Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2013, 01:32 AM   #16
n8nally
DIS Veteran

Sept 1, 2013 Dream Trip Report Part 3

I decided that rather than arrange for a wake-up call I would just order some coffee from room service and get it delivered when I wanted to wake up. We ended up doing this every day and it worked out great!

Aside from coffee that first morning I also ordered us fruit plates. YUM!

They also made sure we got FOUR containers of vanilla soy milk!

After a little time watching the gorgeous view (cat 5A room 9014, port side forward) from our verandah, we got dressed and headed to Cabanas for our real breakfast, lol!

The spread at Cabanas was amazing! Here are just two pics, but the spread was HUGE!!

And we were quickly presented with a wonderful batch of gluten free choices (specially ordered for us by Selo) as well! The waffles were so delicious!!!

And we tried (and LOVED!) that tropical guava punch stuff everybody raves about from the drink station!

It was soon time to head to the meet-up location for our Blue Lagoon Dolphin Encounter, which was the Buena Vista Theater. We were checked in and given instructions on staying with the group and borrowing towels to take with us. The line to debark was longish, but we were still off the ship by 9:15.

We walked as a group to the dock where we boarded the ferry to Blue Lagoon Island. On board we were able to purchase some Bahamian refreshments!

The ride was pleasant, with Bahamian music playing (not too loud) and the operator pointing out sights and interesting facts along the way. Really a very nice ride.

We arrived in about 30 min and after listening to the presentation about dolphins and safety, we were able to change into our swimsuits and lock up our belongings before taking our places in the area where the Dolphin Experience was to occur. The changing areas and bathrooms were clean and well maintained. The people were all very friendly and kind.

Our time with the dolphins was so much fun and truly a once in a lifetime experience! We petted "our" dolphin, Salvador, danced with him, hugged him, kissed him and got wonderful pictures taken!

I was able to use my own waterproof camera and got some great shots!

We ended up buying just one of the professional photos for $16.99

Here's a picture of the picture:

Time for bed! More tomorrow!

I've eaten at 148 out of 247 restaurants at Walt Disney World (60%)
I've eaten at 56 out of 87 quick service/counter service restaurants at Walt Disney World (64%)
I've eaten at 39 out of 73 table-service restaurants at Walt Disney World (53%)
I've eaten at 6 out of 18 signature restaurants at Walt Disney World (33%)
I've eaten at 2 out of 3 dinner show restaurants at Walt Disney World (67%)

Last edited by n8nally; 09-14-2013 at 01:38 AM.
n8nally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 02:08 AM   #17
Pegasus928
DIS Veteran

What a wonderful and thorough report. As someone who will be a first time cruiser I am finding the detail in the information invaluable and can't wait to learn more.
And what a beautiful, happy family you all are. I can't remember the last time I saw smiles so big :-D
Pegasus928 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-14-2013, 05:04 AM   #18
Christy13
Earning My Ears

Following along. Can't wait to read more
Christy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 05:55 AM   #19
AustralianJetsetter
Mouseketeer

Oh you guys look positively stunning!!! What an awesome memory that photo will evoke for years to come :-)

We will be first time cruisers on the Dream next May & am loving your account so far. Thanks so much for sharing & good on you for doing something so special with your beautiful kiddies!!

AJ x
AustralianJetsetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:43 AM   #20
iloverags2
DIS Veteran

Joining in and loving your report! Love the picture of you three with the dolphin! What a beautiful photo for such a great memory!

Looking forward to hearing more about your cruise.

iloverags2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 09:58 AM   #21
NFLDERS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloverags2 View Post
Joining in and loving your report! Love the picture of you three with the dolphin! What a beautiful photo for such a great memory!

Looking forward to hearing more about your cruise.

And your children are so happy, good job mom.
NFLDERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 11:54 AM   #22
bbn1122
DIS Veteran

Enjoying your report...can not wait to hear more!

At Blue Lagoon did you get to anything more than Dolphin Encounter? I am interested in the beach day there....thanks..
AKL - Aug 2011,
HHI - August 2012
OKW - August 2014
Vero Beach - August 2014
Magic - West Carib April 2010, 2 night NYC June 2012
Dream - 3 night - August 2011 3 Night Dream - August 2014
bbn1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:38 PM   #23
bluesky1997
Mouseketeer

Loving this report so far and can't wait for more!
Old 09-14-2013, 09:48 PM   #24
summerrluvv
Work Hard. Have Fun.
Haven't candled my ears in a while!

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8nally View Post
We did! I'll post pics when I'm not at work!

BUT...............we remember seeing you guys! Your little girl's dress was stunning on embarkation day and my daughter and I were commenting about it! We must have been waiting to board at the same time. I think we saw you guys as you were getting that pic in your siggy taken! We were standing to the right of you :-)

Oh how funny! Thanks

Love your photos! The dolphin family pic is adorable, love it!
Old 09-15-2013, 12:27 PM   #25
sabnrob06
Mouseketeer

What a happy family you have! You all look like you're having the time of you life! I'm loving your report and photos. Thank you!! We will be on the Dream December 5th and can't wait.
Old 09-15-2013, 01:54 PM   #26
jtink60
Mouseketeer

Hi, We were on this sailing also. In fact, when I saw the view from your balcony it looked very familiar. We were in room 9012- right next door! We had a great time. I'm glad you did too. Great report!
jtink60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 04:30 PM   #27
n8nally
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbn1122 View Post
Enjoying your report...can not wait to hear more!

At Blue Lagoon did you get to anything more than Dolphin Encounter? I am interested in the beach day there....thanks..
We did! I was really unsure how the whole thing would work, because on the actual Blue Lagoon website it lists a "beach day" for an additional charge (when added to a dolphin or sea lion encounter) or you could purchase just a beach day. However, when I was signing up for this excursion on the DCL website, I didn't see a way to add a beach day to my dolphin experience. Another DISer said we would just be able to use the beach with no problem, so I took a chance and figured I'd see how it went. Well, Disney must set it up for us with beach included or something because the Blue Lagoon people were very encouraging to us to stay, eat, use the beach, hang out, etc. There is a wooden ramp/bridge that takes you from the dolphin experience area to the beach area. It is clearly marked. We just grabbed our bag after the dolphins and walked over.

I'm working on the next segment of my trip report and it includes this.

I've eaten at 56 out of 87 quick service/counter service restaurants at Walt Disney World (64%)

Old 09-15-2013, 04:33 PM   #28
n8nally
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtink60 View Post
Hi, We were on this sailing also. In fact, when I saw the view from your balcony it looked very familiar. We were in room 9012- right next door! We had a great time. I'm glad you did too. Great report!
Next door!! So cool!

Old 09-15-2013, 05:33 PM   #29
n8nally
DIS Veteran

I'm back! Busy weekend!

Thanks everyone for all the kind compliments!

Okie doke, on with the next part:

After the dolphin encounter was over we skipped the long line to look at the pictures and video and opted to do that later. Instead we grabbed our beach bag and followed the signs to the beach area. It was about a 10 min walk. Lovely scenery and so we took quite a few pics.

We got to the beach and it was almost totally empty! Plenty of lounge chairs and clean, soft sand! We hung out for about an hour. There were inner tube and other floatie rentals available but we skipped that, and just took in the sun and gorgeous beach.

At this point we got hungry and started talking about getting the next boat off the island. I read signs that there is a place to eat right there on Blue Lagoon, but I couldn't readily locate it and a big storm was brewing and I just didn't feel like getting caught on the island in a thunderstorm (I'm from Florida where lightning kills often!). We walked backed to the main dock area, and went to change. They have really nice, hot showers and a changing area and after we were all ready, we walked over to the photo area to view our pictures. There was only one picture you could purchase right away, the dolphin group shot I posted above. The rest of the photos had to be viewed online and ordered later. We bought the pic, (but passed on the video), did a little shopping in the gift shop and then walked to the dock to catch the 2pm boat back to Nassau. The boat dock overlooks one of the dolphin pools and we got this pic while waiting:

On the way back to Nassau we passed the most beautiful sight in the Caribbean:

We wanted to taste some authentic local cuisine so once we got off we asked the locals for a good place to eat. This is where I made a mistake. They all recommended Senor Frogs. I had never heard of the place and so I had no idea what kind of touristy, (drunk bar) kind of place it was. So, we innocently just walked over there.

They greeted us warmly at the door and sat us outside. The waiter and the rest of the staff were very friendly, but they are used to a different crowd, I think. At one point, an employee who was not our server came over and started making conch male anatomy jokes. To me and my KIDS! Sigh. I am a native New Yorker and really felt like I had to put my City Girl on when I playfully told him to stop talking and move along. He laughed and walked on to another table. It seems to be the culture to joke around and clearly they cater to a young party crowd. My DS had to go to the restroom at one point and it was on the other side of the bar. When he saw what was going on in the bar/dance area, he promptly came back and got me and asked me to accompany him. I was torn (leave my DD12 alone at the table, or send my DS15 alone to the drunk party), but I opted to go with him and it was nuts. Loud music, tons of half-naked drunk girls grinding on guys (and other girls) and big Bahamian guys trying to sell my son a cigar.

We did consider leaving, but as our actual waiter was so nice and respectful and friendly, and we were starved, we decided to stay. The outside area had lots of other tourists and I never felt unsafe. We ordered conch fritters and conch salad, which was prepared fresh at our table by another very nice and respectful waiter.

Conch Fritters (VERY good!)

The Conch for our salad (They cracked it out of the shell right in front of us! Talk about fresh!)

The finished product was SO yummy! All three of us really enjoyed it!

After lunch we headed to find the Straw Market and try to do some shopping.

That was also an experience, lol! Everyone was nice, just a different culture to ours and obviously a poor people trying hard to provide for their families. They don't let you just browse and they are very forward in trying to get people to buy their goods. We purchased a few things, but it really wasn't shopping like I enjoy doing. We headed back to the ship around 3:30, even though all aboard wasn't for two more hours.

The requisite Bahamas pic and then back on the ship to get ready for Dress-Up Night!!

Old 09-15-2013, 06:40 PM   #30
n8nally
DIS Veteran

Back on the ship with plenty of time, we headed to the room to relax a little. The first day had been very full and rushed, so it felt good to have time to shower and get dressed leisurely.

Good-bye (from our verandah) Nassau! We will likely not get off the ship next time, lol!

We got an elephant that day!

We were all very excited for Dress-Up night. I know there is a lot of back and forth regarding how to dress or not dress for dinner, but for us, getting dressed up makes it feel like a special occasion (which to us, being on a cruise is!) and so we were happy to get all dolled up!

The show that night was "Villains Tonight", which was fun and funny! Not as impressive as "The Golden Mickey's", but still pretty awesome!

We were scheduled for Animator's Palette and I was so impressed with how stunning this restaurant is! It was a lot more elegant than I imagined.

By the second night we had already fallen in love with our server Feridun

The food was amazing! We tried the cheddar cheese soup and the butternut squash soup as well as the truffle pasta, risotto and teriyaki beef. YUMMY! And Crush came by to talk to us!

All in all and fabulous dinner!

After dinner we changed and headed out to check out karaoke at D Lounge and take more pics as well as do some laundry!

I packed a lot of clothes (I thought) but did not account for how sweaty we would get, how many showers we'd take and our wet, salty bathing suits. So we hit the laundry room and did a load. It was easy and the system they have is great.

After the laundry, it was time for bed because the next day is Castaway Cay!!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: