Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2013, 09:00 PM   #1
over50visits
DIS Veteran

General Average Contribution

Ah, the wonderful Disney Cruise Line Cruise Contract we all agree to. You know, the one that states the food can be contaminated and/or unfit and the ship doesn't have to work or even be seaworthy (paragraph 18).

Our paragraph of the day:

Paragraph 34: "No Guest will be liable to pay, nor entitled to receive, any general average contribution in respect of any property taken with them on the Vessel."

Do you know what you're agreeing to here?
over50visits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:09 PM   #2
ariel fans
Mouseketeer

Does your name mean 50 cruises? Lol
ariel fans is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-12-2013, 09:44 PM   #3
jkburns
Mouseketeer

I'm not an attorney, nor by any means a legal expert, but my guess is that guests won't have to pay Disney if their luggage is damaged or lost and Disney won't have to pay guests if either happens.

Old 09-12-2013, 09:58 PM   #4
aliron
Mouseketeer

from Wikipedia

The law of general average is a legal principle of maritime law according to which all parties in a sea venture proportionally share any losses resulting from a voluntary sacrifice of part of the ship or cargo to save the whole in an emergency.

"1st. A common danger: a danger in which vessel, cargo and crew all participate; a danger imminent and apparently 'inevitable,' except by voluntarily incurring the loss of a portion of the whole to save the remainder.""

2nd. There must be a voluntary jettison, jactus, or casting away, of some portion of the joint concern for the purpose of avoiding this imminent peril, periculi imminentis evitandi causa, or, in other words, a transfer of the peril from the whole to a particular portion of the whole.""

3rd. This attempt to avoid the imminent common peril must be successful".

so.. if the something went wrong.. we all throw luggage over the ship.. and the ship is saved.. we can not ask Disney to reimburse for the lost luggage nor could Disney ask us to pay for other items that may be thrown overboard.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_average

Last edited by aliron; 09-12-2013 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Adding more from wiki
aliron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:50 PM   #5
over50visits
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliron View Post

so.. if the something went wrong.. we all throw luggage over the ship.. and the ship is saved.. we can not ask Disney to reimburse for the lost luggage nor could Disney ask us to pay for other items that may be thrown overboard.
Bingo!
Old 09-12-2013, 11:08 PM   #6
Bear3412
DIS Veteran

If pax truly felt the cruiselines would abide by the contract, no one would sail, I mean book. Have you read this contract.

Because according to the contract they could supply a different ship of any size, not leave port, as mentioned , supply inedible /contaminated food, all while not being held liable for any of these potential disruptions.

I'm soooo happy the lines do not hold us to the language in the contracts.
Hopefully they never will.

For someone on the fence, debating cruising for the first time, I recommend to bypass the contract language, or you will definitely not sail.
I now we paused briefly after a gander at the language. And have never looked back... at the contract. Most lines make up for any major issues generally anyway.

Again please don't read this if you are on the fence.
DCL Contract; http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/cr...ct/?country=us

What other business has this language, yet has customers, and repeat ones at that? Go figure.
Bear3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:22 AM   #7
MND
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by over50visits View Post
Ah, the wonderful Disney Cruise Line Cruise Contract we all agree to. You know, the one that states the food can be contaminated and/or unfit and the ship doesn't have to work or even be seaworthy (paragraph 18).

Paragraph 34: "No Guest will be liable to pay, nor entitled to receive, any general average contribution in respect of any property taken with them on the Vessel."

No. When are you going to tell us?
MND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:03 AM   #8
ilovetexas
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Yes. I'm agreeing to be smart enough to buy travel insurance.

But, just in case you are actually curious:

http://www.duhaime.org/LegalDictiona...alAverage.aspx
Old 09-13-2013, 10:37 AM   #9
jrabbit
DIS Veteran

It's been a while since I read the entire contract -- but doesn't it also say that if anything goes wrong, it's NOT Disney's fault.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:55 PM   #10
over50visits
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MND View Post
No. When are you going to tell us?
Aliron got it right...essentially, if the ship is sinking, the crew may starting throwing things overboard. An involved sea tradition where everyone chips in to pay for the losses of those who have stuff thrown overboard. There are a few other situations, but that's basically it. In the DCL contract, though, you won't get paid if they throw your stuff over and you won't have to chip in for others' losses.

One of the more obscure things we agree to when we sail.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:25 PM   #11
disney1990
Wow, it make my heart skip a beat
I'm going to miss these when the season ends
Lighting the Way to Paradise

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrabbit View Post
it's been a while since i read the entire contract -- but doesn't it also say that if anything goes wrong, it's not disney's fault.
bingo!!!!!!

disney1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:47 PM   #12
Wadekind
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear3412 View Post
If pax truly felt the cruiselines would abide by the contract, no one would sail, I mean book. Have you read this contract.

Because according to the contract they could supply a different ship of any size, not leave port, as mentioned , supply inedible /contaminated food, all while not being held liable for any of these potential disruptions.

I'm soooo happy the lines do not hold us to the language in the contracts.
Hopefully they never will.

For someone on the fence, debating cruising for the first time, I recommend to bypass the contract language, or you will definitely not sail.
I now we paused briefly after a gander at the language. And have never looked back... at the contract. Most lines make up for any major issues generally anyway.

Again please don't read this if you are on the fence.
DCL Contract; http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/cr...ct/?country=us

What other business has this language, yet has customers, and repeat ones at that? Go figure.
Something else for a new cruiser to understand is that just because you are allowed to do something doesn't mean you should especially with a business that relies 100% on peoples discretionary spending. Cruise lines aren't selling the basic necessities for living so no one has to buy their product. It wouldn't take long for any cruise line to go out of business if they implemented most of the things in the contract; even DCL.

This and the almost instant wrath of social media are the main reasons I don't really worry about the contract.
Wadekind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:16 PM   #13
jjje
One time I saw a guy wear cut-off jean shorts to dinner.

If the ship was going down and throwing luggage overboard someone stopped it from sinking Then I would happily volunteer my luggage to go overboard. But I'm not worried about that actually happening.

Mom Dad and two perfectly imperfect kids Son (13) and Daughter (8)

1982-89 too many trips to Disneyland to count, 1991 Disneyland Paris, 1994 Disney World @ Beach Club, 1999 Honeymoon in Disney World @ Caribbean Beach Resort, 2001 Disney World @ All Star Music, 2004 Disney World during Hurricane Jeanne @ All Star Sports, 2005 Disney World off property, 2006 Disney World with a newborn @ All Star Movies, 2008 Disney World to celebrate surrogacy #1 @ Port Orleans French Quarter, 2010 Disneyland to celebrate surrogacy #2, 2012 Disney World @ Port Orleans Riverside to celebrate surrogacy #3, 2013 Bahamas on the Magic, 2013 Caribbean on the Wonder, 2014 Panama Canal on the Wonder
jjje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:26 PM   #14
Wadekind
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjje View Post
If the ship was going down and throwing luggage overboard someone stopped it from sinking Then I would happily volunteer my luggage to go overboard. But I'm not worried about that actually happening.
Me too. There would also be a lot of deck chairs and dining room tables go overboard before I would ever get to my cabin for the luggage.

This sounds like an exclusion that was meant for a lot smaller ships. I can't imagine how much weight you would have to throw overboard to have any affect one of the new huge ships.
Wadekind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:53 PM   #15
DizneyNutz
DIS Veteran

Quote:

What are you trying to say Stay onshore O.K. Done with that what's next on our order of business tonight?

[Wrong is wrong even if everybody is doing it, and right is right even if nobody is doing it."
-St. Augustine]

Last edited by DizneyNutz; 09-14-2013 at 05:14 AM.
DizneyNutz is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: