, and has one of my absolute favorite Disney-exclusive treats: the carrot cake cookie:

This delicious whoopie-pie like treat was SO Delicious (for breakfast. Eh hem). The cream cheese frosting was rich and sweet, and the cool, not-too-sweet ďcookieĒ bit was the perfect contrast. I managed to eat about half of this-- itís rich and huge. Iíd definitely split this with another person.

Zach went for a more boring choice-- a chocolate chip muffin.

He found it cool (it was refrigerated) and refreshing. It wasnít overly dense the way a lot of muffins can be. He would definitely get this again.

Writerís Stop gets a 10 out of 10 for a relaxing atmosphere and yummy treats!

Old 10-01-2013, 03:44 PM   #38
klacey1
DIS Veteran

Annnd another quickie. Lunch this day was at Pizza Planet, pretty much the only CS in DHS that we go to. We both got the pepperoni pizza with the caesar salad:

This pizza was actually a little oversauced for my liking, so it was pretty hard to eat, even with a knife and fork. However, it was hot and did the job. The salad dressing, which I found watery and flavorless last time, was actually garlic-y and creamy. The lettuce was perfectly crisp and it was a nice contrast to the pizza.

Zach had the cappuccino cupcake for dessert, and I had the chocolate chip cookie. We only took a bite each of our desserts-- we were just too full from lunch. As a tip-- the restaurant was pretty busy downstairs around 1:30, and we didnít feel like trudging all the way upstairs, so we decided to eat outside. Even though it was incredibly hot, the AC from the inside kept our area nice and cool. No one else was outside, so it was private and quiet and relaxing, too, which is a rarity in Disney CS places!

We give Pizza Planet a 9 out of 10. Even for this pizza snob of a NYer, I find it to be solid, filling, reliable food that weíll come back to every time weíre in DHS.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:30 AM   #39
Mrs T 2009
DIS Veteran

The carrot cookie is delicious!!! Writers stop is soo quaint and relaxing

We tried pizza planet our last visit and it wasn't as bad as I thought it might be. It is a very filing CS place, but worth the $$
Sept 2009- CSR/ Oct 2010- CSR&CBR/ May 2011-POFQ/ Sept 2011- Bonnet Creek/ Oct 2012- POP!/ April 2013- day trip/ Oct 2013- Disneyland/July 2014-OKW/ Oct 2014- AoA&AKLV/ Jan 2015- Sarasota&GFV/June 2015- AKLV

Old 10-02-2013, 10:18 AM   #40
klacey1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs T 2009 View Post
The carrot cookie is delicious!!! Writers stop is soo quaint and relaxing

We tried pizza planet our last visit and it wasn't as bad as I thought it might be. It is a very filing CS place, but worth the $$
I know Disney pizza gets a bad rap, but I think it's really fine!
Old 10-02-2013, 10:19 AM   #41
klacey1
DIS Veteran

We select one signature meal each trip, and this vacation it was Yachtsman. This was kind of a do-over meal for us, as we had eaten here the last night of our trip in 2009 and I was too sad about our trip ending to really enjoy it! However, Zach had loved his steak and dessert, and I was obsessed with those onion rolls, so we decided we had to give Yachtsman another chance.

We checked in at 5:45 for our 6:00 p.m. reservation, with a specific request: NO view of Stormalong Bay! I know a lot of people love this pool, but eating a fancy meal while people splash around is not exactly the atmosphere we we wanted. The restaurant was practically empty, so they had no problem seating us in about five minutes, at a table in the second room, along the wall on the opposite side of the pool. We were the only people in our section for most of the meal, and it was quiet and romantic.

Our server greeted us pretty quickly and explained that if we did not like the side listed with an entree item, we were only allowed to sub in green beans, mashed potatoes, or a twice baked potato. This seemed...incorrect. I’m pretty positive I’ve read reviews of people subbing in sides from the sides menu, or really any side they wanted. This was really the first instance of being kind of wary of our server. She was just kind of...odd. Robotic, really. Everything she said sounded scripted and rehearsed. It was strange and not particularly welcoming. I don’t think she smiled once. Service was also incredibly slow. This was a two hour meal-- crazy when we only had two courses! We didn’t get the onion rolls until fifteen minutes after we ordered our entrees (and saw other tables getting them, so it’s not like they were still baking or anything).

I also had a problem when I asked if I could order the filet, but sub in the hanger steak sides. I said of course I would pay the price of the filet ($48), and not the hanger steak ($38). I realize we were on free dining and I wouldn’t really be “paying,” but it would be affect the tip price. The waitress’s response? “That’ll be a six dollar charge.” What?? I’m subbing in a more expensive steak, will be paying the price of the more expensive steak, AND be charged $6 for what reason?? I questioned her on this, and she simply said it was the chef’s rule (um, really?). I really wanted the sides the hanger steak came with and wasn’t in the mood to argue, so I just said fine.

After that little incident, I decided I definitely needed some alcohol, so I ordered the Glowtini:

Yum! I love drinking martinis with steak and this was perfect. Not sweet, and not too strong.

Here’s my $54 filet meal:

After glowing reviews, I just had to pay OOP for the truffle mac and cheese too:

Um, wow. This meal was just incredible. The steak was perfectly cooked (medium rare)-- melt in your mouth and seasoned perfectly. I only had a bite or two of the greens, but they were fresh and a touch vinegar-y. I wasn’t a huge fan of the herb butter, and honestly, the steak didn’t need it. The truffle fries were THE BOMB. They were salty and delicious on their own, or dipped in the aoli. I like my truffle fries to be kind of limp, but not soggy, and these were perfection.

The truffle mac and cheese was also amazing. Clearly, I love truffles/truffle oil! This side was gooey and cheesy, the pasta perfectly al dente. The tobacco onions provided the perfect texture contrast. I could have had just this for my meal and would have been perfectly content. And thankfully, Zach does not like truffle oil OR mac and cheese, so I had this amazing dish (and the fries) all to myself!

Zach had the New York strip with green beans and the peppercorn sauce on the side:

Sorry the photo is so blurry! This was clearly a much more reasonable meal than mine, ehem. He also loved this food. He actually took some of the salted butter from the bread and topped his steak with it, which he said was the perfect compliment. The peppercorn brandy sauce just tasted a little too alcohol to him, so he barely used it. The green beans, while boring, were cooked exactly the way he likes (buttery with a bit of a crunch). A home run.

I did not get pictures of our desserts, but I had the trio of gelato. The chocolate was my favorite-- nice and creamy. I only managed a few bites, however, as I was stuffed from my dinner. Zach had the chocolate pretzel/peanut dish, which he thought was really good. It was incredibly rich, however, and he only had a few bites, too.

The waitress dropped off the check with the desserts, and I gave my KTTW over. When she came back, she said she charged the OOP costs to our room. Um, thanks for asking? It wasn’t a huge deal, but we had planned on paying the OOP costs and tip in cash. I don’t know why she didn’t ask first.

For food, we’d give Yachtsman a 9. Atmosphere would clock in around a 6, and service a 2. I really wanted to love the entire experience of this meal, but it just didn’t happen. Zach and I agreed that with the amazing steak we can get around here (both in restaurants and made by Zach!), we won’t be returning, at least not for awhile.

Last edited by klacey1; 10-02-2013 at 10:31 AM.
Old 10-02-2013, 01:47 PM   #42
disneybarbie
Disney Princess

Mmmm the food at Yachtsman Steakhouse looks amazing! We went there during our honeymoon and had an excellent meal, and we've booked again for the night after the half marathon in January (apparently runners need protein after distance runs, so I thought YC was a good choice!). I'll have to remember about that truffle mac & cheese
Such a shame about the server, it can really make or break a meal experience

Emma x
disneybarbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:02 PM   #43
Euphoria027
Mouseketeer

Your server at Yachtsman sounds like a piece of work, lol! I'm a server myself so I usually just keep to myself when people complain about service issues as so much of it is out of the server's hands, but I'd be put off by service like that. Your steak looks amazing though!! I'm glad the food was good.
Euphoria027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:32 AM   #44
Mrs T 2009
DIS Veteran

I'm so sad your whole experience was not up to par

We've gone quite a few tines and ask for Oscar. He is AWESOME and provides wonderful service! Twice we've gone and had other servers who just didn't seem as "nice/friendly".

I hope, if you ever go again, you have much better service!!!

Also, LOVE the onion rolls!!! And the truffle Mac n cheese is to die for!!!! Yum!!

Old 10-03-2013, 11:01 PM   #45
RGirl
DIS Veteran

Your YSH experience is so similar to mine - it is almost disturbing. Great food, really NOT-great service! I know that service like that can just about ruin a meal. *sigh*
RGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: