DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2013, 03:53 PM   #1
jerseyduke
Mouseketeer

Resale Pricing question

There are 3 properties I look at regularly.
OKW, VWL, BCV.

OKW is older, its bigger, i get all that...so resale it tends to be one of the cheaper properties.

What I do not understand is the asking prices I see for BCV.

I see a lot of them higher than BLT prices (which is 165 direct, vs 130 for BCV).

BCV compared to VWL seems to run 10-20% higher than VWL (for which I see fewer resale contracts listed right now)
So supply of VWL is lower.

I know resale is at an all time high right now and i understand that.

Its just BCV prices that seem out of wack to me.

Prior to 2008 (few at the poly, few off property)
2008 - AllStars
2010 - Poly
2012 - Poly/PO-RS
2013 - VGF&WL
2014 - AKL & OKW
jerseyduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 04:08 PM   #2
DenLo
DIS Veteran

People will pay extra for something they really want. There was a limited number of BCV contracts recently through Disney which caused a waiting list. Now people are grabbing up resale contracts for BCV like no tomorrow, just in case.

All resales have been going up in value as the economy improves. Just like in real estate some properties are hotter.

DenLo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-13-2013, 04:22 PM   #3
RLevy29
Vacation Lover

Remember that asking prices are negotiable. If there is a property that you really want you can make an offer. It doesn't cost anything to try and you may get lucky!
RLevy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 04:56 PM   #4
dmunsil
Disney Uber-Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyduke View Post
BCV compared to VWL seems to run 10-20% higher than VWL (for which I see fewer resale contracts listed right now)
So supply of VWL is lower.
Last month the median price recorded for BCV was $85/pt, and for VWL it was $82. So they're not that far apart.

Beach Club is popular. People like Epcot, they like the various festivals like Food & Wine and Flower & Garden. They like the area. I think Boardwalk is also popular, but there's more supply of rooms, so the median price is $80 for Boardwalk.

And BLT's median price was $98 last month, so it's still quite a ways higher than everything else, except (probably) for VGC, which we don't have clear data on.

Also, keep in mind that the prices realized from the biggest sellers like The Timeshare Store tend to skew a little higher than the market as a whole. The "distressed" sellers who are looking to get out super fast are more likely to end up at Fidelity, since that's the brokerage Disney sends you to if you call and ask how to sell your membership.
dmunsil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 04:59 PM   #5
GOOFY D
DIS Veteran

I purchased my DVCs (BLT and BWV) in the latter half of 2012 and am stunned at how high prices have climbed since then.

1988 - Polynesian * 1995 - Carribean Beach * 1996 - All Star Sports * 1997 - Candy Cane (Disneyland) * 1998 - All Star Music * 1999 - Contemporary * 1999 - Contemporary * 2000 - Disney Wonder /Coronado Springs * 2000 - All Star Sports * 2001 - Disney Magic (Eastern) * 2002 - Disney Magic (Western) * 2003 - All Star Movies * 2004 - Disney Magic (Eastern-San Juan) * 2006 - Contemporary * 2006 - Coronado Springs * 2007 - All Star Sports/Animal Kingdom Lodge * 2008 - All Star Sports * 2009 - Disney Magic (Western) * 2009 - All Star Movies * 2010 - Disney Magic (Eastern) * 2011 - All Star Sports * 2012 - Disney Fantasy (Western) * 2013 - Animal Kingdom Villas-Kidani * 2013 - Bay Lake Tower * 2014 - Boardwalk Villas
GOOFY D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 05:11 PM   #6
jerseyduke
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmunsil View Post
Last month the median price recorded for BCV was $85/pt, and for VWL it was $82. So they're not that far apart.

Beach Club is popular. People like Epcot, they like the various festivals like Food & Wine and Flower & Garden. They like the area. I think Boardwalk is also popular, but there's more supply of rooms, so the median price is $80 for Boardwalk.

And BLT's median price was $98 last month, so it's still quite a ways higher than everything else, except (probably) for VGC, which we don't have clear data on.

How did you get those numbers? Not questioning them, just curious.

I realize that resale asking prices were just that, ASKING, but that is all i looked at.

Prior to 2008 (few at the poly, few off property)
2008 - AllStars
2010 - Poly
2012 - Poly/PO-RS
2013 - VGF&WL
2014 - AKL & OKW
jerseyduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 05:40 PM   #7
dmunsil
Disney Uber-Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyduke View Post
How did you get those numbers? Not questioning them, just curious.

I realize that resale asking prices were just that, ASKING, but that is all i looked at.
From the Orange County FL Comptroller's site. I pull down all the resale deeds for a month, enter the info from the deeds and calculate a per-point price. The price info isn't really perfect information because there's no way to know whether the contract was stripped or loaded, who paid closing costs, etc. But I figure that stuff mostly averages out.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:43 PM   #8
dmunsil
Disney Uber-Nerd

Here's a post I did for June:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3136687
Old 09-13-2013, 08:30 PM   #9
Nabas
Mouseketeer

Prices at BCV have continued to climb. Asking prices are now well into the $90s per point, with small contracts over $100 per point. VWL asking prices have been relatively flat since June, in the low $80s.

IMHO, VWL's big advantage used to be that it was the only Magic Kingdom Resort. Once the VGF and Poly DVC open, VWL just won't have the same appeal.

BCV's is just as small and only competes with the twice-as-large BWV, which has the Boardwalk. With Food & Wine Festival within walking distance and Stormalong Bay, IMHO BCV should be priced higher than VWL.

So:

1) BCV is very small, about the same size as VWL and half the size of the nearby BWV
2) BCV is within easy walking distance of the World Showcase
3) BCV has Stormalong Bay
4) BCV is within easy walking distance of the Boardwalk

Last edited by Nabas; 09-13-2013 at 08:40 PM.
Nabas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:06 AM   #10
cindymouse6
"Remember, it all started with a Mouse!"

why BCV???

Well, as someone who own at 3 DVC's, BCV pool cannot be pooled hopped ..... you must stay at BCV to use the pool..... it is also the closest to Epcot, which for many adults who love Flower and Garden and Food and Wine, it is an amazing resort. we love it for the 4/5 star pool rating!!! don't know what that is this year, but we love the proximity to Epcot and the pool. We sold Boardwald but kept Beach club to buy Bay Lake... that's how much we love Beach club...

New Years and marathon OKW 2013-2014; VGF April 2014; BCV July 2014; BLT Oct.2014
cindymouse6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:50 AM   #11
Pirate Granny
DIS Veteran

We own at all three. Bought OKW two years ago for mid $50's. We bought for the GV and also the laid back theming. Not a fan of the main pool (no zero entry), or the kiddie pool (cement hole), but love the golf course views. We bought BCV for the POOL and walk to EPCOT. We love flower and garden show, and food and wine. Bought it last year resale, two small contracts and paid low $80's. We bought VWL this spring, after I took hubby there for Christmas decorations. We loved the atmosphere, the decorations and the boat ride to MK. Purchased those for mid $70's. We are finished buying...VGF and possible Poly don't appeal to us...a very small contract at BLT may, we've stayed either the first night or last night and enjoy the pool and fireworks from the balcony...not so much the room decor, pool is OK, but small. That's what is nice about DVC, there is something that appeals to everyone. Just finished a short trip to BWV, not for me, but it was a nice room and trip, especially the walk to the studios. NOT the clown pool"

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: